• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's funny. Before I watched the entirety of SM with my friend, I was going off hearsay about the quality of SuperS. And then I actually watched it. It was utterly glorious (and probably the most sexually depraved season out of the lot).
The general claim is that it's mostly Chibiusa and because Chibiusa sucks the series sucks. Whatever's wrong with Supers, it's not Chibiusa. She's such an unfairly hated girl.

When I watched it, I think even Hito was telling me to temper my expectations going in. Turned out fine!!
Haha, yeah, I completely overdid it back there. Sorry.

Syrinx

Yami Hat, Pillow Talk, and Loli Christ 6

Breast Breast, I want breast, you three people have breasts, where's my breasts, I want a loverererererer

Poor little girl is forever a loli

Oh and Seiren appears, and she wants Yami's disturbing ass hat. Being the bird is suffering.

There's so much talk about breasts, the thing that is openingly displayed without nipples, that it's just about natural, and the loli has some strange headaches, some splitting pain headaches and---

WHAT THE FUCK EH!?
SHE BECAME LOLI CHRIST AND SPLIT THE OCEAN BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO GO BEYOND THE OCEAN, WHAT THE FUCK LOLI NINJA IN THE FUCKING TORN SKY SHE'S CLEARLY MORE EVIL THAN I THOUGHT, WHAT IS SHE!? SHE FUCKING CLOSED IT AND PROCEEDED TO ATTEMPT TO DROWN HER, WHAT!?

Dammit, and there was sense too!
We really don't get enough of these.

Narag

I can see why the team hasn't gotten together yet, but every episode they don't feels like time wasted. This show isn't going to be that long, and if we waste like 6 episodes before we start getting massive team fights that's going to really hurt.

I'm fine with that for now given how the show keeps pushing heroes are this out of date concept. I mean, I hope it doesn't necessarily stay that way as I'd like some team action too but I'd like for it to be earned rather than just given to me.

Hell, I've seen people here say that they stopped watching Sailor Moon entirely just because of Chibiusa.

E: like, when she showed up in R, not in SuperS
She's sort of grating in R. Character growth exhibited through S & SuperS made her really likeable though.

Haha, yeah, I completely overdid it back there. Sorry.

At least you sold me on 14 volumes of manga so I'm feeding the merch machine~!

yami4ct

How far in are they? The first boss fight was ok, but ifthey pass that, iunno.

Show hasn't started yet. These are from people who've seen most, if not all the episodes. They should know better.

Gintama Monkey Two-Parter

After the amazing Bath House episode, I was on a real gintama high. Some of the funniest stuff around. What do they follow that up with? This pile of crap. Worst Gintama there's been since the Yagyu arc. Just awful. They keep hammering the same, long, not-funny jokes over and over again. Actively unfunny. Ugh, why was this a two parter?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
She's sort of grating in R. Character growth exhibited through S & SuperS made her really likeable though.
Chibiusa could be said to go through three phases: early Black Moon, late Black Moon, then post Black Moon. Many sour on her in early Black Moon then never give her the time of day after that.

Speaking of where you are, it's come to my attention that there is a VA that has done prominent roles in Sailor Moon, Doremi, and Precure. In SM she's Tin, in Smile she's Candy, and in Doremi she's not in the first season.

Is it
Hana-chan
?
She sounds like Candy

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi Movie

The events of the film are mentioned on episode 46.
Visiting Grandpa and everyone being scared, why
Momo-chan didn't start panicking like on episode 29.
That was a pretty messed up story.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The general claim is that it's mostly Chibiusa and because Chibiusa sucks the series sucks. Whatever's wrong with Supers, it's not Chibiusa. She's such an unfairly hated girl.

The Chibiusa hate in R is mostly justified, but after that you'd have to be totally blind to all of the characterization not to view her as a valid and integral part of the cast.

I shudder to imagine the kind of person for which she's Sailor Moon's Porun.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is it
Hana-chan
?
She sounds like Candy
Also Majo Monroe.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi Movie

The events of the film are mentioned on episode 46.
Visiting Grandpa and everyone being scared, why
Momo-chan didn't start panicking like on episode 29.
That was a pretty messed up story.
Oh right, but it was pretty much an offhand reference and wasn't built on like the Sharp movie was.

Gintama Monkey Two-Parter

After the amazing Bath House episode, I was on a real gintama high. Some of the funniest stuff around. What do they follow that up with? This pile of crap. Worst Gintama there's been since the Yagyu arc. Just awful. They keep hammering the same, long, not-funny jokes over and over again. Actively unfunny. Ugh, why was this a two parter?

How can you say the Yagyu arc was bad when it had one of the best episodes in the entire series (79)?

yami4ct

How can you say the Yagyu arc was bad when it had one of the best episodes in the entire series (79)?

The yagyu arc is terrible. One of the few actively bad parts of Gintama. Shitty characters, reliance on awful toilet humor, poor action and piss poor character motivation. Kyuubei doesn't become an interesting character worth caring about until she's developed well after the arc based around her.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Chibiusa hate in R is mostly justified, but after that you'd have to be totally blind to all of the characterization not to view her as a valid and integral part of the cast.

I shudder to imagine the kind of person for which she's Sailor Moon's Porun.
Well yeah, that's why the blanket hate is unfair. Sailor Moon didn't stop at R. Then again, some people watch the show for the action scenes and complain about filler.

The yagyu arc is terrible. One of the few actively bad parts of Gintama. Shitty characters, reliance on awful toilet humor, poor action and piss poor character motivation. Kyuubei doesn't become an interesting character worth caring about until she's developed well after the arc based around her.

I disagree, but I don't remember the details strongly enough to press into a detailed argument.

If you dislike toilet humor though, I wonder how you'll take the increasingly prevalent and extravagant dirty humor as the series progresses.

yami4ct

I disagree, but I don't remember the details strongly enough to press into a detailed argument.

If you dislike toilet humor though, I wonder how you'll take the increasingly prevalent and extravagant dirty humor as the series progresses.

I'm deep into the series right now. There's a big difference between the toilet humor as used in the Monkey episodes and the Yagyu episode and the dirty humor used in things like the episodes with the Shogun and the Aliens in the Bathhouse episode. Gintama is really smart with how it uses dirty humor to get the maximum effect. When it goes full on "oh look, it's poop!", it tends to wallow in it and just repeat the joke over and over in hope it gains humor by sheer repetition.

Narag

Gatchaman 6

xCVNWPYl.png

Scooby-Doo edition
Weaker ep although that's to be expected with something long running, I suppose. No character examination that was present in the past few eps and nothing further to advance the Red Impulse subplot.

There's something to be said about Galactor's lack of communication given the opposition this time had no idea who Gatchaman was. Mini robots looked like DC's Black Manta.

I'm deep into the series right now. There's a big difference between the toilet humor as used in the Monkey episodes and the Yagyu episode and the dirty humor used in things like the episodes with the Shogun and the Aliens in the Bathhouse episode. Gintama is really smart with how it uses dirty humor to get the maximum effect. When it goes full on "oh look, it's poop!", it tends to wallow in it and just repeat the joke over and over in hope it gains humor by sheer repetition.

The humor in the toilet episode of the Yagyu arc isn't based on repetition, or really on "toilet" humor per se, but on the mind games people are playing with each other.

I seem to remember the monkey two-parter focusing on his ridiculously long name more than anything. I don't think it's Gintama at its best, but I didn't hate it.

As far as dirty humor goes, I'd be really interested in seeing what you think of episode 231.

What is this show about?

Some war just ended, but the country is still pretty shitty, so this section of the military acts as a division to carry out war relief. The main character is a dude that fights tanks and ends up joining the section. Even though the war is over, there are still some threats and a potential military conspiracy based around all the stuff they've hidden.

It's like Trigun + Fullmetal Alchemist.

Today is Sword Art Online dub day.

Working on something that'll take up time till the airing, wahaha.

I am excited. Like legitimately. Want to see how it all sounds in glorious English.

Narag

Some war just ended, but the country is still pretty shitty, so this section of the military acts as a division to carry out war relief. The main character is a dude that fights tanks and ends up joining the section. Even though the war is over, there are still some threats and a potential military conspiracy based around all the stuff they've hidden.

Huh, that sounds pretty interesting. Thanks.

Close, but the girl is the main character, not the big guy. It's a good show with a strong female lead. :)

yami4ct

The humor in the toilet episode of the Yagyu arc isn't based on repetition, or really on "toilet" humor per se, but on the mind games people are playing with each other.

I seem to remember the monkey two-parter focusing on his ridiculously long name more than anything. I don't think it's Gintama at its best, but I didn't hate it.

As far as dirty humor goes, I'd be really interested in seeing what you think of episode 231.

The toilet paper moment was great, for like 5 minutes. It went on like 30% longer than it needed to. The joke had no room to believe and died. There are worse moments in that arc that made me hate it so much, and there is some brilliance in that joke, but it was just ran into the wall so many times it killed it.

The other major jokes in the Monkey episodes were the monkey throwing shit at gintoki. That worked for like one scene and promptly got really old. There was also the joke about Kagura and Otoae coming up with the Video Game/Band characters, but that joke went on a hair bit too long as well.

Sailor Moon Rough 61

Being Usagi is still suffering. And I like how Usagi stating that Mamoru should just marry Chibiusa didn't faze him very much if at all. Jesus man. You're in college.

Really like Chibiusa's little stock footage. It's adorable.

And then we kickstart the Mamoru is a douchebag (again) arc. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Keeping things from your wife I see. Clearly he's the biggest threat of R's quality and not Chibiusa.

The enemy has some lewd panties.Quite adult in comparison to Usagi's and Makino's.

yami4ct

Almost all episode in Gintama year 2 are great, Yagyuu arc included.. what a perfect season that was.

I'll take all the episodes around Beinzakura or even better all the episodes leading up to, and quite a few following, the Four Devas arc. Those are some amazing runs.

So I was just roaming around on GAF and I saw a thread and someone mentioned a site called TVtropes. I looked into the site and they show almost every genre known to man on there, for anime as well. While searching I found one topic that I think will keep me busy for a while.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Yandere/AnimeAndManga (WARNING: I'd say just take a peek but don't read some of these. Some of them are spoilers for certain anime)
Welp, seems like I'll be good for a while. I have a TON of new anime shows I need to watch now :)

Narag

Jewelpet Kira-Deco! 7

Visual comedy and the comedic timing remain ace in this.
Running gag at the beginning subverted expectations well with the birds being too exhausted to fly away in surprise after the fourth time.

:lol @ the mackerel skit to close it

So I was just roaming around on GAF and I saw a thread and someone mentioned a site called TVtropes. I looked into the site and they show almost every genre known to man on there, for anime as well. While searching I found one topic that I think will keep me busy for a while.
Just try not to get it caught in the TVTropes vortex. It never ends!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Yandere/AnimeAndManga (WARNING: I'd say just take a peek but don't read some of these. Some of them are spoilers for certain anime)
Welp, seems like I'll be good for a while. I have a TON of new anime shows I need to watch now :)

We'll never see you again.

fertygo

tumblr_m7lcjrq9Xe1rt2h44o1_500.jpg

TVTropes take another victim.

Jintor

TVTropes is a great tool for finding synopsises of interesting-sounding series and looking at a series you've just finished with new eyes. it's far too spoiler laden for anything else though. Also it's a fucking time vortex of doom

Narag

I've never understood being caught in TV tropes. Whenever I look at one page I usually end up unsatisfied with it and leave.

I'm to that point finally. Used to be I'd click a page, see other tropes I'd like to read about, open in new tab, and backlog myself to death.

Nowadays it's to take a quick glance at something to see what I might have missed.

LordCanti

I've never understood being caught in TV tropes. Whenever I look at one page I usually end up unsatisfied with it and leave.

Deviantart and Pixiv are my TV Tropes.

"Let's see what this guy has on his recommendations page"

*fast forward three hours*

"Hurrr durrrr best Penguindrum Fanart everrrrrrrrrrrr. Let's see what this guy has on his recommendations page."

I just don't do it to myself anymore.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

You're walking down the path of hardship and suffering, but also possible rewards. You might have a long list pertaining to genre content, but only a small fraction are going to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom