• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

It was much, much bigger than Precure back in the days; the ratings and toy sales were insane. It didn't run for over 200 episodes for no reason.

The ratings were bigger than Pretty Cure's, but the toy sales weren't, which is likely the reason it didn't become a permanent franchise and Toei eventually went with Pretty Cure and stayed with that format. Doremi's four seasons averaged 5.8 billion yens per year, that would be bellow any Pretty Cure series in toy sales, even Splash Star.

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/presentation/pdf_bandai/04_inter_keisu.pdf

(Doremi season 2 and 3 do beat Splash Star by themselves though, but none of them even approach any other Cure series, and season 1 and 4 had lower numbers)

Those sales are still pretty high compared to some other franchises, but they're still only a little above half of what Pretty Cure makes annually. There's a reason Toei hasn't tried to turn any Cure series into a Doremi-like show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The ratings were bigger than Pretty Cure's, but the toy sales weren't, which is likely the reason it didn't become a permanent franchise and Toei eventually went with Pretty Cure and stayed with that format. Doremi's four seasons averaged 58 billion yens per year, that would be bellow any Pretty Cure series in toy sales, even Splash Star.

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/presentation/pdf_bandai/04_inter_keisu.pdf

(Doremi season 2 and 3 do beat Splash Star by themselves though, but none of them even approach any other Cure series, and season 1 and 4 had lower numbers)

Those sales are still pretty high compared to some other franchises, but they're still only a little above half of what Pretty Cure makes annually. There's a reason Toei hasn't tried to turn any Cure series into a Doremi-like show.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thanks for the insightful data, of course! This pretty much puts the issue to rest.

cajunator

Banned
(for the first quote) It was more even between what would become Moe and what was known as Gengkia (Fist of the North Star and such work like it) in the mid 70's because Japan went through changes around 72 and 78 (which ironically G-Force was apart of) dealing with Political changes (a counter revolution to the sexual revolution that took place in most of the 60's all over the world - which effected the Pinky Violence Movies like Lady Snowblood and Rika)

as for rayearth, yep. But the dubber wanted all the rights and they balked.

Actually, Rayearth really could have been a fun show on TV if they didnt butcher it much.
Even the second season is pretty suitable.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
K-ON!! - 07

XSCJMIW.png

:sdburton

Student council prez was a cutie. If I wasn't on #TeamRitsuxMio I could see myself shipping her with Mio easily.

Mio's fanclub getting girl boners during the 100 questions bit quickly made this one of my favorite episodes. sogood.gif

FATE .... PRISMA ILYA - 03

I have nothing but admiration with construction companies in anime.

This episode was predictable ..but i can already see the ending !

The sensei antics were good , and the episode itself was enjoyable...

Yes i'm shipping those 2 magical girls like no tomorrow .. let's hope this comes true.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 52

Is a Sheep Warning anything like a Goldfish Warning?

Pretty stupid idea. Drown Sakura in a bunch of plush sheep. I know he says he's having fun with it, but really, plush sheep?

Why does Yue specifically need Clow's magic to exist? Why can't he just live off of Sakura's magic once she's done converting Clow Cards to Sakura Cards?

cajunator

Banned
K-ON!! - 07

Student council prez was a cutie. If I wasn't on #TeamRitsuxMio I could see myself shipping her with Mio easily.

Mio's fanclub getting girl boners during the 100 questions bit quickly made this one of my favorite episodes. sogood.gif

You have the right team. Drum N Bass is the proper pairing. Period.
Also, episode 10 of season 2 is the best goddamned thing ever created.

Neptunia - 03

I was honestly thinking that they would keep the whole sub-plot for a finale and would NOT try anything serious..

And i was wrong .

Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2003.jpg

A smiling Compa Appears !
COMMAND :?
>Smile
>Blush
>Ask her name
>Run Away

So this episode , even with the PLOT , and i'm not talking entirely about Vert breasts was filled with nice references , including kinect and various old fashionned ads ..the whole thing was intresting to see because , unlike the others , vert doesn't have a candidate to take care of..so you can see clearly how she spend her days ..i liked that

But more than that i'm VERY happy to see that they are going in a direction totally neptunia-like yet like this ...

In short : i like what i'm seeing.

Yami Hat, Castles, and Purity 4

SUDDENLY CASTLE! What the fuck, how is this tied to anythin--- oh wiat, there's that one chick and Gargantua.... wait we're still in flashback mode? Fuck!

So I'm guessing Ritsuko wanted the Princess but she's like NO I WANT A MAN!And so she gets tainted.... literally. WHAT THE FUCK was it necessary to rip her clothes off? Where's the nipples? RITUALS AND DEMONS! OH NO, METAPHORS FOR HAVING THE GARDEN TAINTED! And Ritsuko gets bitch slapped by the king for it, so she tries to save the Princess..... and then the Princess commited suicide the next day.

Whaaat? Whaaaaat? So what's the lesson here? Purity is serious fucking business. Also immortality with Jack and Jill characters. So when are we getting back to Hazuki?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 163
Ah, the good old face your true self arc. I love this bit, as it gave Zirconia somewhat of a threat without having her devolve into beamspam or... transform into a giant dragon (are you listening,
Esmeraude
?) This also had the crowning moment of awesome for the Amazoness Quartet, in a way. Obvious that
they are gonna survive
, though.
Moon Tiara Action? With new animation? I can't even remember when was the last time we saw it.

Hataraku Maō-sama 2-5
I'm surprised. I prematurely picked Chiho as best girl cuz #TeamShortHair and all that jazz, but Emi continues to be awesome. I'm not saying I've switched sides, but rather things are pretty neck and neck. Now that Chiho knows the truth about the gang maybe she'll be able to show her own kickass side. Because the kickass was most certainly brought in that last episode. Lucy and Baldy got wrecked. Alciel taking the time to run back to the house to grab his cape just shows how he is truly the character with the most swag. Also, their land lord is creeping me the fuck out.

Syrinx

SUDDENLY CASTLE! What the fuck, how is this tied to anythin--- oh wiat, there's that one chick and Gargantua.... wait we're still in flashback mode? Fuck!

So I'm guessing Ritsuko wanted the Princess but she's like NO I WANT A MAN!And so she gets tainted.... literally. WHAT THE FUCK was it necessary to rip her clothes off? Where's the nipples? RITUALS AND DEMONS! OH NO, METAPHORS FOR HAVING THE GARDEN TAINTED! And Ritsuko gets bitch slapped by the king for it, so she tries to save the Princess..... and then the Princess commited suicide the next day.

Whaaat? Whaaaaat? So what's the lesson here? Purity is serious fucking business. Also immortality with Jack and Jill characters. So when are we getting back to Hazuki?

I couldn't go one fucking minute in this episode without cracking up. Oh man, this was something else.

internet/PC issues?

Brother issues. My little brother came back from the hospital today and is bedridden so he's using the TV to watch anime. I'll have to wait until he falls asleep because he's using it loud and I can't hear anything, and since he did nothing today he doesn't look like he's going to sleep anytime soon. I can wait, but my plan was to watch the Mo~tto Doremi movie and start Naisho after work.

Edit: lol, he has fallen asleep already, now I just need to find a phone to save my game.

I'd just like to make an inquiry to those who have played the Danganronpa game: setting aside the "anime is trash" accusations for a moment, could any of you estimate about how many hours worth of playtime it would take the average player to complete the events that were covered up through the third episode of the anime (i.e.
up through the first trial and execution
)?

R_thanatos already answered, but I'll chime in with 3~ hours depending on how well you do in the trial and whatnot.

A flood of Precure doujins from what looks to be from the same group. Nothing can go wrong here :D

EDIT: And all of them are YURI, BEST NIGHT IN A WHILE

Step

Off topic/useless question shield.

Is there a specific term when a character gets some shocking news and then there is an animation of a glass breaking?

Stop with the Precure doujins and start with the Yami.

Yami Hat, Erotic Broccoli, Eating Out, and Cave People 5

FUCKING PREHISTORIC BITCHES, I know we can travel from place to place, but it feels so... jarring with these transitions, wait why can one of the cave people talk, I guess we can expect some good voca---

LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!

LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!

Wait sacrifices to the god and letting them eat y---

OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE

OH GOD ITS AN ANIME ASS TIGER! HOLY FUCK THOSE EYES WHEN DID IT GET ANIME IN HERE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE

I think that sums up this episode nicely, fuck my sanity

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 18

Some dark times for our squad.

So the Psalms are missing a soul, and Team Rocket stole Max's body for his "gamble." It'll be cool to see what twist he's got in store.

So...that's it? Don't we have another 5 episodes? What else could be in store?
Oh shit, well, there's that! Welcome back, Max. Viva la Revolution! Plus, now that they have the Royal Psalms...will Durand follow through on his Royal Order? What's wrong with King Louis?

Syrinx

FUCKING PREHISTORIC BITCHES, I know we can travel from place to place, but it feels so... jarring with these transitions, wait why can one of the cave people talk, I guess we can expect some good voca---

LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF! MY NAME IS QUILE!

OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE

OH GOD ITS AN ANIME ASS TIGER! HOLY FUCK THOSE EYES WHEN DID IT GET ANIME IN HERE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE OH GOD MY NAME IS QUILE

New avatar for the next 24 hours or so in honor of this post.

cajunator

Banned

This episode was ok but wait until episode 5..

gatchaman crowd 3

so boring, needs more hajime.her crawling around is adorable.

derpp.jpg

some derpy budget cuts in this. just draw a straight line!

EVERYTHING Hajime does is super adorable.

Off topic/useless question shield.

Is there a specific term when a character gets some shocking news and then there is an animation of a glass breaking?

Sorry in advance for linking to this time-sucking site.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaticShattering

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

QUILE QUILE QUILE QUILE QUILE QUILE QUILE QUILE

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The franchise's fate was out of their hands at that point! We'll never know just how long it would have lasted or how horribly it would have been run into the ground if it had been able to continue past Stars.
I believe I've already talked with you on this point. Finish Stars!

SuperS was far from a worst case scenario anyway; they actually managed a soft reboot without making the show unwatchable.
Quite true, but even if some like you or me appreciate that particular series it's still been fairly maligned overall.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I believe I've already talked with you on this point. Finish Stars!

That's the plan for tomorrow, actually.

Quite true, but even if some like you or me appreciate that particular series it's still been fairly maligned overall.

Well, I'll almost certainly never bother having any interaction with the greater internet Sailor Moon fandom outside of this thread, so to them I say whatevs.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 18

Aww yeah mecha time

wait...that sounded like franz...is that franz in the suit...no way...OH SHIT SON

goddamn son its raining ;_; shits really powerful

It's funny. Before I watched the entirety of SM with my friend, I was going off hearsay about the quality of SuperS. And then I actually watched it. It was utterly glorious (and probably the most sexually depraved season out of the lot).

:wonzoman Crowds 3

Man this was a QUALITY episode. Almost every shot felt like the characters were off model and the animation was janky as all hell. Still it was actually an interesting episode. We got to see more of how GALAX works and how it affects society. If someone could develop an App like GALAX today it would actually be pretty cool. Using social networking to bring people together in real life to get shit done is a novel idea.

Narag

It's funny. Before I watched the entirety of SM with my friend, I was going off hearsay about the quality of SuperS. And then I actually watched it. It was utterly glorious (and probably the most sexually depraved season out of the lot).

When I watched it, I think even Hito was telling me to temper my expectations going in. Turned out fine!!

Not looking forward to SuperStupid. No :kirbyguy material :(

Oh, on "The Count of Monte Cristo", I finally (after months of owning it) decided to start reading the book, since I loved the anime. It's kind of funny, considering some of the plot twists in the anime are laid bare within the first few chapters of the book. Although that's to be expected. In the anime, everything was happening mostly through Albert's view. In the book, you mostly spend time with the Count.

yami4ct

Gatchaman Crowds 03

Decent enough for a clearly lower scope/budget episode. Continues to push the shows super interesting social network themes forward. Totally worth it just for that. The larger scale conflict is hinted at, but still not really revealed.

Overall, though, my biggest complaint with Gatchaman Crowds is that it's doling out the Gatchaman way too slowly. If there's one thing that Gatchaman's about, it's the team. This show really needs to start getting good team fights going. I want to see all the members work together to take out an enemy, not just are two current heroes. We've seen none of the other Gatchas henshin, let alone fight. Super annoying. The team should be in full swing by now. The Joe tease this episode was beyond annoying.

Oh well, looks like we'll be getting at least 1 other Gatcha next episode. Hopefully they solve this issue relatively quickly and it doesn't continue to be all the Gatchamen going around doing their own thing. Other than that, still enjoying the hell out of this series and all its colors. Hajime is becoming way more coherent and less annoying as time goes on, so that's a huge plus as well.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds 03
Overall, though, my biggest complaint with Gatchaman Crowds is that it's doling out the Gatchaman way too slowly. If there's one thing that Gatchaman's about, it's the team. This show really needs to start getting good team fights going. I want to see all the members work together to take out an enemy, not just are two current heroes. We've seen none of the other Gatchas henshin, let alone fight. Super annoying. The team should be in full swing by now. The Joe tease this episode was beyond annoying..

No sense bringing the team together at this point without a tangible threat other than bad milk.

yami4ct

No sense bringing the team together at this point without a tangible threat other than bad milk.

I can see why the team hasn't gotten together yet, but every episode they don't feels like time wasted. This show isn't going to be that long, and if we waste like 6 episodes before we start getting massive team fights that's going to really hurt.

Kwixotik

I just finished End of Evangelion. I'm all paralyzed and shit. It was really good. Really disturbing imagery at parts. Still wish the characters weren't 14 because it's kind of weird.

I'd probably give the series an 8/10. I strongly disliked the first half. I don't know what to think about the movie yet. Maybe a 9/10.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's the plan for tomorrow, actually.
Speaking of where you are, it's come to my attention that there is a VA that has done prominent roles in Sailor Moon, Doremi, and Precure. In SM she's Tin, in Smile she's Candy, and in Doremi she's not in the first season.

Well, I'll almost certainly never bother having any interaction with the greater internet Sailor Moon fandom outside of this thread, so to them I say whatevs.
Even in other GAF threads you run into such people.

yami4ct

I just finished End of Evangelion. I'm all paralyzed and shit. It was really good. Really disturbing imagery at parts. Still wish the characters weren't 14 because it's kind of weird.

I'd probably give the series an 8/10. I strongly disliked the first half. I don't know what to think about the movie yet. Maybe a 9/10.

Um, that's the whole point. That awkwardness is super important thematically. Outside of the meta-thematics of Anno's anti-otaku views, the awkwardness of adolescents in super adult situations with no one to turn to is the integral theme of eva.

Kwixotik

Um, that's the whole point. That awkwardness is super important thematically. Outside of the meta-thematics of Anno's anti-otaku views, the awkwardness of adolescents in super adult situations with no one to turn to is the integral theme of eva.

I don't disagree with you

Yami Hat, Pillow Talk, and Loli Christ 6

Breast Breast, I want breast, you three people have breasts, where's my breasts, I want a loverererererer

Poor little girl is forever a loli

Oh and Seiren appears, and she wants Yami's disturbing ass hat. Being the bird is suffering.

There's so much talk about breasts, the thing that is openingly displayed without nipples, that it's just about natural, and the loli has some strange headaches, some splitting pain headaches and---

WHAT THE FUCK EH!?
SHE BECAME LOLI CHRIST AND SPLIT THE OCEAN BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO GO BEYOND THE OCEAN, WHAT THE FUCK LOLI NINJA IN THE FUCKING TORN SKY SHE'S CLEARLY MORE EVIL THAN I THOUGHT, WHAT IS SHE!? SHE FUCKING CLOSED IT AND PROCEEDED TO ATTEMPT TO DROWN HER, WHAT!?

Dammit, and there was sense too!

Syrinx

Speaking of where you are, it's come to my attention that there is a VA that has done prominent roles in Sailor Moon, Doremi, and Precure. In SM she's Tin, in Smile she's Candy, and in Doremi she's not in the first season.

Even in other GAF threads you run into such people.
Hell, I've seen people here say that they stopped watching Sailor Moon entirely just because of Chibiusa.

E: like, when she showed up in R, not in SuperS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom