• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

What do you mean there aren't that many adaptable novels?

I mean, business practicality is one thing, and I understand that, but there's nothing inherent in the medium that prevents animation from adapting just about any novel out there.

Adaptability does include business practicality obviously. If it didn't, we'd be seeing alot more trippy experimental stuff. What I'm saying is that there are only very few quality novels in the first place and some of them don't lend well to anime adaptations. Police thrillers and serial drama isn't really an anime thing and while that doesn't disqualify them outright, having the talent to make a good adaptation is another thing entirely.

CorvoSol

Adaptability does include business practicality obviously. If it didn't, we'd be seeing alot more trippy experimental stuff. What I'm saying is that there are only very few quality novels in the first place and some of them don't lend well to anime adaptations. Police thrillers and serial drama isn't really an anime thing and while that doesn't disqualify them outright, having the talent to make a good adaptation is another thing entirely.

Speaking of talent, you know who doesn't have any?

BONES.

FUCK YOU FOR AO. Yes I am still mad.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The latest Naruto Shippuuden episode was easily the best episode i have seen in years, kudos for Studio Pierrot, perfect 20 minutes of
Madara owning everyone

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think I'll never get to the point of staff whoring, but it's nice to know a little bit more about some people, since I decided to watch Doremi after I looked at things Umakoshi worked on ( I was thinking of watching Goldfish Warning), after I finished HeartCatch. Looking up again on MAL,
he's the Animation Director of episode 40 of Dokkan...looking foward to it
. lol
How much is he involved in Mushishi
If you're following shows on a basis beyond series or episode director, as you're doing there, then you're already staff whoring pretty hard.

Goldfish Warning had Junichi Satou as series director with him, Kunihiko Ikuhara, and Takuya Igarashi as episode directors among others. As it happens, immediately afterward this staff began work on Sailor Moon. Junichi Satou remained series director until ep 60(in R), after which Ikuhara took control with Satou still around as an episode director. This continued until Ikuhara quit after the end of Supers and left the show entirely. Igarashi then stepped up to the plate and was series director for the final series, Stars.

Ikuhara went on to make Utena. Meanwhile, we later see both Satou and Igarashi pop up as series directors of a new show called Ojamajo Doremi. ;)

Once again Satou steps down to just episode director after the first series, leaving Igarashi in the top spot.

Anyway, when it comes to explaining why Doremi has an extremely similar brand of humor to Sailor Moon, and why Doremi and Pop are so much like Usagi and Chibiusa respectively, this makes a good deal of sense.

Umakoshi certainly makes a contribution on the art side of things, but his role is subordinate.

It's gonna take more than one okay show to make me mourn the hypothetical death of the light novel. The only thing in its favor for me is that LN adaptations are probably squeezing out worse crap.

LN adaptations I have at least partially enjoyed:

Accel World
Akikan
Ben-to
Boku wa Tomodachi
Dokuro-chan
C3
Dakara Boku wa H
Date a Live
Hataraku-Maou
Hentai Ouji
High School DxD
Inukami
Kaze no Stigma
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka
Horizon
Maburaho
MM!
Mondaiji-Tachi
Scraped Princess
Slayers
Sword Art Online
Index

So for me, they definitely have a reason to exist, even if a lot of them are crap.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection was an adaptation of a Mobage game. Also, Driland is an adaptation of a GREE game. Well, "adaptation" in a loose sense here.

Of course, execution trumps premise regardless of the original medium of the source material. I'm just saying that it's a largely untapped well of trash relative to other forms of entertainment that otaku consume.

Of course, execution trumps premise regardless of the original medium of the source material. I'm just saying that it's a largely untapped well of trash relative to other forms of entertainment that otaku consume.

Mobage games have practically no content to begin with, so any "adaptation" would just involve taking the base concept and coming up with something to do with it.

yami4ct

Now let's play "how long can I sit through the SAO dub before completely rage quitting again". I'm guessing I'll make it 8 episodes. That's about 1/2 of what I made it through on its original run.

Danganronpa The Animation 04

WHhpg7v.gif

Wasureno Wasureno-Beeeam!

Ok, totally enjoyed that brief moment in the episode.

On the other hand, funny that the investigation seemed even shorter than the first time though I guess I care slightly more about the death of the week than how it was handled in Devil Survivor 2. It's not great and still bare bones but it has been at least more enjoyable than Devil Survivor 2.

And, haha the new OP.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mobage games have practically no content to begin with, so any "adaptation" would just involve taking the base concept and coming up with something to do with it.

While the blank canvas means total creative freedom in talented hands, having seen bits of shows like Zettai Bouei Leviathan, there's also the potential for sub-LN levels of creative bankruptcy.

While the blank canvas means total creative freedom in talented hands, having seen bits of shows like Zettai Bouei Leviathan, there's also the potential for sub-LN levels of creative bankruptcy.

Of course. What I'm trying to say is that with Mobige/mobile based anime, the quality is pretty much up entirely to the skill and talent of the anime staff. With LN based anime, there's actual content you have to cover, such that even talented staff may not be able to make much out of it.

fertygo

Of course. What I'm trying to say is that with Mobige/mobile based anime, the quality is pretty much up entirely to the skill and talent of the anime staff. With LN based anime, there's actual content you have to cover, such that even talented staff may not be able to make much out of it.

This pretty much exaggeration though.. You admittedly like the new Rozen Maiden anime because the director, the material still on par with what LN have.

Xp6ezU3.png

Swimming Adults Online 01
Hehe, didn't realize before, the first voice we hear is Suguha. Wahaha. She actually doesn't sound half bad.
for me that makes it worse later on

How did they make Klein sound like such a pansy. He had such an ultra manly voice in the sub.

Kirito's VA is totally overacting. But I guess his voice really is fitting his Mary Sue character design, wahaha. People will see him for what he is sooner this way, I guess.

NO LOGGING OUT FOOL

Teriyaki Pizza and Ginger Ale? I don't remember it being that specific. But maybe I just have terrible memory lol

"She wouldn't date a gamer."
The first signs Kirito knows nothing about his cousin/sister

So weird having commercial breaks. Although, actually that's not true, I watched this show on Hulu Plus first. Stupid commercials.

Now back to our regularly scheduled srsbsns. Kayaba Akihiko has such a nice voice in the dub. That actually might fit the situation better in this case. You can almost see his happy face inside that hood. INTERNAL BATTERY DUN DUN DUN.

The NerveGear will simultaneously destroy your brain brain brain brain

THERE SHE IS YES
20qjS51.png

I forgot how slowly this show moves.

IF YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE. There is something about hearing that hammy line in native English.

WHAT THE HELL THEY CUT THE OP SHORT. It's literally the best part of the show.

Tenumi

Banned
WHAT THE HELL THEY CUT THE OP SHORT. It's literally the best part of the show.

That's an Adult Swim thing. Its either cut OP, ED, or parts of the show. Blame US TV advertising for that.

Sword Art Online: 01

Sigh... What a stupid idea, with stupid characters, inhabiting a stupid world. Who in the right mind would put on a helmet that takes control of their nerves, with no emergency switch, and expect no problems?

This won't end well.

This pretty much exaggeration though.. You admittedly like the new Rozen Maiden anime because the director, the material still on par with what LN have.

Sounds like you're the one who's exaggerating. The Rozen Maiden manga has a lot of potential in it, potential that the anime staff has been able to draw out and capitalize on very well so far. There is no potential in the banal premises and art of the five light novels whose anime adaptations were just announced. When a source material is flawed on a fundamental level, and you're charged with making a relatively faithful adaptation, there's not that much you can really do.

Now it's true that, thankfully, good staff rarely are wasted on LN tripe, but we did have a recent example of that with Kanta Kamei and Oreshura. I expect Ayumu Watanabe's upcoming Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara will be the same way.

ugh, the first wave of sao itt was bad enough

Hopefully people will contain this to the Toonami thread as much as possible. *crosses fingers*

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Point taken, and I don't think that we were ever in any disagreement on this. It's a shame that LN adaptations, if they must exist, don't have more liberty in, say, being able to use the characters, premise, and general narrative outline but gutting the rest in favor of original material. I suppose they'll always be hamstrung by the fact that they need to be consistent with the source material to sell novels when they inevitably tease or leave the viewer hanging mid-narrative at the end of the show.

yami4ct

SAO Dub 1

Not awful. Kirito's voice is just fine. Less annoying than his JP VA, so that's nice. Klein's voice is worse if only by the fact that it's near impossible to replace Hirata. Background voices are serviceable. Only voice down right bad was Akihiko's. Did not fit at all. Other than that, seems like a well done dub.

Shame, since the show is still utter dog shit.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO Dub 1

Not awful. Kirito's voice is just fine. Less annoying than his JP VA, so that's nice. Klein's voice is worse if only by the fact that it's near impossible to replace Hirata. Background voices are serviceable. Only voice down right bad was Akihiko's. Did not fit at all. Other than that, seems like a well done dub.

Shame, since the show is still utter dog shit.

I swear i feel like you're bandwagoning. You weren't so zealous about the SAO hate before but recently it just exploded. Feels like you're trying to cry out for attention, play with all the cool kids or whatnot. Hate the show. Just be... you know... consistent?

I swear i feel like you're bandwagoning. You weren't so zealous about the SAO hate before but recently it just exploded. Feels like you're trying to cry out for attention, play with all the cool kids or whatnot. Hate the show. Just be... you know... consistent?

But the show is bad. It just holds a special place in my heart, is all.

Soma

Ah so the SAO dub impressions have leaked into here. That's unfortunate.

Though I guess since this is the catch-all anime thread, not much can be done about that besides linking to the OT but that never really helped much before...

edit - OH HOW NAIVE I WAS

yami4ct

I just didn't want to really talk about it before. I had the feelings, but I was so late that didn't feel like sharing. The show being back on brought back all the bad memories.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But the show is bad. It just holds a special place in my heart, is all.

I recognize the show is bad. I'm totally cool with people hating on it. I make fun of it too lol. I was fine with firehawk's posts about it because it was consistent. yami's doesn't feel like that at all. It just feels like he's hating for the sake of looking like he vehemently hates it.

I just didn't want to really talk about it before. I had the feelings, but I was so late that didn't feel like sharing. The show being back on brought back all the bad memories.

Uh huh. That's why you displayed EXTREME displeasure every single time I brought up SAO in the thread and such, right?

Jintor

SAO 1

I'll be more interested next episode when things I haven't seen before occur.

But I mean I still had all the same reactions I did when I saw it subbed, which is to say, this is stupid, the direction is insipid, the animation of the background/visual effects and the characters doesn't appear to match, this is stupid, kirito is not a strong or very interesting protagonist so far, fairly dull, this is stupid.

Oh, and Kirito's english VA sounds like a surfer dude.

I watched the dub and honestly? It wasn't a bad dub. I have some reservations about Klein's VA, but other than that it was serviceable. Although I have a question I recently thought of upon rewatch: Why didn't they... just let the Nervegear's battery drain out? If the Nervegear shuts off, it can't fry your brain so...

yami4ct

Uh huh. That's why you displayed EXTREME displeasure every single time I brought up SAO in the thread and such, right?

Whatever dude, there are some positive moments I'll call out when the show dubs them. I like the way it deals with some aspects. The whole way they deal with eating in the game is actually neat and they do get some of the feeling of an MMO raid. Other than that, the forced character motivations, terrible end, and wasted potential make me more sad than anything. I guess that sadness is manifesting as anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom