• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the dub and honestly? It wasn't a bad dub. I have some reservations about Klein's VA, but other than that it was serviceable. Although I have a question I recently thought of upon rewatch: Why didn't they... just let the Nervegear's battery drain out? If the Nervegear shuts off, it can't fry your brain so...

Don't forget, fusion reactors were invented at least 7 years before Sword Art Online
mr_fusion_105.jpg

Narag

I look forward to the influx of new furry SAO art as a result of this show getting a second wind via Toonami. Silver linings and all that.

Pooya

Attack on Titan - 16

worthless words words words words words words words

3a7por.jpg

Is this how fast AoT is losing viewers' attention?

1s1rz4.jpg

Mikasa Derpman and Derpmin Arlert

2v1qux.jpg

omg this scene was hilarious

the character drama in show is soooo bad, hahaha, Coupled with horrible inappropriate song again inserted in the so called 'dramatic scene'. Horrible horrible episode, damped my interest again after somewhat interesting episode last week. Next week seems interesting at least.

yami4ct

I look forward to the influx of new furry SAO art as a result of this show getting a second wind via Toonami. Silver linings and all that.

I probably won't rip on it after this week. I don't have anything new to add to the conversation, so why say anything. I may call out a moment here and there, but eh. Not worth the effort.

wonzo

Banned
Ah so the SAO dub impressions have leaked into here. That's unfortunate.

Though I guess since this is the catch-all anime thread, not much can be done about that besides linking to the OT but that never really helped much before...

edit - OH HOW NAIVE I WAS
See, this is why we need to encourage people to start posting about shows in their own OT if it has one. rip silver spoon thread

Narag

See, this is why we need to encourage people to start posting about shows in their own OT if it has one. rip silver spoon thread

I was hoping the Gatchaman Crowds thread would take off but it looks like it'll be down to like three people watching it by the end.

Don't forget, fusion reactors were invented at least 7 years before Sword Art Online

Now I'm curious. Does the LN address this at all? Because the way they made it sound, it seemed like the Nervegear has a rechargeable battery (at least that's what it looked like when they showed the battery sign).

Articalys

Now I'm curious. Does the LN address this at all? Because the way they made it sound, it seemed like the Nervegear has a rechargeable battery (at least that's what it looked like when they showed the battery sign).
Actually, yeah, they did. One of the triggers for the killswitch was mentioned as "disconnection from an outside source of electricity for ten minutes".

So while there are still some plot holes, that at least isn't one of them.

fertygo

Sounds like you're the one who's exaggerating. The Rozen Maiden manga has a lot of potential in it, potential that the anime staff has been able to draw out and capitalize on very well so far. There is no potential in the banal premises and art of the five light novels whose anime adaptations were just announced. When a source material is flawed on a fundamental level, and you're charged with making a relatively faithful adaptation, there's not that much you can really do.

Now it's true that, thankfully, good staff rarely are wasted on LN tripe, but we did have a recent example of that with Kanta Kamei and Oreshura. I expect Ayumu Watanabe's upcoming Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara will be the same way.
Those 5 title sure sound crappy.
I'm just saying its can happened for bad manga, or any other adaptation material to have adaptation project that wasting talented people, its not like the case of lack of good staff ruining adaptation also not happened.

If there's LN with premise to at least can build atmosphere surely talent can capitalize that, I guess you're right though.. most of these LN can't be saved.

Actually, yeah, they did. One of the triggers for the killswitch was mentioned as "disconnection from an outside source of electricity for ten minutes".

Couldn't they drain it out steadily? Hook it up to a charger for 1 minute, let it discharge for 9? It'd take a long while to do it, but I'd honestly be curious if that could be done.
(Granted it would leave someone open to being PKed, but...)

fertygo

I watched the dub and honestly? It wasn't a bad dub. I have some reservations about Klein's VA, but other than that it was serviceable. Although I have a question I recently thought of upon rewatch: Why didn't they... just let the Nervegear's battery drain out? If the Nervegear shuts off, it can't fry your brain so...

IIRC the microwave kill you if before it dead, so they forced to have it always connected.

Articalys

Couldn't they drain it out steadily? Hook it up to a charger for 1 minute, let it discharge for 9? It'd take a long while to do it, but I'd honestly be curious if that could be done.
(Granted it would leave someone open to being PKed, but...)
Well...

1) You're really putting too much thought into this. It's just a dumb show, the author has even admitted in the past that the Nerve Gear trap is full of plot holes as an initial premise, so just let it go.

2) It would be risking an innocent person's life as a guinea pig without their consent to see what happens if the battery drops to zero.

3) Kayaba says "screw you" and probably has some countermeasure for anyone who tries this anyway.

Well...

1) You're really putting too much thought into this. It's just a dumb show, the author has even admitted in the past that the Nerve Gear trap is full of plot holes as an initial premise, so just let it go.

2) It would be risking an innocent person's life as a guinea pig without their consent to see what happens if the battery drops to zero.

3) Kayaba says "screw you" and probably has some countermeasure for anyone who tries this anyway.

1. I'm not harping on it, but I just took notice of it during this rewatch. It's not going to kill the show for me (trust me, other things do that).

2. Well I can't argue with that. It would be largely unethical... I just wonder if anyone tried it. Some parents might be desperate enough if they're child is stuck in the game. You never know how people would react.

3. That I probably can believe too.

yami4ct

So, here's an over-thought out question. What's stopping them from opening up the machine while it's still plugged in, cutting the microwave emitter from the batter, and then disconnecting. If you physically cut the battery cable, there should be no way for it to fry anyone.

Articalys

So, here's an over-thought out question. What's stopping them from opening up the machine while it's still plugged in, cutting the microwave emitter from the batter, and then disconnecting. If you physically cut the battery cable, there should be no way for it to fry anyone.
"...any attempt to: unlock, dismantle, or destroy the Nerve Gear. If any of these conditions are met, the brain destruction sequence will start."

I'm pretty sure that would fall under the above categories.

And I'm done trying to defend SAO for the night. It's really not worth the trouble, especially given all the LN explanations/narration that were cut out from the anime adaptation.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You really should... you know... listen and look for ACTUAL plotholes.

yami4ct

"...any attempt to: unlock, dismantle, or destroy the Nerve Gear. If any of these conditions are met, the brain destruction sequence will start."

I'm pretty sure that would fall under the above categories.

And I'm done trying to defend SAO for the night. It's really not worth the trouble, especially given all the LN explanations/narration that were cut out from the anime adaptation.

Sure, that would make sense. Seems like the novel does a much better job explaining why the world of the game works the way it does, for better or worse. Really wish the anime delved more into that. The mechanics of a situation like this are always my favorite part of a show like this to me.

You really should... you know... listen and look for ACTUAL plotholes.

That wasn't a complaint/looking for a plot hole. I just wanted a to ask a question that intrigued me. He clearly knew the mechanics of the world from the LN and was prepared to answer. Those parts of SAO were always the most fun to me.

Sailor Moon Rough 66

Lets play Cooking Usagi, and more Chibiusa is still a kid antics, this time with Curry, with douchebag Mamoru.

Anyway, Mamoru was going to turn her away until he saw Chibiusa, which he decided to care a bit mor----

Wait. Wait. Waaaaait. Hold on. Where's Motoki? He just feel off the face of the Earth after a while. No wonder I don't remember him, he stopped existing since Usagi found her go to penis (and then got dumped).

Uhh anyway, Chibiusa gets reminders of her Mom and pop (WHO LOOK FAMILIAR HMM), and shit goes down with Nipple Guard female and her sister.

"WE'LL FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE TODAY, NO MATTER WHAT" *droid gets killed and they retreat* lol.

Still not getting the hate for Chibiusa? Is it being the pantsu queen?

On a different note, Servant x Service 2-4

This show was instantly better when the section manager began talking through a stuffed animal. I find this hilarious, due to the Monokuma being used similarly. Also... is it basically confirmed Chihaya has a thing for Lucy (abbrev.)?

Hasabe, as bad as he is, still is pretty funny. The ending with the hotel was just hilarious.

And with that, I need to catch up with a different show... I guess I'll go with Day Break Illusion next.

I should watch SAO just so I can meltdown into a puddle of goo like everyone else seems to have.

Eh. I watched it expecting something horrendously terrible. I enjoyed it for what it was, it just hit critical stupid levels after a while and then it just flew off the rails into awfulville towards the end. But the entire show isn't THAT bad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sword Art Online Dubbed Episode 1: IF YOU DIE IN THE GAME, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE! That will never get old. Anyway, this was a pretty dull episodes filled with the expected world building and laying out of the premise, which in all honesty really is like a stupider version of dot hack. Indeed the show really wants to be dot hack, though it seems to be lack an actual game to go along with it. Anyway, the dub seemed fine, not Funimation level good but not Viz styled bad either.

yami4ct

Sword Art Online Dubbed Episode 1: IF YOU DIE IN THE GAME, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE! That will never get old. Anyway, this was a pretty dull episodes filled with the expected world building and laying out of the premise, which in all honesty really is like a stupider version of dot hack. Indeed the show really wants to be dot hack, though it seems to be lack an actual game to go along with it. Anyway, the dub seemed fine, not Funimation level good but not Viz styled bad either.

Speaking of VIz dubs, how'd Tiger & Bunny end up going? Never got a chance to check it out myself. Early clips seemed decent. Didn't like YL as Baranby, but TIger's voice sounded alright.

See here's the thing - I find it so hard to believe SAO lacks a multiplayer game of its own. I mean, even freaking Madoka Magica has an MMO.

Sailor Moon Rough 67

A beach episode where girls wear bikinis! Take THAT Precure! And no villains either, but a fucking Loch Ness Monster, wooow. I'm surprised no one was bewildered by it existing, but I guess dealing with Youmas and Droids made them think otherwise, even if said villains had the form of a hot woman....

Speaking of which, how come none of the droids/youmas were male?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Speaking of VIz dubs, how'd Tiger & Bunny end up going? Never got a chance to check it out myself. Early clips seemed decent. Didn't like YL as Baranby, but TIger's voice sounded alright.

Never watched Tiger and Bunny, at least not yet.

Both the dub and sub are up on Hulu if anyone wants to check it out. I actually just started watching it myself. I chose the sub track, since it was available.

There were a few youma that were male. Like a number of the Rainbow Crystal monster dudes. Even Ali and En had a few Cardians that were male.

Oh yeah, them. The other dudes who stop existing (and thus Ami lost a penis). And it's clear that I forgot the Doom Tree arc considering I actually forgot the name of those monsters. All I remember is that cheating gets you killed but also makes you realize how much you love your spouse.

Also that I will die for you is clearly the greatest pick up line in the series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So sad that more people in this thread rw-watched the first episode of Sword Art Online rather than that clip of classic British comedy I posted.

JCG

It's a pretty good dub. I don't recall having any complaints by the end of the show.

wonzo

Banned
At work on a Sunday~~~

Not sure if this has been posted (sorry Arti) but MF Bunko has announced 5(!!) anime adaptations of its LN shit. (Btw, fuck you LN authors for using kanji but having romaji titles. I had to lookup title readings from wiki because of this)

Seikoku no Dragoneer
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
No Game No Life
Mahou Sensou
Madan no Ou to Vanadees
No, I don't know what any of these are. No, I didn't bother to look them up.
A sea of shit and still no adaptation of Biblia Koshodou in sight. Fuck anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom