• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

It's a Japanese aircraft carrier.

You can tell because they speak Japanese and use the Japanese language, a.k.a. "glorious nihongo".
Yeah Japanese people do as Japanese people do regardless of location.

But they aren't in Japan. They're on an aircraft carrier.
See above.

But the tea-swilling ladies who drive a Churchill with a stiff upper lip also speak in the dulcet tones of halcyon Yamato, and they're pretty much living embodiments of something vaguely approximating Britannia. And main character girl's all about the German engineering and her sister dresses like she's auditioning for the Bund Deutscher Mädel. And living on an aircraft carrier is one of the top ten most American things you can ever do.

The language gets a bit lost in the syncretic cultural mish-mash, is what I'm sayin'.

I dunno, real estate prices on that bad boy are probs pretty killer. Rent in Manhattan is bananas and that place has got like way the hell more square footage than any ol' flight deck. Maybe the carrier's power plant keeps the NIMBY types out and drives prices down, though. Seems like too volatile a market for my blood.
They are all Japanese. The tournament is the national tournament so naturally participation implies they are all from the same country.
As for each school's obessions, that's a thing on a per school basis.
Make sure you watch the OVAs. They should help answer some things.

What if it's loli on milf action?
Lolidom on MILF

What if the milf had a gigantic fluffy tail?
Foxgirl MILF on lolidom cat girl.

Turn A Gundam 5
Aside from the absurd lack of actual giant robot fights in the opening of this show, the only other frustration I'm feeling is the bizarre insistence of various cast members in referring to Loran as a girl, when, you know, we've known damn well that Loran is a guy since the first episode.

Harry Ord sorta keeps dancing the line for me of whether he's a super awesome Quattro clone or just a really weird Char clone.
Better buckle up for that first point hahahaha

Ord is too unambitious to be Char. But trust me he is the bomb. You shall see as you go along.

Theonik

So I was at a bookstore today and found a book titled "500 anime movies" (they count OVAs as movies too) Deceided to peruse it...
ibeGtOrMqwFxTZ.JPG
LMAO

13K? That drop off was gigantic, even bigger than i was expecting.

I think you forgot to add the 9K+ DVD sales to that 13K.

something's notes:
Utapri v2 sells 13698/9563, total 23,261. Obviously way less than 54.5k, but already 10k better than s1v2. Like I said, that's a hell of an accomplishment for any show. If the other non-ticket volumes are as crazy consistent as s1's were, and we get another 60k v7 with ticket, the average would be roughly 36k, right next SAO and Girlpan. Put another way, s2's non-ticket volumes are gonna sell as much as s1's ticket volumes.

ST☆RISH forever.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tamako Market: Absent-Choinded Episode 1: Well, that was a bout of random that was strange and slightly unnerving.

Vividred Operation - Operation Keys

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/04/06/NEOGDS-92844_3.jpg[/IM]

Akane [url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-92847[/url]
Aoi [url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-92846[/url]
Wakaba [url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-92845[/url]
Himawari [url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-92844[/url]

Metal, not plastic. Kinda neat but I wish they were light-up USB flash drives.
Wonder if Rei's key is on its way also.[/QUOTE]

These better actually work, I've always wanted to wear magical spats.

Hellraider

Watamote has such an amazing balance between drama and comedy.This isn't a series that makes you laugh and cry depending on the episode.It makes you laugh and cry with the same freaking scene.

I am getting NHK ni youkoso vibes in pretty much every episode.I love it.

Watamote 04
This show is really fun to watch. I dont really see whats so uncomfortable about it. She embarasses herself true but I embarass myself all the time.

A socially awkward person getting embarassed in public is many, many times worse than a regular person.Someone like Tomoko feels bad in pretty much any situation that has any sort of interaction with other people.You need to imagine how much worse she feels when something uncomfortable happens.

Turn A Gundam 5

When in the hell am I going to see a giant robot actually fight another one!? GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR. Holy hell, I mean you punched that thing's HAND off, why not duke it out a little more here, people? How much longer do I have to wait to see even one mobile suit battle!?

Aside from the absurd lack of actual giant robot fights in the opening of this show, the only other frustration I'm feeling is the bizarre insistence of various cast members in referring to Loran as a girl, when, you know, we've known damn well that Loran is a guy since the first episode.

These gripes off of my chest, everything else is proceeding well enough. The mobile suit designs are all radically different from anything you might see in any other Gundam series. Even the Gundam itself only bears resemblance once told that it is a Gundam. The size differences between the variant suits is a bit unusual, too, since most shows have all MSes to some manner of standard.

There isn't a lot to say about the plot right now, other than the fact that Guin Rhineford is rapidly turning out to be a less benevolent character than initially expected, and that Dianna Soreil really does bear striking similarities to young Kihel Heim. Sochie is a bit selfish, but I mean, she's also a teenager dealing with grief in her own way. Also the war is rapidly escalating.

Harry Ord sorta keeps dancing the line for me of whether he's a super awesome Quattro clone or just a really weird Char clone.

Turn A is quite unique amongst the Gundam series, but that uniqueness (without saying too much since you are still early on in the series) is amongst the reasons why it's my favorite. Looking forward to seeing more of your impressions the further you get into the show.

Ord is too unambitious to be Char. But trust me he is the bomb. You shall see as you go along.

Quoted for truth. Ord also has the best eyewear of any Gundam character (or perhaps even any anime character) ever.

WATASHI GA MOTENAI NO WA DOUMITEMO OMAERA GA WARUI!

At some point, this show will hit way too close to home for you. You will either be incredibly depressed or appreciative that someone out there understands you, but you will inevitably experience one or the other. Watch, laugh, cringe, perhaps feel a little better about yourself.

Never has a description been more apt. I remember being the same way when I started senior high >.> Maybe a tad less creepy though.

I've only seen this and free as yet, but so far I'm pretty happy with the line up for this season. What else is good?

cajunator

Banned
Watamote has such an amazing balance between drama and comedy.This isn't a series that makes you laugh and cry depending on the episode.It makes you laugh and cry with the same freaking scene.

I am getting NHK ni youkoso vibes in pretty much every episode.I love it.

A socially awkward person getting embarassed in public is many, many times worse than a regular person.Someone like Tomoko feels bad in pretty much any situation that has any sort of interaction with other people.You need to imagine how much worse she feels when something uncomfortable happens.

People dont nickname me alien for nothin.

cnet128

Banned
So I was at a bookstore today and found a book titled "500 anime movies" (they count OVAs as movies too) Deceided to peruse it...

LMAO

Oh god why

Futari wa Precure: Max Heart - 11

A fair amount of :sdburton courtesy of Nagisa's lacrosse team with their hand holding power up technique. "So warm~"

Oh hey, I remember this episode. It was the first episode of Max Heart I thought was actually good.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 4

Is it just me, or is Ai getting more adorable every episode? Urge to hug rising...

And now we have a
city of the dead
. I'm still not entirely clear on how the dead work in this world - the way Humpney described it, it sounded like their minds deteriorate to the point that they can no longer be called human fairly quickly, but considering
the city we have here
(and I suppose
Ai's home village, since everyone there was apparently dead for quite some time
), it seems like they can go on functioning pretty much like normal human beings for quite some time. I wonder if there's any clear limit to that? Any factors that can speed up, slow down, or even halt the deterioration entirely? I guess this is one of the things Ai needs to find out more about, and this seems like a good opportunity to do that.

At any rate, this series continues to be plenty interesting.

Kind of sad in a way that I only have a couple episodes of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb left to watch. I only just got into the franchise this year and it's quickly become one of my favorite shows. Its lightheartedness makes for good post-work viewing.

survivor

Banned
Never has a description been more apt. I remember being the same way when I started senior high >.> Maybe a tad less creepy though.

I've only seen this and free as yet, but so far I'm pretty happy with the line up for this season. What else is good?

Uchouten Kazoku and Gatchaman Crowds.

Gundam Wing - 1

Well, first episode of the first Gundam series I'll see. And...It's wasn't bad, but it wasn't too exciting (but then again, exciting first anime episodes are rare).

There's not really much explanation as to why this alliance is evil. They just overpower other colonies yeah, so I can see where most of the hate is coming from, but I've seen much worse evil alliances in anime. I hope I see some REAL evil from them.

Okay, that guy is definitely evil though since he's wearing a mask.

Those are some pretty damn good mecha designs for the Gundam. Though I can't say the same for those fodder Halo-Spartan wannabe mechs.

This dub isn't exactly great. I mean, the characters talk really slow and have almost no enthusiasm in their lines. I especially love this one scene where something freaking explodes and a guy just casually looks away and asks: "Are we under attack?" before getting sliced in half.

Ok...here's our love interest who saves main character's life...who promptly makes something on his chest explode and steals an ambulance. All right then.

Not wasting any time introducing the characters and their badass robots are ya anime?

2ckLHoF.png

Hitler is such a whiner.

All right, main character now wants to kill our main love interest. Well that's one way to start an anime!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Watamote - 04

NTfpXQv.png
xEIKJdg.png

:sdburton

Please let there be an episode where Tomoko realizes her obvious feelings for Yuu. They work so well together! If not,
please make it happen C84. :(

That train scene though...

iMz27.gif

santeesioux

WataMote 4

I think I paused the episode at least 12 times for cringe breaks. It's a great show but dang the awkwardness can get to you

The show should be called how many times can you cringe.

I think that may be the most i have ever cringed in a show before, and i usually don't have that problem. Especially the
naginata scene

Well knowing how the last CB DVD box disappeared quickly I guess I should pick this up before it is too late even if it goes again my principles.

Yup. I'm a proud owner of said CB DVD box, having pre-ordered it for the smart end of two months before it finally released.

Narag

Gundam Wing - 1

Well, first episode of the first Gundam series I'll see. And...It's wasn't bad, but it wasn't too exciting (but then again, exciting first anime episodes are rare).

There's not really much explanation as to why this alliance is evil. They just overpower other colonies yeah, so I can see where most of the hate is coming from, but I've seen much worse evil alliances in anime. I hope I see some REAL evil from them.

Okay, that guy is definitely evil though since he's wearing a mask.

Those are some pretty damn good mecha designs for the Gundam. Though I can't say the same for those fodder Halo-Spartan wannabe mechs.

This dub isn't exactly great. I mean, the characters talk really slow and have almost no enthusiasm in their lines. I especially love this one scene where something freaking explodes and a guy just casually looks away and asks: "Are we under attack?" before getting sliced in half.

Ok...here's our love interest who saves main character's life...who promptly makes something on his chest explode and steals an ambulance. All right then.

Not wasting any time introducing the characters and their badass robots are ya anime?

All right, main character now wants to kill our main love interest. Well that's one way to start an anime!

OZ is like nonstop awesome grunt suits. Don't hate!

Iirc the dub is stilted due to the Ocean system to help match lipflaps. Is that true? I dunno but that's what I read forever ago!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom