• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

UoloMAj.png

Well shit, Sugita is officially in the waifu app game. At this point, I should just predict that the Gintama franchise will make it over so that it hopefully comes true. lol

I may have to make space for my first husbando...
Lately there's been a flood of characters I want to add but I have only one open slot.
Going to have to do some hardcore leveling up.

CorvoSol

It's mostly the music that sounds similar to me. And it has the same mix of comedic elements and mecha fights, which I really enjoyed about FMP.

Ah, that makes more sense, then.

Utena 27

Nanami is a space alien. A digusting, horrifying beast that needs to be put down. I'm sorry Touga, but your sister lays eggs. Time to put her down. It'll only benefit everyone. :-D

But is it better than when she was a cow?

Better buckle up for that first point hahahaha

Ord is too unambitious to be Char. But trust me he is the bomb. You shall see as you go along.

A-are you implying that this is gonna be another Lord Dilandau of Escaflowne twist?

OZ is like nonstop awesome grunt suits. Don't hate!

Iirc the dub is stilted due to the Ocean system to help match lipflaps. Is that true? I dunno but that's what I read forever ago!!

WORD. OZ develops the best mook mecha in the entire series. The Virgo is super cool.

Cashew Sins 16

Cashew realizes that he compliments Tsundried Tomatoes very well, and wants the best for her and Onion Ringo, also some backstory on Ohji.

Second half was about LORD DIO the Walnut, and overcoming his weakness, with the help of Bragging Brass, and violence ensued to show just how much Dio improved.

Things are getting interesting

Do you ever wonder if people know we're watching the same show, just based on what we say about it?

cajunator

Banned
I think the relatable bits add to the charm even if they do get uncomfortable on occasion.

I have found a handful of things that I suppose were relateable, however I didnt cringe because of it. More like "eh so thats how I was. I was silly".
At a certain point in life I just accepted who I was and just rolled with it.

I love this movie and everything coming from it soooooo much.

Narag

I have found a handful of things that I suppose were relateable, however I didnt cringe because of it. More like "eh so thats how I was. I was silly".
At a certain point in life I just accepted who I was and just rolled with it.

Same here. Maybe those really uncomfortable by it skew on the younger side.

DiGiKerot

Saw this in the Cowboy Bebop thread but early reports from people who have the UK Blu-Ray are that it is actually region free. Who is willing to take the plunge to test this for the rest of us poor North Americans? :(

I don't have a native Zone A BD player, but I do have a European player that is hackable and permanently set to be Zone A.

Whilst it wouldn't play the Zone B only Street Fighter II The Movie BD I stuck in there, presenting me with a region-locking screen, Bebop certainly seemed to work.

Take that as you will.

cajunator

Banned
Same here. Maybe those really uncomfortable by it skew on the younger side.

I think thats possible.
I mean you are what you are. The sooner a person accepts that the better off they are.
If anything, embrace your uniqueness because it beats the hell out of being boring.

cajunator

Banned
hcDL2nz.jpg

<3

This gets me every time too:

nWKutjA.jpg

Reminds of a joke panel my friend use to run at a local convention called "Versus a Leo" The joke being that Leos are cannon fodder and can be defeated by ANYTHING. The whole panel was spent mentioning things that can beat a Leo and how.
Actually wow. GO look on youtube "Vs a leo" you will see some of my friends when they used to hold the panel before they moved away.

Watamote - Episode 4

Wow, they are really making Yuu look ecchi in this show. Also I like her brother, he looks cool and actually acts like a brother would to a sibling.

Even though I've read the manga I still feel sorry for her when I see these :(

cajunator

Banned
No, you suck.
Fuck the second movie too ;______;

Some people just wont ever understand, AWESOMEBEAR

Watamote - Episode 4

Wow, they are really making Yuu look ecchi in this show. Also I like her brother, he looks cool and actually acts like a brother would to a sibling.

Even though I've read the manga I still feel sorry for her when I see these :(

Not-Yayoi is pretty wonderful. Shes adorable and popular but a good friend to Tomoko.

Mr.Jeff

Time of EVE 3
Also, I can't tell if the future is just populated by anti-android/human relations propaganda, or if the main guy's sister is just ALWAYS watching this jazz. She also never seems to go anywhere.
I think it's just that point in time when mankind has created humanoid slave bots with all the freedom that entails for them but has hit that realisation that if you're programming them that smart to the point where they're beginning to think for themselves, where then does the line exist?

Or something. Maybe they're just watching the equivalent of Fox News.

CorvoSol

I think it's just that point in time when mankind has created humanoid slave bots with all the freedom that entails for them but has hit that realisation that if you're programming them that smart to the point where they're beginning to think for themselves, where then does the line exist?

Or something. Maybe they're just watching the equivalent of Fox News.

I sort of feel that it is the latter, because what the girl is watching seems rather obviously propaganda. The use of terms like "Android-holic," the commercial emphatically stating there's no love between machine and man, and the constant reminders that robots aren't humans by the ethics committee.

And since this series runs off of Asimov's Three Laws, I kinda carry out other things I remember from the Robots novels. Namely: there was plenty of human on robot relationships (although some people definitely considered them taboo), and the strain of human on robot relationships is what sort of triggered the Zeroeth Law's realization in Robots.

I do appreciate that they acknowledge in the show that the Three Laws have some grey in them. Mostly because what entails "Harm" is a huge gap. Especially when you consider that immediate action will cause lessened harm but immediate inaction will ensure greater harm. What does the robot do then?

cajunator

Banned
I sort of feel that it is the latter, because what the girl is watching seems rather obviously propaganda. The use of terms like "Android-holic," the commercial emphatically stating there's no love between machine and man, and the constant reminders that robots aren't humans by the ethics committee.

And since this series runs off of Asimov's Three Laws, I kinda carry out other things I remember from the Robots novels. Namely: there was plenty of human on robot relationships (although some people definitely considered them taboo), and the strain of human on robot relationships is what sort of triggered the Zeroeth Law's realization in Robots.

I do appreciate that they acknowledge in the show that the Three Laws have some grey in them. Mostly because what entails "Harm" is a huge gap. Especially when you consider that immediate action will cause lessened harm but immediate inaction will ensure greater harm. What does the robot do then?
have you seen Armitage the III? some interesting robot/human commentary in that. Plus a cutie in hotpants.

Mr.Jeff

While I agree that it may be that the particular news channel is perhaps overly biased, I can easily see a situation where any development of any form of relationship beyond a purely Master to Servant/Tool is viewed in negative terms by the mainstream media and society as a whole.

In this new era where robots are becoming more advanced and have finally hit the stage where all that defines them from normal human beings is their halo, would there not be over-exaggerated tales of jilted spouses being ousted by the perfect robot mate or unusual sightings of robots doing something outside their programming?

Not to mention, if these man-made creations were to indeed possess their own intelligence and become capable of emotion, what then becomes of the manufacturers? The ethical quagmire they stand to gain from acceptance of such things would be uneconomical to say the least.

The ethics committee I can imagine as a semi-governmental organisation that has come to the conclusion that there could be nothing worse for the survival of the human race than the acceptance of a relationship between man and machine.

The more interesting question is perhaps "How long has such resentment been common since the creation of the humanoid robots?" but that skipping a couple of episodes ahead.

Most of this is spraff thought up on the fly since I haven't seen the series in a few years so make of that what you will.

been reading Index vol 3 on commute to work these days. about halfway done but i do feel like the ln might actually work best for this series over the anime or manga. being able to absorb all the nonsense at one's pace is key here.

Railgun S really should have had more touma interaction with the imouto. The way they did it really made touma a... idk.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 60

I can't figure out if Shaoran is lucky or unlucky that Sakura is too "spacey", to quote Meilin, to realize how he feels about her.

I had thought that promise between Shaoran and Meilin was made because Meilin realized that her love for him just couldn't work because they were cousins, but it seems like it was more that she didn't think he would fall for anybody else. Maybe it was just heat-of-the-moment emotional reaction. I wonder why she went to Tomoyo though. The two never seemed all that close. But still, she's moved on now. Now time for Shaoran to do what he needs to do, a scene I'm not particularly looking forward too, because I'm just not good with them.

don't shaoran and sakura something in tsubasa reservoir dogs? Something with clones of fathers of sons of clones of something.

man was that manga a clusterfuck.

mokona was awesome though.

cajunator

Banned
don't shaoran and sakura something in tsubasa reservoir dogs? Something with clones of fathers of sons of clones of something.

man was that manga a clusterfuck.

mokona was awesome though.

Clamp reuses characters like crazy. Misaki's battle doll Hikaru in Angelic Layer is Hikaru from MAgic Knight Rayearth.

cnet128

Banned
Clamp reuses characters like crazy. Misaki's battle doll Hikaru in Angelic Layer is Hikaru from MAgic Knight Rayearth.

Yes, but the Sakura and Syaoran in Tsubasa were directly linked back to the versions from CCS. Eventually. In the most convoluted interdimensional timetravel clonetastic magical way possible. Eheheheh...I quite enjoyed that manga. Pity the anime adaptations were so...all over the place.

Servant x Service 4

...Well, that was an interesting way to end the episode o_O

This series continues to be crazy fun. I love the way all the characters play off each other so well. Especially Hasebe and Lucy. Hasebe is just...wonderful XD

As for their section manager, I think I may join the show's characters in pretending he doesn't exist =p

cajunator

Banned
Yes, but the Sakura and Syaoran in Tsubasa were directly linked back to the versions from CCS. Eventually. In the most convoluted interdimensional timetravel clonetastic magical way possible. Eheheheh...I quite enjoyed that manga. Pity the anime adaptations were so...all over the place.

Servant x Service 4

...Well, that was an interesting way to end the episode o_O

This series continues to be crazy fun. I love the way all the characters play off each other so well. Especially Hasebe and Lucy. Hasebe is just...wonderful XD

As for their section manager, I think I may join the show's characters in pretending he doesn't exist =p

Which is the ahoge girl? shes my favorite.

CorvoSol

have you seen Armitage the III? some interesting robot/human commentary in that. Plus a cutie in hotpants.

You are a true master of advertisement, Cajun. "Robot-human commentary! Plus DAT BOOTY!" Hahaha.

While I agree that it may be that the particular news channel is perhaps overly biased, I can easily see a situation where any development of any form of relationship beyond a purely Master to Servant/Tool is viewed in negative terms by the mainstream media and society as a whole.

In this new era where robots are becoming more advanced and have finally hit the stage where all that defines them from normal human beings is their halo, would there not be over-exaggerated tales of jilted spouses being ousted by the perfect robot mate or unusual sightings of robots doing something outside their programming?

Not to mention, if these man-made creations were to indeed possess their own intelligence and become capable of emotion, what then becomes of the manufacturers? The ethical quagmire they stand to gain from acceptance of such things would be uneconomical to say the least.

The ethics committee I can imagine as a semi-governmental organisation that has come to the conclusion that there could be nothing worse for the survival of the human race than the acceptance of a relationship between man and machine.

The more interesting question is perhaps "How long has such resentment been common since the creation of the humanoid robots?" but that skipping a couple of episodes ahead.

Most of this is spraff thought up on the fly since I haven't seen the series in a few years so make of that what you will.

I think the sister comments on this during one episode, when she quips "the birth rate's just going to get worse from here on out." Of course, this wasn't a problem in Asimov's series because humanity was in the process of colonizing worlds when it developed Androids, so robots weren't a threat to humanity in that sense. The Zeroeth Law, that a robot cannot harm humanity or through inaction allow humanity to come to harm, also required that robots mostly fall out of use and the public eye, as R. Daneel Olivaw and his followers guided the Foundations until the time of Galctica or whatever that was (toward the end it all got hella weird).

I don't deny that there is credibility to the ethical/moral argument of human-machine relations, since that begins the massive debate into whether robots and AI have souls/wills of their own or if AI really is more A than I, and that there are both practical and philosophical questions worth raising. I just think that the channel the girl is watching is very obviously propaganda. After all, the "Ethics" committee has yet to address the ethics of enslaving a race of beings who are, for all intents and purposes, sentient. And while we might argue that it is reasonable to enslave a race that could otherwise pose a threat to our own, that set-up positively smacks of the same story that we can find in the book of Exodus. Robots/Hebrews outnumbering Man/Egypt, so we'll enslave and cull them. Until one of them stands up, says enough is enough, and then we have a bigger problem.

cajunator

Banned
You are a true master of advertisement, Cajun. "Robot-human commentary! Plus DAT BOOTY!" Hahaha.

I think the sister comments on this during one episode, when she quips "the birth rate's just going to get worse from here on out." Of course, this wasn't a problem in Asimov's series because humanity was in the process of colonizing worlds when it developed Androids, so robots weren't a threat to humanity in that sense. The Zeroeth Law, that a robot cannot harm humanity or through inaction allow humanity to come to harm, also required that robots mostly fall out of use and the public eye, as R. Daneel Olivaw and his followers guided the Foundations until the time of Galctica or whatever that was (toward the end it all got hella weird).

I don't deny that there is credibility to the ethical/moral argument of human-machine relations, since that begins the massive debate into whether robots and AI have souls/wills of their own or if AI really is more A than I, and that there are both practical and philosophical questions worth raising. I just think that the channel the girl is watching is very obviously propaganda. After all, the "Ethics" committee has yet to address the ethics of enslaving a race of beings who are, for all intents and purposes, sentient. And while we might argue that it is reasonable to enslave a race that could otherwise pose a threat to our own, that set-up positively smacks of the same story that we can find in the book of Exodus. Robots/Hebrews outnumbering Man/Egypt, so we'll enslave and cull them. Until one of them stands up, says enough is enough, and then we have a bigger problem.

Naomi Armitage <3
XcSfjE4.jpg

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 22
Chirico is fucking lucky.
Also I'm kind of getting Area-88 vibes from this. Mostly with the mercenaries.
Onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom