• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am watching Free!.

Is it a cultural difference between the US and Japan, or did Japan deliberately make this anime to cater to male homosexuals and heterosexual females who like dude-on-dude?

I like it.

It is a show targeted at fujoshi, female otaku who enjoy fantasizing about guys making out with each other. The director is a fujoshi herself.

Tenumi

Banned
"Sacrebleu !"

well i don't take the bus anymore...

And when i was in school i was playing GOLDEN SUN on my GBA sound at maximum level without headphones and enjoying every minute of it !

Duh , i don't care who wanted to sit next to me .. i was busy saving the world !

You played Golden Sun. My opinion of you has improved greatly.

I'm really kinda weird with Watamote. I don't cringe or laugh or anything when I watch it. I smile. I almost feel a sort of connection. An understanding. Maybe its my desire for my life to be normal; to be better, that has me happy watching it, I don't know. but whatever effect its having on most everyone else isn't effecting me.

God, that was probably creepy right there...

zeroshiki

Anime creators are discovering more and more what Johnny's Entertainment has known since the 70's. Women fans are way more reliable and spend more money.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
On the whole, I find it funny and kind of offensive how alot of people seem to think the backstreets of Akihabara (and/or Comiket) represent the entire country. 90% of the country doesn't give a shit about dakimakura or anime BDs.

That "Last of Us is selling well in Japan" thread on Gaming Side where the second poster basically said "because pedophiles obv" and 300 posts of SECOND POST NAILS IT LEL +1 WOULD READ AGAIN ensued was probably the low point of this on Gaming Side.

OceanBlue

That "Last of Us is selling well in Japan" thread on Gaming Side where the second poster basically said "because pedophiles obv" and 300 posts of SECOND POST NAILS IT LEL +1 WOULD READ AGAIN ensued was probably the low point of this on Gaming Side.

What the fuck? That's kinda messed up. D:

Narag

best madp avatar returns

Mature

Hey, AnimeGAF!
I just wanted to stop by and give thanks to everyone that recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to me! I got my girlfriend to watch it with me, and she's up to End Of Evangelion!
So, I drew a pic of EVA-01 and I thought you guys would like it!
It's not done, but whatevs.

Thanks for the good recommendations! I'll be watching more anime as soon as we finish End Of Evangelion, so I'll be around more. :p
Righteous. Hope your lady likes it.

best madp avatar returns
Wait, he's back to actually using Mad Pierr— nope.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, what are some other site options if I want to import a recently-released DVD that's out of stock on amazon.co.jp? I have a friend in Japan who I can ship to and he'll ship to me so international shipping issues aren't really a problem here.

zeroshiki

Guys, what are some other site options if I want to import a recently-released DVD that's out of stock on amazon.co.jp? I have a friend in Japan who I can ship to and he'll ship to me so international shipping issues aren't really a problem here.

Rakuten or you could just use random electronics chains' sites like yodobashi.com or biccamera.com

wonzo

Banned
yuricam5.png

yuricam anime when???

Shergal

Well, he can be animation director! Although I wouldn't mind he direct. I just want something from KyoAni again at the level of Hyouka ;_; Is that too much to ask?

It probably is.

Well, who knows. I'd like for the art director of Hyouka (Shuhei Okude) to work on another show, since that's an aspect of the show that is leagues beyond everything else the studio has done.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Professor Tomoe fits his posts much better than Mad Pierrot. Bonus points for being Sailor Moon which was this inexplicable exemption to anime avatar scorn on GAF.

I should really just get a name change again since my namesake doesn't really befit my actual posts. I wouldn't mind a Sailor Moon-themed username, actually.

And I actually did switch back to this because I have some extended OT-ing that I need to do for a while. Getting some health advice in a very alphabro thread and I'd just rather get answers than not :lol

You played Golden Sun. My opinion of you has improved greatly.

I'm really kinda weird with Watamote. I don't cringe or laugh or anything when I watch it. I smile. I almost feel a sort of connection. An understanding. Maybe its my desire for my life to be normal; to be better, that has me happy watching it, I don't know. but whatever effect its having on most everyone else isn't effecting me.

God, that was probably creepy right there...

Brofist.
I don't know how many times i've completed golden sun. i do know that i've played the first game ( sound off ) during math and french classes ( i was bored ) and that i couldn't have managed one of my VERY REMOTE school on the country side if i hadn't golden sun 2 and a gba SP ..i can safely say that i know those games like the back of my hand.

--------------
Red data girl - 06

Argh things are happenning too fast , what was supposed to be a trip on a countryside quickly turned into a clash & power struggle but i learned something very important.

-Girls that lived recluse off society can get drunk on light liquor..
-Good girls , even drunk stay good girls.

Dully noted.

Novid

Banned
So I am watching Free!.

Is it a cultural difference between the US and Japan, or did Japan deliberately make this anime to cater to male homosexuals and heterosexual females who like dude-on-dude?

I like it.

its the magic mike trick. but since the director is a woman is way more...explicit.

Tenumi

Banned

The sad part it, if I remember correctly, that guy was part of AnimalCrossingGaf before the game was released, and seemed rather cool and nice. Shame to have seen that he'd stoop to such lows.

Syrinx

Professor Tomoe fits his posts much better than Mad Pierrot. Bonus points for being Sailor Moon which was this inexplicable exemption to anime avatar scorn on GAF.

It seems like Sailor Moon is way more guilty of some of the things a lot of GAF complains about in anime (ex: pantyshots) than shows like K-ON!, but the latter gets all the scorn.

Novid

Banned

well, when gaming side is so worried about how many Noire's stats are legit and so much shade throwing straight out of PopGaf, you wonder if yall the most cultured around here outside of ToonamiGaf/Gaf-Hop/Transgender-Gaf

Novid

Banned
The sad part it, if I remember correctly, that guy was part of AnimalCrossingGaf before the game was released, and seemed rather cool and nice. Shame to have seen that he'd stoop to such lows.

yeah that's a damn shame. but it explains a lot though.

Dresden

uchoten kazoku - 04

Man, that was good!

The false mountain flashback was not only entertaining, it's basically a big red flag as to the kind of impact and shadow their father casts over them all. The way that the family acts in wake of his death is illustrative of the void he's left, and is reinforced even further by the way his narrative fills in their present escapades. The implicit assumption being that even for his father, it was a facade he had to maintain, and perhaps this lofty estimation of that deceased tanuki is what holds the sons from stepping forward as a whole.

Disappointed that we didn't get to see Kaisei. Benten/10

Anne of Green Gables 1-20

There's always a heightened layer of expression when using drawings instead of shooting, and if utilised properly it can elevate even the most inconsequential to the most beautiful.

Strong cinematography can accomplish the same thing in live-action (see Terrence Malick, for instance). Though certainly animation has its unique qualities that make it a suitable medium even for realistic material - blending the real and fantastical, adding a layer of abstraction, giving the director total visual control.

It's interesting comparing episode 20, which happens to be a semi-recap retrospective set at the first anniversary of Anne's arrival at Green Gables, with the opener of the series. Anne herself was very prone to daydream, extremely verbose and a bit of a queer; but at the same time she was someone who loved life, and her charm quickly reached the Cuthbert siblings, as well as everyone else in the town.
By episode 20, she's much more diligent, can do house chores with little problem and her social life has progressed a lot, but the essential qualities that made her captivating remain. The development is so gradual and realistic (forgetting the pie in the oven was a neat touch punctuating this) that you can't help but be drawn in. Likewise, the rest of the major characters are extremely well established from the get-go and always changing, and their interrelationships are unique and distinct between each other.

The series does a good job with its characters, particularly with Anne and her gradual development and growth over many years. Takahata has the original novel to thank for that, though he did a pretty good job of expanding it into a long TV series. I like how the show visually shows Anne's growth through several different stages of her design; it's rare that an anime covers such a time span in detail enough to use that many designs.

Even in motion, the first shot of the OP looks really bad, like rusty iron or a bad pre-2000 CG texture. Every time I start an episode I'm greeted by this ugliness, and it's a disservice to the phenomenal background art to be found in the show proper.

I don't agree there; I like the look of that shot. Looks like an impressionist watercolor, and conveys the sensation of the ground rushing past Anne.

Narag

It seems like Sailor Moon is way more guilty of some of the things a lot of GAF complains about in anime (ex: pantyshots) than shows like K-ON!, but the latter gets all the scorn.

It gets grandfathered in for being part of "back when anime was good" I guess.

Shergal

Strong cinematography can accomplish the same thing in live-action (see Terrence Malick, for instance). Though certainly animation has its unique qualities that make it a suitable medium even for realistic material - blending the real and fantastical, adding a layer of abstraction, giving the director total visual control.
I didn't mean to say live-action can't do it, of course, but to emphasize that it mostly always happens (and can be exploited) in animation.
Speaking of blending the real with the fantastical, I just love the way Takahata does it. The scene below the trees in the first episode of the series, or the orchestra playing mid-air, blending with the storm in Gauche the Cellist, or the ending of Only Yesterday- just perfect visualizations of concepts. And for these cases it's certainly easier to do it in animation!

I like how the show visually shows Anne's growth through several different stages of her design; it's rare that an anime covers such a time span in detail enough to use that many designs.
I haven't quite reached the later years of the narrative, but I have heard many praises about this aspect, calling it Kondo's masterwork. He was such an amazingly talented artist.

I don't agree there; I like the look of that shot. Looks like an impressionist watercolor, and conveys the sensation of the ground rushing past Anne.
I think there is a solid idea of what it's supposed to convey but the draftsmanship betrays it; perhaps it just seems dated to me, as I can't viscerally get that feeling.

You always make thoughtful responses to these, I appreciate it!

Red data girl - 07

wow this anime sure know how to handle drama and cliffangers .

There isn't much to say without going into spoilers but the sibling relation works pretty well

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey, AnimeGAF!
I just wanted to stop by and give thanks to everyone that recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to me! I got my girlfriend to watch it with me, and she's up to End Of Evangelion!
So, I drew a pic of EVA-01 and I thought you guys would like it!
It's not done, but whatevs.

Thanks for the good recommendations! I'll be watching more anime as soon as we finish End Of Evangelion, so I'll be around more. :p

Full Metal Panic next! ;P

FMP -> Fummofu -> 2nd Raid

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 62

Sakura was particularly funny early in this episode. Her anger with her brother calling her "monster" was funnier in this episode than in most. I like how her friend made it a point to put it on her card that Yamazaki was full of shit...again. Why does she still listen to him?

Sad to see the condition Yukito's in though.

Red data girl - 08
Decent episode where things were happening at the right pace .

and finally some info on the himegami

Not to mention the fact that this arc settled a lot of things.

Yep , pretty good episode.

I'm not really feeling the main character of Girls Und Panzer.

The whole "guts, teamwork, and dedication" theme kinda falls flat when the protagonist is one step short of being the heir to a legendary tank dynasty. Were it not for aircraft carrier-centric societies inscrutably functioning on a system of primogeniture she'd be one of the villains, y'know? She'd be hanging out in a big tank looking menacing in the closing shot of the episode right alongside her sister, while monocle girl would be the protagonist proving her worth in the face of a vastly better-trained and better-equipped foe with nothing but chutzpah and funny faces, and we'd all be better off for it.

But the whole thing is that Miho rejects what she learned from her family and learns the real power of friendship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom