• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Nope, I only watched the first season after which I took a break in compliance with my policy regarding multi-season series.

Highschool DxD S2 - 2

Good to see they kept all the good songs from the first season.

I really like this show's universe and lore. I wonder if we are ever gonna see the Lord himself.

Wait. "Nope I've never seen this before" or "Nope I've seen this before"?

Servant x Service - 04:
ektp.png

My surprise show of the season. Really like this.

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 17

Why does Faris have the ability to have memories from both world lines like Okabe? My only theory for that at this point is that they're connected genetically. Like, he's her real father or something instead of her father. Time travel...kind of complicates things. I'm probably overthinking this; it's probably because the writers couldn't get it to work without her remembering what she sent. But if that were the case, then why didn't they just have it so that she told them from the beginning what she was sending? I enjoyed this episode very much, but...I'm just wondering whether Faris is the sort of character who really warrants creating that kind of plothole for, you know? This was emotional and all, but I still feel like if they're going to have her be able to have memories from both lines, there needs to be a reason for it.

Well, anyway, from this episode and the two seconds I saw of the preview for next episode, the next few episodes will be about Okabe having to juggle the guilt of undoing the d-mails that have helped make so many of his friends much happier and have more fulfilling lives with the necessity of getting to a reality where they have the IBN 5100 and prevent Mayuri's death. Will be interesting. Ruka will be the focus of the next one, and I like her, and she seems happier as a girl, so to see her faced with having to undo that will be tough.

Okabe may want to think some more about Mayuri's clock. She dies whenever it stops. He should probably look into that.

Jintor

I envision Cajun turning into a magical girl.

Man it's weird how cult-like tankery sounds like in english when I just kind of glossed over it in Japanese

Highschool DxD S2 - 2

Good to see they kept all the good songs from the first season.

I really like this show's universe and lore. I wonder if we are ever gonna see the Lord himself.
the universe is actually one of this show strong point , trust me you've seen nothing yet ... such awesome stuff happens aterwards...

Joshiraku - OVA

We'll never get another episode of this show again.

Goddammit. Such a tragedy.

You said it ...such a tragedy .
i agree 100%

It's getting pretty difficult to watch anime cause SMT IV is so much fun to play.

It's not fun when you have the upper hand only for you to get wiped out the next turn.

CorvoSol

I have neither seen Fumoffu nor The Second Raid. So my impressions are completely blind.

Highschool DxD S2 - 3

This really looks like a great setting for an RPG.

Well now I have to read your every post in this thread until you've finished them. You're in for my favorite anime series of all time, my man.

Red Data girl - 04

So after a looooong hiatus , i'm picking red data girl again .
i kinda regret that i stopped but now i can watch several eps in a row so it's alright.

So we're going into full fantasy now but in school. the new characters seems fine and shit hit the fan much faster than i could have imagined.

Cool !! off to see next episode !

Robot Girls Z 0

This is pretty fun, even for someone like me who has no knowledge of or interest in the mecha shows it's referencing. Great animation. In its energetic portrayal of gratuitously violent girls, it reminds me a bit of Tsutomu Mizushima's work.

I particularly liked this visual gag, which I don't believe I've seen before.

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 18

"Quit acting so high and mighty, you American virgin!" This may be the greatest line in the history of fiction.

So now even Ruka has memories that cross world lines. What's going on here? Now that both Ruka and Faris had them, there now has to be a reason.

I never knew Ruka felt that way about Okabe. Like my previous impression said, Okabe really is having to juggle guilt and necessity here. Ruka is so much happier as a girl, and she's afraid of having to be a boy and not be allowed to feel the way she feels about Okabe as one. Expounding this is that she broke the IBN 5100 in the shrine, meaning that she blames herself for the situation.

Shergal

Anne of Green Gables 1-20
This is just too good. From the outside, it might be strange that such level of minute realism can be achieved in animation, and the idea itself can even sound pointless. Why use drawings to present down to earth events involving layered characters, when you can do it live-action?

It's easy to see how extremely well it works after seeing Takahata's works in this fashion, and Anne is as good as anything he has done (that I've seen yet). There's always a heightened layer of expression when using drawings instead of shooting, and if utilised properly it can elevate even the most inconsequential to the most beautiful. For this, I think Yoshifumi Kondo deserves just as much credit as the director; his designs are some of the most expressive I've encountered, and as the animation director he's shown how well he understands the people being depicted here. From Anne's grandiose flights of fancy to even the slightest reactions the characters have when interacting, the level of expertise is through the roof.

It's interesting comparing episode 20, which happens to be a semi-recap retrospective set at the first anniversary of Anne's arrival at Green Gables, with the opener of the series. Anne herself was very prone to daydream, extremely verbose and a bit of a queer; but at the same time she was someone who loved life, and her charm quickly reached the Cuthbert siblings, as well as everyone else in the town.
By episode 20, she's much more diligent, can do house chores with little problem and her social life has progressed a lot, but the essential qualities that made her captivating remain. The development is so gradual and realistic (forgetting the pie in the oven was a neat touch punctuating this) that you can't help but be drawn in. Likewise, the rest of the major characters are extremely well established from the get-go and always changing, and their interrelationships are unique and distinct between each other.

For all the praise I'm giving this show, there is one bad thing:
Even in motion, the first shot of the OP looks really bad, like rusty iron or a bad pre-2000 CG texture. Every time I start an episode I'm greeted by this ugliness, and it's a disservice to the phenomenal background art to be found in the show proper.

Red Data girl - 05

Now that i'm the kind of guy that dislike went thing are too slow , i can't help but think that things are happening quite fast ... it's not too fast it's just fast .

in this episode , we got , the solving the previous treat , the appearance of a new teacher , some draaaaaama and the final reveal ..

waouh that's a lot ..

and that scene after the credits .... this is a lot to consider.

But somehow this is still intresting.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 17

Why does Faris have the ability to have memories from both world lines like Okabe? My only theory for that at this point is that they're connected genetically. Like, he's her real father or something instead of her father. Time travel...kind of complicates things. I'm probably overthinking this; it's probably because the writers couldn't get it to work without her remembering what she sent. But if that were the case, then why didn't they just have it so that she told them from the beginning what she was sending? I enjoyed this episode very much, but...I'm just wondering whether Faris is the sort of character who really warrants creating that kind of plothole for, you know? This was emotional and all, but I still feel like if they're going to have her be able to have memories from both lines, there needs to be a reason for it.

Well, anyway, from this episode and the two seconds I saw of the preview for next episode, the next few episodes will be about Okabe having to juggle the guilt of undoing the d-mails that have helped make so many of his friends much happier and have more fulfilling lives with the necessity of getting to a reality where they have the IBN 5100 and prevent Mayuri's death. Will be interesting. Ruka will be the focus of the next one, and I like her, and she seems happier as a girl, so to see her faced with having to undo that will be tough.

Okabe may want to think some more about Mayuri's clock. She dies whenever it stops. He should probably look into that.

You have some interesting theories I must say.

*imagine the scene*

"Taste my leftover power of cute !!"
/*flying kick */
"yaaaaah"

:)
Yep perfect ...that's how it went down isn't it ?

Very similar.

Yes. Pretty much.

watamote 4
socks.jpg

fashion

i just... idk. being a dude that never desired to get raped or wear lingerie... i really can't relate to anything? Nothing really funny either.

Think ill drop for now.

watamote 4
fashion

i just... idk. being a dude that never desired to get raped or wear lingerie... i really can't relate to anything? Nothing really funny either.

Think ill drop for now.

I didn't understand the fashion or molestation jokes either, but I did understand the being aroused and the end episode joke. Even though the show is supposed to be funny, even I find myself feeling bad for her instead of laughing it out of what's happening to her.

This show is weird like that. You feel bad for her but at the same time can't help but laugh. A weird mix.

Watamote 04

That feel when no one wants to sit next to you on the bus. ~_~

"Sacrebleu !"

well i don't take the bus anymore...

And when i was in school i was playing GOLDEN SUN on my GBA sound at maximum level without headphones and enjoying every minute of it !

Duh , i don't care who wanted to sit next to me .. i was busy saving the world !

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 19

Jesus damn...

It really is sad watching him progressively go back farther and farther with the mind leaps and change what was funny, light-hearted banter with Kurisu and others into...what it is now. The dude is legitimately an emotional wreck at this point. Experiencing Mayuri die over and over again has really frayed him significantly. At the beginning of this episode, he mind leaps back to his little spat about him eating Kurisu's pudding and he's just...the Okabe from the first half of this series isn't there anymore.

Speaking of emotional wrecks, his encounter with Moeka in this episode was...something else. First he goes back to learn she killed herself, followed by a call from Kurisu that Mayuri's dead (don't know how, but it was expected). Then he goes back further to see her, and she's just lost it. How can this FB person hold such power over her? How can a person she's never met or even talked to make her do these things, and make her go mad simply by not contacting her?

That's the last one for tonight.

Quasar

The World God Only Knows - Goddesses Arc 4 - Was OK. Though despite some big plot stuff happening I wasn't as entertained by this as I as the prior 3 episodes. Not sure why. Maybe Elsie being off screen is my problem.

Was amused by Keimas rage that this is all turning into a JRPG.

Hey, AnimeGAF!
I just wanted to stop by and give thanks to everyone that recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to me! I got my girlfriend to watch it with me, and she's up to End Of Evangelion!
So, I drew a pic of EVA-01 and I thought you guys would like it!
It's not done, but whatevs.

Thanks for the good recommendations! I'll be watching more anime as soon as we finish End Of Evangelion, so I'll be around more. :p

CorvoSol

Hey, AnimeGAF!
I just wanted to stop by and give thanks to everyone that recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to me! I got my girlfriend to watch it with me, and she's up to End Of Evangelion!
So, I drew a pic of EVA-01 and I thought you guys would like it!
It's not done, but whatevs.

Thanks for the good recommendations! I'll be watching more anime as soon as we finish End Of Evangelion, so I'll be around more. :p

My thoughts are why can't I draw that good?

HEY GUYS SO LOOK WHAT SOMEONE SAID IN THAT FINAL FANTASY THREAD IN THE GAMING SIDE:

Most anime can be defined as some kind of pandering (and I don't mean the kind of "oh this is sci-fi" pandering, I mean "oh this is dumb nationalism" or "good lord that woman is going to die from the weight of those"). Nearly all of it now. Seriously, nowhere other than anime have I seen such a gratuitous and unnecessary increase in the amount of pandering. Even in videogames, where it's certainly extant, I cannot say that it has increased so precipitously. Hard to take any of it seriously when the goal is way below the lowest common denominator.

Like I don't even.

BEFORE I FORGET MY DAD IS WATCHING SWORD ART ONLINE.
MY FATHER.
I don't know what to do. I just can't stop thinking about how funny it is.

CorvoSol

Why does it seem like all threads about Japanese games turn into arguments about whether anime has all gone to shit since the good old days?

I read in the Odyssey one time about how people had gone to shit since the good ol' days. Like that was Homer and like a couple thousand years before even the birth of Christ.

People've been saying thing's've gone to shit since like, forever.

You have an anime watching dad?

What kind of anime does he like?

All kinds, really. Dad's tastes are a lot more open ended than mine. I think he likes action series most, though. Is this the point where I say my dad has watched Chevalier D'Eon and Queen's Blade?

But yeah, when they were young and crazy mom and dad used to watch Project A-Ko all the time. So my parents have never been particularly down on my watching anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Noticed the Gifu Dodo!! OP was changed some to be a less anachronistic, I guess.

If DEEN took out the equalizer bars I'll never forgive them. That was the ONLY REDEEMING FEATURE about that awful clipshow OP precisely because of how lazily slapdash and anachronistic it was.

zeroshiki

Sure, I'm just amused that these threads ostensibly about games so often swing around to anime. I guess it's because they attract disgrunted former Japanophiles who want to complain about Japanese popular culture in general.

I haven't looked at the Final Fantasy thread but I can assure it has/will become bitching about how <FF they played when they were younger> was better and FF rankings. Its gotten tiresome for sure.

There's also a contingent who are very concerned about their own manliness and anime is an easy target to assert otherwise.

On the whole, I find it funny and kind of offensive how alot of people seem to think the backstreets of Akihabara (and/or Comiket) represent the entire country. 90% of the country doesn't give a shit about dakimakura or anime BDs.

So I am watching Free!.

Is it a cultural difference between the US and Japan, or did Japan deliberately make this anime to cater to male homosexuals and heterosexual females who like dude-on-dude?

I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom