• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was typing my username in the search bar to see who quoted me, but then I thought about leaving out the numbers since that's how people normally type it, and I come across this:

NnjiEZg.png

lQ82mAz.gif

DSFKDFNFKFBDSA FCSAF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! How did I miss this!!!??? Thank you based Felix!!! Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day! Must sleep now so night can go away!

Hey, AnimeGAF!
I just wanted to stop by and give thanks to everyone that recommended Neon Genesis Evangelion to me! I got my girlfriend to watch it with me, and she's up to End Of Evangelion!
So, I drew a pic of EVA-01 and I thought you guys would like it!
It's not done, but whatevs.

Thanks for the good recommendations! I'll be watching more anime as soon as we finish End Of Evangelion, so I'll be around more. :p

Remember 3.33 doesn't exist.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I was typing my username in the search bar to see who quoted me, but then I thought about leaving out the numbers since that's how people normally type it, and I come across this:

NnjiEZg.png

lQ82mAz.gif

DSFKDFNFKFBDSA FCSAF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! How did I miss this!!!??? Thank you based Felix!!! Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day! Must sleep now so night can go away!

AND HERE I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST IGNORING ME!!!

Brofist.
I don't know how many times i've completed golden sun. i do know that i've played the first game ( sound off ) during math and french classes ( i was bored ) and that i couldn't have managed one of my VERY REMOTE school on the country side if i hadn't golden sun 2 and a gba SP ..i can safely say that i know those games like the back of my hand.

--------------
Red data girl - 06

Argh things are happenning too fast , what was supposed to be a trip on a countryside quickly turned into a clash & power struggle but i learned something very important.

-Girls that lived recluse off society can get drunk on light liquor..
-Good girls , even drunk stay good girls.

Dully noted.
Golden Sun brings back so many good memories. Probably have beaten both half a dozen times.

cajunator

Banned
I envision Cajun turning into a magical girl.

Man it's weird how cult-like tankery sounds like in english when I just kind of glossed over it in Japanese

I am a magical girl!

I don't even know what to think....

...besides the fact that I'm glad this place is a heck of a lot better than the AnimeSuki Forums...

It is. but thats a low bar to clear..

Does this mean he hasn't seen The Second Raid yet and I can be excited for him?

Yes it does!

CorvoSol

Show him firehawk's ep 24 post.

You know I don't know. All I did was laugh and ask for his impressions. Dad said "After three months they all should be dead. Like, who can afford to pay for their life support?"

So we see that while my father and I have wildly different tastes, I take pride in knowing we ask the same exact questions about the show. I DID tell him he should skip everything between episode 14 and the end. He shrugged and said he wasn't sure if he'd even make it that far.

Either way, folks, I discussed the animus with my papa at the dinner table. Be jealous.

Full Metal Panic next! ;P

FMP -> Fummofu -> 2nd Raid

Oh I'd be so down for PaulExcellent watching FMP next.

A Pikmin anime would be great --as long as the Pikmin aren't CGI.

Just Olimar's space ship.

Yes it does!

Fasten your tail feathers CUZ I AM HYPED. Where's Peaceiscloser with some hype banners for me?

Mature

Kizu Fall 2013 news is eons old by now. Here's something newer, the fact that Bakemonogatari is going to get a pachinko machine just like everything else.
This reminds me. During Anime-Expo there was a booth that was selling a bunch of older stuff (making it easily more interesting than the booths around it). A few of the items they had were actually Pachinko machine toppers. They were surprisingly awesome as stand-alone items.

This one was my favorite:

Articalys

This reminds me. During Anime-Expo there was a booth that was selling a bunch of older stuff (making it easily more interesting than the booths around it). A few of the items they had were actually Pachinko machine toppers. They were surprisingly awesome as stand-alone items.

This one was my favorite:
Heh, that would be an cool conversation starter to have around the house. Maybe mount it above a doorway or something.

CorvoSol

I showed my mom Only Yesterday and she thought it was a kiddy film :\

My mother used to watch anime with my dad, but she's always been a bit less into it than him. Like watching project A-Ko was their thing when I was a kid, and she's got the mint Sailor Moon dolls or whatever on her desk.

She also beat Zelda and Final Fantasy on the NES before my little brother was born.

That said Animal Crossing is more her speed these days, and knitting while watching investigation discovery is more her thing now.

Oh, except like, Miyazaki films. Mom LOVES Miyazaki films. She watched Ponyo like four times (to actually see the whole thing, 'cuz she also fell asleep a bunch 'cuz she'd watch it when she was taking breaks.) But yeah, Mom really likes Ponyo and Spirited Away.

Cyrano

My mother used to watch anime with my dad, but she's always been a bit less into it than him. Like watching project A-Ko was their thing when I was a kid, and she's got the mint Sailor Moon dolls or whatever on her desk.

She also beat Zelda and Final Fantasy on the NES before my little brother was born.

That said Animal Crossing is more her speed these days, and knitting while watching investigation discovery is more her thing now.

Oh, except like, Miyazaki films. Mom LOVES Miyazaki films. She watched Ponyo like four times (to actually see the whole thing, 'cuz she also fell asleep a bunch 'cuz she'd watch it when she was taking breaks.) But yeah, Mom really likes Ponyo and Spirited Away.
Nausicaa and Mononoke is where it's at.

Cyrano

Pretty sure my parents went and saw Nausicaa in theaters. Makes me wonder just how much my dad was actually suffering when I dragged him to see the Pokemon movies years later.
My parents just made us go by ourselves. But man... god Pokemon movies take me back. Still, the dub of Nausicaa was really awful. Well, unless they saw it subbed. I'm on the fence about whether or not Mononoke is better with the American or Japanese VAs. Lady Eboshi is fanastically well handled by Driver.

All tangential, but whatevs.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Pokemon movie with Entei and Unown is still the only anime movie I've ever seen in theaters. feels bad

If Meguca Rebellion comes to Columbus like the first two did, my sister can call the FBI on me for all I care. I'll still go.

Speaking of blending the real with the fantastical, I just love the way Takahata does it. The scene below the trees in the first episode of the series, or the orchestra playing mid-air, blending with the storm in Gauche the Cellist, or the ending of Only Yesterday- just perfect visualizations of concepts. And for these cases it's certainly easier to do it in animation!

Indeed, Takahata is a master of fantastical realism. It's instructive to compare him with another excellent director who explored the intersection of the real and unreal, Satoshi Kon. Whereas Kon likes to blur the boundaries between them until it becomes difficult to impossible to distinguish between them and emphasizes the allure of fantasy as escapism, Takahata builds the imaginative flights of fancy out from real events as a way of heightening their emotional impact. Kon seems to be yearning to break out of the constraints of reality - Paprika exhibits this most clearly - whereas Takahata views this existing world through a lens of wonder. In this sense, you could say Takahata is a particularly healthy director.

I haven't quite reached the later years of the narrative, but I have heard many praises about this aspect, calling it Kondo's masterwork. He was such an amazingly talented artist.

Kondo's masterwork will always be Whisper of the Heart. But yes, he did a good job on the Anne of Green Gables designs.

I think there is a solid idea of what it's supposed to convey but the draftsmanship betrays it; perhaps it just seems dated to me, as I can't viscerally get that feeling.

The show as a whole is dated without being outdated. It's got an antique charm to it, which works with the kind of story and setting it has. It reminds me of my grandmother's house somehow.

You always make thoughtful responses to these, I appreciate it!

Certainly. I like to think, and I like to talk with other people who like to think.

CorvoSol

The Pokemon movie with Entei and Unown is still the only anime movie I've ever seen in theaters. feels bad

If Meguca Rebellion comes to Columbus like the first two did, my sister can call the FBI on me for all I care. I'll still go.

Did you not see the first two? The second one is kinda meh, but the first one was rad. I mean seeing Mewtwo up there blowing up places and Charizard vs Charizard and then Mewtwo vs Mew and then BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHA MY BROOOOOOOOOOOOTHA and then "Pokemon aren't meant to fight! Er, well, at least not like this anyway." And then the PIKA TEARS and the retcon ending!

Oh and don't forget that Pikachu cheats at the beginning of the movie and defeats a Ground type Pokemon with an electric attack.

Mega Man Sins 17

So okay so like Zero fights Leviathan and kicks her gorgeous ass and then Omega interrupts and also there are robot babies and they give the Crystal of Plot Advancement to Alouette and Dr. Cain decides to stay in Dr. Light's lab to like do something and then Zero and Ciel and Alouette and Rush resume their quest to find X. Meanwhile we get to see flashbacks of a pregnant Leviathan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did you not see the first two? The second one is kinda meh, but the first one was rad. I mean seeing Mewtwo up there blowing up places and Charizard vs Charizard and then Mewtwo vs Mew and then BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHA MY BROOOOOOOOOOOOTHA and then "Pokemon aren't meant to fight! Er, well, at least not like this anyway." And then the PIKA TEARS and the retcon ending!

Oh and don't forget that Pikachu cheats at the beginning of the movie and defeats a Ground type Pokemon with an electric attack.

I was still in my "convincing the parents that Pokemon isn't from the Devil" stage when those were out in theaters. It's unfortunate because the first movie is indeed pretty bitchin', even today as an adult.

zeroshiki

But they still can't matchup to the short-term buying power of the wota! ;P

Are you talking about AKB wota? (I've only ever seen english speaking fans use the term "wota" for idols)

While true, have you seen how crazy Johnny's fans are? AKB has to scrape and work for each and every fan they get with TV shows, handshake events, picture events and whatever. Johnny's need to just show up in magazines and the fans come out of the woodwork. The male fans are more nuts but their attention span is limited. The female fans are more dedicated and stick with something to the bitter end.

CorvoSol

I was still in my "convincing the parents that Pokemon isn't from the Devil" stage when those were out in theaters. It's unfortunate because the first movie is indeed pretty bitchin', even today as an adult.

Man, I can't even imagine what that must have been like. I mean, I basically grew up with Pokemon in the house. Had me Red version and a GBC as one of the earliest Christmas presents I remember.

Part of me still desperately desires that Charizard card.

Also the only thing like, my mother ever forbade was Ouija. She's never once let one of those things into the house, 'cuz they creep her out. Considering all things, I feel that wasn't that big of a loss.

I remember listening to a radio program that claimed Pokemon was a gateway drug for Wizards of the Coast. You'd go

Pokemon -> Magic the Gathering -> Dungeons and Dragons -> Satanism!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, I can't even imagine what that must have been like. I mean, I basically grew up with Pokemon in the house. Had me Red version and a GBC as one of the earliest Christmas presents I remember.

Part of me still desperately desires that Charizard card.

Also the only thing like, my mother ever forbade was Ouija. She's never once let one of those things into the house, 'cuz they creep her out. Considering all things, I feel that wasn't that big of a loss.

I was still into Pokemon from like 1998 onward and watched the first airing of the anime at 6:30 AM on KidsWB, owned and played RBY, bought the TCG from the time it first came out here, etc. For whatever reason my parents simply disapproved instead of strictly forbidding it (like, they only briefly genuinely thought it was satanic, but were in the "Japanimation corrupts kids with bad morals" camp for a long while after that), and it took a long time to get them okay with it to the point that they'd actively enable my hobby e.g. drive me to TCG league matches, take me to movie, etc.

You seriously never got a Charizard? I remember jumping up and down screaming in Kay Bee Toys when I finally pulled one. Best moment of any young Pokemon fan's life.

I remember listening to a radio program that claimed Pokemon was a gateway drug for Wizards of the Coast. You'd go

Man those were the days, East Point Mall (or was it East Square?) adventures grabbing dem booster packs on top of POKEMON IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY activists.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Nintendo clearly should have licensed the TCG to an upstanding card company like Topps or Fleer instead.

Pokemon -> Baseball -> well-adjusted adult and upstanding patriotic citizen

CorvoSol

I was still into Pokemon from like 1998 onward and watched the first airing of the anime at 6:30 AM on KidsWB, owned and played RBY, bought the TCG from the time it first came out here, etc. For whatever reason my parents simply disapproved instead of strictly forbidding it (like, they only briefly genuinely thought it was satanic, but were in the "Japanimation corrupts kids with bad morals" camp for a long while after that), and it took a long time to get them okay with it to the point that they'd actively enable my hobby e.g. drive me to TCG league matches, take me to movie, etc.

You seriously never got a Charizard? I remember jumping up and down screaming in Kay Bee Toys when I finally pulled one. Best moment of any young Pokemon fan's life.

Yeah, I've never even held one, I think, and 20 bucks is too much to justify a trading card. But I want one. I'll always want one. That Charizard card is like the Holy Grail of my childhood.

Narag

Shit's so complicated now. Back in my day, it was straight to D&D. Satanism was just implied if you were already playing!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are you talking about AKB wota? (I've only ever seen english speaking fans use the term "wota" for idols)

While true, have you seen how crazy Johnny's fans are? AKB has to scrape and work for each and every fan they get with TV shows, handshake events, picture events and whatever. Johnny's need to just show up in magazines and the fans come out of the woodwork. The male fans are more nuts but their attention span is limited. The female fans are more dedicated and stick with something to the bitter end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wotagei

Also, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku:

In recent years some "idol otaku" have been naming themselves simply as Wota (ヲタ) as a way to differentiate from traditional otaku. The word was derived by dropping the last mora, leaving ota (オタ) and then replacing o (オ) with the identically sounding character wo (ヲ), leaving the pronunciation unchanged.

What I meant was that, on a sales per individual basis, the wota are likely higher. But yeah, longer term Johnny's has the edge.

I haven't really followed idol stuff too much since the Morning Musume golden age as they started to cater more to the hardcore idol crowd instead of the mainstream.

yami4ct

Well, Pokemon is a gateway drug to MTG for sure. At least, the TCG is. Of the people I played with growing up, most either dropped playing TCGs altogether or they move on to MTG. A few kept playing Pokemon or moved to some other TCG, but MTG was definitely where most of the people who stuck with card games ended up.

I've never seen someone go from MTG to D&D, though.

Well, Pokemon is a gateway drug to MTG for sure. At least, the TCG is. Of the people I played with growing up, most either dropped playing TCGs altogether or they move on to MTG. A few kept playing Pokemon or moved to some other TCG, but MTG was definitely where most of the people who stuck with card games ended up.

I've never seen someone go from MTG to D&D, though.

I would fall inline with the first option. Although I have desires of playing one of those TCGs again (mainly MTG) I rather just do it in video game format.... And we haven't gotten one of those on Vita :l. I'd pay for a Pokemon TCG again for 3DS dammit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Since we're on the subject, this was my actual TCG path:

Pokemon -> Yu-Gi-Oh -> nothing because I graduated high school and couldn't find anyone in college to play with. fuck

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I saw a stand for trading card games at the Hyper Japan show and wondered what the point on it all was. Why have so many versions of what is basically the same game? Great, you bought a pack of Madoka cards (or God forbid SAO cards), good luck finding anyone with the same game to play with.

Shergal

Kondo's masterwork will always be Whisper of the Heart. But yes, he did a good job on the Anne of Green Gables designs.
I'm one who generally prefers the animators to the directors- but Whisper of the Heart is a really great film. Perhaps not as much pure Kondo as his work on Anne (If I'm not wrong, he was the sakkan for all 50 episodes!), but I can't fault your assertion.

The show as a whole is dated without being outdated. It's got an antique charm to it, which works with the kind of story and setting it has. It reminds me of my grandmother's house somehow.
This is how I feel on the whole, yes. Even the life customs and mannerisms evoke this kind of period feel, and it's a really interesting part of the show considering these are all Japanese artists portraying life in a different continent in such a detailed manner. Speaking of this, how much of Argentina appears in the Marco anime? That might be the test of fire from me, haha.

Certainly. I like to think, and I like to talk with other people who like to think.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom