• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

I always thought The Great Teacher Onizuka had a pretty great English dub, though I don't think many have seen or even remember this show. I have the DVD and I remember preferring the English over the Japanese voices.

People don't know GTO?
It's probably one of the most famous shonen manga/anime.

Tenumi

Banned
What are some of the better English dubs, I thought the Ouran, School Rumble and Steins;Gate dubs were great. The English dub for Hajime no Ippo and Haganai English trailer were unbearable compared to the original voices.

Haganai is one I'm actually gonna have to agree with. Kodaka's voice is way too high pitched, and Yozora is too deep and bored-sounding.

Dubs that I really liked would include Lucky Star, Deadman Wonderland, Cowboy Bebop, Cromartie High, Eureka 7. Of course, YMMV.

Dammit!

You lot hype the ones that doesn't look attractive to me. Why can't I be part of the elite?

I know that feeling. I will generally never get hyped for a Kyoani, Hosoda, Shinkai, Ghibli, etc work. Staff hype is pretty much limited to Imaishi for me. Everything else is adaptations or stuff that looks/sounds cool.

The World God Only Knows S2 - END

So this season was almost identical to the 1st season where most of the time was spent capturing different heroines. I'm actually not mad about this and actually like it, like the saying goes "if it's not broken don't fix it." Keima still remains
without change mostly which is actually another thing I like. I think he's the only MC that I've seen in anime that doesn't change his ideals or way of life or anything because of something that happened.
I have to say that is quite a feat in its self.

So I guess once again just like season 1 the last episode
didn't need to be watched because it's just Keima playing with his mind again.

This season did help me overcome one of my cons with the show. I always hated that each capture that Keima did would
not appear again. I think this was the first time that a past capture appeared and was part of the story. She didn't do anything huge but just tell Keima that he needs to help her friend, but still it's something.
Also I guess the introduction of a new
soul reaper
was good too, it added some much needed side story to the show. While she isn't as good as
Elsie it's always nice to add an extra character to add story to the show.

So overall it was a pretty neat season and had some pretty interesting captures
I give it
4 Chibi Elsie's/5

Now I just have to watch the Tenhri-hen special and I'll be all caught up.

Yeah it pretty much was just like a continuation of S1 with the addition of Haqua as the only expansion of the world.

But it's cool, that season gave us Jun and she was seriously best girl of forever

Kurita

You don't see? Its difficult to ignore it when compared to their earlier records. At this point their name carries some sort of significance which they can ride on

I guess the word "pop" sounds weird, I dunno if it's really the right word to describe them...

Nafe

No Hyouka licensing makes Branduil something something.

I think it was this past weekend a year ago was the episode that concluded the film arc. A year ago this upcoming weekend then was the episode that started the festival arc. I think that was also the same weekend where they had the stream of episode 11.5. I remember being excited for it and tuned in to watch it in all it's glorious GameBoy quality, haha. I actually missed the first couple of minutes and had to see those later though.

I'd like to own Hyouka but I don't want to pay the wallet nuking Japanese prices.

arlQJUZ.png

faridmon

Given how their sound began, it'd be hard not to get poppier.

Personally, I like when there's a heavy dash of pop in my prog-rock, so I was kind of disappointed when I bought an earlier Ling Tosite Sigure album expecting a sound a bit closer to Abnormalize.

That is perfectly understandable. Its all about expectation and once you get used to sound of a band, its difficult to get used to another by them. I have followed them for quite some time and my expectation varies from you. After all, I got into BIGMAMA recently and could not go back to thier Punky sound of old.

Ling Toise did specify that their sound was supposed to be very experimental, progressive pop as their carrier progressed. Its sort of disappointing how they resorted to a ''safer'' pop feel to their music even though they were quite successful with their own sound.

faridmon

I know that feeling. I will generally never get hyped for a Kyoani, Hosoda, Shinkai, Ghibli, etc work. Staff hype is pretty much limited to Imaishi for me. Everything else is adaptations or stuff that looks/sounds cool.

Bro Fist

Although I do enjoy Ghibli movies on a casual screening.

Hey Nafe, you didn't wish America a Happy Birthday.

Are we supposed to?

They ditched me on 17th of May, I am returning the favour.

I think it was this past weekend a year ago was the episode that concluded the film arc. A year ago this upcoming weekend then was the episode that started the festival arc. I think that was also the same weekend where they had the stream of episode 11.5. I remember being excited for it and tuned in to watch it in all it's glorious GameBoy quality, haha. I actually missed the first couple of minutes and had to see those later though.

I'd like to own Hyouka but I don't want to pay the wallet nuking Japanese prices.

AFAIK, Madman is planning an Australian release, for region B folk.

Defuser

MJP ep 13

OP is terrible, new member sucks and terrible filler of watching 6 units launched off into space for 5 mins.

Izuru x Kei OTP.

I remember that show!

haven't actually seen it though

I think it was my first subbed anime I've actually sat down and watched on the internet. I remember always being strayed away because of the OP of the anime because it made no sense and looked kinda stupid. Eventually I took the dive because it was known as the best comedy in anime at the time. I don't regret it one bit either, funniest thing I've ever watched.

People don't know GTO?
It's probably one of the most famous shonen manga/anime.

It hasn't been mentioned in such a long time I had forgotten it was popular. Actually if I remember correctly it even has a live action adaptation or something. I might have to check it out, well if it's still funny and entertaining that is.

Kurita

It hasn't been mentioned in such a long time I had forgotten it was popular. Actually if I remember correctly it even has a live action adaptation or something. I might have to check it out, well if it's still funny and entertaining that is.

Actually it got 2 dramas adaptations, one in 1998 and the new one in 2012.
Only watched the 2012 one and it's actually pretty entertaining.
And the final episode of the 1998 drama is the most watched television program ever in Japan.

Toriko Episode 108 The Legendary Ingredient, "CENTER"! Ichiryu and the Strongest Biotope, 0!

Is the Toriko series ending soon?
The mobilization to get ready to go to the Gourmet World and get all the ingrediants and GOD made it feel as if were going to the final arc, after this four beasts or whatever is, and I guess the cooking fest?
Was hoping it would last a bit longer.

Favorite of the Biotope 0, Malisman and Sakura

Stella started with an Anne of Green Gables reference and it looks there will be some kind of tournament with country themed enemies.

Sold! Gainax is back!

faridmon

Chihayafuru Ep25 Final

Another phenomenal Episode that was little hampered by the slow and repetitive nature of Chihaya's thoughts and monologues. The fact that they bring her focus on her weakness is another plus. Also, the comedic scene about her strained hand was well done and complimented the general atmosphere rather well. The Visuals and the Music remains to be fantastic, especially the scenes where she is talking on the phone with Arata. Not to mention hos they set up the (hopefully) next series which could bring another layer of relationship issues (if there is any). The development of Chihaya and Taichi in this season episode have been fantastic and can't wait how they develop further. I am very sad that this have ended, but all good thing have to come to end. 8/10

Shingeki no Kjojin Ep.13

I have to say this have been the best Episode since the days of training at campus. There have been development. Yes, actual development where the movie actually went somewhere. The writing was minimal and stuff happened. The mid resolution was nice and the result of such fantastic work could be seen on peoples faces which was quite happy to some degree. However, its not an episode without its fault. The writing still remained awful and repetitive (We get it, you are sacred. SHUT THE HELL UP) and the way they still mourn remains to be pathetic and laughable. The pace was also off. They way they finished the episode was, whilst exciting, poorly planned and the art style dips very often here and there. The fact that I liked this episode so much should tell you how poor this Anime is, but it looks like there could be decent outcomes in the near future. 6/10

Hatarakou Maou-Sama Ep.13 Final
Another Show that I happened to like and happen to end this week which saddens me. This have been the surprise of the year and have remained constantly intriguing despite using tropes and clichés... and bend them to their own will. Honestly, this could be seen as a creative parody show that doesn't take itself seriously but serious enough to have a story attached to it. This week's episode exemplifies why. The moment you realise that Maou-Sama is in debt from a scam is the moment you just laugh of hos stupid that sound and at the same time applaud their audacity to do so. It was also great to see Ishiahara getting more screen time, but the best moment was Maou and his underlings interaction about the goods. Also DAT face when the truck was carrying back the goods. The end scene was the best that could happen to the series and the way it was delivered was just fantastic. 9/10

OreImo Ep. 13 Final
;p
Honestly, this is the best Episode the series have ever had and one of the best episodes this year. Fantastic just bloody fantastic. The whole back-story was done brilliantly and it resulted in one thing that most Anime can't even fathom of doing; Explain why things is as they are. Holy Shit! Everything makes perfect sense and the way Kirino developed to such character was an eye opener. The reason why this Anime started as it is and ended as it just became understandable. The way it was portrayed was cleverly appropriate and didn't had any cheese or cringe worthy situations to it at all. The animation was also very colourful albeit I have to say the detail of the artwork have taken a dip. Also, turning from a shitty character to an amazing character was mind blowing. Those few words were... surprisingly sensible. Why wasn't every other episode as good? 10/10

Hunter X Hunter Ep 86
Another great Episode. The training regime was quite refreshing and somehow nostalgic to previous episodes. Its nice to see Biskuit again as I think she is one of the best character in the series and the way she handles Gon is funny as well entertaining. However the real deal here is Palm. Her scary façade was really intriguing to see, but the more interesting about her charter was how she was an innocent girl behind that, a shy and anti social person. Her whole speech about the person she had a crush on was really amusing and the steps she goes to reach him (Dat murder intent) was quite cool. The villains Gon are going against were amusing as well. All in all, the build up to the real fight before the chimera fight could provide a real development to Gon and Killua as character. [7/10]

/XX/

Now look at that handsome devil Mr. Yamaga being one of the first people to enjoy Dom Pérignon Vintage 2004:

Dom Pérignon : The Power of Creation - Japan - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2wSJGxZ9ZQ

GAiNAX will play a part in a collaboration with that brand (along artist illustrator Akira Yamaguchi) of which many details haven't been presented yet, but that probably involves animation work from the studio (no?):

Second picture of DOM PERIGNON Triple Collaboration with Akira Yamaguchi and GAINAX | FASHION HEADLINE
http://en.fashion-headline.com/article/img/2013/05/31/1019/8828.html

/XX/ in his benevolent nature of encouraging the dispirited is probably going to come in here with a quote that he found buried deep in the French internet on Catsuka or wherever that will supposedly provide some little glimmer of hope, but it's not going to be okay. It's never going to be okay :(
I... well, sorry... I got nothing. People involved on it like Thomas Astruc, who very well received all the fans support at the beginning (http://my.opera.com/2to/albums/show.dml?id=13153832), seem to have disappeared from the face of the Internet for nearly half a year. Even then, I'd say that we can still have hope based on what little to cling to we still have.

And for 'franco-japonais' animation in general, there are actually a lot of other projects to also look forward to; among all the Yapiko-Animation ones there is Astérion for which we can even help them to achieve needed financing and ensure it doesn't happens the same story:

ASTERION - Ulule
http://fr.ulule.com/asterion-sf/

I suppose Iron Vendetta, if it goes past beyond episode 0, could also somewhat count as French production even if the staff is practically all Japanese.

That's French.
Not even those who actually use post titles READ the post titles. :p

Ojamajo Doremi # - 13

Which would you choose: a huge steak or a fa...
STEAK!!
Let me finish the ques...
STEAK!!
Shinzou is gonna be a harem mc 10 years from now,
with all these proposals

Majestic Prince 13
I think this is finally the point where I turn on this show. What an awful episode, that new pilot in particular is the sort of obnoxious character that ruins everything around him.

I'm pretty surprised, the airsoft anime was way better than I thought it would be.
Nice airsoft battle animations and a glorious Jazz OST. I hope the next episodes will stay airsoft focused.

bonus points for the Anne and Rambo reference.

cnet128

Banned
I wonder why they've gone with that ridiculous name instead of "Golden Mosaic", which would actually be the title if translated...

Yeah, usually I don't mind these Japanese-style abbreviations becoming the general-use English title, but this one seems particularly egregious for some reason.

I guess it's a combination of the fact that
a) it looks stupid
b) it actually obscures the legitimate English word in the title by using a "z" instead of an "s" (for bonus points, the official Japanese website URL spells it "kinmosa")
c) the original title is plenty short and sweet enough to be effective and recognisable in the original Japanese or in a literal English translation, and
d) IT LOOKS FUCKING STUPID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom