• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
NeoGAINAX's C3-Bu's opening

Look at all dat fucking boring.

LA8bel7.png
Hitokage's bishoujo army?

e_i

Crunchyroll and licensed Kir'iro Mosiac. Like Yuyushiki? Then watch this. It's from the same studio as A-Channel and Saki Episode of Side A.

/XX/

I like it more than the other OPs I've seen so far this season. It has a pleasant song.

Ah, the song is by kz. That would explain it.
And kz from livetune also worked on the song featured in the promotional video for the Stella Jogakuin's graphical novel time ago:

特例措置団体ステラ女学院中等科C3部スペシャルムービー - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pxF5pFnrY

Jex

Brothers Conflict 1:

This is insipid garbage of the lowest order and the few crumbs of Pablo goodness scattered here and there are far from enough to make it a tolerable experience. As if the premise wasn't bottom-of-the-barrel shoujo enough, the shamelessness with which the brothers--a dozen nearly-identical iterations of the same stock smooth-talking, sensitive bishounen--clamour to be the first to jam their dick into their innocent and trusting adoptive sibling is utterly grotesque. There is no enjoyment to be had here unless you are a fujoshi with numerous clothing fetishes and a love for simplistic reverse harem personality tropes.

So you're telling me it's going to find an audience?

Jex

Tamayura: MORE AGGRESSIVE

[...]

This will probably end up being my unconditional show of the season. Few people will watch it, but those who do will walk away with the warm fuzzies.
So, how, exactly, is it 'more aggressive'? Yandre characters?

Nafe

Hey Nafe, you didn't wish America a Happy Birthday.

Why didn't you bring this up for all the other countries I missed these past six months? Those poor countries. :(
Canada had a birthday just a few days ago and there was nothing.

Honestly though, part of it is because I'm not American so I don't really celebrate July 4th and the other is I intended it more for AnimeGaf members who's birthdays I was aware of.

AFAIK, Madman is planning an Australian release, for region B folk.

OK. I still have to get a Bluray player actually, haha. I think I'd need a region free one for that.

Hitokage's bishoujo army?

Ok, I laughed. haha.

Jex

Just telling it like it is, brother. Haru and Rin share an unbreakable bond that will just result in them making sweet passionate love after the season's end. The others are straight.

Your true words will be too much for some but I seem them as nought but gospel truth.

Jex

One of Google's new features is a little odd:

googleingstsbe.png

I fear this can only lead people down dark paths.

cajunator

Banned
...I think I'm gonna need to borrow Golden Boy from one of my friends before they go to Japan.

...But my backlog screams at me already...

Yes, you need to see this ASAP.

But...I STILL havent seen the others ;_;
Well ok technically, I have seen them but you know what I mean!

Coppelion official website is up (in English!) with a key visual and character designs. Angela (BOKU JA NAI) is singing the OP and ED songs.

This seems more interesting now that I have visuals to go with it.
Still not sure what its about but I like the designs.

What are some of the better English dubs, I thought the Ouran, School Rumble and Steins;Gate dubs were great. The English dub for Hajime no Ippo and Haganai English trailer were unbearable compared to the original voices.

Princess Tutu! Because Luci Christian is a sweet angel.

Syrinx

In honor of America Day and for the new Sailor Moon info, I propose we change the name of this country from America to "Amirica".

Jex

Free! 01:

[...]

Surprise, surprise; the yellow-haired one is genki and the red-haired one is aggressive.
While I agree this is rather trite and cliche it is kind of a recognisable staple of anime and as such it doesn't really bother me. Also Rin's dudes hair is purple, not red!

Jex

So Aku no Hana has whetted my appetite for dark, atmospheric anime. I have an idea of what I'd like to watch in that regard, but I thought I'd put out a general call to see if there's anything I would have overlooked. So, AnimeGAF, what are your favorite dark, moody anime?

Vampire Princess Miyu TV, Requiem from the Darkness, Alien Nine, Boogiepop Phantom. There's a variety of moody as heck 90's Madhouse productions but I can't say I really like many of them.

Jarmel

Banned

googleingstsbe.png

At first I was wondering what you were talking about as the only really bad one near the left was Destiny. However the more I went to the right, the more my expression went from
meh to oh shit my eyes are burning.

Jex

So, er, what happened to Sump? Did he survive the Eden of the East movies? Is he willing to take on another project after completing that one? Will he ever trust again?

cajunator

Banned
Haganai is one I'm actually gonna have to agree with. Kodaka's voice is way too high pitched, and Yozora is too deep and bored-sounding.

Dubs that I really liked would include Lucky Star, Deadman Wonderland, Cowboy Bebop, Cromartie High, Eureka 7. Of course, YMMV.

Also, DESERT PUNK. Holy shit Desert Punk has one of the funniest dubs in all of anime. Watch the Desert Punk dub!!!!

I think it was this past weekend a year ago was the episode that concluded the film arc. A year ago this upcoming weekend then was the episode that started the festival arc. I think that was also the same weekend where they had the stream of episode 11.5. I remember being excited for it and tuned in to watch it in all it's glorious GameBoy quality, haha. I actually missed the first couple of minutes and had to see those later though.

I'd like to own Hyouka but I don't want to pay the wallet nuking Japanese prices.

arlQJUZ.png

Nafey-kins, what is it about Irisu that makes you such a fan of her? I like misaki of course because shes nuts and her hair is the most adorable thing Ive ever seen but what stands out to you about Irisu?

NeoGAINAX's C3-Bu's opening

Look at all dat fucking boring.

It sounds like a good OP and visually its very cute. I can see myself enjoying this a lot.

cajunator

Banned
I know it's sad that you can't go "cum over my face, master Anno!" mode with a Gainax show anymore.
But first the most Gainax openings suck and there is nothing wrong with this opening.

I like a lot of Gainax openings but well, you guys know I like a lot of things. Im not very picky.

Crunchyroll and licensed Kir'iro Mosiac. Like Yuyushiki? Then watch this. It's from the same studio as A-Channel and Saki Episode of Side A.

Thanks for the recommendation. If its close to Yuyushiki Ill probably love it!

googleingstsbe.png

I never noticed this but thanks for the heads up.

So, er, what happened to Sump? Did he survive the Eden of the East movies? Is he willing to take on another project after completing that one? Will he ever trust again?

I imagine he got disgusted with us and used his admin powers so the thread doesn't even show up for him, as it's the only thing that would prevent him from banning us all.

Theonik

Aim for the Ace!
iWy3FmczaS5XU.png

In case you forgot Madhouse was involved in this
Abundant animation errors, tons of re-used animation. (some creative, some less) I remember complaining about the first episode of Lupin III looking stiff, but this is even worse for it. Despite that I still thoroughly enjoyed looking at this show, mostly for the Dezaki flare, which while not as evolved as in say Rose of the Versailles or Oniisama e, was still quite prominent.
Finally seeing this has also lead to new appreciation for Gunbuster too I must say, even with the hard work and guts theme. The music was pretty ace too I think even though it mostly consisted of the OP and ED re-arranged to fit the mood, which was done very effectively. It also helps that I love the OP/ED to bits.
As I mentioned before the direction was probably the strongest point of the show with some odd exceptions aside around episode 24 or so.
To close this off here are some titbits for SDBurton. Also some girls getting hit with balls (running theme in this show) and the new alias for :kayos.
Edit: Minus album

Kino's Journey 11

This episode's themes actually drew parallels with a lot of stuff from Kino's previous encounters.
The way the people in the wise man's country sought to remove one's consciousness so that they may be upstanding citizens is eerily similar to Kino's home country which essentially lobotomized adults and brainwashed them into joining the workforce. It's as if humanity has this drive to eliminate negative facets of themselves. We see in the killer who seeks atonement, or these countries investing in the science and medical fields. People purged of these negative facets are revered, like the old man who was deemed "wise," when in actuality he suffered from apathy. He and his caretaker are similar to the mechanical dolls; devoid of emotions and longing for purpose. It's this, coupled with a sense of personal agency which exemplifies humanity here, with Kino asserting that her journey is a conscious one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom