• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rebirth of Buddha

It wasn't bad at all, I don't think it would be crazy to call it a good movie. I'm not an expert on the quality of animation, but I thought this one was pretty good. The plot wasn't as batshit crazy as the previous ones I've seen (with a couple exceptions.)
Takehito Koyasu voicing Sorano/Buddha was just perfect in my opinion, the man just oozes class.
The cameos of certain characters featured in the other movies were a very nice touch. I'm definitely enjoying these Happy Science films more than I expected. Off to the next one!
Aw, you missed the opportunity to watch the dub, which definitely adds to the experience. Then again, so does what you mentioned.

Kurita

It's a shame that so many people don't know how good Shin Chan is.
Maybe I'll watch the anime once I'm done with the manga.

Servant X Service 1

ib3ACUd2XwgPc.jpg

Pretty good first episode. The comedy is more or less similar to Working!!, which isn't a surprise at all since it's by the same mangaka and the characters are adorable and likable. Especially BoobyLucy. There were a few jokes in the first half that were somewhat ruined because the characters needed to explain them, but it got better in the second half. Really looking forward to the rest of the show.

jbug617

Banned
Servant X Service 1

For a first episode it was okay. I don't think it hooked me like Working did but the show has potential.
Very good last couple of minutes between Yamagami and Hasbe
. Hasbe has the potential to steal the show from Yamagami.

It's also hard not compare them to the characters of Working

Yamagami= Sota
Hasbe= Soma
Miyoshi= Yachiyo

I was always quite fond of the fox and wolf associated anime characters myself. I blame Kanokon, Spice and Wolf, and Inukami for this :(

You watched that?

Could not get past the first few minutes because of the MC looking like an elementary schooler.

Rozen Maiden ED

Annabel putting in good work.

Song is good.

But it doesn't have any dancing men.

Cuteness overload!

But when they grow up, those claws will come out.

And they will hurt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KKK
wIigiiDl.jpg

So I take it that the series will just be Natsuki, the normal girl, (over)reacting to the antics of the other club members. So GJ-bu but with a female protagonist.... or Manzai with one straight man and four idiots. Sure, why not?
It's just too bad the characters look so ugly. :p

I will say, two jokes did get a chuckle out of me. The second time they did the
early ED joke
and the
extra frames of animation
joke. The timing on those ones really worked.

LFrkcRcl.jpg

Also, 3d!

---

Servant x Service
VIHtDg8l.jpg

Innocently bland and inoffensive workplace sitcom. I guess I should ask about the premise though... In Japan, you're not allowed to
change your name
?

cnet128

Banned
Danganronpa 1

Ohhhhhhhh man. I'm really torn on this one.

They basically nailed the presentation. It's incredibly faithful to the game. They even included a lot of the character poses from the game wholesale. There's a certain "lack of animation" at times that hints at perhaps quite low production values, but it just makes the whole thing feel more true to the game's style, since, as a visual novel-type experience, the game of course relied on sprites with a limited amount of animation. Where the game really excelled, though, was in making sure that those limited frames looked incredibly stylish, and backing them up with gorgeous transition effects and a dynamic, stylish interface. The anime does a great job of reproducing that feeling, borrowing various interface elements and key animated moments from the game and integrating them slickly into the visual experience. It works really well. The music, too, is taken straight from the game and used appropriately. It was great music in the game, and it's great music here too.

So the reason why I'm feeling torn? In a word, the pacing, particularly of the all-important introductory scenes that set up the premise. It's all so fast. Outrageously so. No time is left for anything to sink in. Key establishing shots which have text that the viewer needs to be able to read and digest stay on screen for about one second, if that. This includes the letter that Naegi receives that explains why he's been invited to join the academy, and all of the stylish character profile screens that give the key information on what each of Naegi's new classmates' special talents are.

The character introductions themselves are reduced to one line for each character, and fired at the viewer at such a rapid machine-gun pace that I'd be surprised if it was possible for a viewer going in fresh to remember even one character and their talent, let alone all of them. I appreciate that even in the game, these initial character introductions were each fairly short and a lot to take in at once. The player couldn't have been expected to remember everything that was presented there immediately, and of course there's ample time ahead to get to know the characters better as the game/show continues. But they were still proper introductions, and fulfilled their job of giving the player a thorough overview of the cast of characters, providing some key interesting background information about a few of them, and some interesting things to speculate about. In the anime, there's really no time to take anything away from this scene, and some relevant pieces of information are left out entirely.

Basically, as someone who's played the game and already knows what's going on, I feel like this is a pretty cool experience, seeing the same events play out in the same style, but this time fully-voiced and with more animation to go around. But at the same time, I really worry if people who haven't played the game are going to be able to keep track of anything when the show gives them no time and less context to do so.

I also feel like it's hard to recommend the anime because its positive points are almost all things that the game itself also covers really well, so anyone who feels like watching it could get the same pros with none of the cons by just playing the original game instead. The anime's biggest assets are its visual style, characters and music, all of which are ripped from the game wholesale. I say that it's cool to see everything fully-voiced, but honestly, I never felt like the voice-acting quantity in the game was at all lacking. A large proportion of the game is also fully-voiced, after all. And I say that it's cool to see everything with more animation, but the presentation of the game is basically flawless and one of its greatest assets, so I couldn't possibly recommend anyone watch this over the game for presentation reasons.

Basically, after this first episode, I guess what I'd say to anyone thinking of watching it is this: be aware that you're probably better off just playing the game. If you still want to watch the anime instead for whatever reason, then go ahead, it will probably still be a great experience. But be prepared to keep hitting the pause button, at least at the beginning, so that you can actually take in what's happening.

Articalys

Oh wow -- NISA licenses Genshiken Nidaime. No additional information.

As everyone figured out, they also have Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home, but it's nice to hear it officially.

Also Brave 10 is finally seeing a release.

jbug617

Banned
Oh wow -- NISA licenses Genshiken Nidaime. No additional information.

As everyone figured out, they also have Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home, but it's nice to hear it officially.

NISA starting to snatch up licenses for shows before they air. I thought they usually wait till after the show is done to announce.

I watched the first episode raw. It's got style out the wazoo and pretty sharp visual direction. The two flaws I can see in it are probably due to being a part of the Rozen Maiden franchise: one of the doll's voice and personality were annoying, and the plot seems convoluted. But I liked it. Some good atmosphere.

Are you familiar with the franchise at all? Is this something that's newcomer-friendly? Is Hina still annoying?

cnet128

Banned
Obviously I didn't keep certain breeds in mind but this:
While arousing, is not very fuwafuwa at all.

Fuwafuwa kimochi etc.

It's not all about the quantity of fur or movement, it's about the quality. That dog tail looks fluffy, sure, but in a way that's rough, all over the place, and generally bleh. The cat tail by contrast looks silky smooth, soft and delicious. Just the thought of running my fingers through that fur is mesmerising.

Similarly, the dog tail is energetic and stuff, but it's just making boring side-to-side wagging movements. Sure that could be considered cute or erotic, but to no greater or lesser an extent than could be achieved by just waggling the goddamn butt with no tail involved. The cat tail, on the other hand, has a beauty of movement all its own. No contest.

cajunator

Banned
This is true. Cat Girls are almost always more whiny and annoying. And Dog girl technically includes Horo, so that's an auto-win.

Not true! Although horo gives dog-side lots of strength.

Cats unfortunately don't have fluffy tails like a lot of dogs and of course foxes do.

This is true however. Usually.

@Love Lab 1

Best first episode of the season so far. Cute girls doing sakuga things; dat hair.

Cant wait to watch this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom