• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 12

Geez that was painful to watch.
Not just the one-sided massacre, but the mentality of the militant countries. It's unsettling that it's a part of their culture, accepted by all of the citizens. It's like that movie The Purge that came out last month, where people just HAVE to have an outlet for their desire to kill. The tournament touched on a similar facet of human nature (the thrill of the fight), but this is much more sinister. At least the king in that arc didn't beat around the bush about his urge to kill. These guys' justification is just the worst. All of their arguments can also be applied to the innocent tribes people, who also express the need for a violent outlet after their suffering, which shows that there is no equalizer to war. The ripple affect is also seen here. Whereas the tournamet arc shows a vicious cycle of revenge across the family lineage, this episode presents a 'violence breeds more violence' effect, regardless of whether the people of the prospering country choose to remain ignorant. It starts at home, moves into neighboring civilizations, and then its reach comes to affect travelers like Kino. That's the real curse of war.

That was a pretty poignant episode. It did a much better job at being anti war than for example Saikano, which just bludgeoned you to death with how horrible war is. I guess that works too. Kino's journey is a lot more subtle with its messages.

Theonik

Are there any dog girls who act dog like? I think it's just a visual gimmick for the most time.
How doglike do you want?

There are some great portrayals of cats in anime/manga (Chi's Sweet Home, Poyopoyo, Tonnura-san), but I'm not aware of anything similar focused on a dog. The industry is clearly biased.
image.php

There is always Chiba Inuko too.

The fact that it bothers you greatly amuses me.
Stop sexualising cats.

cnet128

Banned
Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu (how is that actually shorter than the original manga title?) 1

Oh, I love this. The girls are adorable and full of energy and enthusiasm, the action seems lots of fun, the presentation is really nice. My only complaint is that I have to wait a week for the next episode.

Oh, and that Sawashiro only got one line in this episode. (I didn't even realise she was in this until she made her appearance right at the end! Hells yeah Sawashiro!) That one line was in English, too. Sawashiro Miyuki, I love you, but please stop pretending you can speak English. You spoke two English words in this episode and already I was getting flashbacks to that scene in Symphogear. You know the one I mean.

Come to think of it, we're getting new Symphogear today as well, aren't we. How oddly appropriate.

AHEM. Back on topic. So yeah, cute girls with model guns. Hnnnnngh.

Main character girl Yamato Yura is the adorable shy-and-quiet type who needs this club of crazy people to bring her out of her shell. Basically I just want to hug her.

Though she doesn't know it yet, Yura's new roommate is club leader Kashima Sonora, the aforementioned Sawashiro, who looks to be the super-cool tomboy type.

Since Sonora's not around for most of this episode, though, Hatsuse Karira comes across as the leader of the group. I'm tempted to ignore the fact that she has an actual name and just call her DekoRitsu, since she looks and acts like a cross between Dekomori from Chuuni and Ritsu from K-ON. In other words, high best girl potential.

She can't actually be best girl, though, because Kirishima Rento seems to be seizing that title pretty effectively. She's a super-happy ojousama type (well, as ojousama as you can get when you're obsessed with shooting people with guns) who tries to entice the main character with cake. Basically she's the Mugi. Except better.

The other two girls didn't leave much of an impression on me in this first episode, but we have Mutsu Honoka, who has the privilege of being voiced by Saitou Chiwa, and therefore can't fail to be at least somewhat awesome, and Hinata Yachiyo, whose distinguishing feature is being short and loli-ish. She's cute, I like her. But then, so are the rest of them.

In summary: Good first episode, give me more NOW.

Have you seen Our Homes Fox Deity? If you like Inukamis, its a good show to watch.

I've never heard of this but I might give it a look see, especially since it has comedy in it.

This talk about fox girls also reminded me that I watched Tayutama Kiss on my Deity a long time ago. Too bad I can't remember a thing about that show though.

cajunator

Banned
Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu (how is that actually shorter than the original manga title?) 1

Oh, I love this. The girls are adorable and full of energy and enthusiasm, the action seems lots of fun, the presentation is really nice. My only complaint is that I have to wait a week for the next episode.

Oh, and that Sawashiro only got one line in this episode. (I didn't even realise she was in this until she made her appearance right at the end!) That one line was in English, too. Sawashiro Miyuki, I love you, but please stop pretending you can speak English. You spoke two English words in this episode and already I was getting flashbacks to that scene in Symphogear. You know the one I mean.

Come to think of it, we're getting new Symphogear today as well, aren't we. How oddly appropriate.

AHEM. Back on topic. So yeah, cute girls with model guns. Hnnnnngh.

Main character girl Yamato Yura is the adorable shy-and-quiet type who needs this club of crazy people to bring her out of her shell. Basically I just want to hug her.

Though she doesn't know it yet, Yura's new roommate is club leader Kashima Sonora, the aforementioned Sawashiro, who looks to be the super-cool tomboy type.

Since Sonora's not around for most of this episode, though, Hatsuse Karira comes across as the leader of the group. I'm tempted to ignore the fact that she has an actual name and just call her DekoRitsu, since she looks and acts like a cross between Dekomori from Chuuni and Ritsu from K-ON. In other words, high best girl potential.

She can't actually be best girl, though, because Kirishima Rento seems to be seizing that title pretty effectively. She's a super-happy ojousama type (well, as ojousama as you can get when you're obsessed with shooting people with guns) who tries to entice the main character with cake. Basically she's the Mugi. Except better.

The other two girls didn't leave much of an impression on me in this first episode, but we have Mutsu Honoka, who has the privilege of being voiced by Saitou Chiwa, and therefore can't fail to be at least somewhat awesome, and Hinata Yachiyo, whose distinguishing feature is being short and loli-ish. She's cute, I like her. But then, so are the rest of them.

In summary: Good first episode, give me more NOW.

this sounds potentially more fun than Upotte.
Especially that description of Hatsuse.

cajunator

Banned
I've never heard of this but I might give it a look see, especially since it has comedy in it.

This talk about fox girls also reminded me that I watched Tayutama Kiss on my Deity a long time ago. Too bad I can't remember a thing about that show though.

You should check it out. Its not spectacular but its a fun watch. The wolf god in it can be male or female depending on its whim.

survivor

Banned
Yuyushiki 12 End

Well that's the end of the only spring anime I kept up with. It was uneven and with some pacing problems and scenes falling completely flat. However it excelled in the art of random nonsensical dialogues and playing with your heart. I do appreciate that this anime never tried to get serious and kept it low on the non-comedy scenes cause with this level of writing they will always fail at it. I will watch a second season if it they make one, but this isn't something I will be very hyped about.

Jex

I know it's sad that you can't go "cum over my face, master Anno!" mode with a Gainax show anymore.
But first the most Gainax openings suck and there is nothing wrong with this opening.

That's an interesting comment. At this point I do well believe that Gainax has made more bad shows than good shows so I wouldn't be surprised if, in general, both their shows and their openings 'sucked'. However, talking about the aggregate history of the studio will tell you one story, but I think it would be more fruitful to look at their most important releases which they devoted the most amount of talent and time to. So, the following titles have pretty good openings:

Gunbuster
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kare Kano (Although I'm not wild about it)
Diebuster
Gurren Lagann

I think they're doing okay.

cnet128

Banned
I meant inu like wolf or whatever. You know what I mean.
Also Azusa is hnnnnnnnnngh.

But Azusa is a cat-girl. That's why we call her Azu-nyan.

If you're talking about the quasi-doggirl from HenNeko, her name is Azuki Azusa. Omitting any portion of her name is unnatural and wrong.

Theonik

TL Note: Inu means dog.
Arigatou Hitokage-san, I learned a lot!
TL Note: Arigatou means Thank you, but should not be translated to maintain the deep cultural nuance associated with the word.
TL Note 2: San can be translated as Mr. however there is not English equivalent for honorific so it's kept as is to maintain the cultural context of this document.
TL Note 2 (cont.): An honorific title is a word or expression with connotations conveying esteem or respect when used in addressing or referring to a person. Sometimes, the term "honorific" is used in a more specific sense to refer to an honorary academic title. It is also often conflated with systems of honorific speech in linguistics, which are grammatical or morphological ways of encoding the relative social status of speakers
Japanese honorifics are similar to English titles like "Mister" and "Miss", but in Japanese, which has many honorifics, their use is mandatory in many formal and informal social situations. Japanese grammar as a whole tends to function on hierarchy — honorific stems are appended to verbs and many nouns primarily names, and in many cases one word may be exchanged for another word entirely with the same verb- or noun-meaning, but with different honorific connotations.(via wiki)

cajunator

Banned
That's an interesting comment. At this point I do well believe that Gainax has made more bad shows than good shows so I wouldn't be surprised if, in general, both their shows and their openings 'sucked'. However, talking about the aggregate history of the studio will tell you one story, but I think it would be more fruitful to look at their most important releases which they devoted the most amount of talent and time to. So, the following titles have pretty good openings:

Gunbuster
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Diebuster
Gurren Lagann

Pretty much. Gainax has some pretty cool OPs.

But Azusa is a cat-girl. That's why we call her Azu-nyan.

If you're talking about the quasi-doggirl from HenNeko, her name is Azuki Azusa. Omitting any portion of her name is unnatural and wrong.

Talking about the Henneko Azusa, sorry for confusions.

Ojamajo Doremi 29

On topic of Dog girls vs Cat girls, Doremi becomes a Dog Girl!.... Before she gets transformed into Sarah Jessica Parker.

KIMONOS AND PICKPOCKETS YO!
lol Doremi losing her Tap. Dude obviously took Doremi's stuff just to further his ship along.

Doremi, the fuck happened to your arm?

cajunator

Banned
TL Note: Arigatou means Thank you, but should not be translated to maintain the deep cultural nuance associated with the word.
TL Note 2: San can be translated as Mr. however there is not English equivalent for honorific so it's kept as is to maintain the cultural context of this document.
TL Note 2 (cont.): An honorific title is a word or expression with connotations conveying esteem or respect when used in addressing or referring to a person. Sometimes, the term "honorific" is used in a more specific sense to refer to an honorary academic title. It is also often conflated with systems of honorific speech in linguistics, which are grammatical or morphological ways of encoding the relative social status of speakers
Japanese honorifics are similar to English titles like "Mister" and "Miss", but in Japanese, which has many honorifics, their use is mandatory in many formal and informal social situations. Japanese grammar as a whole tends to function on hierarchy — honorific stems are appended to verbs and many nouns primarily names, and in many cases one word may be exchanged for another word entirely with the same verb- or noun-meaning, but with different honorific connotations.(via wiki)

I sense wit and sarcasm. Probably my imagination.

BluWacky

You missed a TL note for the word Hitokage itself. I won't watch anything by your fansub group ever again :(

cajunator

Banned
Fixed.

(I wasn't confused, I just wanted to simultaneously preach the "Azuki Azusa is an indivisible name" agenda and bring an adorable cat-girl into the discussion in one fell swoop =p)

I suppose thats fair.
Azusa is pretty prevalently known as one character, so it does kind of have to be differentiated.

Theonik

I sense wit and sarcasm. Probably my imagination.
Protecting the culture of glorious Nippon is serious business.
A Gaijin like you couldn't possibly understand. I'm an honorary Nipponjin and an expert on such matters so I can speak with authority on this matter.
TL Note: Nippon is Japan, Nipponjin means a person from Japan and is written with the characters for Japan (日本) and person (人).
TL Note 2: Gaijin means foreigner.

You missed a TL note for the word Hitokage itself. I won't watch anything by your fansub group ever again :(
I expect everyone to understand something so elementary. These are fansubs aimed at true connoisseurs.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TL Note: Hitokage means Charmander. Some people claim it means "person shadow" but that's crazy talk.
TL Note 2: "Charmander" is just the English rendition of what was "Salamander" in the Japanese version.
TL Note 3: Salamanders have a historical connection with fire in folklore.
TL Note 4: Fire is hot.

cajunator

Banned
Protecting the culture of glorious Nippon is serious business.
A Gaijin like you couldn't possibly understand. I'm an honorary Nipponjin and an expert on such matters so I can speak with authority on this matter.

I expect everyone to understand something so elementary. These are fansubs aimed at true connoisseurs.

Man now youre just bein an ass!

Jarmel

Banned

Gunbuster
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Diebuster
Gurren Lagann

I don't think the Kare Kano one should be on that list.

No wonder it went down the shitter (Manglobe)

It's real mystery that why they butched the anime series so badly when it actually was a solid seller. Liked the first two seasons and was kinda hyped for Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Watched three episodes and were wtf is this shit. So sad.

cajunator

Banned
It's real mystery that why they butched the anime series so badly when it actually was a solid seller. Liked the first two seasons and was kinda hyped for Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Watched three episodes and were wtf is this shit. So sad.

That was one hell of a sales dropoff to be sure. Maybe people are just tired of the series?

Theonik

Man now youre just bein an ass!
I'm just sick and tired by how the community likes to sideline important things like context in the name of "user friendliness" if you want to watch anime go an learn Japanese.
People need to look at this medium seriously.

I didn't even watch CTMEOY, but was disappointed by what happened

That was one hell of a sales dropoff to be sure. Maybe people are just tired of the series?

More like it was butchered to the point that it's pointless to be an anime only watcher for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hope you're watching it in the original Japanese!
Latin American dub, actually, since that's the one I grew up with.
Although, I must ask, why are you watching this particular title when there are so many great anime titles to be viewed?
Just an urge I've had for a while, and it's the season of Digimon that I feel has most to offer on a rewatch.

It's not like I'm only watching Toei titles anyway. Did you miss my Giant Robo impressions earlier?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Railgun S 10-12

The show's visuals are really good. I think the series has come a long way ever since the first Index season aired.

We're getting a variety of emotions out of Mikoto and it's really cool to see all sides of her considering we don't get much variety from the Index and the first Railgun seasons. It's hard to believe that she's a 14 year-old though. Meh.

Show is good so far but it has pacing issues and this arc is taking way longer than it should imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom