• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
Rebirth of Buddha

It wasn't bad at all, I don't think it would be crazy to call it a good movie. I'm not an expert on the quality of animation, but I thought this one was pretty good. The plot wasn't as batshit crazy as the previous ones I've seen (with a couple exceptions.)
Takehito Koyasu voicing Sorano/Buddha was just perfect in my opinion, the man just oozes class.
The cameos of certain characters featured in the other movies were a very nice touch. I'm definitely enjoying these Happy Science films more than I expected. Off to the next one!

kqYg3eG.png

That was one hell of a sales dropoff to be sure. Maybe people are just tired of the series?

I really don't think so. Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Cuties were just complete shit. Anime original shit with godawful art. You can see this even from their MAL scores when you compare them to the first two series(7.94->8.13->7.04->7.13).. Why they just didn't adapt the manga like before? I really can't understand the idea behind these two recent seasons and it seems neither can the audience.

Mr.Jeff

I need to play this.
I must confess that's taken out of context unlike say, this. Essentially though it's a pretty bloated vn game filled with the usual ridiculous premises as you'd expect. It's possibly worth it for Risa's VA though. Hot damn.

Edit: Sorry, I'll stop corrupting the thread.

cajunator

Banned
I really don't think so. Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Cuties were just complete shit. Anime original shit with godawful art. You can see this even from their MAL scores when you compare them to the first two series(7.94->8.13->7.04->7.13).. Why they just didn't adapt the manga like before? I really can't understand the idea behind these two recent seasons and it seems neither can the audience.

They probably tried to get too greedy and cheap out on the budget while getting high sales and it backfired.

Theonik

I must confess that's taken out of context unlike say, this. Essentially though it's a pretty bloated vn game filled with the usual ridiculous premises as you'd expect. It's possibly worth it for Risa's VA though. Hot damn.

Edit: Sorry, I'll stop corrupting the thread.
I see. Still interested.
Edit:
There's a lot more sex than you would think. There's even disgusting
human on human intercourse
I see.

Branduil

So Aku no Hana has whetted my appetite for dark, atmospheric anime. I have an idea of what I'd like to watch in that regard, but I thought I'd put out a general call to see if there's anything I would have overlooked. So, AnimeGAF, what are your favorite dark, moody anime?

Have you watched Le Portrait de Petit Cossette? It's only 3 episodes, so you could watch it alongside something else.

Kino's Journey END

I think I finally understand it. "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
Kino tells Hermes in episode 12 that she has met all different kinds of people, and, regardless of the how terrible her encounters may be, they are still new experiences. She gets to discover new cultures, learn about new technology, meet new people, and experience every facet of humanity. This episode returned to the theme of the resilience of the human spirit. The parallels this country had with Kino's home showed a universality to this part of human nature. I was so focused on worrying that the Kino cycle would repeat itself that I didn't realize just how endearing Lilly was until the end. Contrary to the first letter, she knew about the impending volcanic eruption, and yet she remained steadfast for her family, her community, and her dream. Kino commented on how Lilly reminded her of herself, so we finally got to see Kino feel personally connected to something during her travels. I knew from that look of devastation that it truly shook her, and it even invited introspection, making her think about what she was doing with herself. But the persuader made me realize that, chronologically, this episode isn't the conclusion. Kino searches within herself after this and finds renewed conviction to continue traveling. The resilience of the human spirit. Kino knows that humanity is not an independent form, but the sum of every one of its facets making something truly beautiful. And the fact that Kino's Journey was able to convey this message to me makes it all the more precious for having watched it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What happened to your avatar? :O

Between avatars!

I'm bothered by cruelty toward cats as well. I don't actually hate the animal, but there are some clear differences between them and dogs that makes me lean toward liking the latter more. Nothing is absolute of course; animals have their own individual personalities that extend beyond the common observations and known instinctual behavior of both, but I'd generally take the friendly and social dog with easily recognizable social cues over the solitary cat that stereo typically tends to "just be there".

Also, I'm severely allergic to cats.

And that's just fine. I have no malice toward anyone who prefers one to the other--I myself am more of a cat person for various reasons, but it's entirely about me liking cats and not about me hating dogs. They're fine creatures and I fully realize that many people find them easier to form an emotional attachment to.

I'm just bothered by the frothing pathological hatred of one or the other, though I suppose in practice 99% of such hatred that I witness is directed toward cats. Look no further than OT, like when some shithead tries to derail any cat thread with insane CATS R MAKING PEOPLE CRAZY toxoplasmosis babble. AlphaGAF finds the mere concept of a cat to be utterly emasculating, which poisons virtually every discussion on pet ownership.

Wait, are you searching for characters with visors, characters from Sailor Moon or both things combined? Maybe I can't bring you good news but I can help you search for nice illustrations!

Either/or! But I'm probably looking for something Sailor Moon-themed moreso at this point.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey END

I think I finally understand it. "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
Kino tells Hermes in episode 12 that she has met all different kinds of people, and, regardless of the how terrible her encounters may be, they are still new experiences. She gets to discover new cultures, learn about new technology, meet new people, and experience every facet of humanity. This episode returned to the theme of the resilience of the human spirit. The parallels this country had with Kino's home showed a universality to this part of human nature. I was so focused on worrying that the Kino cycle would repeat itself that I didn't realize just how endearing Lilly was until the end. Contrary to the first letter, she knew about the impending volcanic eruption, and yet she remained steadfast for her family, her community, and her dream. Kino commented on how Lilly reminded her of herself, so we finally got to see Kino feel personally connected to something during her travels. I knew from that look of devastation that it truly shook her, and it even invited introspection, making her think about what she was doing with herself. But the persuader made me realize that, chronologically, this episode isn't the conclusion. Kino searches within herself after this and finds renewed conviction to continue traveling. The resilience of the human spirit. Kino knows that humanity is not an independent form, but the sum of every one of its facets making something truly beautiful. And the fact that Kino's Journey was able to convey this message to me makes it all the more precious for having watched it.

wasnt it amazing? Such a subtle yet incredible way to end the series and tie it into everything. Kino's Journey is an absolute masterpiece. I cannot have enough superlatives for that series. I cannot give it enough praise. It will stay with you a long long time. Perhaps forever.

IIRC Cuties actually did adapt the manga's character -specific stories; only the last two episodes are original.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rebirth of Buddha

The plot wasn't as batshit crazy as the previous ones I've seen (with a couple exceptions.)

You were at least amused by the flying space lotuses and the exorcism, right?

via @ultimatemegax

The NISA store bonus item for Daily Lives of High School Boys is the necktie from the characters' school uniforms, and for Yuru Yuri it's a "Girls' Love Reflections" pocket mirror.

aww yiss

I hope that the necktie has a secret compartment with a picture of Tadakuni like that creepy Asuna tie.

That's a good ED. I must admit I'm starting to look forward to this.

I watched the first episode raw. It's got style out the wazoo and pretty sharp visual direction. The two flaws I can see in it are probably due to being a part of the Rozen Maiden franchise: one of the doll's voice and personality were annoying, and the plot seems convoluted. But I liked it. Some good atmosphere.

wasnt it amazing? Such a subtle yet incredible way to end the series and tie it into everything. Kino's Journey is an absolute masterpiece. I cannot have enough superlatives for that series. I cannot give it enough praise. It will stay with you a long long time. Perhaps forever.
It really was! I feel like it's always going to have a presence when I explore fiction from now on, making me consider things from a whole new perspective.

cajunator

Banned
I watched the first episode raw. It's got style out the wazoo and pretty sharp visual direction. The two flaws I can see in it are probably due to being a part of the Rozen Maiden franchise: one of the doll's voice and personality were annoying, and the plot seems convoluted. But I liked it. Some good atmosphere.

Will this show have Suigintou? It needs Suigintou.

Branduil

Which doll?

Phi Brain Puzzle of God 1-15(end) (season 1, second rewatch, dubwatch)

After seeing the season 3 visuals and characters, I was in the mood to reexperience the series, so I did. Sentai dub is pretty good for it and great voices all around. I think it does have that weird things with stuff in english, in which the VAs have the momentary and slight pause before they say a characters JPN name (like whenever they say Jikukawa, or even Kaito Daimon...). Still one of my favorite shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S_y6bT3Ais
Tari Tari has such great music. I think I really need the OST for it.
CdJapan I guess is the best place to find such a thing right?
Thats where I got the Chihayafuru soundtracks.

This is where I have ordered OSTs for Railgun, Time of EVE, Haibane Renmei, and Minami-ke. Make sure you order all the items you want at once since shipping can add up quickly if you are only ordering one item at a time.

I watched it way back when it came out on DVD, but I would definitely buy it again on Blu-Ray. Just because.

cajunator

Banned
This is where I have ordered OSTs for Railgun, Time of EVE, Haibane Renmei, and Minami-ke. Make sure you order all the items you want at once since shipping can add up quickly if you are only ordering one item at a time.

I also ordered Allison and Lillia soundtrack from there. Pretty gorgeous stuff too.

I watched it way back when it came out on DVD, but I would definitely buy it again on Blu-Ray. Just because.

I would buy it several times again.
Especially bluray.
although it has a soft look to it partly thanks to the unusual filter over everything, so a bluray version might not be all that much improved.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 13 (End)
tumblr_mpfcovGpSA1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Hilarious final episode focusing on all of the strengths of the series and even threw in nice Hikki and Hayama moments. Probably only one not on Hikki and Saika :( I shall miss it. Overall 9/10. Would buy.

I guess thats also the final episode of anime from this season that were one cour(?) or so that ended. If I ranked the top five, would be.
1 Karneval
2 UtaPri2
3 Valvrave
4 Arata The Legend
5 Devil Survivor 2

And from this season, I would buy those, as well as SNAFU and The Devil is A Part Timer.

C'mon DTL, its practically canon

tumblr_mlw6kz5Omg1rrpeyuo1_500.jpg

Why not both?

This.

Dogs are the best creatures that walk this earth.

Cats are utterly adorable. Except when it comes to feeding time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom