• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 1

i5GcMMoOqosN.jpg

ibo795AbBKxhIq.jpg

This is apparently a sequel to the original manga series, so if anyone was hoping for closure on the cliffhanger that the original anime series left us with... LOL. The first episode also attempts to summarize the entire original manga, so as you'd expect, the pacing is incredibly rushed and the story has the barest shreds of coherence.

Even so, this was surprisingly enjoyable. The art direction is fantastic, with beautiful and stylishly rendered layouts and clever effects animation. Mamoru Hatekeyama continues to show that whatever else you might think about his direction, or choice of material, he's a storyboarding wiz; every shot is thoughtfully planned out and he even manages some characterization in this rushed prologue with smart use of repetition. I think if people have any idea what's going on after watching this episode, it's because of his work here.

The next episode will probably be substantially better paced, so if the show can remain half this polished visually, I'm sold.

Jex

Latin American dub, actually, since that's the one I grew up with.

Just an urge I've had for a while, and it's the season of Digimon that I feel has most to offer on a rewatch.

It's not like I'm only watching Toei titles anyway. Did you miss my Giant Robo impressions earlier?

Not entirely!

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 1

This is apparently a sequel to the original manga series, so if anyone was hoping for closure on the cliffhanger that the original anime series left us with... LOL. The first episode also attempts to summarize the entire original manga, so as you'd expect, the pacing is incredibly rushed and the story has the barest shreds of coherence.

Even so, this was surprisingly enjoyable. The art direction is fantastic, with beautiful and stylishly rendered layouts and clever effects animation. Mamoru Hatekeyama continues to show that whatever else you might think about his direction, or choice of material, he's a storyboarding wiz; every shot is thoughtfully planned out and he even manages some characterization in this rushed prologue with smart use of repetition. I think if people have any idea what's going on after watching this episode, it's because of his work here.

The next episode will probably be substantially better paced, so if the show can remain half this polished visually, I'm sold.

So the previous series of the anime went on their own and diverged from the manga? I haven't watched any Rozen Maiden, this is making it sound confusing to start.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haha, I just wish I did a better job on Nafe's av.

You did Nafe's?

Just to be clear, my response to Chet wasn't an endorsement of his statement that one visor was better-drawn than the other! Come to think of it, the way that I drew my visor isn't really appropriate for this picture anyway given its thick outlines and block shading.

Branduil

So the previous series of the anime went on their own and diverged from the manga? I haven't watched any Rozen Maiden, this is making it sound confusing to start.

The two previous anime series were their own thing, basically.

You can start with this, but the first episode is a recap of an entire manga series, so it's just barely coherent. Looks great, though.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 10

Dat Tomokazu Sugita! I haven't experienced anything from this series outside of Phantom Blood, so this is really exciting for me!
Joseph's no gentleman like his grandfather, but damn if he isn't kickass! The dude just doesn't give a fuck. I love it! I like how he was going all Sherlock on the goon in the bar before proceeding to destroy him. And grandma Erina is such a boss. But I couldn't believe Speedwagon died! I look forward to the inevitable revenge-filled ass-whooping Straits will receive, courtesy of Joseph.

YEES, Best part animated

Why its need concluding anything? Its sitcom.

I love Working! btw

Sitcoms do have conclusions over time, it just feels like a drag during S2.

And Doremi Dog is back by public demand...

Ojamajo Doremi # - 14

...and this time with Hazuki Dog too.

I was watching with my brother(
this one don't watch anime anymore =/
) in the room and he started to laugh when he saw
the Ojamajos turning into dogs, Hazuki isn't ready to be a dog, instead of barking she was waving her paws.

Junichi-sensei is going to be a harem mc oneday too.

Hazuki <3

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You did Nafe's?

Just to be clear, my response to Chet wasn't an endorsement of his statement that one visor was better-drawn than the other! Come to think of it, the way that I drew my visor isn't really appropriate for this picture anyway given its thick outlines and block shading.
Yeah. I think I did a good enough job on getting the color and transparency right, but didn't know how to shade/highlight it to make it look reflective.

Articalys

Important discussion from the MangaGamer panel Q&A (more relevant towards erogames, I guess, but still):
Q: Where do you think the imouto archetype is going in the next 5 years?

A (summarized):
It's going to last that time because of the amount coming out right now.
(second panelist) I would like to agree with the [first panelist].
(third panelist) Imouto futures are a very found investment.
(fourth panelist) It's no longer a fetish in anime manga or games, it's a norm, so I expect it going nowhere.
(fifth panelist) I agree.
(sixth panelist) I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say onee-chans are better.

You did Nafe's?

You're aloud to toot your own horn once in a while.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Servant x Service 1:

bu7n3C6l.jpg

Hey, it's the ultimate rarity: an anime that even momentarily acknowledges the existence of the underclass!

So, I suppose this is inoffensive, at least. I was ready to bail a few minutes in simply due to the characters' behavior being situationally inappropriate to the point of me beginning to cringe inside, but I was mildly amused by the revelation of the
revenge
hook and finally accepted that I could probably keep watching this at the point of the turtleneck sweater+glasses combo. I am not above being influenced to continue watching something if the character design appeals to me.

The humor is still halfway stuck in SHOUTING MAKES EVERYTHING FUNNIER and the two male characters in particular are both obnoxious in this regard and gratingly one-note, but enough of the humor consisted of poking at the absurdities of bureaucratic work that I can handle 30 minutes a week of this if it doesn't get any worse. It's a totally unrealistic depiction of that job environment, but this is also a comedy. I can accept that it's not exactly aiming to be social commentary.

Also important to note: cool OP.

Dresden

Rozen Maiden - 01

Hey, anime that I can actually be enthusiastic about.

Above is a really nice transition near the end of the episode. Lovely art direction and the lack of a vaseline filter makes this the first show of the season that actually looks, unreservedly, good.

Going in knowing that this episode would be a summation of the manga helped. Events happen fast and without the appropriate build-up, but I still got a decent picture of the setup involved and I'm ready for more. It's incoherent at times, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The accumulation of plot points eventually makes the conclusion of the episode incomprehensible, but considering the task at hand, I'm impressed that they were able to explain this much of the story in such a short period of time.

Quasar

Chronicles of the Going Home Club #1

Jeez that was boring, and I'm someone who kind of liked GJ-bu and Seitokai No Ichizon, which covered pretty much the exact same ground.

Rozen Maiden - 01

Above is a really nice transition near the end of the episode. Lovely art direction and the lack of a vaseline filter makes this the first show of the season that actually looks, unreservedly, good.

I knew we could count on Deen to save us from ugly looking anime.

Eek

edit: lol @ takasugi

Katsura: "I think the sequel should be staring Captain Katsura and the badass motherf***er mother f***ing."
Hasegawa: "So is this thing going to get dubbed or what?"

Those were like the best line I've seen in that dub lol. Even though the dub was terrible I still got a laugh at the jokes. I think the only voice that fitted was Kagura's everyone else's I didn't like. Hasegawa has to be the worst though.

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 1This is apparently a sequel to the original manga series, so if anyone was hoping for closure on the cliffhanger that the original anime series left us with... LOL. The first episode also attempts to summarize the entire original manga, so as you'd expect, the pacing is incredibly rushed and the story has the barest shreds of coherence.

Goddammit, I may want to read the manga so this isn't confusing.

Branduil

I knew we could count on Deen to save us from ugly looking anime.

Well hiring a director with a really good eye for visuals can actually improve a studio, it seems.

Hopefully this time it doesn't go to crap after three episodes, although I don't think the premise is going to teeter over the edge of respectability like his previous series.

zeroshiki

Well hiring a director with a really good eye for visuals can actually improve a studio, it seems.

Hopefully this time it doesn't go to crap after three episodes, although I don't think the premise is going to teeter over the edge of respectability like his previous series.

If the episodes he directly handles run out, then we can see how well the production holds up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah. I think I did a good enough job on getting the color and transparency right, but didn't know how to shade/highlight it to make it look reflective.

I honestly don't think that my lighting is all that good, though! I'll work on tweaking it and we'll see what happens.

Branduil

If the episodes he directly handles run out, then we can see how well the production holds up.

Yeah that's one problem, but Sankarea had the additional coup de grace of the story itself becoming stupid garbage at the same time that Hatekeyama stopped storyboarding.

Hattori

Banned
C3-bu First Impressions:

Cute girls with airsoft guns. Rambo-chan. Very charming cast of characters. Started off slow, but eventually makes up for it with an epic Rambo vs Sheriff sequence. I really enjoyed the first episode, probably another mainstay in my summer lineup.

Lym0SI9.png

htXCfrr.png

#AnimeGAF

Articalys

Monogatari Series experts, kindly remind me: how important is it to know the details of the events in Kizu for the Second Season stories?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
e: ^ it's never too late to join team visor, ura!

I think I've mastered it, Hito. Compare to old:

lwUZ3WV.png

yami4ct

Katsura: "I think the sequel should be staring Captain Katsura and the badass motherf***er mother f***ing."
Hasegawa: "So is this thing going to get dubbed or what?"

Those were like the best line I've seen in that dub lol. Even though the dub was terrible I still got a laugh at the jokes. I think the only voice that fitted was Kagura's everyone else's I didn't like. Hasegawa has to be the worst though.

Gintama is already tricky enough to dub, adding a bad voice cast on top of it just killed any humor for me from what I've seen. I mean, it's going to be near impossible to match the JP cast. So many of the character's voices in that show are so iconically tied to their character. Sugita is Gintoki, for example. I can't imagine him any other way. Same for at least Hasegawa, Katsura and Kagura. The fact that sentai was so far off the mark only made the problem way worse.

cajunator

Banned
What in the world is going on with that ahoge?

That is an impressive ahoge!

Thank god for lightbeams, I can't imagine what lewd things are on that bulletin board.
Going Home Club is such an ugly show, it makes C3 look great.

Wait there are two cute girls in club shows?

Rozen Maiden - 01

Going in knowing that this episode would be a summation of the manga helped. Events happen fast and without the appropriate build-up, but I still got a decent picture of the setup involved and I'm ready for more. It's incoherent at times, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The accumulation of plot points eventually makes the conclusion of the episode incomprehensible, but considering the task at hand, I'm impressed that they were able to explain this much of the story in such a short period of time.

Doesnt animegaf hate Rozen Maiden? Is this one different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom