• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
...With all those "happy birthday" quotes now I just feel guilty that I didn't say it. ~.~

Happy birthday RurouniZel!

Servant x Service 1

Wow, this was way more fun than I expected. The characters are quirky yet all easy to identify with and play off each other really well, and the office setting which isn't very common in anime makes the whole thing feel pretty fresh. I haven't seen Working!!, so I can't comment on the comparisons people are making with that, but if it's anything like this show I might want to check it out at some point.

EDIT: dammit not top of the page again!

DOUBLE-EDIT: Zel, your avatar suddenly reminded me of this photo I took years ago...

e_i

Kin'iro Mosiac episode 1

YOU GONNA GET
loved tenderly

Waiting on subs...but I love this show already.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
...With all those "happy birthday" quotes now I just feel guilty that I didn't say it. ~.~

Happy birthday RurouniZel!

DOUBLE-EDIT: Zel, your avatar suddenly reminded me of this photo I took years ago...

Thank you! I tried to get everyone since I was asleep at the time, I hope I didn't miss anyone.

And that photo is adorable! :3

EDIT: I just read this review of Hataraku Maou-sama! on Anime News Network and I surprising agree with most of what's written here, except the culture commentary bit that I think is stretching a bit. I'll quote just a couple of bits of it since IIRC quoting entire articles/reviews is frowned upon here?

In the world of reviews, the word fun tends to be a “but” word. As in: “the show is fun, but…” Consequently it has a somewhat pejorative connotation. It's simultaneously a positive and a dismissive thing to call a show. But it shouldn't be. Real fun isn't easy or simple. It's whip-smart and finely balanced; calculated yet seemingly effortless; funny and self-deprecating and secretly substantial. It is, in short, The Devil is a Part-Timer!.

Of course the show has its bumps. Some of its episodes are genuinely silly, and there's some extended potty humor in the second arc that gets a little annoying after a while. It never satisfactorily explains the discrepancy between Maou's Ente Isla and Earth behavior, and it moves so quickly and changes so frequently that some characters—namely Emilia's stalwart companions Emeralda and Albert—get lost in the shuffle. The big kahuna, though, is the final episode—a bit of throwaway fluff that ends the show on a weirdly inconclusive note. Each of the show's main arcs built nicely to big, thrilling, emotionally satisfying (not to mention hilarious) conclusions, so it's a bit of a puzzle why the series as whole chooses to end with a shrug.

If we're to be entirely honest, half of the reason that Devil's final episode rankles is simply because it's the last episode. It wouldn't matter how great the last episode is, we'd still resent it a little for being the last one. Unless, of course, there's a second season in the offing. Pretty please?

EDIT EDIT: This just got posted to my FB yay!! :D

Little Witch Academia

Well that was a charming little story! I can see why a bunch of people are excited for the new kickstarter because this could work well as a TV series. Or a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if the project got overfunded and they did end up making a movie. In fact, this would work even better as a movie.

What is it with anime and making me despise certain characters at first to go and make me enjoy them in the end? Seriously Diana
was a bitch in the beginning and by the end they redeem her. Well sort of.

But even with the positives, I do wish there was a bit more. Like why this Chariot person had a bad reputation. Like how she's a bad role model for witches or something. So are witches not supposed to believe in themselves or something? Because that's clearly what she was preaching to her crowd.

Or maybe she's like Kamina where she's totally energetic and awesome but everyone else who's not her friend sees her as a dumbass delinquent.

But meh, nitpicking never goes anywhere. Still an enjoyable little thing. Good animation, likable characters, cute moments, hopefully the kickstarter reaches its goal because seeing more would be a good little treat.

Oh and a Happy Birthday to Zel!

PsionBolt

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya - 01

It's exactly as I expected.

First episode wasn't that amazing, but it worked. It's been a while since I read it, but it seemed very faithful to the manga. As far as introductory episodes go, it hit all the usual points, while avoiding the Fate series trend of huge infodumps (that'll be next episode). Pacing was a bit slow, but not glacial.
Worst point is of course the faces, but such is to be expected from Silver Link.

In short, go and watch it immediately.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya - 01

It's exactly as I expected.

First episode wasn't that amazing, but it worked. It's been a while since I read it, but it seemed very faithful to the manga. As far as introductory episodes go, it hit all the usual points, while avoiding the Fate series trend of huge infodumps (that'll be next episode). Pacing was a bit slow, but not glacial.
Worst point is of course the faces, but such is to be expected from Silver Link.

In short, go and watch it immediately.

I'm covering it this season, so it's nice that the first ep is apparently not a complete disaster? Hahaha.

ALSO HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM JAPAN ZEL.

wsippel

Banned
Little Witch Academia

Well that was a charming little story! I can see why a bunch of people are excited for the new kickstarter because this could work well as a TV series. Or a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if the project got overfunded and they did end up making a movie. In fact, this would work even better as a movie.

What is it with anime and making me despise certain characters at first to go and make me enjoy them in the end? Seriously Diana
was a bitch in the beginning and by the end they redeem her. Well sort of.

But even with the positives, I do wish there was a bit more. Like why this Chariot person had a bad reputation. Like how she's a bad role model for witches or something. So are witches not supposed to believe in themselves or something? Because that's clearly what she was preaching to her crowd.

Or maybe she's like Kamina where she's totally energetic and awesome but everyone else who's not her friend sees her as a dumbass delinquent.

But meh, nitpicking never goes anywhere. Still an enjoyable little thing. Good animation, likable characters, cute moments, hopefully the kickstarter reaches its goal because seeing more would be a good little treat.

Oh and a Happy Birthday to Zel!
Most witches consider magic serious business, Chariot "abused" it to entertain the masses. That's why she's a "bad role model" - she was essentially a rockstar.

cnet128

Banned
Symphogear G 1

That was...pretty much how I remember the first series being. Which is to say, the characters are decent but not amazing, the songs are decent but not amazing (and it's still vaguely offputting that the songs during battle, which are supposedly being sung by the characters, don't really give that impression at all but just come across as background music), but the sheer spectacle of it all makes the whole thing feel just about worthwhile.

Also Kris is still pretty moe. So there's that.

Oh, and I couldn't tell
who it was on the other end of that phone call
, but dat
Fine namedrop
at the end gives me hope for moar Sawashiro goodness in this season.

Ezalc

I can see Silver Spoon and Gatchaman Crowds getting an OT but that's about it really.

When are these two starting?

I actually found a clip of the jazz in question; however, it's also the last five minutes of the show. You can hear it in the very beginning to get a taste if you want. Spoilers.

Dat jazz, DAMN! Almost makes me want to watch this show because of it. So good.

KyoAni shows are the best for gender bending

This would have appealed to me greatly.

Thank you all!! :D Love the Miku pics too! ^_^ For the curious I'm "Magic Johnson" years old.

A silly way of saying "32"

:C

Syrinx

Yep, I'm getting on in age, and problems arise too.

Enjoy your youth, lads. It's all downhill from here.

Today I''m going to a graduation party for my younger cousin. The moment that I realized that this kid was graduating was the first time I ever felt...old.

But today I learned you're ten years older than me, so now I feel better!

Sorry.

cajunator

Banned

e_i

Love Lab episode 1

That was hilarious. The two leads should just hook up.
Riko is the only one who can handle Natsuo anyway

RurouniZel

Happy B-day Zel! May the garden bless you!

The garden shall always protect me! :D

Today I''m going to a graduation party for my younger cousin. The moment that I realized that this kid was graduating was the first time I ever felt...old.

But today I learned you're ten years older than me, so now I feel better!

Sorry.

It's all good! We all get there eventually. You're days are numbered. XD

;P

Ezalc

This isn't what I meant, but to comment on it: You should look at yourself like fine wine. Only gets better with age. Also high five for July birthdays!

Jarmel

Banned
Dat scissors

iyyTkGHWlUyVq.png

cnet128

Banned
One of the best character designers in the business. Period.

It's true, I always talk up Nisio Isin and SHAFT when discussing the Monogatari series, but the heart of the series is its characters, and I always forget that they wouldn't be nearly as awesome as they are without their amazing designs courtesy of VOFAN and the godly Watanabe Akio. I bow to these people for bringing us one of the greatest lolis known to man. Oh, and some other cute girls.

cajunator

Banned
Started watching Fate/Zero and I am really enjoying it so far.

Nice! HOpe you enjoy it. Is a really well produced show and quite interesting to follow. Plus rider is a goddamned BOSS.

Thank you all!! :D Love the Miku pics too! ^_^ For the curious I'm "Magic Johnson" years old.

A silly way of saying "32"

Hope you have a great day!
Your avatar reminds me of a picture I made years ago:
joPsaNS.gif

Thank you! I tried to get everyone since I was asleep at the time, I hope I didn't miss anyone.

And that photo is adorable! :3

EDIT: I just read this review of Hataraku Maou-sama! on Anime News Network and I surprising agree with most of what's written here, except the culture commentary bit that I think is stretching a bit. I'll quote just a couple of bits of it since IIRC quoting entire articles/reviews is frowned upon here?

EDIT EDIT: This just got posted to my FB yay!! :D

Are you familiar with Penguins Project? Some sort of Hatsune Miku compilation album of absolutely adorable music sung by Hatsune Miku. Here is one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkArGUMk3eM

RurouniZel

This isn't what I meant, but to comment on it: You should look at yourself like fine wine. Only gets better with age. Also high five for July birthdays!

Ah okay! Thanks! :D

Hope you have a great day!
Your avatar reminds me of a picture I made years ago:
joPsaNS.gif

Are you familiar with Penguins Project? Some sort of Hatsune Miku compilation album of absolutely adorable music sung by Hatsune Miku. Here is one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkArGUMk3eM

I'd never heard of that. I shall listen to it!

cajunator

Banned
When are these two starting?

Dat jazz, DAMN! Almost makes me want to watch this show because of it. So good.

This would have appealed to me greatly.

:C

Told ya it was groovy stuff! Glad someone recorded it.

I'm right behind you man!

It's true, I always talk up Nisio Isin and SHAFT when discussing the Monogatari series, but the heart of the series is its characters, and I always forget that they wouldn't be nearly as awesome as they are without their amazing designs courtesy of VOFAN and the godly Watanabe Akio. I bow to these people for bringing us one of the greatest lolis known to man. Oh, and some other cute girls.

He also designed the goddess in my avatar.
Komugi :D
*bows to Akio Watanabe and his bandaid genius.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 17

Info dump flashback about Cleo's parents and Ecardo. Nothing to say really, though I'm wondering what the hell Elvia was doing laying in the back of a runaway wagon. She didn't look restrained or in danger or anything. Also, what did she have to tell Ecardo upon his return? Maybe she was in love with him? But then she married Magnus and killed herself when he died instead of going with Ecardo and Cleo, so...that doesn't sound like it. Maybe it's that she was marrying Magnus and that she was pregnant with his baby? But that kinda sounds like a kick in the balls. I mean, "Hey guy who's in love with me, I have something to tell you upon your return from battle." *guy returns* "I'm getting married to your friend and having his baby." Yeah, doesn't work.

Ah, I don't care enough to keep thinking about this. Maybe I'm misremembering and she was talking to Magnus. Whatevs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom