• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

This morning, Sentai licensed the following shows from the current season:

-- Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

-- Fantasista Doll

So, par for the course.

-------------------------------------------------------

Also as expected, Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story will once again be screened internationally, with the United States, Canada, and France as the first announced countries. France gets it on November 16, three weeks after the Japan opening; no other details yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Genei o Kakeru Taiyou 1

It was okay. The cynical part of me wants to assume that it's just a Meguca-alike, but aside from it clearly lacking the budget and ambition, I don't want to get into the habit of writing every dark mahou shoujo off as opportunistic instead of evaluating them on their own merits.
if anything it's Meguca meets Cardcaptor Sakura because of the whole "the MotWs are tarot cards!" thing

I have to say, I kind of like the art in this. There are some pretty backgrounds, it has an attractive color palette, and although I was skeptical of the lolified character designs, they kind of work here because they have a somewhat angular look to them that makes it plausible that they're actually a "style" here and not entirely creeper fuel. I'm probably giving the art too much credit and just subconsciously want to justify the fact that I'm watching this, so whatevs. It was pretty conservative in terms of pandering, unless, of course, you consider this kind of character design to be inherently panderous. Ganguro Gypsy is character design of the season so far.

still, lol @ this sort of thing. Yup, this is supposed to be an adult!

This was an introductory episode so there's not a lot to comment on without devolving into OMG DAT TWEEEEEST, but I will say that the show establishes fairly quickly that it means business. No punches pulled whatsoever, and I can appreciate that. The episode does a good job of introducing and characterizing the protagonist and emphasizing the aspects of her background and current life that will factor into the narrative.

There's also no much to say about the mahou shoujo aspect of the show yet because this didn't come into play until the very end of the episode, but the costuming is fairly attractive. It's unorthodox in that there's little to no cohesion between the costumes that the ensemble uses, each instead being (presumably) a visual encapsulation of the wearer's personality. I'm surprised that I'm reacting positively to it, because in most other shows it would almost certainly be weeb clothing trope overload, but, again, there's something about these enormously exaggerated costumes on little toothpick bodies that just works. Perhaps it's an issue of contrast.

Good OST unfortunately marred by the use of synth. Could have shined with more orchestration.

Narag

.hack//Sign End
Holy crap was that anticlimactic.
probably the most anticlimactic anime I have ever seen.
wow...

To learn more: Explore the franchise!! I thought the end was ok enough back in the day. Main impetus of the show is resolved but there's a billion lingering questions.

PsionBolt

Symphogear G - 01

They changed the classy transformation from last season to a more traditional one. The new transformation has some nice emphasis on the crunchy mecha girl side of things.
I'm pretty sure anyone who hates Symphogear hates anime, so... Go and watch it.

Sun Penetrates Illusions - 01

Dumb name. And the protagonist's hair-moon is distracting. But it might be an interesting show. I'm not quite sold on it as a magical girl show, but I'm interested enough to watch this live instead of Prisma Illya next week.
That said, I won't say to go and watch this one just yet.

New Rozen Maiden - 01

I imagine this episode must have been mildly annoying to those who have seen, but not read, Rozen Maiden - "why a recap episode?" - and thoroughly confusing to anyone who has done neither. Even having read this part of the source material, I was a bit disoriented. I never read the end of this alternate series - actually, I don't even know if it has ended - so I'm very curious where this one will go.
You probably shouldn't go and watch it unless you know what you're getting into, but if you do, then watch it immediately.

Season of the magical girl indeed. I already reported on Prisma Illya, and we still have Precure of the North Star in a few hours, as well as that other doll show that I missed. Imagine if New Sailor Moon had aired this season as planned - it would have been absolutely nuts.

Nudull

Banned
Also as expected, Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story will once again be screened internationally, with the United States, Canada, and France as the first announced countries. France gets it on November 16, three weeks after the Japan opening; no other details yet.

Awesome! Hope there's a local screening for me again, I had a lot of fun with seeing the last two movies. Even got a poster out of it. :3

cjkeats

Very excited. I hope we don't get gypped here, to say the attendance at the showings of the first two movies here was "low" is a little of an over statement. Maybe 10-15 people in the theatre, myself included.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Genshiken: TNG
bjwqyWFl.jpg

I feel like this was a wasted opportunity to use some of the old shots, because there's absolutely no nostalgia in how the show opens. That CG hall and CG door... combined with an all new voice cast (I can't get over the new Madarame... which is so broken because unlike the other guys or even Ogiue, he is basically a main character), and it feels like I'm watching an entirely different franchise.

But, it was nice to meet the people again. They really just said fuck it to the volume 8 and 9 stories and just assume that you know what's going on, and that's fine. Nerds are still going to nerd, and references will still be made. Although, I'm not sure how I feel about them being able to use "real anime" now:
1SOPvrEl.jpg

Also, there's more gender identity issues in one episode than in all of Wandering Son!
NzQaCNrl.jpg

Well, not really, but given where this show will go, it's kind of funny to revisit how the series started in the beginning.

I just need to get over the new cast... yikes.

BluWacky

An US screening is requirement for an Oscar nomination or?

Yes, it has to screen in the Los Angeles area for at least seven consecutive days before the end of the calendar year (31st December) to be eligible for an Oscar nomination.

I'd have to say I think that Madoka would be unlikely to get an Oscar nomination; the Academy are likely to go with safer choices like From Up On Poppy Hill and (if it gets enough screenings) Wolf Children, and Wolf Children would probably deserve the nomination more (obviously I can't say for certain without seeing the final Madoka film!). Undoubtedly the rest of the category will be padded out with Monsters University, at least one out of The Croods and Turbo (probably the former), Frozen, and maybe another good foreign film like Ernest and Celestine if eligible.

jman2050

Free 1

Nope

Monogatari S2 1

I relent, short-haired Senjougahara is vastly inferior to the original model. Still owns, and I actually didn't mind Hanekawa for once. Should be interesting to see how things go as, to my understanding, the books
sort of run in parallel featuring different characters and their stories rather than centralizing specifically around what Araragi is doing.
Could be a welcome change if done right.

Also those last few minutes were quite... satisfactory.

Hi guys. This is going to be my first post here*.

Monogatari Second Season - 1

What to say about the awaited continuation? Wait, it's easy. Composed of

Moe opening
Tits
Asses
'Curious' dialogue (I was about to say smart, then but I thought twice)
Spirits / ghosts
Modernist design with a tendency to use white + a strong color as palette
Lots and lots of short cuts
Short haircuts (ugh, they were better with long hair)
a few funny moments

In other words, nothing new. Or, the expected, if you want want to see the glass half full.

I also have been watching HxH 2011 (best shonen series.... actually, it's basically the only shonen I like) and Shingeki no Kyojin.

From the past season, I watched
Valvrave (just for laughs, it doesn't reach Code Geass, even if I look at it from the trainwerk angle)
Chihayafuru (good, of course, though I joke with friends that Chihaya is not heterosexual or homosexual, but kuratasexual and we will never ever see any romantic relationship)
Yahari (meh)
Hataraku Maou-sama (good first five episodes, then it went meh)
Gargantia (I should have left the damn series after the third episode)

Right now I'm watching a series recommended by a friend, Kemono no Souja Erin. Manga wise, I read a ton of Seinen, in the hundreds range, though in the last years I slowed down a lot.

In this season, I expect to watch Silver Spoon, and maybe check Gatchman Crowds, just for Kenji Nakamura, Monogatari though quality of past series has been a bit uneven and there is some inertia.

*: though I have been lurking, reading you for years. I know all your secrets...

Kuusoge

These genshiken voices. I like the new Ogiue and Sasahara cast, but man do I miss Nobuyuki Hiyama as Madarame. His voice just doesn't have the same comic effect.

Articalys

Monogatari Series Second Season ep 1

YES

IT'S BACK IN ALL ITS GLORY

PRAISE SHAFT

Daisuki worked fine for me too (using Firefox, if that makes a difference), though I'm still slightly irritated that the official Aniplex translations use "flub" instead of "stutter" for Mayoi's catchphrase, and spell Hitagi's last name as "Senjyogahara".

Genshiken S3

I'm really liking how the show looks now, since the first two seasons (or maybe it was just the first) looked kinda butt. Only problem I have is that I kind of don't remember what happened in the story other than a few of the main cast graduating, though that's more than likely due to my awful memory. Also the new voice cast is weird and scary, it'll take some getting used to. Hopefully the new cast of characters will bring enough entertainment to replace the not so prevalent former main cast.

cnet128

Banned
Hi guys. This is going to be my first post here*.

*: though I have been lurking, reading you for years. I know all your secrets...

Greetings, former lurker. I was in your shoes not so long ago.

Long have you silently judged us...now it is our turn to judge you.

What to say about the awaited continuation? Wait, it's easy. Composed of

Moe opening
Tits
Asses
'Curious' dialogue (I was about to say smart, then but I thought twice)
Spirits / ghosts
Modernist design with a tendency to use white + a strong color as palette
Lots and lots of short cuts
Short haircuts (ugh, they were better with long hair)

In other words, nothing new. Or, the expected, if you want want to see the glass half full.

I'll go with half full, on account of Monogatari being awesome.

I also have been watching HxH 2011 (best shonen series.... actually, it's basically the only shonen I like)

I see you have some taste.

Hataraku Maou-sama (good first five episodes, then it went meh)
Gargantia (I should have left the damn series after the third episode)

Then again, maybe not.

LordCanti

Monogatari Series Second Season ep 1

YES

IT'S BACK IN ALL ITS GLORY

PRAISE SHAFT

Daisuki worked fine for me too (using Firefox, if that makes a difference), though I'm still slightly irritated that the official Aniplex translations use "flub" instead of "stutter" for Mayoi's catchphrase, and spell Hitagi's last name as "Senjyogahara".

Yeah that....that made me want to hurt someone.

Episode was so damn good though.

Mr.Jeff

.hack//Sign End
Holy crap was that anticlimactic.
probably the most anticlimactic anime I have ever seen.
wow...
Well it sorted out most of the characters in the show right? It was meant to be a segue into the video game series anyway. That said, the only part I really remember was
the insane player getting turned into Skeith
which was rather neat since I played the games first. Some great music though.

Also, Happy Birthday RurouniZel

Why should they do something completely different? It's a working and succesful formula.

Yes, it has to screen in the Los Angeles area for at least seven consecutive days before the end of the calendar year (31st December) to be eligible for an Oscar nomination.

I'd have to say I think that Madoka would be unlikely to get an Oscar nomination; the Academy are likely to go with safer choices like From Up On Poppy Hill and (if it gets enough screenings) Wolf Children, and Wolf Children would probably deserve the nomination more (obviously I can't say for certain without seeing the final Madoka film!). Undoubtedly the rest of the category will be padded out with Monsters University, at least one out of The Croods and Turbo (probably the former), Frozen, and maybe another good foreign film like Ernest and Celestine if eligible.

Well, yeah. Wolf Children is more the typical Oscar movie.

It would be a nice thing to see an anime as part of the Oscar lineup again, would give the industry some fresh wind I guess.

YES! I unfortunately watched this anime long after the screenings of the first two. It's gonna be awesome seeing this on the big screen.

Theonik

Strike Witches 05

Breast title.
This was quite a great episode. With some amazing Perrine, Lucchini, Shirley and Hartman scenes. Also the rest of the cast. What can I say? I really liked this! Pretty :SDBurton and :Chet too.
At least 2-3x the usual amount of butts measuring at an impressive 100+
Edit: For more screenshots with some very NSFW ones people know where to look.

As long as there's Hidamari, Shaft will live on!
Hidamari is ending. RIP Shaft.

I see you have some taste.

Then again, maybe not.

Heh, if I make a list of series that I consider good and other with series I consider bad, I doubt anyone would coincide with me 100%. That would be too much to expect.

But I will put some of the series that I liked in the last years, to give some orientation:

Chihayafuru
Shingeki no Kyojin
Hunter x Hunter
Moyashimon Returns
Shinsekai Yori
Kyousogiga
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tsuritama
Fate Zero
Steins Gate
Mawaru Penguindrum
Ookiku Furikabutte