• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Gundam Evolve 3

Hahaha, Rain kicked Domon's ass. Man, this entire project should've been labeled "Why CG mecha are a bad idea."

cajunator

Banned
So I saw Mindgame recently and thought it was fucking amazing so could someone recommend me more stuff (movies or shows) along these guidelines...I still need to watch Cowboy Beebop, so I might do that

-adult stories (can star kids though, I really like Tekkonkinkreet)
-nothing set in highschool, unless its briefly, so tired of highschool drama schtick
-nothing crazy violent...I tried watching psycho pass, but it was way too much...occasional violence is okay, but I do not like a constant barrage of depraved sinister violence
-no fan service stuff...watching the first episode of highschool of the dead was just embarrassing, didnt even finish it
-Nothing Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/goofy hairstyles/power levels
-Nothing crazy long (I have been interested in Space Bros. but it looked really long)

Things Ive seen
-Death Note (amazing first season)
-Sword Art online (amazing first season, incredible really, watched the first episode of season 2 and it just undid everything that made the ending and story to the first compelling, so I pretend it doesnt exist and didnt watch it, actually one of my favorite animes Ive ever seen, but damn did that season 2 just undo everything if wikipedia summary is accurate)
-Samurai Champloo (outside of the fight scene animation, found it okay, not amazing)
-Gurren Lagaan (No idea why I like this, but there are so many FUCK YEAH moments that resonated throughout that it kept my attention and I really liked it...story went to crap second season though)
-All Satashi Kon, Miyazaki, and Ghibli stuff (love this stuff)
-Various anime films and shorts that I cant remember (I really like these because of the high quality animation)
-Currently watching attack on titan, but I have more fun making fun of it while drinking than actually watching it

Welcome! Im on my phone so Ill reply back to this at home.

Love Lab 1

It's like a strange cross between GJ-bu and Yuyushiki. That means I love it.

Summer season = best season.

That sounds like a hell of a great combination.

So I saw Mindgame recently and thought it was fucking amazing so could someone recommend me more stuff (movies or shows) along these guidelines...I still need to watch Cowboy Beebop, so I might do that

-nothing set in highschool, unless its briefly, so tired of highschool drama schtick
-nothing crazy violent...I tried watching psycho pass, but it was way too much...occasional violence is okay, but I do not like a constant barrage of depraved sinister violence
-no fan service stuff...watching the first episode of highschool of the dead was just embarrassing, didnt even finish it
-Nothing crazy long (I have been interested in Space Bros. but it looked really long)

Things Ive seen
-Sword Art online (amazing first season, incredible really, watched the first episode of season 2 and it just undid everything that made the ending and story to the first compelling, so I pretend it doesnt exist and didnt watch it, actually one of my favorite animes Ive ever seen, but damn did that season 2 just undo everything if wikipedia summary is accurate)
-Samurai Champloo (outside of the fight scene animation, found it okay, not amazing)
-Gurren Lagaan (No idea why I like this, but there are so many FUCK YEAH moments that resonated throughout that it kept my attention and I really liked it...story went to crap second season though)
-Various anime films and shorts that I cant remember (I really like these because of the high quality animation)
-Currently watching attack on titan, but I have more fun making fun of it while drinking than actually watching it

Evangelion
Kaiba
Serial Experiments Lain
Cowboy Bebop
Legend of Galactic Heroes (ok, this is crazy long, but worth it)
Tatami Galaxy
Mononoke
Dennu Coil
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Planetes
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
Monster
Haibane Renmei
Kemonozume
Gunslinger Girl
Gankutsou
Eve no Jikan

Kurita

Can't go wrong with Polar Bear Café and Space Brothers.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Things Ive seen

On top of the other recs

Night Raid 1931
Le Chevalier D'Eon
The Count of Monte Cristo
Voices of a Distant Star
Gunsmith Cats
Coyote Ragtime Show

sonicmj1

Things Ive seen

I'm going to guess by the types of shows you've said you enjoyed that you're not looking for comedy.

Definitely seek out Tatami Galaxy as soon as you can. It's also made by the director of Mindgame, and my understanding is that they're pretty similar thematically. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Steins;Gate is another story starring college-age protagonists, a kind of modern-day sci-fi thriller set in Akihabara, where a self-styled "mad scientist" accidentally creates a phone that can send emails back in time, entangling him in a conspiracy much larger than himself. It starts slowly, but I found myself really attached to the cast by the end. It involves turn-of-the-millenium internet oddity John Titor, so you know it's something special.

If you like some fuck-yeah, you can probably appreciate the recent Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series. It's a great story of good guys, mustache-twirling villainy, and brilliant fighting reversals of fortune. The voice cast is excellent all around. I had a lot of fun with it.

There's other good stuff out there, but that's a decent place to start. For stuff from the last 5 years that fits, I think Gargantia, Shin Sekai Yori, Trapeze, and Usagi Drop would also be good. For older shows, I'd also recommend Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei, and Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team.

Thoraxes

XH31riS.jpg

Ro Kyu Bu! SS - 01

diz s_whow wuz gud

grils wud shot loops n wuz <3 heatuped

lik dis if u cri evrytiem

Theonik

DTL. What have you done to Jarmel and why are you hacking his account?
image.php

A couple tidbits from the audience Q&A portion of the Production I.G panel earlier:
Amazing.

Oh, for the benefit of those people who are being sane and not watching Shingeki no Recap, the episode did have one redeeming feature:
Fine, I'll watch it.

I'm linking this because it sent me to the emergency room the first time I saw it.
Ok, this almost killed me. Too good.

Wish people would make me a banner for when I do impressions on a show. Ungrateful fuckers, all of you!
iiOHZAcpO5cl7.png

Hmmm...

Can I request a banner saying "Kirbyguy's Impression on DokiDoki Precure"?

Because I get the feeling I'll need it for ep 23, it's mellowing me out.

Go_Ly_Dow

So out of all the shows that have aired so far, is there anything that is:

1. Legitimately good

2. Terrible but funny (Valvrave)

So out of the loop and fishing through the thread for impressions is very time consuming!

Thanks

cajunator

Banned

1. Legitimately good

So out of the loop and fishing through the thread for impressions is very time consuming!

Thanks

Love lab appears legit.
as weird as that sounds.

1. Legitimately good

Thanks

1.Love Lab

2. Fuck if I know

Also, why is almost everything on Thursday/Saturday? The latter I can understand (middle of the weekend in Japan) but why the hell is such a large proportion of other shows on Thursday night?

Thats odd...I only have two anime thursday (naruto shippuden and majestic prince) ignoring the delaycast of Hakkenden...none on friday.

/XX/

Guess who else is throwing themselves into the 3DCG robot race? A-1 Pictures.
We should be thankful SUNRISE Inc., as a whole (and the GUNDAM franchise in particular) is too big to succumb completely to that:

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS &#12460;&#12531;&#12480;&#12512; &#12499;&#12523;&#12489;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12479;&#12540;&#12474; PV - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGA_xKm95zg

Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of surprise if he tells us in advance it won't be like what we expect?
I suppose the meat of the surprise is seeing into what it changes and how is that purportedly reached to make it interesting for the spectator, and not the presence of a change in itself...

So. Via liborek3 via duckroll, the final conclusion of "what exactly is the next form of the Magi anime" after all the varying S2/movie rumors/evidence is apparently...

...yes, it's definitely getting a second season, starting in October, same timeslot on Sundays as before.
Thats great...though Magi will be now be aniplex americas longest anime I think, wonder how it will be priced over here.

The other magi news I need is the Judar and Alibaba figures to be dated :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strawberry Panic 1

Halfway through. Bored. Also can't stand the Catholic (or as Catholic as you can get in Japan) school setting.

Dropped.

Theonik

C3 Club 01
izRzTVa5uoyd2.png

#TeamSenmetsu back in action
Not really feeling this, it does have some charm to it but a lot of it falls flat I think. Will stick with it for a couple more episodes to see what's up. Ending was promising.
Re: Designs
The colour design is still very bad in this show and I'm not sure if I'll get used to it but at least it looks OK in motion for the most part.

cajunator

Banned

Things Ive seen

Haibane Renmei
Kinos Journey
Last Exile
Gunsmith Cats
Riding Bean
Iria: Zeiram the animation
Allison and Lillia
Fate Zero
Steins Gate
Shangri La
ROD TV/OVA
Eden of the East