• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Cyclops Shoujo Saipu 11-12 END

cssaipu11.jpg

This was a dumb series and I honeslt ydon't know why I watched as much of it as I did. Oh well.

I don't know anything about the manga and I don't really care for it to be accurate to the volume covers if the volume covers are ugly.
I like the volume covers though. :(

Cyclops Shoujo Saipu 11-12 END

[I.MG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/cssaipu11.jpg[/IMG]

This was a dumb series and I honeslt ydon't know why I watched as much of it as I did. Oh well.

I like the volume covers though. :(

5 minute shows makes it easy to digest and forget.

Crocodile

Its not a Japanese thing. Its a poor and unimaginative writing thing. Twilight is basically a self-insert novel and the world ate that up.

Also, people being awesome is another facet of self-insert. They're generically awesome like Kirito.

Yeah, saying its a Japanese thing is kind of unfair and when I say "awesome" I should be more precise by saying "fully-realized, distinct and interesting". I feel there is usually an obvious difference between works written for the sake of self-insertion and works that aren't and those in the former category tend to annoy me more often than not.

Branduil

Also the only shows with no votes so far are Recorder and Randsell 2 and Rozen Maiden.

Odd, I'd have thought more people in here would be watching Rozen Maiden. I mean, I'm not, but still.

I'm going to try Rozen Maiden. Should be good for the first three episodes at least.

I liked Linkin Park when I was like 13.

Rozen Maiden is like the anime equivalent to that.

That analogy makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Pirabear

Banned
Ogiue, Madarame, Kanako, Kuchiki, and Saki are back in what appear to be major roles. Sadly, they're all recast. No more Gai Shishioh/Shiro Amada as Madarame. :|

My hotblooded otaku prince...

Well, glad to hear the rest though. Was more of a manga reader that watched the anime as a supplement anyway.

Branduil

A Better Tomorrow

This was a nice short film with some great cuts of animation in the later half of it. Definitely worth checking out as its only 12 minutes long.

Well, that looks much more promising than this did:

chara02.jpg

Well, at least he can always say he's better than Rob Liefeld.

Articalys

Isn't Madarame a lot less intense in Nidaime anyway though? Not saying I wouldn't prefer Hiyama in the role again too, but I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal... with him, at least.

Then again, I haven't watched either of the original seasons in forever, so what do I know.

Fun fact: did you realize Hiyama has voiced two separate characters with the name Madarame, in Genshiken and in Bleach?

Branduil

[Aim For The Top 2! Diebuster] 6 (Rewatch)

The perfect anime ending.
So perfect they had to use it twice!

Ultimately my opinions about the show didn't change from what I already pondered back in episode five. I think it's telling that the best moments of this finale were those were the script was ripping off Gunbuster. The original ideas for the show are there, but they are simply not expanded upon enough for me to latch to any of that material from an emotional standpoint.

I don't think this is a bad show, but it needed to find an identity and not try to juggle so much at the same time. It tries to do stuff to distance itself from the original material, particularly with the character of L'alc and the concept of being a Topless, but at the same it tries to adhere to the formula of giant space opera that worked so well in Gunbuster and suffering because it doesn't have the campiness to pull it off --or, at the very least, it needed to be a one cour show that could freely explore both sides of the experience. As it stands, Diebuster is a nice-looking draft of what a Gunbuster sequel could do, but it lacks the HARD WORK AND GUTS to truly be something special. 3 out of 5 Nonoriris

An inconsistent show with flashes of greatness sounds like the perfect sequel to Gunbuster to me.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 6

Even the guns in this show look sexy as fuck.

Cool that we get to see more into Eugenie's life. Not exactly the most...healthy family dynamic.

LVtsSzi.gif

You feel that? That's your spine getting chilled and your ears getting straight up sexed. God I love the Count's English VA.

The Count is such a fucking player. I really wanna see what is big plans are.

I can't tell if this CGI is awkward or if it fits.

Oh shit does this little love triangle
go both ways with the Count's Doll too? Damn

CYBORG HORSE NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

Hattori

Banned
Since everyone seems to be watching this show, I thought I would try it out.

Hattori's First impressions: Ojamajo Doremi

Pirikapiri Lala Poporila Peperuto!

The animation reminds me of the early days of One Piece, the faces are funny and expressive. The show is very quirky and doesn't take itself seriously. I'm going to watch a couple more episodes to see if I still like it, but so far it's not too bad.

BsdVuIf.png

Karneval OPUS 12 The Niji''s Promise
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so1_250.gif
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so2_250.gif
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so4_r1_250.gif

That was an incredible episode, assault on the Misty Mansion, the music (the song that played during the action scene is a must have), and then how did Nai's scene making it feel as if it was the final episode and would leave us on a huge "go read the manga now" type of cliffhanger made it seem pretty intense and heavy. The original source writer does action scenes well. The goddesses of circus, the varuga, my bumbling antagonists and more, I really couldnt find anything to dislike here.
I hope Gareki ultimately chooses to stay. Yogi being there and seeing made it feel more emotional when I just started to think of if he left. Im quite sure he could make contributions, like they said studying, stealing, and technology stuff since he has no magic like they do. I hope he kind of doesnt get it
. Tsukumo's attack was impressive in both appearance and scale.

cajunator

Banned
Aiura 12

Fuuuuck its over!

A show short on words, but luckily pictures thighs/butts are worth a 1000 words.

aira.jpg

buma.jpg

sumer.jpg

holy boobas!

And holy butt.

iEHqFiFktnRqk.gif

This makes a 9th inning win of :chickdigger of the season in my books.

Aiura is the best show that I blinked and missed.

Hmmm....will watch.
it looks not great but something I could enjoy if its not too stupid.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I am soooooooooooo sorry, man. I am really. Forgive me :(

Its not a great game anyway.

CorvoSol

I could go with this:

But I want dat Trainer x Samus OTP.

Wii Fit Trainer is the best addition to the Smash Brothers franchise since ever.

Well Attack on Titan is still ongoing, and I guess DokiDoki Precure counts too but ECK

Lies. Attack on Titan would have to actually be going before it could be ongoing.

Big O 4 Dub

I heard complaints that season 2 takes a turn for the strange, I'm not sure what to make of that considering how strange season 1 already is. I still can't figure out which part of the show I like better, the noir negotiator stuff in the first half or the big robot fights in the second half. They still feel like two separate parts that just happen to segue into the other, like those old hack job dub animes of the past.

Season 2 is a healthy and delicious experience. It is savory and juicy, you might say.

I'm not a fan of Big O, but I at least recall liking this episode.

What you are saying makes total sense.

Even the guns in this show look sexy as fuck.

Cool that we get to see more into Eugenie's life. Not exactly the most...healthy family dynamic.

The Count is such a fucking player. I really wanna see what is big plans are.

I can't tell if this CGI is awkward or if it fits.

Oh shit does this little love triangle
go both ways with the Count's Doll too? Damn

CYBORG HORSE NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

The Count's voice literally seduces 90% of the female cast plus Albert. The only girls who don't fall for him are
Eugenie and Valentine.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuyushiki - 11

Yuyushiki - 12 [END]

While it may had a few stumbles during its run, overall this was very enjoyable and I hold it to be one of the better shows that aired this season. A nice, slice of life where you can just kick back and enjoy the mindless fun and yuri. Here's hoping for a miracle that regardless of their sales they'll get greenlit for a second season, I don't want the gang to go away. ;_;

Savior of the Garden for the Spring Season: I give this
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of 5

Branduil

Wuh? I actually read this LN a long time ago.

The concept is alot funnier than the execution itself. Its something you'd come up with while drunk and talking to your friends about the dumbest stories you could make up.

Its a generic harem romcom with the stupid caveat of the dude being forced to always make two seemingly random choices.

They should make a Choose Your Own Adventure anime.

It figures that a new thread is made and is already 10 pages in before I get home from work.

Anyways, I'm in for Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLLYA and Nepnep.

Actually, I've been anticipating that one day an anime of PRISMA☆ILLLYA would be made ever since I randomly read the manga more than a year ago now.

Branduil

I actually totally posted about this in the last thread, but no one seemed to have noticed. I'll repost it here.

---------------------------------

By the way, speaking of new season announcements, ultimatemegax recently wrote up a short piece explaining why a third season of Haruhi hasn't shown up and still won't be in the cards for a long time to come (long story short, it's because Nagaru Tanigawa isn't producing a steady stream of content to promote, though KyoAni's changes are a smaller factor as well).

http://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/the-reasoning-behind-a-lack-of-haruhi-s3/

edit: OH COME ON WHAT THE HELL -- ah, fuck it.

That was a fascinating article.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 2

lol domestic violence.

How does Doremi's friend not know that witch Doremi is Doremi? How long before she becomes a witch too?

cajunator

Banned
Hentai ouji - 11

This episode was full of cute that would make cajun go into heart attack ...
BUT what the heck was this story ?

WHAT
THE HECK
?

Why does a serie called "hentai ouji " as such a awesome delivery in term of story ?

10/10 can't wait for ep 12

Just finished watching this episode and Im still alive! Somehow....
I might have to marathon henneko because the story goes a lot deeper than I was expecting. I have the gist of it though.

also caught up to Gargantia. Its Butch gen all right.

also watched latest muromi which was one big boob fetish scene. Didnt like that episode at all.

CorvoSol

Ditto. Didn't even watch the latest episode. Don't really care at this point.

I don't know why I keep tuning in other than that I hate not finishing things. AoT and MJP are on the drop plate, though. MJP only survived last week because it made a Betterman reference.

Just finished watching this episode and Im still alive! Somehow....
I might have to marathon henneko because the story goes a lot deeper than I was expecting. I have the gist of it though.

also caught up to Gargantia. Its Butch gen all right.

also watched latest muromi which was one big boob fetish scene. Didnt like that episode at all.

Well done managing to stay alive !! How does it feel ? is your adrenaline levels high ?

Next episode will certainly be something to remember

Dog Days - 11

Well that wasn't much of a problem.

Demon goes down easily in the first half, the rest is just clearing stuff up, and everyone being happy.

The concert scene was nice, I liked how the princess had that shocked expression on her face while she was singing. All in all, there was good animation, but that was a pretty anti-climatic battle.

Two more episodes then I'll give this show a rest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
re: the Blood Lad color palette thing: I'm okay with it. It's evocative of the colors used in blacklight-responsive Halloween decorations, and given the show's subject matter and low-rent monster movie aesthetic elements, I feel like it works. To each his own, of course.

cajunator

Banned
Karneval OPUS 12 The Niji''s Promise
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so1_250.gif
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so2_250.gif
tumblr_morghzhESE1rvva9so4_r1_250.gif

That was an incredible episode, assault on the Misty Mansion, the music (the song that played during the action scene is a must have), and then how did Nai's scene making it feel as if it was the final episode and would leave us on a huge "go read the manga now" type of cliffhanger made it seem pretty intense and heavy. The original source writer does action scenes well. The goddesses of circus, the varuga, my bumbling antagonists and more, I really couldnt find anything to dislike here.
I hope Gareki ultimately chooses to stay. Yogi being there and seeing made it feel more emotional when I just started to think of if he left. Im quite sure he could make contributions, like they said studying, stealing, and technology stuff since he has no magic like they do. I hope he kind of doesnt get it
. Tsukumo's attack was impressive in both appearance and scale.

Ive no idea what this show is about but its pretty colorful and nice looking.

It figures that a new thread is made and is already 10 pages in before I get home from work.

Anyways, I'm in for Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLLYA and Nepnep.

Actually, I've been anticipating that one day an anime of PRISMA☆ILLLYA would be made ever since I randomly read the manga more than a year ago now.

Isnt Prisma ilya delayed?
Neptunia will be absolutely glorious though!

The Count is such a fucking player.

There's people who think of themselves as the Original Gangster, but then there's The Count, the Original OG. Dapper as fuck. No, wait, scratch that. He's more than dapper, the man is straight up debonair!

cajunator

Banned
Well done managing to stay alive !! How does it feel ? is your adrenaline levels high ?

Next episode will cetrainly be something to remember

I struggled but my power level is extremely high. I dont even have to hide it like certain shitty protagonists.

You're breaking my heart.

Sorry bud. This is one of the places we fundamentally disagree on.

Cajun's thing is when someone's eyes are further apart than their shoulders.

I kid, I kid.

You silly raven
*hugs Corvy kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom