• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
CURSES.

So all the love that Prisma Ilya is getting, combined with my own inability to resist delicious loli goodness, just prompted me to finally try obtaining Fate/Stay Night so I can get that shit played already. However:

ROADBLOCK THE FIRST: lol you don't have enough space on your Vita for that game

"Okay, that's fine," I think. "I'll just transfer some Vita games to my PS3 to make room."

ROADBLOCK THE SECOND: lol dude you can't transfer stuff to your PS3 without installing a PS3 SYSTEM UPDATE

"Okay, that's fine," I think. "I have a pretty good Internet connection now, the update won't take that long."

So I perform a PS3 system update. I was right, it didn't take THAT long. Relatively speaking. Then I had to perform the actual process of transferring the games across, which also took a fair little while (gigabytes and USB aren't the best of friends), but it wasn't too much of an ordeal.

"Now back to the PlayStation Store on my Vita to get dat Fate/Stay Night!" I tell myself. But of course...

ROADBLOCK THE THIRD: Not enough funds in your Japanese PSN wallet, bitch! You only gots 1,140 yens! You need 5,250 of them!

"Okay, that's fine," I think. "It's annoying that I can't just add funds using my German credit card, like I can on my Japanese 3DS and my Japanese Wii U, but Play-Asia make it pretty easy to purchase digital PSN funds. It's a bit of a pain, but I guess I'll go and buy some now."

But before I even work up the effort to do this, I notice the final and most evil...

ROADBLOCK THE FOURTH: There's a notice on the Fate/Stay Night page on the Vita PlayStation Store. It says... "Between the 11th and the 31st of July 2013, Fate/stay night [Realta Nua] will be reduced in price from ¥5250 to ¥3990."

"Well, fuck," I say to myself. "There's no way in hell I can justify buying this today now."

And so that's the end of that story. ~.~

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kiniro Mosaic - 01

g3SmiC4.png

ZBg2vg7.png

PAsVUTz.png

There are few, and I mean few, shows out there that can have such a strong effect on me with their first episode. Kiniro Mosaic managed to be one of them. Like, if they just stuck with them being little kids during Shinobu's homestay trip throughout the course of its run and used the second half as a final episode I would've been a crying mess
(when Shinobu was yelling "hello" while Alice was yelling "konnichiwa" as the former was being driven away, that was some heart wrenching goodness
). Like, this episode felt like an hour and in a good way. It was enjoyable seeing Shinobu's friendly and energetic personality clash against Alice's shy nature upon their first meeting and over time the latter
eventually opening up to her.
The baking, the sakura baths, the cute miscommunication and language swaps made this episode such a sweet pleasure to watch. What a delightful treat.

As it stands:

Kiniro Mosaic > Love Lab > C3-Bu > Going Home Club

Nafe

Sailor Moon Stars 174:

this is why men cannot become magical girls. Sorry, Ban-kun, but it's for the best. I mean, I thought I'd seen the worst when
he attacked with his own fucking sweat
, but..........I couldn't have even fathomed that
GENTLE UTERUS
was around the corner.

Yeah, this monster was a bit weird.

Ha! I never noticed that either! Haha!

Kiniro Mosaic - 01

There are few, and I mean few, shows out there that can have such a strong effect on me with their first episode. Kiniro Mosaic managed to be one of them. Like, if they just stuck with them being little kids during Shinobu's homestay trip throughout the course of its run and used the second half as a final episode I would've been a crying mess
(when Shinobu was yelling "hello" while Alice was yelling "konnichiwa" as the former was being driven away, that was some heart wrenching goodness
). Like, this episode felt like an hour and in a good way. It was enjoyable seeing Shinobu's friendly and energetic personality clash against Alice's shy nature upon their first meeting and over time the latter
eventually opening up to her.
The baking, the sakura baths, the cute miscommunication and language swaps made this episode such a sweet pleasure to watch. What a delightful treat.

As it stands:

Kiniro Mosaic > Love Lab > C3-Bu > Going Home Club

I could potentially flip Love Lab with Kiniro Mosiac, but it doesn't bother me enough to really care, this is probably how I'd rate it myself with those standings, with GHC being close to chopping block material.

*looks up Gentle Uterus*

Musicals

This attack was first used in order to destroy Sailor Buttress in the musical Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.
I'm dying laughing and I am legitimately crying tears from laughing

Monogatari
Free
Teekyu
Stella
Unchouten Kazoku
(Watamote)
(Silver Spoon)
(Gatchaman)

I don't remember that I ever watched so many shows of a season. Not sure why people are calling it the worst season for years or something - I guess I have just bad taste.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari
Free
Teekyu
Stella
Unchouten Kazoku
(Watamote)
(Silver Spoon)
(Gatchaman)

I don't remember that I ever watched so many shows of a season. Not sure why people are calling it the worst season for years or something - I guess I have just bad taste.

The people calling this a bad season are just crazy and/or wrong. It's a great season.

The thing that pains me most about this season is that I'm watching so many series I will not have any time for things like eating and sleeping.

The people calling this a bad season are just crazy and/or wrong. It's a great season.

The thing that pains me most about this season is that I'm watching so many series I will not have any time for things like eating and sleeping.

It doesn't have the top tier quality shows, but it has some depth, enough that I need to make some decisions on shows to drop because I'm interested in too many of them.

Then again, there are quite a number of ugly shows this season, it's certainly not a visual showcase.

CorvoSol

Gundam Evolve 4

This one focused on the Dendrobium. A stupid mobile armor for Gundams that I only ever saw in Stardust Memory. Its big, unwieldy, and carries and wastes so many missiles I shudder to think how this victory could not be considered "pyrrhic." Mobile armors are dumb.

• Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 01
Walk, don't run!

Hey it's "People die if they are killed" Shirou Emiya. I can excuse his existence if Saber shows up at some point.
Eh, I guess Saber does.

wahaha engrish at the airport. Being meguca is suffering, amirite

This is pretty bizarre not having watched all of Fate/stay night. Should I know these people? And their history?
and their bullshit?
Some of them, yes, but Luvia is a pretty minor character outside of this series, and did not appear in Fate/Stay Night. Miyu is a new character. Iliya and Rin you probably know, if you know much about Fate/Stay Night... though these versions of them are definitely not the same as those.

aww yiss flying fight sequences. This is what I was waiting for! -- CG staves. well thennnn...
This series should have plenty of fight sequences. Hopefully they're all as good as this one!

and here's our obligatory bath scene. OH GAHHH SHIROU PLEASE LEAVE THIS SHOW FOREVER
Fortunately he appears rarely.

Illya's just seen Madoka, is all.
Yeah, likely.

SISCON NOOOOOoooooo
I know I'm repeating myself, but Japan's obesssion with incest is bizarre and not okay. It's not the worst thing in anime, but it's not good. At least in this series Illya is sane and doesn't actually want to go anywhere with her stupid badly conceived anime incest feelings.

Shirou is at best a minor character in this show. Most of his appearances are little more than cameos, thank God. Saber will appear in this show. To say more than that is spoilers.
I don't think I mentioned this in my review, but I think episode 1 had too much Shirou in it. I don't remember if he appeared that much in the beginning of the manga, but hopefully the rest of the anime is more like most of the manga, where he only makes quite rare appearances. Shirou is, after all, one of the worst characters in mainstream anime/manga... but he's mostly tolerable here, maybe because of how little he actually says. I hope it stays that way.

It helps if you have have watched or read Fate/Stay night because the show assumes familiarity with the characters as it's an alternate-universe spinoff. Several characters are actually from Fate/Hollow ataraxia and I wasn't familiar with them at all. But it's not mandatory, exactly.
Yeah, some of the characters are major ones (Rin, Illya, Shirou), others minor and only from sub-series, and a few are new.

That bathroom sequence is amusing if you're read the manga. They did not make any attempt at all to tone down the loli fanservice, if for no other reason than to sell more BDs I guess!
Amusing? How? I've read all of the manga that's been released so far. All it was was overly long, too fanservicey, and somewhat creepy. Sure, some of Ruby's lines were funny (as I said in my review, she's such a troll!), but not the visuals.

survivor

Banned

Well this season so far is decent. Out of the 3 shows I picked up, none of them turned out to be mediocre. Now the only thing left is for Gatchaman to be good and then this season will be elevated to great tier.

I think it's easier to list what I'm not watching:

Free
Those other fujoushi pandering shows
Kingdom
Kamisama no Loli Abuse
Fate Illya Mahou Shojo thing
Fantasista Doll
Going Home Club
Rozen Maiden
Dog Scissors
Ugly Ass Sengoku DEEN show
Tamayura
Rozen Maiden

I don't even particularly like this season more than any other, but it just happened.

This season has danganronpa, it cannot be bad.

Dresden

tbd:

gatchaman crowds
silver spoon
uchuten kazoku

will watch:

love lab
rozen maiden

tentative:

free!
c3-bu

dropped:

monogatari

Articalys

This is what I'm still watching so far:

- grimdark magical girls
- otaku comedy
- loli abuse action/drama
- cute girls doing cute things
- cute girls doing hilariously stupid things
- NISIO
- office comedy
- cute girls shooting each other with airsoft guns
- SATOJUN HEALING

Plus I'm still not sure if I should continue with Dangan or wait until I can play the game, and then there's still coming up Silver Spoon, Watamote, Gatchaman, maybe Neptunia... a lot of this I probably don't need to watch right away when it airs, but...

Suppose if I need to I can drop Genshiken Nidaime since I've read the manga, then maybe SxS if it gets too dull and Kaminai if it doesn't have enough action, but it's not like I have anything better to do with my life right now...

Christ, how did things get to the point where I potentially could have FIFTEEN new shows from one season...

Defuser

Blood Lad

Only thing interesting about this show is Ryota Osaka which he pretty much uses his Maou personality with a twist for this show.

If it makes you feel better, the gap between Gifuu Doudou and the other two is like a chasm. The other two pretty much have one episode left for my tolerance, but Gifuu Doudou will need to take more unless the next couple episodes are horrendously bad.

CorvoSol

Gundam Evolve 5

The animation has improved dramatically, as well as the art style. This episode is an alternate (worse) end to Char's Counter Attack. I say worse because in this one Amuro magically ditches his mission to save the world to instead save Quess Paraya. Quess, for those unfamiliar with the movies, is a snotty bitch who basically betrays everyone and acts like a selfish brat right up until the end of the movie.

Let me tell you that Zeta era Gundam brought a lot of awful women to the series. Ensign Rekkua Londe, who starts strong and ends a hot mess. Fa Yuiry who doesn't cease being awful until ZZ. Beltachika, who tries to steal Kamille's Gundam and force Amuro into it, as well as being a naggy bitch to Mirai. Sarah, who only knew the words "Master" and "Paptimus." The only good women in Zeta were basically Rosamy, Lt. Emma, Four, and of course Haman Khan.

Quess Paraya is the worst girl in UC Gundam. She's only spared the title of worst woman in the Gundam series because I'm unsure if Tieria Arde and Ribbons Hallmark were women or not.

Quess might not be THE WORST in the series, but she is definitely awful and the focus on her is a large part of why Char's Counter Attack wasn't that great of a movie.

Fantasia Doll 1

Really enjoyed this a lot more then I was expecting to, kind of a cross between Card Captors, Yu Gi Oh, and Digimon Tamers. The action was good, music really set the mood well, and the art is gorgeous.

Articalys

My biggest problem with a heavily-story-focused -- specifically, MYSTERY story focused -- game-to-anime adaptation like Danganronpa is that, if I were playing the game, I could pace it and do, say, a chapter every few days, and that would be a good balance for me between not rushing through the game but still being able to satisfy my need to find out what happens next. In anime form you're forced to wait a whole week between episodes whether you like it or not -- I mean, I guess I could wait and marathon it later at my leisure, but spoilers would be virtually impossible to avoid by that point probably...

The bigger concern for me is that the Danganronpa anime adaptation looks pretty terrible. I'd suggest just playing the game if it's an option.

Localization announcement meant that I wouldn't be touching Danganronpa TV with a stick of decent length.

I'll check it out after I play the game, I can still enjoy the anime after I've played the game if the animation and voice acting are good, I won't be able to enjoy the game if I already know the solutions to the puzzles.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, the original Precures had PRECURE RAINBOW THERAPY too! I guess all these magical girls just need therapy. Come to think of it, that might have come in useful in Madoka, huh...

Is this about
Star Gentle Uterus
? ~.~ *hasn't seen Sailor Moon but knows that attack name by reputation*

Lol I always thought that was a weird name too.

I think that picture is actually part of an ongoing Pixiv contest to design a moe mascot for Orangina.

http://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=1667

edit: yeah, here's the pixiv page for that entry: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=36920151

This is pretty awesome. Reminds me of Arancia project.

Fantasista Doll 1
So this is like FSN, except the lead is female and she has a harem of servants. It's way more fanservice oriented that I was expecting. Saber clone is probably of interest to some here, and it'll probably have plenty of yuri if the ED is any indicator, but I don't think I'll watch anymore.

• Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist 01

So we start out episode with

what. WHAT. :I

I know the Japanese aren't all that familiar with Judeo-Christian stuff, but having a guy named Solomon be some kind of androgynous king bro getting all yaoi with some demon dude is a little.... jarring to say the least.

It's also telling when they deliberately paint the believing dude as being pretty delusional.
even though in the context of the universe he'll be right anyway

The animation here seems pretty weak, too.
i7PY0Qg.gif

That door broke incredibly conveniently. And man, this protagonist is highly unlikable so far. And of course the high demon lord is absolutely pathetic, unless he doesn't want to be. sigh.

Seriously, at this point when everything logical is just falling apart I would just roll with the punches.

And now they're name dropping all these demon names from the Key of Solomon like it makes them so cultured or something. That's not what Nephilim are--- okay I just need to turn off my brain for this show.

These fight sequences are pretty cool, though.

Wait what makes him so unique?! He's just a whiny shounen idiot who doesn't give two craps about anything.

Terrible. Just terrible.
lh4FHcD.png

How's your knee?

Better thanks to it being wrapped up but it still hurts a lot when I try to move. The last time my knee popped out it was my right knee and it popped back into place when I fell, this time it was my left knee and it stayed popped out for almost 2 hours. I still can't put any weight at all on my left foot without it searing in pain which makes it much harder to move around even on crutches. You don't realize how much your knees bend when you do anything until you lose one of them.

I've pretty much propped myself up a make shift bed downstairs so I only really have to move a little distance to go to the fridge or the bathroom. Trying to go up or down stairs is easily the biggest nightmare in the world, going up is especially difficult because it's hard to get back up on my crutches without me left leg searing in pain. My parents are of course out of state and my room mates have all been gone for the weekend so I've been kind of SOL in terms of getting any help. Now's been a decent time to catch up on anime/manga/games as I can't really do much of anything.

Narag

Better thanks to it being wrapped up but it still hurts a lot when I try to move. The last time my knee popped out it was my right knee and it popped back into place when I fell, this time it was my left knee and it stayed popped out for almost 2 hours. I still can't put any weight at all on my left foot without it searing in pain which makes it much harder to move around even on crutches. You don't realize how much your knees bend when you do anything until you lose one of them.

I've pretty much propped myself up a make shift bed downstairs so I only really have to move a little distance to go to the fridge or the bathroom. Trying to go up or down stairs is easily the biggest nightmare in the world, going up is especially difficult because it's hard to get back up on my crutches without me left leg searing in pain. My parents are of course out of state and my room mates have all been gone for the weekend so I've been kind of SOL in terms of getting any help. Now's been a decent time to catch up on anime/manga/games as I can't really do much of anything.

Yeesh. Remembered to check your thread after I asked and saw you avoided surgery so that's good at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom