• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm repeating myself, but Japan's obesssion with incest is bizarre and not okay. It's not the worst thing in anime, but it's not good. At least in this series Illya is sane and doesn't actually want to go anywhere with her stupid badly conceived anime incest feelings.

In the Fate/ universe, Illya and Shirou aren't actually related. Remember that SPOILERS
Shirou was adopted by Kiritsugu after he was found barely alive
and as such it's not actually incest.

I don't think I mentioned this in my review, but I think episode 1 had too much Shirou in it. I don't remember if he appeared that much in the beginning of the manga, but hopefully the rest of the anime is more like most of the manga, where he only makes quite rare appearances. Shirou is, after all, one of the worst characters in mainstream anime/manga... but he's mostly tolerable here, maybe because of how little he actually says. I hope it stays that way.

I remember the manga fairly well, and I recall that Shirou appears a lot early on because of his interactions with Illya and establishing that she's a brocon. But then he mostly goes away, thankfully.

Amusing? How? I've read all of the manga that's been released so far. All it was was overly long, too fanservicey, and somewhat creepy. Sure, some of Ruby's lines were funny (as I said in my review, she's such a troll!), but not the visuals.

Amusing because there was speculation that they would tone down the loli fanservice for the anime, which they absolutely didn't do. At all. I was just sitting there laughing at how shameless it all was and also realizing they'll probably sell a lot of BDs, which means the longer and better second manga series 2wei! might get animated. We can only hope.

There's a loli-french-kissing scene in 2wei! Tee hee.

Now that I have returned from Anime Expo and gained access to something that can actually play videos...

What actually looks good for the summer?

AnimeGAF is really bad at surprises. Remember when the School Days trolling was fun? Then it got to the point where everyone would snicker at every mention of School Days and it turned into blatant trolling.

We need to work on our subtlety.

Subtlety and AnimeGAF can only ever be mentioned in the same sentence if it is about the complete lack of it. It's not ever going to change.

cjkeats

School Days is better when you know things turn out badly.

I have to disagree, I watched it before I ever set foot in an anime forum, I just thought it sounded like something I'd like when I saw it on Crunchyroll. I can;t imagine having as much fun with it knowing about it going in.

I typically avoid VN-based adaptations for the actual VN, which includes School Days.

Why I bought School Days in the first place is something I can't comprehend personally, but it seems that the surprise at the end seems overblown.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have to disagree, I watched it before I ever set foot in an anime forum, I just thought it sounded like something I'd like when I saw it on Crunchyroll. I can;t imagine having as much fun with it knowing about it going in.
I dunno, the first eps are boring enough as it is but when things start to develop you're looking for the various cues and hints.

AnimeGAF is really bad at surprises. Remember when the School Days trolling was fun? Then it got to the point where everyone would snicker at every mention of School Days and it turned into blatant trolling.

There's a portion of AnimeGAF that just wants to see other people freak out at the "crazy shocks" of certain shows. They're not in the business of subtlety.

Blood Lad 1
For those familiar with the manga, does the female lead become more active or compelling? Right now she might as well just be a doll with large breasts, an object for Blood Lad to protect.

The things super relevant to her are pretty compelling, but her as a character? Not really.

However, there are definitely some great central female characters in Blood Lad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Animegaf is anything but subtle.

Oh, I wanted to ask - are there any Gintama movie spoilers floating around? The movie came out this weekend didn't it?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
High School DxD Special - 03

KAjnYMR.png

faints_zpsae78a2c2.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I got School Days spoiled for me back in like 2007, but I still found it entertaining when I watched it. Still almost certainly would have had more of an impact if I went in fresh, even if reading between the lines in the last few episodes makes everything obvious anyway.

wonzo

Banned
I typically avoid VN-based adaptations for the actual VN, which includes School Days.

Why I bought School Days in the first place is something I can't comprehend personally, but it seems that the surprise at the end seems overblown.
The School Days anime is like a mishmash of the various different
bad
endings all thrown into one so it's totally worth checking out.

Sane people just youtubed the ending.
That's what I did.
"...Now if you're skipping to the ending of School Days, you will never in a trillion years experience the series. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen School Days by skipping to the fucking ending. Get real."
- David Lynch on School Days

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"...Now if you're skipping to the ending of School Days, you will never in a trillion years experience the series. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen School Days by skipping to the fucking ending. Get real."
Peter Weir has also said as much.

Chronoexe

High school Dxd new - 01

It feel a little rushed, its ok the Kiba arc is meh, childhood friend and Xenobia are here wooooooooooooo, and there's more oppai than I remember wooooooooooooooo.

The OP is ok...

YEES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

and the ED... I was expecting more hipnobutt ;__;

High school Dxd new - 01
High school dxd is back !
Oppai : check
Fanservice :check

Now they have added some darkness in it

I have to admit , this is my least enjoyable part of the book that they are adapting but it's a necessary evil for the rest seeing as we'll have 4 bigs events that will lead the rest of the story afterwards , so i won't say much more and enjoy the story.

For someone uptodate with the book it's sad to see the Mc so weak , however.

The opening animation was alright.. the ending animation was great , but it's not as catchy as the first season opening...oh well

Yes weak Issei feels weird, also we are not going to see
the second Rating Game, the training with Tannin and the juggernaut drive, why all the good things are in the vol 5 ;__;

Im going to start praying for a third season, if Queen's blade made it, there a chance for more DXD

Now that I have returned from Anime Expo and gained access to something that can actually play videos...

What actually looks good for the summer?

I rather like Rozen Maiden.

I don't think I'm experiencing it, and I don't want to experience it. I don't see anything of value in it besides the "shock" factor.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Stars 176:

Seiya is just Mamoru with a loooooong rat tail.

hahahahaha the
Sailor Starlights
only get
still shot transformation sequences

Seiya suddenly becomes way less ripped as Star Fighter. huh...well the show is still skirting around whether or not they're actually biologically male when they're not transformed. Those damned unisex gym clothes.

zeroshiki

It's a terrible show and a terrible property. I don't applaud the staff for going meta and doing that ending because they made the show in the first place. The show is trite, has dumb characters and treats the viewers like crap. To top it all of, the shock ending leaves you not really happy but hollow. Like, the realization that nearly 7 hours of your life has been spent on this shit.

I played the game and got all the ending , heck i even have 3 copies ( 2 sealed )

What does that make me ?

High school Dxd new - 01

It feel a little rushed, its ok the Kiba arc is meh, childhood friend and Xenobia are here wooooooooooooo, and there's more oppai than I remember wooooooooooooooo.

The OP is ok...

YEES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

and the ED... I was expecting more hipnobutt ;__;

Yes weak Issei feels weird, also we are not going to see
the second Rating Game, the training with Tannin and the juggernaut drive, why all the good things are in the vol 5 ;__;

Im going to start praying for a third season, if Queen's blade made it, there a chance for more DXD

Indeed the things i really want are in season 3,4& 5..heck the real fun starts at vol 5

Still gasper finally arrive and vali will have his glorious arrival ..so it's not that bad.
If everything goes well , we'll have the pool episode at the end of this season.

In the Fate/ universe, Illya and Shirou aren't actually related. Remember that SPOILERS
Shirou was adopted by Kiritsugu after he was found barely alive
and as such it's not actually incest.
Yeah, yeah. Anime uses that excuse all the time. It's bad and flawed, though. What actually matters for siblings is whether they grew up together from a young age.
Whether they are related or not is much less important. Anime/manga always ignores this fact, that even if they're unrelated people who grow up from a young age as siblings have the same lack of sexual interest in their non-blood-related siblings than they do blood-related ones, because it would be inconvenient, but it's reality.

I remember the manga fairly well, and I recall that Shirou appears a lot early on because of his interactions with Illya and establishing that she's a brocon. But then he mostly goes away, thankfully.
Ah. So yeah, he should appear a lot less starting soon.
I remember one side-story chapter where it established that most of the cast are all in love with him, but the main serieses, all three of them, don't mention that much at all.
That is very much for the best. It'd have been even better if this time they DIDN'T love Shirou, but if they must, at least have him never appear so we can try to forget about it.

Amusing because there was speculation that they would tone down the loli fanservice for the anime, which they absolutely didn't do. At all. I was just sitting there laughing at how shameless it all was and also realizing they'll probably sell a lot of BDs, which means the longer and better second manga series 2wei! might get animated. We can only hope.

There's a loli-french-kissing scene in 2wei! Tee hee.
Ah, I see. Yeah, they didn't tone it down, at all. I think they even expanded on it. You are probably right that that will mean better sales, sadly enough.

As for 2wei, it's more than twice as long as the first series, so it'd take a longer number of episodes... it definitely is better though, yeah.
Kuro's actions are a bit overdone at times, but she has some amusing moments, and adds a bit of seriousness to the plot too, once they get into her story.
I'm finding 3rei very interesting too. It's very different in tone
and setting
from the first two series, but it's at least as good, or better, so far at least.
Stupid Ainsworths...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon Stars 176:

Seiya suddenly becomes way less ripped as Star Fighter. huh...well the show is still skirting around whether or not they're actually biologically male when they're not transformed. Those damned unisex gym clothes.
You see one shirtless. Male body.

Yeah, the reason you get upset about people talking about School Days is because you look down on the show without even seeing it yourself.

I already know the director is quite bad and I haven't seen anyone praise the show for anything besides the fact that it has crazy stuff happen. I know "so bad it's good" things have a strong following around here, but that's not really my style.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Journey > Destination
I already know the director is quite bad and I haven't seen anyone praise the show for anything besides the fact that it has crazy stuff happen. I know "so bad it's good" things have a strong following around here, but that's not really my style.
But School Days is genuinely good apart from the first two episodes where shit nothing happens.

Tenumi

Banned
I watched School Days way back in June of 2011. Finished it in 4 days. Knew what I was getting into.

God, I'm watching too much anime this season:

C3-bu
Free!
Love Lab
Majestic Prince
-monogatari
Silver Spoon
Symphogear G
Watamote

Plus Toonami!

I know that feeling. Although admitedly, it is fun watching My Anime List fill up its watching portion. 12 series currently with lots more to come...

wonzo

Banned
School Days is a genuinely good greek tragedy.

yami4ct

Man, another major con with no announcement on just who has the license for HxH 2012. Come on, we already know it's been gobbled up. Whoever has it, Funimation probably, just needs to announce it so I can throw all my money at any Blu-Ray box sets they release.

Also, someone sure as hell needs to grab JoJo,

yami4ct

School Days is a genuinely good greek tragedy.

Totally agree. The show genuinely made me like a lot of the female characters. That fact made seeing many of them dragged down to hell with the PoS protagonist quite tragic. School Days isn't brilliant, but it gets way more shit than it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom