• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 144
UiBMlgR.jpg
Beach episode means swimsuit means tons of Ami-chan fanservice unf unf.

Ami's been getting a ton of great comedy episodes lately, although some of the jokes were already used before (see episode 110). Great stuff nonetheless. It was also interesting to see the Amazon Trio actually put into pressure here. Setting Tiger's Eye against Ami's character was comedy gold.
I'm assuming something was lost in translation here?
wait what

cajunator

Banned
School Days - 1

The hell kind of urban legend is this? Take a photo of someone and wait three weeks without anyone finding out, and then things go well between you and them? Come on! Not even 4chan could come up with something that ridiculous!

So here we have Makoto. He just got a crush on ZuraKatsura and randomly took a picture of her. I'm pretty sure if I did that on a train, the girl would smash my phone. Oh look someone found out about the picture! I guess things are going to go down to shit now.

This is playing out like almost every other romance I've seen with the exception of Clannad. Nervous guy, nice girl, other girl trying to help him, etc.

This Sekai girl seems a little too eager to help Makoto get his girl. You're doing it because it's fun? That seems a little too-wait what? WHAT.

She kisses him, then wishes luck on his date...

...Congratulations Sekai! You have now been dubbed in my book as female-Dio. Good job. I've got the strangest feeling that things are going to go in strange directions.

Ohhh its been a little while since weve had one of these :D

I love how he's just asking all of the right questions.

Yeah his analysis is pretty interesting!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It seems to be going for the sort of catharsis akin to stepping out of a hot car and feeling the 'cool' breeze. It doesn't bode well for a show when its appeal seems to hinge almost entirely on the ending, but when people just watch the ending, the insistence is that the ending alone doesn't quite encompass the school days experience.

The point that the opposition is making is that they'd rather not sit through the 'experience' because that experience is without worth and the sort of catharsis promised by watching the whole thing is tied more to masochism than genuine appreciation.
Maybe that's the case for others. I hate falling back to the "it's my opinion" schtick, but at no point did I feel like I was enduring through the awfulness*. The morbidness is part of the appeal, I will agree.
I already have a great story about teenage relationships with Aku no Hana; I don't need School Days for that.
The more stories that try to paint the utter fucked-upness of teenage relationships the better? I would also recommend Aku no Hana over School Days.
It's why another show is named "Gintama".

Testicles
Translator's notes absent when I need them the most. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maybe that's the case for others. I hate falling back to the "it's my opinion" schtick, but at no point did I feel like I was enduring through the awfulness*. The morbidness is part of the appeal, I will agree.
I dunno, maybe it's sadism? I enjoyed watching the situation deteriorate.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maybe it's a difference in perception? You normally root for the protagonist to "win", but School Days does its darndest to ensure he's an unlikable jerk from the beginning.
After enduring the interminably boring first half, I ended up enjoying Shuffle in much the same way. School Days was just a much better and more honest version of that experience.

Maybe it's a difference in perception? You normally root for the protagonist to "win", but School Days does its darndest to ensure he's an unlikable jerk from the beginning.

I was rooting for him
to get his ass kicked in some fashion and I got it.... well more than I thought.

CorvoSol

Just get through episode 3 tonight and we're golden.

I probably will. Kinda wanna fly through Gundam EVOLVE tonight, too, so I can start F91.

Also Corvo just a heads up you'll be wanting to spoiler most of what you say from here on out.

Actually just spoiler the entire review.

Understood.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT MADOKA EPISODE 3 EYYYYY *WINK WINK, NUDGE NUDGE*

The flip side of the coin is that literally all I know about Episode 3 is that it is supposed to be a big deal. I don't know anything past that, so I guess at least nothing else has been spoiled. Which already means that AnimeGAF is doing a better job at subtlety than GoT GAF.

Corvo don't be neglecting AO.

I won't. I kinda like it so far. But 2 episodes is not ample time to judge.

Did you guys also skip straight to the page where Oedipus gouges out his own eyes in Oedipus Rex?

You mean the best part of the entire play? Hell yes I did. Screw that noise about club foots and oracles and sphinxes and shit. Guy takes some brooches and GOUGES HIS EYES OUT.

And then there was a sequel!

The Count of Monte Cristo 8

So Albert, are you starting to see that the Count is not exactly the nicest dud- OH HEY PEPPO

OH SHIT
POISON TIME?

getting a scooby-doo vibe right now for some reason

God the count is such a smooth bastard. He knows how to play his cards so fucking well.

How can you ask Albert to learn anything when he's too busy trying to figure out why Peppo makes him feel funny in his pants?

Minami-ke Okawari 9

Any fear of Milhouse ruining this season I once had is now gone, as Okawari delivers the usual brand of Minami-ke comedy that while maintaining a few dull moments that the first season also had. Also I can't hold all of this MANSAKA. Truly the only worthy men are voiced by Ono Daisuke.

The Sunday when God got Drunk and left 1

Hurray for more despair moe!

I'll say one thing about this show; it has a really awesome hook. God stopped caring, so now nobody dies. It's like that one episode of Family Guy, but serious.

That being said, things could have been executed better. We also don't really know why people need to die yet. Do they turn into monsters/zombies? Is it the world population and all the shitty implications that come with a non-dying world? Why can't people just live with a big gaping hole in their head if they're happy/not hurting anyone? And what happens when you do "die" if death doesn't exist?

There's just not enough information given yet. However, that is information I want to know, which is why I'll be watching this. There's also potential for some good action.

Ishida to Asakura

I don't know why I watched this anime, but a friend told me to watch it since it's so short and had a good joke in it that'll make me laugh. While it exceptionally is short (each episode is 3mins long and their's only 12) it is enjoyable. The character designs are a little weird and off putting but if you get over that jump, I think it's a funny comedy.

The gist of this small show is that the main character really likes boobs and wants to grow up and be a teacher so he can be around high school girls. That's not that bad since that's kinda GTO'ish but here's the weird part. His friend wants him to run a flower shop with him and tries his best to help him graduate so they can run it together. They had to pt that small twist in the story.

I remember watching the first episode and seeing the teacher and said "welp I know what her role in this anime is going to be." If you watched it then even I was stunned, if you haven't then she
or should I say he is a cross-dresser.
Also the maid girl
is actually his friend cross-dressing to make money, WHAT IS WITH THIS SHOW AND CROSS-DRESSING!
Also their's some guy that talks with his pants zipper to people... yeah it can get weird.

It was funny to watch but I'm not sure if it's, you must watch now funny.
I give it 2 flower shops/5

Kagami

I'm still catching up on last season, but for summer I'm going to check out:

-Cute girls playing basketball
-Cute girls doing cute things with good sakuga
-Cute girls doing cute things with an English girl
-Cute girls shooting each other
-Cute girls going home
-Cute girl suffering in a world with no god
-Cute magical girl doing Fate-flavored magical girl things
-Cute magical girls doing grimdark things
-Cute girls in powered suits singing songs while they fight gnosis
-Cute girls saving the game industri
-Cute girl with a harem of cute card-girls
-Cute girl in a 3DCG suit fighting something-or-other
-Cute OLs working in an office
-Cute dolls doing doll things
-Not-cute girl doing cringe-worthy things
-Fujoshi girls doing otaku things
-The Town with Cute Girl
-Cute tanuki boy transforming into a cute girl
-Cute boys swimming
-Some sort of agricultural thing I will probably drop faster than I dropped FMA
-Whatever the hell a "Danganronpa" is

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 11

This was the creepiest episode I've seen yet. Seriously. Straits was super freaky after regenerating; all bloody and hunched. Gave me the heebie jeebies. Joseph blew my mind with his fighting prowess and Jedi mind-trickery.
Speedwagon
! New villain looks super villainy and I love how wacky he sounds. Also, dat OP!!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi # 25

Ok, you see this, Smile Precure? See them taking care of shit even when apart? THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
haha blood lad is pretty awesome. huge fan of the manga series and was a nice surprise that it got turned into an anime. Only found out about it with the latest issue had bought with the little slip on the bottom.

VA work seems to be decent too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Dennou Coil] 02
There's this juxtaposition between the digital and the spiritual world that gives this show a very unique feeling. It's almost as if the town of Daikoku lives in the frontier between both, accentuated by the weird premonitions (flashbacks?) Yasako has during the story. Great atmosphere.

Satchii is scary alright, but Mega-baa is terrifying. Those eyes... :S
Can't be a Mitsuo Iso show without naked little girls!

Wait what.

Joe Molotov

Ichigo Mashimaro 01 - 04

OMG, this is exactly the kind of cute I needed in my life. Why has no one ever told me about this show? This show is super-cute, and also goggle-friendly. You can essentially imagine that it's a harem show with the older, chain-smoking oneechan being the harem lead to all her imouto's friends.

Harem Lead
UE34oBg.jpg

She's 20, and she smokes and drinks a lot. She's like if Landlady-san hung out with the Hidamari's more often.

Tsundere Imouto
kHDDhai.jpg

She's 12 and she holds the keys to the piggybank that is Nobue's only source of cigarette money when it starts getting late in the month and it's been too long since payday.

Imouto's Childhood Friend / Mischief Maker
rV7HkwA.jpg

She's 12 and always causing problems for Nobue. She lives right next door and frequently runs across the building roofs and jumps through their window unannounced.

Moe Neighboorhood Girl
1RhDDcl.jpg

She's 11, and you just want to protect her.

And rounding out the cast, there's Ana...

Foreigner
4yy6cfG.jpg
xHXJh7U.jpg

m1Uc3Ss.jpg
1bLaVE4.jpg

NWFPV4x.jpg
stvVDEF.jpg
......!

She's 11, and despite being from England, her family moved to Japan while she was young and now she doesn't even remember how to speak English anymore. But she decides that if people are going to treat her like a foreigner that she's going to act like a foreigner, so she's going to pretend to her new class that she can't speak Japanese. Except she can't speak English anymore and has to get one of the other girls to reteach her English to complete the illusion. Needless to say, hijinks ensue.

And there's more of this:

I give this show...
U7CljRf.gif

A PERFECT STRIKE!

Ichigo Mashimaro 01 - 04

She's 20, and she smokes and drinks a lot. She's like if Landlady-san hung out with the Hidamari's more often.

This is almost too good a comparison, though I like Oyasan's more upbeat attitude (no Miyukichi bias here, nope). Also I forget which episode it was in, but one scene had me legitimately gasping for air because I was laughing so hard. This show is great.

cajunator

Banned
Ichigo Mashimaro 01 - 04

OMG, this is exactly the kind of cute I needed in my life. Why has no one ever told me about this show? This show is super-cute, and also goggle-friendly. You can essentially imagine that it's a harem show with the older, chain-smoking oneechan being the harem lead to all her imouto's friends.

She's 12 and she holds the keys to the piggybank that is Nobue's only source of cigarette money when it starts getting late in the month and it's been too long since payday.

She's 12 and always causing problems for Nobue. She lives right next door and frequently runs across the building roofs and jumps through their window unannounced.

She's 11, and you just want to protect her.

And rounding out the cast, there's Ana...

......!

She's 11, and despite being from England, her family moved to Japan while she was young and now she doesn't even remember how to speak English anymore. But she decides that if people are going to treat her like a foreigner that she's going to act like a foreigner, so she's going to pretend to her new class that she can't speak Japanese. Except she can't speak English anymore and has to get one of the other girls to reteach her English to complete the illusion. Needless to say, hijinks ensue.

And there's more of this:

I give this show...
U7CljRf.gif

A PERFECT STRIKE!

Yeeeeeeesssssss :D

I spent way too much tracking down the Geneo. Boxset but it was so worth it.
this show is 100% pure :cajun certified hnnngh

cajunator

Banned

Such a satisfying shos.
almost cathartic.

The Sunday when God got Drunk and left 1

Hurray for more despair moe!

I'll say one thing about this show; it has a really awesome hook. God stopped caring, so now nobody dies. It's like that one episode of Family Guy, but serious.

That being said, things could have been executed better. We also don't really know why people need to die yet. Do they turn into monsters/zombies? Is it the world population and all the shitty implications that come with a non-dying world? Why can't people just live with a big gaping hole in their head if they're happy/not hurting anyone? And what happens when you do "die" if death doesn't exist?

There's just not enough information given yet. However, that is information I want to know, which is why I'll be watching this. There's also potential for some good action.

Whats the actual name of the series?

I'm still catching up on last season, but for summer I'm going to check out:

-Cute girls playing basketball
-Cute girls doing cute things with good sakuga
-Cute girls doing cute things with an English girl
-Cute girls shooting each other
-Cute girls going home
-Cute girl suffering in a world with no god
-Cute magical girl doing Fate-flavored magical girl things
-Cute magical girls doing grimdark things
-Cute girls in powered suits singing songs while they fight gnosis
-Cute girls saving the game industri
-Cute girl with a harem of cute card-girls
-Cute girl in a 3DCG suit fighting something-or-other
-Cute OLs working in an office
-Cute dolls doing doll things
-Not-cute girl doing cringe-worthy things
-Fujoshi girls doing otaku things
-The Town with Cute Girl
-Cute tanuki boy transforming into a cute girl
-Cute boys swimming
-Some sort of agricultural thing I will probably drop faster than I dropped FMA
-Whatever the hell a "Danganronpa" is

sounds like my kinda list!

High School DxD
If you haven't already, I recommend watching OVA 2 of High School DxD. Lots of fun to be had.

NSFWish

The first comment was right, that is hypnotic. Still I don't like harem's all that much and sometimes that show is too much for me. First it was the pole and now their dancing, I'm not gonna lie the animators really know how to please their fans.

mAcOdIn

Ok. Watched some stuff. Will give banner free impressions in

Dog & Scissors 1 - This barely passes because the girl's a troll. I see where this is going, and it's already middling but I'll watch it until it falls apart then I'll drop it.

il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion 1 - Holy shit do I hate the art style here, all the characters look hideous. I don't know what's going on, I don't really care and I don't like anyone here, I guess this is dropped.

Servant x Service 1 - Hmm, like working but with considerably less insane characters. Boring. You need someone like Inami. Dropped.

Love Lab 1 - It'll probably take these two girls just as many episodes to hold hands as it does the characters in Kimi ni Todoke to but I'm not planning to stick around that long. They got until episode 2 or I drop it.

I totally plan to watch the new season of Genshiken I'm just kinda scared. I liked the previous two seasons but newish cast, new voices on the cast that does return, eh, I don't want to be let down. But eventually I'll muster up the courage to watch it.

So... moving on.

I realized I never actually finished watching Birdy so I dove back in. Pretty much had to start out at the beginning. It's not the greatest thing in the world or anything but one thing struck me while watching the first season. Not once in a show where a boy and a girl share bodies do they do anything lame like one of them take control of their hand and do something to the others body or oogle each other or anything stupid like that. It was rather refreshing to watch. Had some lesser bastard wrote it Birdy'd wake up to Tsutomu fingering her or some shit. Hopefully season two's a tad better though.
I just finished watching From the New World and I really enjoyed it. I liked its atmosphere a ton as well as the unraveling of what's really going on within its world. Call me crazy, but I love in anime when they don't tell you a lot of stuff and you are confused. You guys have any suggestions of shows somewhat like this?
Shows that leave you confused about their world? That's a lot of anime.
Anyways, it doesn't keep you in the dark forever but I recommend Twelve Kingdoms.

Kagami

I totally plan to watch the new season of Genshiken I'm just kinda scared. I liked the previous two seasons but newish cast, new voices on the cast that does return, eh, I don't want to be let down. But eventually I'll muster up the courage to watch it.
The cast change is a shame, but they do seem to have had the VAs study the old series and imitate it. The only one that's really bothering me is Ohno.

zeroshiki

Anime with great interesting world building is rare but if done well, are pretty good. From the New World has an interesting world. Other examples are Twelve Kingdoms and the space operas like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Crest of the Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom