• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Finished watching Zetsuen no Tempest
New fact of life: Shakespearean quotes make everything better when in right context.
Kinda wasn't expecting
happy ending.
Overall I liked it, not particularly great, but good watch.

So what about summer? Can someone enlighten me? Wasn't following what's on the table, except new GitS. Anything good?

About GitS Arise. What have they done with characters! and why? I like action, but art style just feels wrong. I wonder, will I get used to it.

Jubern

I'm afraid to edit your post in case I fuck up a spoiler tag. lol
But thanks for the spoilers... I'm just wondering then, does the movie end with
a complete reset? Or do they actually keep the characters aged and the world being half destroyed?

(Gintama movie spoilers, for those not following)
It ends with a reset. The very last scene in the trio in the present rushing out to do a job, pretty much a "and they kept rolling as usual".

cnet128

Banned
Oreimo 13

That was the ending? lol

No. The ending is in August.

I've been hearing quite a bit about Precure in this thread, and I'm beginning to get curious, although I take that getting into the multiple series may be a long and convoluted venture?

This basically depends on how you want to watch the series.

a) If you want to watch just the best of Precure and discard the rest of the series like so much trash, watch Heartcatch and/or Smile. DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen either of these yet, but the overwhelmingly prevailing opinion in this thread seems to be that Heartcatch is the best series, and Smile the next-best. The disadvantage of this approach is that by watching the best first, it will of course be more difficult to get into the rest of the series if you ever want to do that, because it's all downhill from the top.

b) If you actually want to get into the series as a whole rather than just watching the highlights, start at the beginning with Futari wa Precure. After watching that, you can decide whether you want to continue with the series chronologically, or skip ahead.

c) The "compromise option" is to skip the first two series and start with Splash Star. This is the third series chronologically, and the last one before the series does a significant change in formula from having a magical girl duo as the leads to featuring a full-on team. It's basically similar to the first series, but better in almost every way. It seems to be pretty high up on people's series rankings too (somewhere just below Heartcatch and Smile). So, similar to option a), this option has the downside of potentially ruining you for Futari wa and Max Heart, but on the bright side, you can continue on chronologically to the rest of the series without too much trouble.

Of course, since most of these series are standalone, you also have the option of just tackling them in whatever the hell order you like. Here's a quick rundown of the series as a whole (personally I've only watched the first three so far); all are completely standalone unless noted:

1) Futari wa Precure - The series that started it all. Features a duo of Cures (Nagisa and Honoka). Not a bad series by any means, but not among most people's favourites.
2) Futari wa Precure Max Heart - A direct sequel to the first series. Features the same duo of Cures, plus a third who is many people's least favourite character in the entire series. Generally considered the worst series of the lot. Personally I managed to watch the whole thing, and thought it had some enjoyable elements, but it's definitely a low point.
3) Futari wa Precure Splash Star - The first time the series got a complete reboot (which eventually became the standard). Features a new duo of Cures (Saki and Mai). Superficially very similar to the first series, but better executed in almost every way. I can definitely recommend this one.
4) Yes! Precure 5 - The series that changed up the formula to a team format. Features a team of 5 Cures. I think this one might be a bit divisive?
5) Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! - Direct sequel to the previous series. Features the same team of five, plus new member Milky Rose. I don't think this one is considered all that highly?
6) Fresh Precure! - Features a team of four Cures. I don't think I've ever heard any strong opinions for or against this series, so I guess it's probably pretty average.
7) Heartcatch Precure! - Most people's favourite series. Features a team of 4+1(?) Cures. Also features a rather unique style of character designs within the series, thanks to the work of Yoshihiko Umakoshi.
8) Suite Precure - Often cited as the second-worst series, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as universally derided as Max Heart. Features a team of four Cures with a musical theme, though it seems to be centred around a main duo(?)
9) Smile Precure! - Second most loved series by AnimeGAF. Features a team of five Cures with gorgeous character designs including everyone's favourite Yayoi. Also features Episode 38 (lol).
10) Dokidoki! Precure - The currently airing series, which doesn't seem to be particularly well-received. Features a team of four Cures plus a fifth. Everyone hates the main character for being a massive Mary Sue and stealing all the spotlight from everyone else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
(Gintama movie spoilers, for those not following)
It ends with a reset. The very last scene in the trio in the present rushing out to do a job, pretty much a "and they kept rolling as usual".
Wait, so they
go back in time? It's a complete reset and the movie might as well have been a dream? I really hope there was a troll in that ending or holy fuck...
lol

wonzo

Banned
Then just leave the movie for when you have time. I enjoy the live impressions, but this is the kind of film that needs to be experienced raw and without interruptions/
Agreed. Live impressions are always dumb. Either watch something in full or don't watch it at all.

No. The ending is in August.

a) If you want to watch just the best of Precure and discard the rest of the series like so much trash, watch Heartcatch and/or Smile. DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen either of these yet, but the overwhelmingly prevailing opinion in this thread seems to be that Heartcatch is the best series, and Smile the next-best. The disadvantage of this approach is that by watching the best first, it will of course be more difficult to get into the rest of the series if you ever want to do that, because it's all downhill from the top.

b) If you actually want to get into the series as a whole rather than just watching the highlights, start at the beginning with Futari wa Precure. After watching that, you can decide whether you want to continue with the series chronologically, or skip ahead.

c) The "compromise option" is to skip the first two series and start with Splash Star. This is the third series chronologically, and the last one before the series does a significant change in formula from having a magical girl duo as the leads to featuring a full-on team. It's basically similar to the first series, but better in almost every way. It seems to be pretty high up on people's series rankings too (somewhere just below Heartcatch and Smile). So, similar to option a), this option has the downside of potentially ruining you for Futari wa and Max Heart, but on the bright side, you can continue on chronologically to the rest of the series without too much trouble.

Of course, since most of these series are standalone, you also have the option of just tackling them in whatever the hell order you like. Here's a quick rundown of the series as a whole (personally I've only watched the first three so far); all are completely standalone unless noted:

1) Futari wa Precure - The series that started it all. Features a duo of Cures (Nagisa and Honoka). Not a bad series by any means, but not among most people's favourites.
2) Futari wa Precure Max Heart - A direct sequel to the first series. Features the same duo of Cures, plus a third who is many people's least favourite character in the entire series. Generally considered the worst series of the lot. Personally I managed to watch the whole thing, and thought it had some enjoyable elements, but it's definitely a low point.
3) Futari wa Precure Splash Star - The first time the series got a complete reboot (which eventually became the standard). Features a new duo of Cures (Saki and Mai). Superficially very similar to the first series, but better executed in almost every way. I can definitely recommend this one.
4) Yes! Precure 5 - The series that changed up the formula to a team format. Features a team of 5 Cures. I think this one might be a bit divisive?
5) Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! - Direct sequel to the previous series. Features the same team of five, plus new member Milky Rose. I don't think this one is considered all that highly?
6) Fresh Precure! - Features a team of four Cures. I don't think I've ever heard any strong opinions for or against this series, so I guess it's probably pretty average.
7) Heartcatch Precure! - Most people's favourite series. Features a team of 4+1(?) Cures. Also features a rather unique style of character designs within the series, thanks to the work of Yoshihiko Umakoshi.
8) Suite Precure - Often cited as the second-worst series, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as universally derided as Max Heart. Features a team of four Cures with a musical theme, though it seems to be centred around a main duo(?)
9) Smile Precure! - Second most loved series by AnimeGAF. Features a team of five Cures with gorgeous character designs including everyone's favourite Yayoi. Also features Episode 38 (lol).
10) Dokidoki! Precure - The currently airing series, which doesn't seem to be particularly well-received. Features a team of four Cures plus a fifth. Everyone hates the main character for being a massive Mary Sue and stealing all the spotlight from everyone else.

...guess I'll be watching Heartcatch then. I only watched Smile Precure because of kirbyguy's avatar, but if this one's super good then it's go time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Agreeable Precure Tier List, maybe:

A: Heartcatch
C+: Smile
C: Fresh, Splash Star?
C-: Futari wa
D: Suite, Yes 5 Gogo?
D-: Yes 5?, Dokidoki
F: Max Heart

*shrugs*

CorvoSol

Episode Three: Revenge of the Spoilers
Is this guy Blue's brother? He better not be. No more incest. How effed up is it that when I see a girl and a boy behaving romantically toward one another in an anime my first thought now is "they must be siblings." This is what Sword Art Online does to you, people. Just run from it.

You know, I gather that it is actually sort of rude to ask people what their deepest, darkest wish would be. If you could have your heart's true desire, you may not want others to know, because that'd be a very personal thing, and no matter how noble or how crude, the dark corners of the heart should not be so lightly laid bare to any willy nilly. That said, that this fucking cat thing just waited at an auto accident to basically trade continued life in exchange for a soul/slavery speaks volumes to what Kyube is.

Maybe its just cuz Kyube never smile or changes its expression. I dunno, I just get a kinda sinister vibe from it. No wait, it just mind raped Blue and exposed her innermost thoughts to everyone. Fuck you, Kyube. You're a creepy demon preying on innocent girls. Also, Kyube is sort of apathetic about their wishes. Like he's like "It can be anything! It doesn't matter!" and "HURRY THE FUCK UP BITCHES I NEED YOU FOR MY WAR ON BITCHES."

Oh and now he's giving her a power speech. You sound literally like the devil, Kyube. Every last lesson I ever had on the Devil in Church makes him sound basically exactly like you. Except the part about being a cat-rabbit. That I admit I had not foreseen.

Uuuh. Madoka. Your mom just got home at like, midnight, drunk off her ass. She wasn't working. She's having a pretty big affair and your dad doesn't know how to cope with it. Your brother isn't his kid. He just got the paternity tests in. There will be a divorce. Or a murder-suicide.

OH SNAP PSYCHE LOCKS! Phoenix get your Magatama and your evidence! We're gonna present our way through this! Well, as long as you stop presenting your lawyer badge and Detective Gumshoe's profile, that is.

Madoka has some serious self esteem issues. Oh wait, she's a fourteen year old girl.

It's raining pills. What is this, Dr. Mario or somethin'? Is it wrong if I assume that "the cake is a lie" is applicable here? I hate myself just for making that reference. Did that adorable teenage girl just fire a shotgun point blank into the temple of a stuffed animal on top of a cake full of hypodermic needles?

That's anime.gif

HOLY SHIT DID THAT THING JUST EAT THAT GIRL'S HEAD OFF?

If that was the big, game changing episode, consider me incredibly underwhelmed.

wonzo

Banned
I'm with you on that one. I caught on to what the show was doing before then.
Yeah, it was pretty obvious that something was up when Kyubey and his creepy as fuck stare was first introduced. Well, that and the ED (which they changed for the first two eps anyway.)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If that was the big, game changing episode, consider me incredibly underwhelmed.
Blame all the nudge nudge wink wink bullshit.

I think you can see it coming from the very first episode, but the crudeness in which it is depicted is what sells the "surprise".

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uuuh. Madoka. Your mom just got home at like, midnight, drunk off her ass. She wasn't working. She's having a pretty big affair and your dad doesn't know how to cope with it. Your brother isn't his kid. He just got the paternity tests in. There will be a divorce. Or a murder-suicide.
Actually, that's probably one of the more mundane events in the show. Drinking in a semi-business setting is a thing in Japan.

Jubern

Wait, so they
go back in time? It's a complete reset and the movie might as well have been a dream? I really hope there was a troll in that ending or holy fuck...
lol

That's pretty much it. I won't spoil more than I already did in my first post, but
basically they save the day, Gintoki returns to present day and business keep going as usual. Or as if nothing happened, actually.

No troll or anything, on the contrary even, like I said the ending DID feel like a proper sendoff.
Did the series do bad or something? Maybe the DVD sales aren't as good as they expect them to be for a Jump series or something?

Love the banner ahah

The game changer isn't the episode itself IMO, it's *that* scene. It prefigures the rest of the series. Before it happened, the episode was fairly boring, but starting next episode that's where it gets really, really better.

It probably gets ruined if you already know about the tone of the show before you watch it though. I went TOTALLY blind in the show, and boy did the twist and what followed worked for me.

Shergal

Madoka is pretty fun, it has some cool animation flourishes and great pacing, but I wasn't very surprised at any of the happenings. I mean, (not really spoilers but Corvo don't read it anyway)
random people on /a/ predicted the entire plot by episode 1 and even decoded the runes by episode 2. It's all there if you look.

CorvoSol

Blame all the nudge nudge wink wink bullshit.

I think you can see it coming from the very first episode, but the crudeness in which it is depicted is what sells the "surprise".

Well I mean, all I knew was that something was coming, which definitely cheapened that it came, but I confess that it was still a bit of a surprise, mostly in that
it was fairly brutal for a show that had heretofore been creepy, but not head bitingly terrifying.

Actually, that's probably one of the more mundane events in the show. Drinking in a semi-business setting is a thing in Japan.

This I did not know.

The real surprise for me is how good the action scenes are. Certainly better than anything Sword Art Online ever churned out.

Madoka is pretty fun, it has some cool animation flourishes and great pacing, but I wasn't very surprised at any of the happenings. I mean, (not really spoilers but Corvo don't read it anyway)
random people on /a/ predicted the entire plot by episode 1 and even decoded the runes by episode 2. It's all there if you look.

those runes. it was pretty cool finding out what they all meant after I watched the show.

I believe you meant to say "No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault my Moe Otaku-Pandering Show Isn't Popular!" Get it right.

I also don't know what you're implying.

image.php

Well I mean, all I knew was that something was coming, which definitely cheapened that it came, but I confess that it was still a bit of a surprise, mostly in that
it was fairly brutal for a show that had heretofore been creepy, but not head bitingly terrifying.

I think personally for your review I'm looking forward to when you get to a certain character's background story, just from your (our) background and experiences.

Jintor

The point is that a lot of people don't look. The thing is hyping the show tends to prepare people to look, defeating the point.

Shergal

The real surprise for me is how good the action scenes are. Certainly better than anything Sword Art Online ever churned out.

Yeah, Madoka is one of the better put-together SHAFT shows, with a lot of involvement from Nozomu Abe, and some nice cuts by SHAFT's two in-house ace animators, Gen'ichirou Abe and Ryo Imamura.

The witch worlds done by Inu Curry are also cool as fuck.

This I did not know.

It's a big part of work culture over here. In fact, saying no to your seniors can even come off as being insulting, putting you on their shit list.

Even if you don't drink, it's typically recommended you go to these after hour gatherings/bigger parties just so you can show that you're one of the team.

Jarmel

Banned

I'm just looking forward to his impressions of (Corvo don't read this)
Kyubey. I expect his hatred of that dirty rat to grow to legendary proportions

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I leave the office too early to go drinking after work. For my sake I guess I should move to Japan.

Nudull

Banned

Well, with all things considered, I think I'll try either Heartcatch or Smile, and decide from there. Most likely Heartcatch first, given the apparent praise it's gotten from everybody. lol

NeonZ

Did the series do bad or something? Maybe the DVD sales aren't as good as they expect them to be for a Jump series or something?

Gintama is actually the current shounen jump tv series with highest dvd sales (well, unless you compare the One Piece compilations with Gintama's individual releases, but Gintama's individual releases sell much better than One Piece's single discs). It does have pretty low tv ratings for a shounen jump tv show that airs at daytime (well, beginning of the night) though.

I guess Sunrise might just want to stop doing manga adaptations (at least of proprieties that aren't their own)? I think Gintama was the last one they had running. If so, I guess some other studio could pick it up and attempt to continue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom