• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushibugyo Episode 14

The new OP and ED are fantastic. Episode content was great and kind of shocking in terms of
the action and gore of just people actually dying like that from the man bugs
This arc is off to a good start.

/XX/

I find encouraging how JAniCA is asking for those working in the Japanese animation industry to contribute in how their health examination program is going to be implemented (http://www.janica.jp/events/kensin/kensin.html). With all the stories about bad working conditions and people losing its well-being because of jobs related to that industry, I'd like to see the companies & workers involved more conscious about these kind of topics.

Diabolik Lovers visual has lots of good character designs. (red/red)
tumblr_mpmbqbpSay1s87dybo1_500.png

Tenumi

Banned
All the Precure talk reminds me I need to get back to watching Suite soon. Only 37 more episodes until I can move on to.... Fresh. Unless I decide to rewatch Heartcatch, of course.

sonicmj1

good char·ac·ter de·signs [goo d kar-ik-ter dih-zahynz]
noun, plural

1. Character designs of a high quality: Ume Aoki is known for her good character designs.
  2. DTL. Men

Of course you'd think it was that simple. But there's much more to good character design than just making them men. Some designers think that the main character should be old or ugly, and that doesn't make sense. Who wants to watch an old guy do old guy things? That breaks obvious rules of good character design.

I've prepared a practical example of good (on the right) and bad (on the left) character design:

nier-replicant-gestalt.png

Nudull

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! - 01-02
"I don't want to hear anything from history's weakest Precure." I said goddamn.
Anyway, despite some rather dumb moments here and there, this seems relatively harmless and energetic in it's humor. It does help that Umakoshi's behind the character designs (one of few things I liked about Casshern Sins :p), and the cast is pretty likable. I'll see how the next few episodes do for me, but for now, it's not bad.

cajunator

Banned
Just a reminder that we are getting more Muromi-san soon! The director Tatsuya Yoshihara has confirmed they have already finished the OVA episode to be released on August, 16:

Twitter / o_ihs_oy: OAD無事納品完了です。発売日は8月16日です!宜しくお願い ...
https://twitter.com/o_ihs_oy/status/353022932303347712

Between this and Mr. Savin's comments about The 2 QueenS it feels like we are witnessing the 'renaissance of a resistance'. :-D

Well, I always thought the term 'hand-drawn' isn't the most exactly adequate for that; CGI is hand-drawn after all, from pencil tests to CG modeling done by hand, obviously... but I have the impression that he is talking in a sense of CG models being animated although not necessarily needing to be actually drawn for every frame of every cut from a scene, just key-framed. So, "all hand-drawn" in that case would mean that every element in the scene (composited into) has been drawn from scratch for it, or that is what I try to infer/interpret out of those words!

An oldie but classic comparison, translated from one made at 2ch:

More Muromi? YAMETE!!!!!
Also that chart is pretty fascinating actually. Budgets in the west are ridiculous.

...Y'all are just waiting for me to take the top of the page, aren't you.

Fine. I'll take one for the team(??)

I took the bottom of the page. Cant take both!

Honestly? Best tonal shift I've ever seen was Kotoura's first episode. That was just amazing.

Yeah that was something special. Totally caught people off guard.

Tizoc

I don't understand this question. Is it a binary question of whether you CAN watch the anime or not? Or are you asking for a general recommendation of whether or not to watch it?

If its the first, sure knock yourself out. If its the 2nd, we don't know yet since it hasn't aired.

Well I plan on getting it for at least my friend to watch, he isn't into gaming much but Ive introduced him to lots of good anime series over the years, which is what my prvious question was in regards to.

Theonik

Fujoshi targeted shows don't always have a female self-insert character. See Hetalia, Free!, Kuroko's Basketball, etc.
Well not necessarily a single self-insert character but some female characters. Even Hetalia, Freem and Kuruko have female characters in. The last not entirely being intended as a fujoshi bait show mind you.
I'm sure you can find exact counterparts for the other way round though, not that they are unique in this.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Just finished the first season of Chihayafuru.

Shinobu no why : (

Taichi no why : (

Taichi no what have you become : (

Nightmare Fuel

Nice to see you write something like this, a very basic guide of Precure. I don't know why I didn't give my Precure Overview earlier since I have that post bookmarked for times like this. Granted in Smile's Case, I would have to rewrite it since the post was linked to the End of Smile Precure review.

Anyway in regards to those options, I'm not fond of how if someone wants to watch all of the series, it devolves to just watch Heartcatch and Smile from others. It's like having people who only played P3 and P4 mixed into a crowd who've experienced the SMT franchise.

...guess I'll be watching Heartcatch then. I only watched Smile Precure because of kirbyguy's avatar, but if this one's super good then it's go time.

selfavatarquote

Agreeable Precure Tier List, maybe:

A: Heartcatch
C+: Smile
C: Fresh, Splash Star?
C-: Futari wa
D: Suite, Yes 5 Gogo?
D-: Yes 5?, Dokidoki
F: Max Heart

*shrugs*
I'd probably throw Doki Doki for E tier with it in danger of joining Max Heart

I don't get why Max Heart is hated? I mean it was boring and it inspired me to start watching Fresh alongside it, but it wasn't... offensive?

It was super boring, it was a big rehash, with it reusing scenarios even more, it was obnoxious about it like FFIV:TAY basically going HEY lets reference a scene from the prequel am I cool yet guys? Along with an underutilised character that we love to throw under the bus, but haven't quite as often. It's terrible quality is even worse if you directly follow it after Futari wa (like I and many others have).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
In that case, you just self-insert as the protagonist and imagine yaoi undertones everywhere.
works for me with stuff that's not actually yuri

Fujoshi targeted shows don't always have a female self-insert character. See Hetalia, Free!, Kuroko's Basketball, Natsume's Book of Friends, etc.

It works the same for male targeted shows, they don't always have a male self-insert. This season we even have a male targeted yuri harem doll fetish show with all female characters.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, so now that I'm done with the past weekend and will hopefully have time to try out an anime or two, what are the first impressions of this season's shows?

Well not necessarily a single self-insert character but some female characters. Even Hetalia, Freem and Kuruko have female characters in. The last not entirely being intended as a fujoshi bait show mind you.
I'm sure you can find exact counterparts for the other way round though, not that they are unique in this.

The Kuroko anime was definitely primarily targeted at fujoshi, and that is why it sold so much.

At any rate, the bland self-insert protagonist is a staple of both harems and reverse harems, but the anime targeted at otaku of either gender are not limited to harem works.

It works the same for male targeted shows, they don't always have a male self-insert. This season we even have a male targeted yuri harem doll fetish show with all female characters.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. It's the same for both genders.

Theonik

The Kuroko anime was definitely primarily targeted at fujoshi, and that is why it sold so much.

At any rate, the bland self-insert protagonist is a staple of both harems and reverse harems, but the anime targeted at otaku of either gender are not limited to harem works.
Oh of course , but the manga wasn't which would mean the characters themselves were made pre-fujoshi.

And yeah as I said it's not really limited to either gender really, was just pointing out that this structure is pretty commonplace.

Okay, so now that I'm done with the past weekend and will hopefully have time to try out an anime or two, what are the first impressions of this season's shows?

Servant x Service

If you watched Working!! before, you should know what to expect from this.

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu

It's a mux if Upotte and Girls und Panzer feel for me. The final 5 minutes of the show made this pretty interesting. It's Cute Girls with Airsoft guns, because cute girls makes it more interesting for some reason, just ask Girls und Panzer. Weirdos abound!

Love Lab

The surprise of the summer. Sakuga animation abound and it's about two girls understanding and finding love. Pretty funny throughout the whole thing, and the two main girls have an interesting chemistry with each other.

Going Home Club

Girl has a massive agohe. Other than there, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking, talking about bear fighting, and a low amount of animation (they even poke fun at this by having the rich girl have good animation and stating that we're only suppose to have XXX frames). Not sure if it's going to be standard or it was done deliberately just to pull that joke off. Anyway, seems a bit interesting, but it's one of the shows that could be put on the chopping block if it doesn't shape up.

Daybreak Illusion

Dark Magical Girl anime. Nuff said.

Blood Lad

This is pretty shonen for me. However, apparently it's a seinen, and if it doesn't properly display that, then it just makes the term seinen meaningless. We have an otaku vampire, a girl with a twist, which will lead to antics in the human world. Anyway, I'll see where this goes, but I don't have much expectations for it.

MOnogatari Second Season

It's pretty Hanekawa and Senjougahara based, with some Mayoi and only mentions of Araragi. Because of this dynamic, expect a bunch of yuri, with some strange Senjou behavoir (for her). Also huzzah, Hanekawa getting slapped.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

If you hate lolis, then go watch this, it goes out of its way to make her as miserable as possible.

Kiniro Mosiac

A Happy Go Lucky tale of two girls meeting in different countries, and bonding to the point that the English girl transfer to Japan later on. It's interesting as the flash back is at a different aspect ratio, whereas the current day makes use of the full aspect ratio. Anyway a gratuitous amount of English is used in here, and it's pretty adorable. It's kinda magical in a way.

Free
it's alright, and decent animation as you'd expect from Kyoani.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Servant x Service

If you watched Working!! before, you should know what to expect from this.

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu

It's a mux if Upotte and Girls und Panzer feel for me. The final 5 minutes of the show made this pretty interesting. It's Cute Girls with Airsoft guns, because cute girls makes it more interesting for some reason, just ask Girls und Panzer. Weirdos abound!

Love Lab

The surprise of the summer. Sakuga animation abound and it's about two girls understanding and finding love. Pretty funny throughout the whole thing, and the two main girls have an interesting chemistry with each other.

Going Home Club

Girl has a massive agohe. Other than there, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking, talking about bear fighting, and a low amount of animation (they even poke fun at this by having the rich girl have good animation and stating that we're only suppose to have XXX frames). Not sure if it's going to be standard or it was done deliberately just to pull that joke off. Anyway, seems a bit interesting, but it's one of the shows that could be put on the chopping block if it doesn't shape up.

Daybreak Illusion

Dark Magical Girl anime. Nuff said.

Blood Lad

This is pretty shonen for me. However, apparently it's a seinen, and if it doesn't properly display that, then it just makes the term seinen meaningless. We have an otaku vampire, a girl with a twist, which will lead to antics in the human world. Anyway, I'll see where this goes, but I don't have much expectations for it.

MOnogatari Second Season

It's pretty Hanekawa and Senjougahara based, with some Mayoi and only mentions of Araragi. Because of this dynamic, expect a bunch of yuri, with some strange Senjou behavoir (for her). Also huzzah, Hanekawa getting slapped.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

If you hate lolis, then go watch this, it goes out of its way to make her as miserable as possible.

Kiniro Mosiac

A Happy Go Lucky tale of two girls meeting in different countries, and bonding to the point that the English girl transfer to Japan later on. It's interesting as the flash back is at a different aspect ratio, whereas the current day makes use of the full aspect ratio. Anyway a gratuitous amount of English is used in here, and it's pretty adorable. It's kinda magical in a way.

Free
it's alright, and decent animation as you'd expect from Kyoani.

Pretty positive all around, Zel.
In particular Daybreak Illusion, C3Bu and Love Lab.

Thank you! :D

Love Lab sounds interesting, good Sakuga of cute girls sounds super neat.

I am fond of Rozen Maiden. Otherwise, I've seen positive impressions for Uchoten Kazoku, Love Lab, Kiniro Mosaic, and the second seasons of Tamayura and Teekyuu.

jbug617

Banned
High School DxD New 1

BOOBS!!!
That is how the show starts.
Also the Rias and Asia competition never is going to end is it
Overall I think this episode was more about getting familiar with the cast and teasing some new characters for the season.

Tier List:
Akeno
Rias
Koneko
Asia

Tenumi

Banned
I've got Fantasista Dolls and maybe WataMote to start today. Am I correct that Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya has only aired on NicoNico (or whatever that place is called) so far?

High School DxD New 1

BOOBS!!!
That is how the show starts.
Also the Rias and Asia competition never is going to end is it
Overall I think this episode was more about getting familiar with the cast and teasing some new characters for the season.

Tier List:
Akeno
Rias
Koneko
Asia

First series in ages where I see that majority has the same ranking!

cnet128

Banned
I've got Fantasista Dolls and maybe WataMote to start today. Am I correct that Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya has only aired on NicoNico (or whatever that place is called) so far?

Yeah, I believe it doesn't get a proper broadcast until this Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom