• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's pretty much it. I won't spoil more than I already did in my first post, but
basically they save the day, Gintoki returns to present day and business keep going as usual. Or as if nothing happened, actually.

No troll or anything, on the contrary even, like I said the ending DID feel like a proper sendoff.
Did the series do bad or something? Maybe the DVD sales aren't as good as they expect them to be for a Jump series or something?

The anime had caught up with the manga, which is why it ended recently I presume,
and the DVD sales are actually pretty high because of the fujyoshi, so I just don't believe that they would have just ended it.
But who knows, maybe that's the case. lol

I guess I'll wait to see the movie myself, but it almost sounds... disappointing.

fertygo

Gintama's DVD sales is pretty good, Very high for long running series even
if they decide to stop making the anime its not because the series bombed, its not gonna get 260+ eps and 2 movie if that's the case.
I'm just looking forward to his impressions of (Corvo don't read this)
Kyubey. I expect his hatred of that dirty rat to grow to legendary proportions

Maybe he gonna like him like he did to Suzaku.

NeonZ

The anime had caught up with the manga, which is why it ended recently I presume

The last season of the Gintama actually skipped many chapters of the manga. They basically only adapted battle arcs, skipping comedic or emotional stories, replacing them with old reruns, aside from the last episode. They definitely could have made more episodes if they wanted to do that. There's also how it had basically almost zero filler, even battles followed the choreography of the manga panel by panel, with no extra additions, aside from movement directly connecting the two manga frames. It resulted in a very fast pacing for the adapted arcs, but I don't think they needed to be that fast.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Madoka] spoilers
Nah,
Kyubey is extremely hateable. The good part about him is that he isn't really evil, he just literally doesn't give a fuck about anything.
It's not so much that he doesn't care as the worries of humanity being way below his race's concerns, similar to how lab mice are treated. aka 2deep4lolis

Jubern

The last season of the Gintama actually skipped many chapters of the manga. They basically only adapted battle arcs, skipping comedic or emotional stories, replacing them with old reruns, aside from the last episode. They definitely could have made more episodes if they wanted to do that. There's also how it had basically almost zero filler, even battles following the choreography of the manga panel per panel. It resulted in a very fast pacing for the adapted arcs, but I don't think they needed to be that fast.

One could argue that it allowed them to go all out on the really important part though. The Courtesan arc was incredible, and that's coming from something who read it beforehand.

But yeah, I know how they caught with the original material. I just think they can wait a few months/years and start again like they did with the one year-wait for the 2011 series. But from the way they put it in last week's special and the way the movie ended, it justs seems like the current anime staff is indeed putting Gintama behind them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi # 26

SOS have really become the go-to assholes of the show. Today we tackle fat shaming, and attempts at using Keion to combat anorexia.

CXiFpMk.jpg

Jubern

…
I'm going to have to research to see if anyone is dumb enough to offer this in the UK.

I know it's forbidden in France :(

A minister created a law against it a few years ago after a few big student parties with "open drink" went bad enough to make headlines.

This is totally the reason I'm now living in Japan!

Strike Witches 06

This episode was pretty cute and :SDBurton, Sanya is pretty damn adorable. I knew I was right to expect big things from her! Episode almost killed me. Plenty of Lucchini being Lucchini and other antics too. :RegulusTera too.
Also amusing were these two shots, and also how uncreative they are with these names. Orussia and Suomus. Might as well as call them by their real names.
A completely unremarkable amount of butts. Probably run out of their butt budget from 05.

This got me good.

Holy fuck I just typed strike witches into google images. Holy fuck this really is the reason why people think some otaku are pedophiles isn't it.

Well that's... interesting. Smile being the second-favorite on AnimeGAF that is. When I usually ask people (at least on #precure on IRC) they say Smile is the worst series. It was the first series I saw myself, so I have a bit of a connection to it, and I enjoyed it verily despite that.

(Also: 16 days until New Stage 2 is out. Can't wait for team-uppy goodness).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've been hearing quite a bit about Precure in this thread, and I'm beginning to get curious, although I take that getting into the multiple series may be a long and convoluted venture?

Don't watch any of them. That shit is a disease.

cajunator

Banned

Episode Three: Revenge of the Spoilers
Is this guy Blue's brother? He better not be. No more incest. How effed up is it that when I see a girl and a boy behaving romantically toward one another in an anime my first thought now is "they must be siblings." This is what Sword Art Online does to you, people. Just run from it.

You know, I gather that it is actually sort of rude to ask people what their deepest, darkest wish would be. If you could have your heart's true desire, you may not want others to know, because that'd be a very personal thing, and no matter how noble or how crude, the dark corners of the heart should not be so lightly laid bare to any willy nilly. That said, that this fucking cat thing just waited at an auto accident to basically trade continued life in exchange for a soul/slavery speaks volumes to what Kyube is.

Maybe its just cuz Kyube never smile or changes its expression. I dunno, I just get a kinda sinister vibe from it. No wait, it just mind raped Blue and exposed her innermost thoughts to everyone. Fuck you, Kyube. You're a creepy demon preying on innocent girls. Also, Kyube is sort of apathetic about their wishes. Like he's like "It can be anything! It doesn't matter!" and "HURRY THE FUCK UP BITCHES I NEED YOU FOR MY WAR ON BITCHES."

Oh and now he's giving her a power speech. You sound literally like the devil, Kyube. Every last lesson I ever had on the Devil in Church makes him sound basically exactly like you. Except the part about being a cat-rabbit. That I admit I had not foreseen.

Uuuh. Madoka. Your mom just got home at like, midnight, drunk off her ass. She wasn't working. She's having a pretty big affair and your dad doesn't know how to cope with it. Your brother isn't his kid. He just got the paternity tests in. There will be a divorce. Or a murder-suicide.

OH SNAP PSYCHE LOCKS! Phoenix get your Magatama and your evidence! We're gonna present our way through this! Well, as long as you stop presenting your lawyer badge and Detective Gumshoe's profile, that is.

Madoka has some serious self esteem issues. Oh wait, she's a fourteen year old girl.

It's raining pills. What is this, Dr. Mario or somethin'? Is it wrong if I assume that "the cake is a lie" is applicable here? I hate myself just for making that reference. Did that adorable teenage girl just fire a shotgun point blank into the temple of a stuffed animal on top of a cake full of hypodermic needles?

That's anime.gif

HOLY SHIT DID THAT THING JUST EAT THAT GIRL'S HEAD OFF?

If that was the big, game changing episode, consider me incredibly underwhelmed.

That wasnt so much a game changer as it was the first indication that something here isnt quite right. For people unprepared for it it was very unsettling and as youll find out, it gets MUCH darker than that.

Long office hours followed by going out for drinks. Miyazaki would criticize her for going home so early, though.

Sounds like my place of work. Everybody else pretty much goes home super tired and drinks themselves to sleep. I just bounce out of the office into my car, get home and jump on the computer and squee at things until I pass out. Two different solutions to the same problem.

Don't watch any of them. That shit is a disease.

I plan to get the Precure disease soon lol.

cajunator

Banned
I think "disease" works better from the perspective Mad Pierrot's coming from. Addictions aren't contagious.

(Not denying that Precure is also an addiction...a wonderful, wonderful addiction =p)

I wish I could become more addicted to it but Max Heart put a real damper on my enthusiasm. Maybe I should just skip that shit and move on to Splash Star.

I think "disease" works better from the perspective Mad Pierrot's coming from. Addictions aren't contagious.

(Not denying that Precure is also an addiction...a wonderful, wonderful addiction =p)

... You make it sound like Stockholm Syndrome somehow.

I wish I could become more addicted to it but Max Heart put a real damper on my enthusiasm. Maybe I should just skip that shit and move on to Splash Star.

I don't get why Max Heart is hated? I mean it was boring and it inspired me to start watching Fresh alongside it, but it wasn't... offensive?

cajunator

Banned
... You make it sound like Stockholm Syndrome somehow.

I don't get why Max Heart is hated? I mean it was boring and it inspired me to start watching Fresh alongside it, but it wasn't... offensive?

For me the boringness was making it a chore.
I dont care much about plot or that other stuff pertaining to quality, I just want to be entertained. Max Heart did NOT entertain. It was disappointing.

For me the boringness was making it a chore.
I dont care much about plot or that other stuff pertaining to quality, I just want to be entertained. Max Heart did NOT entertain. It was disappointing.

At the very least watch the second Max Heart movie if you haven't. That's actually good.

Theonik

Sane people just youtubed the ending.
Only lame people did.

High School DxD Special - 05

:D
That best girl.

ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR SCHOOL DAYS:
They are, actually, being mindful of harem tropes and all. All the show needed was a Greek chorus.
I am now picturing a chorus narrating every one of Makoto's bad decisions and feeling cheated that wasn't a thing.

Blood Lad 1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/bloodlad1.jpg
look at all dem references

This was off to a decent start even though the OP and ED were really underwhelming. They've certainly nailed down Staz so I'm expecting good things from the other characters that'll pop up soon. The fairly garish use of colour fits pretty well with the overall setting and I'm guessing the human world is gonna look far more natural to create contrast between the two.

It's pretty faithful to the manga thus far which makes me wonder if they'll deviate at some point and make their own ending or do the usual and leave this fairly open ended (aka the sequel/read the manga end.) I'm not quite sure if there's a good stop-off point for the later as I've only read the first 10 chapters so~
Oh is this the one about the demon/vampire and the schoolgirl that got eaten by a plant?
I think I've looked at the manga for it.

Holy fuck I just typed strike witches into google images. Holy fuck this really is the reason why people think some otaku are pedophiles isn't it.
You disappoint me.

That wasnt so much a game changer as it was the first indication that something here isnt quite right. For people unprepared for it it was very unsettling and as youll find out, it gets MUCH darker than that.
Please let Corvykun experience it with no distractions and nudges.

Max Heart was like Chinese water torture. Sure, a drop of water is nothing, but draw it out...
But that OP

cajunator

Banned
Only lame people did.

That best girl.

I am now picturing a chorus narrating every one of Makoto's bad decisions and feeling cheated that wasn't a thing.

Oh is this the one about the demon/vampire and the schoolgirl that got eaten by a plant?
I think I've looked at the manga for it.

You disappoint me.

Please let Corvykun experience it with no distractions and nudges.

But that OP

I am. I havent told Corvy Kun anything!
Also I see my little nickname for him caught on. good :D

Theonik

Oh and now he's giving her a power speech. You sound literally like the devil, Kyube. Every last lesson I ever had on the Devil in Church makes him sound basically exactly like you. Except the part about being a cat-rabbit. That I admit I had not foreseen.
2 Corinthians 11:3 said:
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
The devil can assume a variety of forms.

Stop linking that, that is not the OP! XD
The actual OP is pretty awesome too. Practically made for it. Most catchy PreCure OP imo.

Cwarrior

If that was the big, game changing episode, consider me incredibly underwhelmed.

I don't understand how anyone can call this a tone shift, it's like they didn't watch the two episode before this and missed all the signs within the episode.After this overhyped episode that some posters told me I must watch it too, that it would blow me away and change my opinion of the anime it but it didn't so I dropped it.

It's nothing compared to Level E episode 3.

fertygo

Stella C3 Club

This is pretty good, started with very low key but when paintball game started its pretty nice.

I thought the coloring pretty meh at first, but when its blended with outdoor mock battle background (which very different in quality from the normal bg throughout the eps) its looked really good.

Looks like gonna be pretty fun show, when the "tourney" thing started.

Well, yeah, I'm not sure why people like to talk so much about episode 3 of Madoka.
It was no Shyamalan style nonsense twist but exactly what you could expect after the first episodes.

/XX/

Just a reminder that we are getting more Muromi-san soon! The director Tatsuya Yoshihara has confirmed they have already finished the OVA episode to be released on August, 16:

Twitter / o_ihs_oy: OAD無事納品完了です。発売日は8月16日です!宜しくお願い ...
https://twitter.com/o_ihs_oy/status/353022932303347712

Between this and Mr. Savin's comments about The 2 QueenS it feels like we are witnessing the 'renaissance of a resistance'. :-D

So, what does it really mean to be "hand drawn"?

and what are some examples of anime series' that aren't hand drawn?
Well, I always thought the term 'hand-drawn' isn't the most exactly adequate for that; CGI is hand-drawn after all, from pencil tests to CG modeling done by hand, obviously... but I have the impression that he is talking in a sense of CG models being animated although not necessarily needing to be actually drawn for every frame of every cut from a scene, just key-framed. So, "all hand-drawn" in that case would mean that every element in the scene (composited into) has been drawn from scratch for it, or that is what I try to infer/interpret out of those words!

What's the budget of a Disney animated film compared to an anime of similar notoriety, say a Ghibli film?
An oldie but classic comparison, translated from one made at 2ch:

http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/10621842/#q10623898 said:

cajunator

Banned
Well, yeah, I'm not sure why people like to talk so much about episode 3 of Madoka.
It was no Shyamalan style nonsense twist but exactly what you could expect after the first episodes.

I think it just kind of was a bit more than people expected for this kind of show, so it took them by complete surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom