• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hahahaha LOGH world building.

Nice joke zeroshiki.

7Th

Pseudo-summary of the AX Trigger/Otsuka Q&A thing.

Q: What can we expect from Kill la Kill?

A: While Otsuka didn't want to give much away, he said that anybody who liked TTGL's over the top action will be extremely satisfied with Kill la Kill (he even made the claim that it was even more over the top). He also said that very few people will be able to predict where its going. Also, it's driving their animators crazy trying to turn the craziness of the script into animation. Also, it will be entirely hand drawn, like LWA.

And Otsuka wants to eventually do a full TV series for Little Witch Academia.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's what I mean. Smile Precure even made elaborate steps to establish a means of crossing long distances then completely neglected it at nearly every time it mattered. Doremi #, on the other hand, goes "fuck that, we have MAGIC*."

*Also plastic. In stores now.

That's what I mean. Smile Precure even made elaborate steps to establish a means of crossing long distances then completely neglected it at nearly every time it mattered. Doremi #, on the other hand, goes "fuck that, we have MAGIC*."

*Also plastic. In stores now.

They also neglected it to make some more interesting dynamics for episode plot, granted it still has plenty of unique shit to deal with.

I was also primarily thinking of the last spotlights when I was commenting because even with a powerup, they can't do much on their own.

Nudull

Banned
I've been hearing quite a bit about Precure in this thread, and I'm beginning to get curious, although I take that getting into the multiple series may be a long and convoluted venture?

CorvoSol

Gundam EVOLVE 7

A typical Gundam Wing adventure. Heero's snuck onto a satellite, steals what appears to be the Wing Zero Custom, and blows it up. Meanwhile, Relena Peacecraft is listening to Dr. J explain about having given Heero his code name. The animation is fairly improved, although everything still kinda looks like a PS2 game. The character models are fairly nice, though, and as someone who still enjoys ReBoot, it isn't half bad.

I've been hearing quite a bit about Precure in this thread, and I'm beginning to get curious, although I take that getting into the multiple series may be a long and convoluted venture?

I won't say convoluted since most of them are pretty much standalone.

Mad Pierrot is crying. :(

Let me take on the pain, because I keep doing this to people, and I'm okay with more people watching Precure.

Haly

:p

Here are 20 characters we will introduce right now. 2 of them might be important but we won't remind you who they are when they do become important!

More like: "We took a slice of pre-WWI Europe and transported it to SPACE. THIS IS TOTALLY CONVINCING!"

cajunator

Banned
Pseudo-summary of the AX Trigger/Otsuka Q&A thing.

And Otsuka wants to eventually do a full TV series for Little Witch Academia.

This sounds so promising but Im afraid hype will make it impossible for this show to deliver.

Watch smile and heartcatch.
Futari wa precure is decent if you want to see how everythinv started.

Thoraxes

So, what does it really mean to be "hand drawn"?

and what are some examples of anime series' that aren't hand drawn?

FRyYt.gif

CorvoSol

Gundam EVOLVE 8

Kira busts into a ZAFT base and trashes it with his Strike. It's out of character for Kira to walk into a base of dudes who ain't doin' nothing and completely murder them, but the animation is pretty good and I concede that I would watch a show with that kind of animated CG robots.

Someone exclaims "A Natural did this!?" at one point, and it pisses me off because
the entire show people are so hyped 'cuz Kira is a Natural and he's fighting better than all the Super Coordinators. Then we find out he's The Ultimate Coordinator and a New Type and Jesus Christ. It always bugged me that Kira couldn't just be a Natural, and is probably why I liked Mu, more: cuz he really was just a regular dude who did everything as a total badass.

zeroshiki

More like: "We took a slice of pre-WWI Europe and transported it to SPACE. THIS IS TOTALLY CONVINCING!"

Even better! They let those Commies write the story themselves.

I get the feeling you're not a fan (´・ω・`) Say it isn't so, Haly.

7Th

The fact that Hito's praise for Heartcatch basically amounts to "I guess it's not bad" yet he still considers it the best Precure tells you all you need to know about what he thinks about the other seasons.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The fact that Hito's praise for Heartcatch basically amounts to "I guess it's not bad" yet he still considers it the best Precure tells you all you need to know about what he thinks about the other seasons.
Hey, on balance. Heartcatch has some fantastic material in it, but it's also weighed down by crap too.

He's also more critical on Precure than some of us.

Thoraxes

So... does it only really refer to CG? and/or vector graphics?

bonus SAO CG dragon

tumblr_m96d6s1Vpk1qazzdso1_500.gif

Also rewatching this GIF made me realize how impossible Kirito's attack there is. The arm chopping motion doesn't make any sense.

I wish I knew the right terminology/vocabulary for this so I could describe it to you correctly.

All I really know is that the one thing is done with one thing and not the other thing, but not like the old thing so the one thing is done differently because of the one thing now which makes it cheaper to do.

Nudull

Banned

They can't be as bad as sitting through Powerpuff Girls Z, right?

...right? ;_;

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They can't be as bad as sitting through Powerpuff Girls Z, right?

...right? ;_;
Futari wa and Smile were watchable, although I personally liked Futari wa more. At some point I may choke down Fresh. Max Heart is godawful, though, and supposedly there are one or two more series that are really bad.

Haly

Even better! They let those Commies write the story themselves.

I get the feeling you're not a fan (´・ω・`) Say it isn't so, Haly.

I love LOGH to death but it is so very flawed.

It is entirely a character drama. All the other aspects of it, warfare, politics, history, and technology are completely worthless.

Joe Molotov

Yeeeeeeesssssss :D

I spent way too much tracking down the Geneo. Boxset but it was so worth it.
this show is 100% pure :cajun certified hnnngh

I just watched Episode 5, and holy crap, that was the most :cajun episode yet. A double-dose of cuteness, and real feels at the end. I nearly died. :eek:

Futari wa and Smile were watchable, although I personally liked Futari wa more. At some point I may choke down Fresh. Max Heart is godawful, though, and supposedly there are one or two more series that are really bad.

Off the top of my head, that would be Suite for the other series that's really bad, and it's more of a shame for that one.

cjkeats

I first heard of precure when Smile was airing. I was mildly interested in the characters based on all the screens people were constantly posting.

I decided to start with the OG series, because it was there on CR. I plan to watch Smile if I ever finish.

Speaking of CG, I watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I noticed some very poorly hidden CG extras in the back of the seige of Notre Dame scene.

What's the budget of a Disney animated film compared to an anime of similar notoriety, say a Ghibli film?

I would suggest just watching Little Witch Academia to get an idea.

See, that still seems a little ambiguous to me. I can see they're hand drawn, like some animator actually drew their scenes. But what makes something *not* hand drawn? Is it just CG or vector shapes that are tweened and stuff?

wonzo

Banned
Blood Lad 1

bloodlad1.jpg

look at all dem references

This was off to a decent start even though the OP and ED were really underwhelming. They've certainly nailed down Staz so I'm expecting good things from the other characters that'll pop up soon. The fairly garish use of colour fits pretty well with the overall setting and I'm guessing the human world is gonna look far more natural to create contrast between the two.

It's pretty faithful to the manga thus far which makes me wonder if they'll deviate at some point and make their own ending or do the usual and leave this fairly open ended (aka the sequel/read the manga end.) I'm not quite sure if there's a good stop-off point for the later as I've only read the first 10 chapters so~

I remember Mad PIerrot talking about Yes 5 or something being awful.

Different strokes for me. I won't throw it under the bus quite as fast, granted it has its problems, the creep aspect made it really tolerable for me.

Actually now I have a question for Nudull.

What exactly is making you consider doing this, because as far as I'm aware, it's been primarily Doki Doki Precure impressions. Clearly THAT can't be the reason why this is making you interested?

CorvoSol

Speaking of CG, I watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I noticed some very poorly hidden CG extras in the back of the seige of Notre Dame scene.

What's the budget of a Disney animated film compared to an anime of similar notoriety, say a Ghibli film?

See, that still seems a little ambiguous to me. I can see they're hand drawn, like some animator actually drew their scenes. But what makes something *not* hand drawn? Is it just CG or vector shapes that are tweened and stuff?

Like a billion times more.

Gundam EVOLVE 9

Some dumb woman wanted Amuro Ray in her panties. Which isn't hard to believe because he's like Jesus if Jesus was Elvis if Elvis rode a giant robot. This woman, Red Snake, has her brain stolen by the pyramid on a dollar bill. Then it is a Mobile Armor. Mobile Armors are dumb. Then she becomes Mecha Shiva and Woolf Eneacle dies.

They all pilot Zeta Gundams, which is a plus, and Amuro's codename is "White Unicorn" which seems significant.

zeroshiki

I love LOGH to death but it is so very flawed.

It is entirely a character drama. All the other aspects of it, warfare, politics, history, and technology are completely worthless.

The politics is great. (Well the Prussian part at least, the American side sucked ass)

The warfare is awful, though. I'll give you that. Everything is on a 2D plane and they actually use cavalry and siege tactics in the show which make no sense for a show about spaceships in space.

I'm a sucker for big sprawling worlds with tons of characters. Its part of the reason why I love ASOIAF so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom