• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sprawl needs to be done well to be good. Otherwise it's just noise.

Like Wan Pisu.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I forgot that the HanaIro movie was shown at AX. Any spoilers about whether or not it was just a recap/sidestory?

Like a billion times more.

But then why do some things just seem higher quality in anime? ...although I guess I should compare 1996 anime to a 1996 movie.

Princess and the Frog was pretty great. RIP Disney Animation Studios

Gundam EVOLVE 9
He's like Jesus if Jesus was Elvis if Elvis rode a giant robot.

A quick googling of Elvis Robot came up with this

Elvis+Presley+-+Art+by+Ben+Heine+-+Digital+Circlism.jpg

CorvoSol

Gundam Evolve 10

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE JUDAU!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ROUX!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of my system, I cannot stop squeeing. I mean, it's Roux and Judau and they're on their way to Jupiter and the ZZ Gundam gets an upgrade as a birthday present from Leina. Because its Judau's birthday, and he seems to have misplaced Roux's cake.

They go and rescue a lone mobile suit, which turns out to be
a Puru Clone floating along and trying to escape the Neo Zeon forces.

So yeah, can't help squeeing, cuz this got all my favorite things. All it needed was the Zeta head and it'd've been perfect. Roux's new outfit is great, and the character models and action were fairly well done for CG from 06.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE JUDAU AND ROUX AND
PURU
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Nudull

Banned
Actually now I have a question for Nudull.

What exactly is making you consider doing this, because as far as I'm aware, it's been primarily Doki Doki Precure impressions. Clearly THAT can't be the reason why this is making you interested?

Actually, it not just this thread. I've known of Precure's existence for a while, and AnimeGAF ended up reminding me of it as I'm now trying out different shows that are out there that may interest me, and plus, I've been itching for more magical girl stuff since seeing Madoka Magica (hell, it was seeing the two movies and Toonami's return that convinced me to get back into anime in the first place).

Actually, it not just this thread. I've known of Precure's existence for a while, and AnimeGAF ended up reminding me of it as I'm now trying out different shows that are out there that may interest me, and plus, I've been itching for more magical girl stuff since seeing Madoka Magica (hell, it was seeing the two movies and Toonami's return that convinced me to get back into anime in the first place).

Oh okay, I was just making sure because I would not know how to feel if Doki Doki got someone interested.

Although fair warning, don't expect anywhere near Madoka's.... "features"

I've only seen the first 3-4 episodes of Smile! Precure, but I thought it was pretty good as it was going. Totally different from Madoka, obviously, and if you want something closer to that tonally, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha has the dark overtones. But Precure is good straight Magical Girl stuff, and that's enjoyable in its own way.

Also speaking of the Madoka Magica movies, are those worth watching?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

If Madoka was what made you want more magical girl stuff, try Daybreak Illusion. It just started this past week, so there's only one episode, but it's off to a great start.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/il-sole-penetra-le-illusioni-day-break-illusion

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 3

Basically everyone in Okinawa is a racist, xenophobic, violent, superstitious asshole. And some beach bum revolutionary in a pink shirt has prevented me from getting some real answers about this show.

So yeah, sounds like the sequel to Eureka Seven to me.

Nudull

Banned
I've only seen the first 3-4 episodes of Smile! Precure, but I thought it was pretty good as it was going. Totally different from Madoka, obviously, and if you want something closer to that tonally, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha has the dark overtones. But Precure is good straight Magical Girl stuff, and that's enjoyable in its own way.

Also speaking of the Madoka Magica movies, are those worth watching?

Oh yeah, I've forgotten about Nanoha. That may be right up my alley, too. :3

As for the movies, several people have said that it was the best way to see the series, and as a first exposure, they were pretty damn effective, engaging and seamless. Helps that it's had some of the best music and themes I've heard in a series in a good while, and hearing it all on theater speakers made it all the better. Also, everyone was adorable and likable in their own way. :3

If Madoka was what made you want more magical girl stuff, try Daybreak Illusion. It just started this past week, so there's only one episode, but it's off to a great start.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/il-sole-penetra-le-illusioni-day-break-illusion

I was wondering about this one. Thanks for the heads up. c:

As for the movies, several people have said that it was the best way to see the series, an as a first exposure, they were pretty damn effective, engaging and seamless. Helps that it's had some of the best music and themes I've heard in a series in a good while, and hearing it all on theater speakers made it all the better. Also, everyone was adorable and likable in their own way. :3

I wonder if it's even better since I've already seen the show. Need to figure out a cheap way to replicate that theater experience...

Inferno Cop is the best show ever made with a budget of less than ten dollars.

Heehee. Was this a sponsored project like Little Witch Academia?

Yeah kayos son wat air ye doin callin a brit man a frenchie? Thats lik callin an xbax wan a games machine, ye just cannot say these things like.

Off the bleedin' charts.

Biography:
King Awesome.​
Interests:
Doing the Mario​

3/3 on criteria of greatness; therefore best user ever

Jubern

Gundam EVOLVE 8

Someone exclaims "A Natural did this!?" at one point, and it pisses me off because
the entire show people are so hyped 'cuz Kira is a Natural and he's fighting better than all the Super Coordinators. Then we find out he's The Ultimate Coordinator and a New Type and Jesus Christ. It always bugged me that Kira couldn't just be a Natural, and is probably why I liked Mu, more: cuz he really was just a regular dude who did everything as a total badass.

What are you talking about, we learn about Kira being a Coordinator in episode 3, if not earlier. The fact that he was
TEH ULTIMATE COORDINATOR!!!1!
sucked indeed, though.

Tizoc

Hold up they made an anime of Tetsuo Hara's Keiji manga?
...and should I watch the Dangan Ronpa anime before playing the 1st game?

zeroshiki

OK thanks, but could anyone still watch the Dangan anime and still enjoy it if they have no plans of playing the game?

I don't understand this question. Is it a binary question of whether you CAN watch the anime or not? Or are you asking for a general recommendation of whether or not to watch it?

If its the first, sure knock yourself out. If its the 2nd, we don't know yet since it hasn't aired.

CorvoSol

Corvo-kun. It's time to let go.

But I can't tell!!

Look for the penis

BUT NOBODY HAS ONE.

What are you talking about, we learn about Kira being a Coordinator in episode 3, if not earlier. The fact that he was
TEH ULTIMATE COORDINATOR!!!1!
sucked indeed, though.

It's been a couple months since I watched SEED for the first time. Guess I just forgot that. All the main characters being Coordinators sucked.

Embrace the androgyny.

But who hugs on top!?

NhN0acj.png

Combine options 2 and 3

I think if I twerked my pinky I'd need to see a doctor.

I should not be laughing as hard as I am right now this late at night. lol

I just don't know, though!

Bunny Drop 3

Is going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW" a legitimate review of every episode? Because it should be. This show gets me in my warm fuzzies every single time. Sort of a heart warming, feel good show. Like, I feel better after I watch it.

cajunator

Banned
But I can't tell!!

BUT NOBODY HAS ONE.

It's been a couple months since I watched SEED for the first time. Guess I just forgot that. All the main characters being Coordinators sucked.

But who hugs on top!?

I think if I twerked my pinky I'd need to see a doctor.

I just don't know, though!

Bunny Drop 3

Is going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW" a legitimate review of every episode? Because it should be. This show gets me in my warm fuzzies every single time. Sort of a heart warming, feel good show. Like, I feel better after I watch it.

Bunny drop is like the chicken soup of the anime world. Feelsgoodman.

Jubern

So, I just watched...

Gintama - Conclusion : Forever Yorozuya

As one could/should expect, it was mainly girls giggling like crazy in the theater!

The movie starts pretty slowly, with a funny parody of the infamous "Movie thiefs - No More!" video that's broadcast before every movie in Japan. It quite only drags quite bit despite managing to be fairly funny but then teh tweest happens (spoilers for the movie from thereon!) :

The camera guy from the No More! video teleports Gintoki into the future we saw in the trailers. There, he's said to have died 5 years ago. Right after that, a mysterious virus spread all over the world starting from Edo and made a lot of people grow older super quickly, until they eventually died.
There's one person in the cast affected by this, which is
Otae
The future world itself is pretty bleak, since all the people who had enough money to leave Earth did just that. It's only the poor, the ones who don't want to leave (ie. the Kabukicho gang) and those who try to profit of the situation.
. The goal of Gintoki is, of course,
to find a way to reverse the whole thing. However, he is instructed by the thing-robot that sent him there to not reveal himself and gets a little item that makes him look like a dick-man (seriously) to everyone else lol

The movie has, as usual, a lot of fourth wall-breaking moments, for instance with
adult Kagura speaking normally and like a tsundere, which obviously makes Gintoki comment about her voice actress.
To be quite honest, the movie isn't a masterpiece or anything IMO, it's pretty much just fanservice with a very typical Gintama story/development, for better or worse. If you know Gintama, you know what to expect and will likely like this.
IMO, the Benizakura or Courtesan arcs are still better than this, but that might be because they actually fit in the ever-eluding overarching plot.

Oh, there was one particular very funny parody at the beginning of the movie that carries on during the entire thing. No spoilers for the movie:
Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises, the new Miyazaki movie, is parodied as "Are Tachinu" which in context means "The Boner Rises".

Also, the role Akira Kamiya got to do was (biiiig spoilers)
future Elizabeth. The thing has become SUPER buff, like it did nothing but body-build for five years and fights RUTHLESSLY with a freaking spiked mace. It speaks normally with Kamiya's voice and is best buds with Hijikata.
It was hilarious.

Now, people have probably been wondering about whether this is really the end, as the title suggest. My take on this is (no spoilers about the movie proper)
that it might indeed be the end of the anime, unless the showrunners change their mind. They were pretty adamant about it during the pre-release thing they showed on TV Tokyo last week and they don't make jokes or anything about this being "the last, promise!", like they'd expect them to do. Also, the credits ended with shots of every single episode of the series flashing on screen, with the very first opening song rolling along.
Note that the end is as open as it gets and makes this movie nothing more than a side-story. It doesn't close the door for future adaptations at all.

As a fan of the show, I had a nice time. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was good enough for me.

CorvoSol

Adolescence of Utena pt. 2

Utena is a lot more overtly physical about her feelings for Anthy in this movie than she was in the show. I kinda preferred the show's way of handling it, to be honest. The "choose your own sexuality" approach for Utena, as it were. That Anthy
refers to her as Utena-san and then just plain Utena only lends itself to the fact that this entire plot is happening in a world after the show, and is part of Anthy's quest to retrieve Utena from this world she's gone to.
Not sure I care for that interpretation of the show's ending, though.

Shiori is an inhuman bitch. Also, I was this close to a Wakaba swim suit scene, and you denied me, Ikuhara. There can be no forgiving this kind of sin. As Touga has commented, Anthy has been sorta sexed up for this movie. Which has some unfortunate implications when you consider her skin has also been lightened. Kinda miss nerdy old Anthy who looked like Papillon, and Lightning/Utena. Touga's as Red Sephiroth as ever, however.

So the point of the game is for Akio to gain the magic powers that Anthy had. Akio was the Rose Prince, but also The Lord of the Flies? His explanation is somewhat confusing, since he says he was The Lord of the Flies before he was the Rose Prince, but in the show its Anthy's magic that changes him from the goodly Dios into the demonic Akio.

A MIKI x KOZUE
BATH
SCENE. WHY.

Wait, was Touga
molested by his adoptive father!?
You can't just show me that and not explain! This movie already makes no fucking sense if I haven't seen the show, what the hell was that!?

Well if I wasn't turned off of the concept of fairies by Garzey's Wing, I believe Utena just finished the entire thing in one fell stroke.

Jury x Miki ship tease? I can swing that.

You know, Utena AND Anthy are kind of at odds with their characters in the show. Utena, for example,
is much more, I dunno, petty? She's also more violent. She shoves Anthy around a lot, and does it for small reasons.
and Anthy is more talkative, flirty, and coy than the
super submissive, secretly acerbic, ultra passive-aggressive girl from the show.
Sorta odd.

"There is no prince."
Again, kinda feels like this whole thing is Utena's soul sorta trapped in an alternate universe/parallel world where she's trying to cope with the serious mind fuck that was the end of the show. Akio was the prince, and so there was not one. Touga might have been genuinely in love with her, and so in this world she's dealing with the feelings she might have had for him, and through it all there's Anthy, who she might have loved, but failed to save and never really fully understood.

Stars in the background? Implied sexual intercourse? Star-kissing? Better than when SAO had a brother and sister do it, anyway. But yeah, preeeeeetty sure this musical number is symbolic of them havin' sex. Preeeeeeetty sure. That's how it works in Final Fantasy, anyway.

Utena's hair growing in length is symbolic of
Anthy making contact with the actual Utena, whose personality is hiding behind Nutena's short haired facade in this bizarro, Escher Architecture version of the world Utena left behind or rejected at the end of the show. So in a way, all of this is about Anthy helping Utena come to terms with the end of the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We're never gonna get that coveted sequel where we find out if anything happened between Nako and that one schoolgirl. :(
The answer is probably no!
Maybe Nako and the mom?

So, I just watched...

Gintama - Conclusion : Forever Yorozuya

As one could/should expect, it was mainly girls giggling like crazy in the theater!

The movie starts pretty slowly, with a funny parody of the infamous "Movie thiefs - No More!" video that's broadcast before every movie in Japan. It quite only drags quite bit despite managing to be fairly funny but then teh tweest happens (spoilers for the movie from thereon!) :

The camera guy from the No More! video teleports Gintoki into the future we saw in the trailers. There, he's said to have died 5 years ago. Right after that, a mysterious virus spread all over the world starting from Edo and made a lot of people grow older super quickly, until they eventually died.
There's one person in the cast affected by this, which is
Otae
The future world itself is pretty bleak, since all the people who had enough money to leave Earth did just that. It's only the poor, the ones who don't want to leave (ie. the Kabukicho gang) and those who try to profit of the situation.
. The goal of Gintoki is, of course,
to find a way to reverse the whole thing. However, he is instructed by the thing-robot that sent him there to not reveal himself and gets a little item that makes him look like a dick-man (seriously) to everyone else lol

The movie has, as usual, a lot of fourth wall-breaking moments, for instance with
adult Kagura speaking normally and like a tsundere, which obviously makes Gintoki comment about her voice actress.
To be quite honest, the movie isn't a masterpiece or anything IMO, it's pretty much just fanservice with a very typical Gintama story/development, for better or worse. If you know Gintama, you know what to expect and will likely like this.
IMO, the Benizakura or Courtesan arcs are still better than this, but that might be because they actually fit in the ever-eluding overarching plot.

Oh, there was one particular very funny parody at the beginning of the movie that carries on during the entire thing. No spoilers for the movie:
Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises, the new Miyazaki movie, is parodied as "Are Tachinu" which in context means "The Boner Rises".

Also, the role Akira Kamiya got to do was (biiiig spoilers)
future Elizabeth. The thing has become SUPER buff, like it did nothing but body-build for five years and fights RUTHLESSLY with a freaking spiked mace. It speaks normally with Kamiya's voice and is best buds with Hijikata.
It was hilarious.

Now, people have probably been wondering about whether this is really the end, as the title suggest. My take on this is (no spoilers about the movie proper)
that it might indeed be the end of the anime, unless the showrunners change their mind. They were pretty adamant about it during the pre-release thing they showed on TV Tokyo last week and they don't make jokes or anything about this being "the last, promise!", like they'd expect them to do. Also, the credits ended with shots of every single episode of the series flashing on screen, with the very first opening song rolling along.
Note that the end is as open as it gets and makes this movie nothing more than a side-story. It doesn't close the door for future adaptations at all.

As a fan of the show, I had a nice time. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was good enough for me.
I'm afraid to edit your post in case I fuck up a spoiler tag. lol
But thanks for the spoilers... I'm just wondering then, does the movie end with
a complete reset? Or do they actually keep the characters aged and the world being half destroyed?

I just find it hard to believe that it's
"the end" in anyway, because as we know, they have ended the series several times now.

It's also a bit disappointing to hear about how it ranks with the TV arcs... but who knows, I guess I'll have to wait a year until I see it for myself.

Now we just need spoilers for HanaIro... and maybe the Ghibli movie. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's 230 and I still have to watch Madoka before getting up and doing all the chores that were neglected cuz of camping. I can't.
Then just leave the movie for when you have time. I enjoy the live impressions, but this is the kind of film that needs to be experienced raw and uninterrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom