• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Was Watamote really that uncomfortable? I thought it was hilarious for the most part. I felt sad for her a few times but I certainly wasn't uncomfortable.

Watamote 1

Excellent. This is show of the season right here, folks.

My god, reading it was hard enough, but the anime catapults this into a whole new tier of discomfort. The denial, the disproportionate self-rewarding, the awkwardness in general; THIS is my childhood right here (and to some extent, now as well), so of course I can both empathize with and seriously pity Tomoko. The casting is absolutely perfect and the direction is more than I expected. That Death Note reference was really something, yet it fits so well.

I don't know why I'm so enthusiastic about something that will surely make me depressed, but yeah, this is going to be a very good show.

Edit: Goddamit Peace, that's the shot I used :/

hehehe.

but yeah, I was a lot like Tomoko as a middle schooler, but things started turning around in High School so this is the perfect show for me, I can really relate. This show is pretty much made for most international anime fans lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Watamote 1

Everything I wanted and then some. Fantastic.

Your avatar... :(

===================================

Watamote - 01

Vmz8Bad.png

Okay, this is pretty great. The whole "coming soon" bit made me spat out my soda. Have no clue where the hell this came from, but I welcome it with open arms. Summer turning out to be quite a surprise. Who would've thought? :lol

And oh my god her creepy mumbling when she's trying to talk to people is adorable as fuck.

Was Watamote really that uncomfortable? I thought it was hilarious for the most part. I felt sad for her a few times but I certainly wasn't uncomfortable.

It depends on how much you can relate to her, which in my case, is a lot.

But yeah, first episode is tame compared to stuff that comes later.

Some chapters of the manga are, secondhand embarrassment's a bitch.

I don't know why I feel like sharing this, but every time my little sister watches a show/anime that has someone totally embarrassing themselves, she covers her eyes and runs out of the room laughing and going NONONONO

I did that for Oreimo S1 when Kyousuke told his dad all those things for Kirino, I fully expect doing that sometime for this show. hehe.

I don't know why I feel like sharing this, but every time my little sister watches a show/anime that has someone totally embarrassing themselves, she covers her eyes and runs out of the room laughing and going NONONONO

I did that for Oreimo S1 when Kyousuke told his dad all those things for Kirino, I fully expect doing that sometime for this show. hehe.

One of the earlier episodes of OreShura had me doing the same thing. It was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in an anime and I had to drop it.

jgminto

Depends how close to home it hits for you.
im expecting it to hit on a few things. We'll see.

This isn't even it's final form.

Some chapters of the manga are, secondhand embarrassment's a bitch.

It depends on how much you can relate to her, which in my case, is a lot.

But yeah, first episode is tame compared to stuff that comes later.

Sure I can relate to her in quite a few ways. I guess we'll see as it progresses. I also love dark comedy, especially when it relates to me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Digimon Tamers] 02 (Rewatch)
A boy and his mon.

This one was super cute and actually interesting, even if you could tell all the beats from the start (Takato tried to hide Guilmon from the family > Guilmon follows Takato to school > wacky hijinx ensue!). Still very little of Digimon battling, but the animation is so bad I'm actually glad Toei is shying away from that aspect for these introductory episodes. Some really awful art, too. Like, is he supposed to be crying or is he constipated?
Moémon

Holy shit that KS is just zooming along. I wrote a quick bit of news about it when it was at 50,000. In the time since I set that post live, it's already knocking at 100,000's door. Jeezus.

Holy shit that KS is just zooming along. I wrote a quick bit of news about it when it was at 50,000. In the time since I set that post live, it's already knocking at 100,000's door. Jeezus.

News is spreading. I expected it to happen once day came in NA, but they've doubled their # of backers in a short time period.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 20

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiko. ;____;
Yep, there was more than
"Aiko fell from the jungle gym, quit your job women", actually Aiko's mother was pregnant and had a miscarriage, her father still a blockhead, and Aiko's mother didn't quit her job because her mother didn't approve of her marriage(she was right in the end) and died and Aiko's mother didn't have the chance to see her one last time and she does her job in order to make up for that.
It's nice to have good friends, and I didn't catch any errors this time in Aiko episode.

Nudull

Banned
Watamote - 01
Was as hilarious and awkward as I expected, and the OP/ED is pure joy. Tomoko is a terrible person, but I can't help but find empathy and likability. It's either the fellow outcast in me, or cajun-itis has finally claimed me. :eek:

Either way, it's one of the highlights of the season, for me. :3

yami4ct

Utena 13

A recap episode with some strange bookending. Hmmm. Not much to see here. We get some conversations between
A sleeping Utena's Price and a mysterios man in black who happens to look a lot like him. Hmmm, two similar dudes one in black one in white. Could Utena's prince somehow been split into his light and dark halves?
Not really much to talk about. It was a fairly well done recap. The one thing, though. I had a really obvious revelation I should have had way, way sooner. The rose colors each duelist wears ties directly into their character. I remembered rose color theory existed, looked it up and it all made perfect sense.

Utena's white rose represents the purity and innocence she has. Her entire world view is naive and pure. Saionji's green is tricky, but I suppose it's just a commentary on his generally calm demeanor. Mickey's blue represents the
unattainable dreams he has of regaining his youth and his sister's lost music
. Juri's orange is
her desire to regain her lost love with the girl who never knew how she felt
. The yellow for
Nanami is clearly to represent her jealous nature and how she sees anyone who gains her brother's attention as competition.
. Touga's red is just about his passion and his sexuality. How he uses sex to woo all the girls around him and get what he wants.

Honestly, this feels really obvious in retrospect. I blame me not knowing anything about rose color meanings other than their existence prior to looking them up. Man, that makes the whole "Black Rose Saga" title even darker, given Black roses represent death and farewell. Thing's are not going to go up for Utena and crew I'm guessing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Watamote 01
I dunno, this was just too simplistic for me to find it very entertaining. Very rarely did it feel particularly funny or engaging in any way that stood out, which isn't helped by the show's visuals to be the bare passable minimum. It's not really out there enough to be a parody, but at the same time it doesn't feel authentic or genuine enough to be taken seriously.
Also Watamote's OP is basically the summer season equivalent of Muromi-san's OP.
plz.

kewlmyc

Watamote 01

I just want to give her a hug. Reading the manga and now watching the anime reassures me that at least my life isn't as bad as hers.

TWGOK S3 01

They skipped the best arcs. Unforgivable.

Watamote 01
I dunno, this was just too simplistic for me to find it very entertaining. Very rarely did it feel particularly funny or engaging in any way that stood out, which isn't helped by the show's visuals to be the bare passable minimum. It's not really out there enough to be a parody, but at the same time it doesn't feel authentic or genuine enough to be taken seriously.

plz.
You took the words right out of my mouth. It neither worked as a comedy nor a serious story for me.

And oh god was that OP terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom