• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Did icarus actually like Nanami or not? Haha, at first she seemed to but then later it seemed like she didn't. Maybe she was just joking.
I'm pretty sure she likes the character arc Nanami goes through, but doesn't care for the various Nanami-focused comedy episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That makes a lot of sense; the original short felt like it was missing scenes.

I wish Trigger could get funding to do a full movie, but that isn't happening through Kickstarter.
Maybe if we try hard enough we can get enough money for a one cour show! (Lol)
Watch the video, they talk about how they had to cut scenes out of the original, and how 20 minutes is too little for what they want to do with the 2nd one. It's not like they are talking about making it 2 hours long, I don't think adding a few minutes to it is going to ruin the pacing or flow, especially if they would prefer it be longer from beginning.
Ok that sounds cool.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not out yet. Comes out the 12th. Kojima and Kanye saw advance screenings and loved it though. I'm definitely gonna see the shit out of it.

RT is at 81 with a 7.8 avg with 31 reviews so far.

Gaffer impressions:

I have returned from a screening. The movie was great! Everything I wanted. Heart racing action and scale. You are put directly into a crisis situation and the characters all work well. As Del Toro says it's an adventure movie. It's not mindless action.

Anyone who is hyped for this will love it. I guarantee it. While i was hyped for Man of Steel and left a little disappointed...here not so! I only got to see it in a regular RealD 3D screen and have booked opening day IMAX. See it on the biggest screen you can.

The trailers and TV spots haven't shown ANYTHING at all. I have no idea how they kept so much hidden.

The 3D was great particle effects and rain drops hitting the screen.
I thought Man of Steel destruction was crazy. Pacific Rim raise that bar.

If you like kaiju, you will probably like this movie a lot.

If you are some johnny-come-lately, you can probably go fuck yourself.

Totally delivers. Satisfying, no origin bullshit, no franchise building compromises.

What we have here is an entirely earnest film, a love letter to giant monster movies and mecha anime, with every effort made to please the audience. We get the lavish set pieces expected of the typical summer comic blockbuster with the memorable visual design of del Toro's other films, in a successful pairing that the Hellboy series never quite managed to slam dunk.

The quirk hits at the right moments to break up the action, without dragging on or undermining the tone: socially awkward scientists scheming, but no 30 minute Transformers hacker interlude. It knows when to engage and when to reload. Emotional bonds are presented matter-of-factly and not exploited in a slow motion instrumental crescendo or silent staring contest, because no one has time for that: Godzilla needs to be punched in the face right fucking now or the world ends.

The characters are as earnest as del Toro's overall vision for the project. This isn't the platform for nuanced portrayals, but for big things in larger than life packages, heroes standing tall when it matters and overcoming or dying in the attempt, without apology or regret.

It wastes no time, no 90 minutes of Krypton and Kansas and brooding or high school and breaking basketball backboards. This is the equivalent of Fast Pacific Rim Five: Shit Just Got Real, where the origin movie is long gone and all that matters now is a rousing spectacle, just without that origin movie ever having existed. It doesn't pull any punches or feel like a carefully planned attempt at creating a franchise by spreading out the potential narrative and amounting to a "this is just the beginning, and you already need to start getting hyped for two years from now." Pacific Rim's the full load being blown in your face all in one shot and not worrying about the consequences.

Re: the 3D, the separation looked great throughout, but the action sequences suffered from the hard technical limitations of 24fps 3D in terms of clarity. It's up to your preferences.

Saw an early screening of it this evening... was awesome. Fight scenes were really cool, and the plot was ok for what it was (nothing spectacular, but it didn't get in the way of anything). Really, I walked out of it thinking it was a fun movie. Fun would actually probably be the best word to describe it with.

wonzo

Banned
Little Witch Academia 2 Kickstarter is now up. Give up your monies,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tch-academia-2

They are planning for it to be 20 minutes long, but will make it 15 minutes longer if they get $150k.
Back this shit.

That makes a lot of sense; the original short felt like it was missing scenes.

I wish Trigger could get funding to do a full movie, but that isn't happening through Kickstarter.
What if they turn LWA 1+2 into a full length film. :eek:oo

For some reason the idea of having certain animators as stretch goals amuses me. Iso1m!!!!
Iso to animate Inferno Cop S2. Just imagine the sakuga flash pans!!!

jman2050

7th is going to scrounge up $10,000 for this kickstarter somehow and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did.

EDIT - I'm as broke as can be so $5 is the best I can do for now :/

Jintor

Urgh so tempted to drop $100 but I gotta buy a present and all these other things

but on the other thing I'm writing a pretty big article so maybe I can just... spend in... advance...

uh i make bad money decisions urrrghhhh

I look forward to talking about it on NeoNeoGaf.

It could just be a placeholder, it was the date that came up when backing it. I don't see it mentioned specifically elsewhere.

Urgh so tempted to drop $100 but I gotta buy a present and all these other things

but on the other thing I'm writing a pretty big article so maybe I can just... spend in... advance...

You won't be charged until August 7th.

OceanBlue

I see someone bumped the LWA OT thread. Maybe it needs a title change? Or maybe someone should make a new thread about the Kickstarter?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

I know how you feel, I need to pay my school loan bill in the next few days so I need to save what I can for that. Afterwards I can contribute more.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do they have a separate kickstarter for the Japanese fans? I'm surprised they got Otsuka to speak in English.

EDIT: Should have watched the entire video lol. Pretty funny how they are aware that most of the support comes from overseas!

Do they have a separate kickstarter for the Japanese fans? I'm surprised they got Otsuka to speak in English.

From what they said in the video it seems like they are just hoping some Japanese fans contribute via their amazon accounts. The western audience seems to be the main target here.

Its need to reach 1 million or something to reach that.

This Kickstarter is looking to fund 15 minutes with $150,000, so that's $10,000 per minute. Counting the 20 minutes already funded and aiming for a final project of 80 minutes, which is long enough to be considered a full-length feature, the Kickstarter would need to raise $600,000.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yoshinari Yoh bringing that thumbs up action at the end of the project video.

ANIME IS SAVED.
Mr. Yoshinari, how awesome is Studio Trigger?
IwtKfvu.jpg
So awesome.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
For as much as I enjoyed LWA I have a hard time getting excited about this Kickstarter. A release date of Winter 2014 seems incredibly distant for such a small dose, and dropping $50 for a twenty minute Blu-Ray isn't super appealing.
Hyouka 14
And meanwhile, as all this was going on, Oreki sat and watched from above. .Well, he threw down a bag of flour to Satoshi that ended up saving them in the contest, but yeah. Is he really that lazy and apathetic? I don't know. I guess I get it; I'm very introverted and would be exhausted from being out in that festival for even a little while...but shit, I'd feel like crap if I just sat all by myself while all this was happening the whole time. Maybe it's because he doesn't feel he belongs in an environment like that, or feels he isn't welcome (I feel like that sometimes).

Or maybe he's lazy and just doesn't give a fuck. I don't know. I'll see.
Someone has to stay and man the room to sell copies of the book.

fertygo

This Kickstarter is looking to fund 15 minutes with $150,000, so that's $10,000 per minute. Counting the 20 minutes already funded and aiming for a final project of 80 minutes, which is long enough to be considered a full-length feature, the Kickstarter would need to raise $600,000.
I doubt its work simply like that, maybe those 150k will used for more key animation that they want to fill,, but for full length movie they need to up the resource again (background, voice acting, etc)

Well I love that to happen.

From what they said in the video it seems like they are just hoping some Japanese fans contribute via their amazon accounts. The western audience seems to be the main target here.

So was LWA more popular in the West than it was in Japan, or something? That'd be the only explanation for that, I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom