• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
WataMote - 01 (RAW)

Dat OP, holy shit. Didn't cringe as much as I thought I would, mostly 'cause the chapters that were covered I've read a bajillion times already. I'm just waiting for them to get to the panty-shopping chapter.

I didn't know Tomoki read Arachnid:

E311JaL.png

Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun 14

AIuqa0Sl.jpg

What I do like about this was that there was minimal get everyone up to speed with the setting that usually plagues season two shows. Instead, they just threw us into a plot that was basically already going.

Still the same old, very interesting story begin set up where slowly I guess tossing out hints towards that main plot that I don't really remember anymore.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! OVA (13)

THESE ARE REAL SPOILERS

At the very end,
Yuuta and Rikka do not kiss.

However,
Dekomori and Nibutani do. Epic yuri action up in this bitch.

I'm so glad they're making a second season of this.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! OVA (13)

THESE ARE REAL SPOILERS

At the very end,
Yuuta and Rikka do not kiss.

However,
Dekomori and Nibutani do. Epic yuri action up in this bitch.

I'm so glad they're making a second season of this.

That was one of the best things ever. Plenty of room for best things in my world but thats one!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Watamote 1

A graphic portrayal of the dangers of duckface.

Great episode. Amazing OP, really good animation, and a great mix of funny and awkward. Loved it. Looking forward to more!

Geez all these impressions make me want to do my free trial of Crunchyroll, just to see Watamote already. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow to watch it, but from what I saw of the first few minutes it looks very good.

Fate/Zero is fucking awesome compared to Staynight..

So far favorite Episode is the Grail Dialogue, Kiritsugu is fucking awesome,
Poor Lancer his fight with Saber got punk'd

Fate/Zero is fucking awesome compared to Staynight..

So far favorite Episode is the Grail Dialogue, Kiritsugu is fucking awesome,
Poor Lancer his fight with Saber got punk'd

It's probably my favorite episode of the show.

You know just as well as I do that a $5 Inferno Cop s2 Kickstarter would be a better value.
They should have done an Inferno Cop Kickstarter. Turning Girls isn't cutting it.

Watamote 01

BxN9GlLl.jpg

Best ototo.

Besides cringing here and there, this wasn't bad. I liked the style they used for this and it was definitely pretty well animated. The OP is pretty awesome as well as the ED.

I wonder how long I can last with all that cringe.

Watamote 1

This was a damn good adaptation. I thought Tomoko's voice was going to be way too awkward but the seiyuu fucking nailed it.

The only thing I'm cringing at is the OP. I really don't care for the song.

jgminto

WataMote 1
ibf9695Cq0eEE.png

That was just fantastic.

"I'm...coming SOOOOOOOOOOON!"

This show has the whole package. The comedy is fantastic. A great blend of wit and fairly dark and personal themes. And the voice acting is a huge part of that. Izumi Kitta as Tomoko is just perfect. She goes from pissed off sarcasm to psycho killer to adorable shyness in the span of minutes and they are all executed flawlessly. The other vo was executed well also, Tomoki sounds as grumpy as he looks, but her performance really makes the show.
The visuals are super interesting, with an awesome use of colour and rapid changes of style. The animation is also quite nice when it wants to be. With little animation flourishes here and there that are a nice touch. The music is really interesting too, with an odd soundtrack that wouldn't be out of place in old Looney Toons.

It's been a while since I've seen a really good dark comedy and that's what this looks to be shaping into. Bring it on!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Woah Yoshinari worked in Pokémon? I assume the kickstarter page means the 2011 movie and not the season. Now I'm curious to watch it.

• WATAMOTE ~No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!~ 01
It's finally here you fools.

I had no idea there were dating sims on the 3DS. Oh wait Love Plus.

...Okay I totally change my mind, I think I like this OP, even if it probably makes our adorable little protag look more like a maniac than simply just socially awkward.

I'm really liking the audio design in this show. The music is definitely unique. For some reason it reminds me of Wario Land for the Game Boy. hehehe.

Wow that game made me a might uncomfortable lol.

And today I learned what Gestaltzerfall is.

I'm loving how crazy over-exaggerated everything is. It's perfect for this show.
Hey guys look, it's Amanda Bynes! ): Beware the duckface.

cxcNSxh.png

I wonder how many shows WcDonalds appears in.

knRkJN3.png

A metaphor for anime as a whole?

Man, I can tell this show is totally going to deliver this season. Tomoko is such an endearing character.
Thank you 4chan?

Utena: Student Council Saga (Episodes 1-12)

The stuff I had problems with this arc can all be drawn back to a single source, Nanami. That character is horrible, and not in a fun way. Her antics are just annoying. The episode that's just her trying to screw over Anthy in various ways is just awful. Only episode I'd call outright bad. Her relationship with her brother is creepy in a way that's just not all that interesting and she doesn't really add to the show. They really need to do something to change this character going forward to make it interesting.

Is it common for Utena impressions to find a character to really hate or is it just the few impressions I've managed to read after finishing the show? I don't actively hate him but I never really cared for Miki. He serves a role in being the
friendly bridge between Utena x Anthy and the student council and Shiori wouldn't have much character without him but after episode 5 there was nothing really done with him. If his whole point was to be a stagnant character then I feel the black rose arc showcased characters being trapped in the status quo far more effectively while giving plenty of characters more depth than Miki had.

7th is going to scrounge up $10,000 for this kickstarter somehow and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did.

EDIT - I'm as broke as can be so $5 is the best I can do for now :/

Aw yiss. Mother fucking LWA 2. $100 backed. I'll be disappointed if 7th doesn't take one of the 10k spots.

Maybe 7th already backing that 2k spot.

Is 7th a part of the 1% or is he just that willing to take a mortgage for TRIGGER?

Watamote 1

OP/ED of the summer

Also a reminder of how ugly she is. This is about what I expected from the show itself, and right now, it'll be a battle to see how much I cringe as I watch it for unexplainable reasons.

Bring on next week.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 19

Hana-chan looked happier with Doremi solution.
Is Pop-chan not good enough for
magical stage? Doremi and the others did it before when they were just witch apprentices.
It was nice to have a look at their
kindergarten time.

Cheska

You guys weren't kidding about Sword Art Online, I want that time back x_x

Also, you got me all excited for Hyouka and now I find out it's now not even on crunchyroll :(

Dresden

wahjahmote - 01

I don't think the material is enough to support full-length episodes, as segmented as they are. Shorter runtime like Azazel-san/Muromi-san or even Aiura would be welcomed here. There's an uncomfortable edge to everything, not necessarily due to the material but rather the feeling that it's like looking through a livecam--since most of the gags are so solitary and convulse away on their own, I don't know, it feels like, performance art, the character vomiting and self-loathing away for the amusement of the audience.

I think it picks up a bit in the second half, and I'm grappling with the concept of Oonuma being a good director. I'll return to this idea once I go through Dawn Maiden.

+ I like the OP quite a bit. It's fitting for the show. Is that Konomi Suzuki again?

+ The voicework for Tomoko is good stuff.

+ Hey look, Oreki and his sister pre-Hyouka.

Hattori

Banned
ughhh I want to watch Watamote, but I'm so close to the conclusion of Danganronpa (just taking a quick break.) Gonna have to endure...

Articalys

Just for you guys, an except from Makoto Shinkai's Q&A panel at AX:
I'm always taken aback by how beautiful all the skies are in your works. What's the philosophy behind the color in your work, especially in your skies?

Sometimes when I'm drawing a cloud, I think, maybe the cloud is round-shaped, and I want to draw one such that it would make the audience think, “I want to stand on that cloud.” I know it's not realistic, but I'm always thinking about how to make a beautiful cloud. Sometimes I draw skyscrapers and there are tiny windows, just two pixels wide. But I'm always thinking about how to make it so that you imagine what's behind the window, like somebody's living there.

I grew up in the countryside when I was a little kid. That was before Nintendo. The only way I could spend time was to watch the sky and the mountains; that was all I could do back then. So now I'm trying to recreate what I imagined back when I was watching these sceneries, like “I want to stand on that cloud,” or maybe some monster in the trees on the mountain. That imagination is what I want to include in the backgrounds, and then I try and create more details.

Watamote 1

Excellent. This is show of the season right here, folks.

My god, reading it was hard enough, but the anime catapults this into a whole new tier of discomfort. The denial, the disproportionate self-rewarding, the awkwardness in general; THIS is my childhood right here (and to some extent, now as well), so of course I can both empathize with and seriously pity Tomoko. The casting is absolutely perfect and the direction is more than I expected. That Death Note reference was really something, yet it fits so well.

I don't know why I'm so enthusiastic about something that will surely make me depressed, but yeah, this is going to be a very good show.

Edit: Goddamit Peace, that's the shot I used :/

A while back, I stated that I would post my impressions of Neon Genesis Evangelion by episode.

I have compiled them all from episode 1 to episode 18, and will post 9 at a time.
The rest of the episodes will come when I watch them.
They are rather short because I watch like, 5 at a time.

Episode 1:
I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character, I hate the main character...

Episode 2:
GO GIANT ROBOT WITH LITTLE KNIFE GO. EYE STAB EYE STAB YES.

Episode 3:
Oh, man. I did not see that coming.
That battle with the angel was pretty messed up.
Shinji is not that bad of a character, I guess. I mean, he seems like a real kid.
Also, more characters. Woo.

Episode 4:
I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY. Except I did again because reasons. Also, yay friends. Maybe they won't die like in every anime ever.

Episode 5:
Heh, boobies. Booooooobies.
Also, Rei is
kinda messed up. I like her character. There's something that's not really clear at this point about her. Shinji's dad is also pretty damn weird.

Episode 6:
Really really really good. I felt like both of the "main" characters have been developed very well with these two episodes.
Also, stealing giant sniper rifles is wrong, kids.

Episode 7:
Man, FUCK your giant robot. Ours is better.
Also, Misato is a righteous character. She's complex, well developed, and has personality.

Episode 8:
Asuka is a massive bitch. I hated her so much I almost quit the series.

Episode 9:
Well, shit. Forget Episode 8's impression.

iavi

Holy Hell, Trigger's already at 90k+ with that KS. They're probably going to go way over the required.

Full film, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom