• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Its not like it NEEDS to be done by KyoAni :p

But, Gatoh is the author and he mostly works with KyoAni nowadays...

I want* my 2D mechs and the only studios who might (and even that's not a guarantee) are BONES and KyoAni.

*Replace want with need

I'm still fond of FMP, but I don't know why they'd work on the property again - there's no real incentive anymore for kyoani. And I'd hope that Takemoto is working on something not FMP.

I think a new FMP will happen at some point, but it's not going to be anything fans will be happy about.

It definitely wasn't KyoAni's best selling series (rather the opposite I guess). That said the low sales could be possibly compensated for by an Another! sales increase. We've seen a bunch of sequels get greenlit due to manga/novel sales. Also staff interest can do wonders. I want Takemoto to do one big hurrah then he can work on however many Hyouka sequels he wants.

Now Another! anime is probably coming but I doubt KyoAni would do that one.

I have given up on FMP and I truly believe that if there is more FMP to be done, its gonna be an adaptation of Another. That's the ongoing series and that's the one that makes more financial sense.

I think that'd be more work if anything.

They'd have to change a LOT if they wanted to make Another work without explaining how the first series ended. Much of the new series is dependent on your knowledge of the latter chunks of FMP! and why things are the way they are/what happened to the characters.

Also Kurtz as a drunk humbo living in Texas. Still dying.

On the plus side, Another is actually a ton of fun.

Something about that summary makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.
I want Cure Sebastian!

Yep, closest we'll get too

Quick answer : ( hard day and i'm tired )

The thing is with milky rose is that when the other 5 caught up to her , she got ....AN UPGRADE that made her even more powerfull , and aside from the finale that was confusing in term fo power levels , i don't think they caught up with her.

As for catching up with cure Ace , it's still possible , as long as cure rosetta stop acting like regal ( symphonia ) and makopi finally decides to level up her game ( because let's face it it's been 10 eps where she was more than disapointing )

More like 16 episodes. Right now, everyone else can't KO a Selfish without Mana, and did far less than Mana's civilian mode. They're extremely pathetic right now.

Dresden

They'd have to change a LOT if they wanted to make Another work without explaining how the first series ended. Much of the new series is dependent on your knowledge of the latter chunks of FMP! and why things are the way they are/what happened to the characters.

3-minute flash anime don't need to explain anything!

Jarmel

Banned

They could get away with it but it would leave a sour taste in a lot of people's mouthes. They would have to pull a TWGOK S3 and just skip forward while doing some shitty flashbacks. I actually thought about this and I can't think of many cases where an anime series sequel/spinoff will jump forward past a prior one with the source material actually existing and just leaving it to the audience's imagination. It's not an elegant way of doing it.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 31

The new
wizards
got the first two letters right, they just needed to end it with CL.
New plastic shit to buy, but does it have cross-play with the cell phones?
Q: How do I teach
my baby how to walk
?
(Me):
Put her on a training sea
t.
(Onpu-chan):
Baby food
(Doremi-chan): Steak!
(Hazuki-chan):
Butterfly
(Aiko-chan):
Harmonica
Atarimeko-chan was always walking, right?

CyfzufO.png

I haven't watched any of Free and yet I'm still OK with this.

They could get away with it but it would leave a sour taste in a lot of people's mouthes. They would have to pull a TWGOK S3 and just skip forward while doing some shitty flashbacks. I actually thought about this and I can't think of many cases where an anime series sequel/spinoff will jump forward past a prior one with the source material actually existing and just leaving it to the audience's imagination. It's not an elegant way of doing it.

Definitely not. And the other problem is that the FMP! anime never got to a point where the main conflict of the series was ever even defined. You had a very very light intro of the main villain, a couple of names, and that's it.

The Second Raid essentially marked the beginning of FMP!'s story, so that's a huge amount of material to leap over, not to mention a ten year gap between the end of FMP! and the beginning of Another.

Dresden

It definitely wasn't KyoAni's best selling series (rather the opposite I guess). That said the low sales could be possibly compensated for by an Another! sales increase. We've seen a bunch of sequels get greenlit due to manga/novel sales. Also staff interest can do wonders. I want Takemoto to do one big hurrah then he can work on however many Hyouka sequels he wants.

Now Another! anime is probably coming but I doubt KyoAni would do that one.

I just don't think there's a reason for them to work on FMP again, considering where they are at now. They're no longer subcontractors looking to produce a show of their own for the first time - they're developing their own franchises to profit off of and going back to a mid-tier property like FMP makes no sense. It's a different studio with a different standard for success and quality, and I'm not sure if a production committee would be willing to pony up the cash for the kind of work they'd do, either.

Jarmel

Banned
I just don't think there's a reason for them to work on FMP again, considering where they are at now. They're no longer subcontractors looking to produce a show of their own for the first time - they're developing their own franchises to profit off of and going back to a mid-tier property like FMP makes no sense. It's a different studio with a different standard for success and quality, and I'm not sure if a production committee would be willing to pony up the cash for the kind of work they'd do, either.

I do think they're going to continue doing adaptations although doing their own franchises will also be added into the mix. You don't want every play to be a Hail Mary after all. The success record for their original stuff has also been pretty mixed so far. Now whether they do FMP compared to Haruhi, who knows? Although the Haruhi novels being essentially dead in the water does decrease the odds of further works. It's definitely a long-shot no doubt about it though.

FMP 3 could be made by Manglobe, you just can see that.

Manglobe had one hell of a fall and a quick one at that. Jesus they were do Michiko and Samurai Champloo at one point. Look at those fuckers now.

CorvoSol

FMP Sigma's supposed to end soon right? Hopefully that would be enough to get more FMP anime done. :(

Like I said, the skeletal remains of S4 hopefuls.

Uhh... I must've missed something still cuz I don't get it.

I posted the picture ironically. I hated Suguha so much that I blamed her for ruining the show single handedly. She's possibly my most hated anime character ever.

Just to get everyone hyped for no reason, there is a big FMP announcement coming in a couple of weeks. It's FMP's 15th anniversary and so it's an anniversary announcement. It's supposed to not be related to the blu-rays coming out.

So we just have to wait a couple of weeks for that KyoAni S4 announcement.

Don't do this to me. I can't hope again.

I have given up on FMP and I truly believe that if there is more FMP to be done, its gonna be an adaptation of Another. That's the ongoing series and that's the one that makes more financial sense.

Don't forget the CG mechs.

I think a new FMP will happen at some point, but it's not going to be anything fans will be happy about.

Probably.

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking of mecha, PSA announcement:

Pacific Rim comes out tomorrow and all of us weaboos need to go support it. We need more quality mechas in Western films.

zeroshiki

I do think they're going to continue doing adaptations although doing their own franchises will also be added into the mix. You don't want every play to be a Hail Mary after all. The success record for their original stuff has also been pretty mixed so far. Now whether they do FMP compared to Haruhi, who knows? Although the Haruhi novels being essentially dead in the water does decrease the odds of further works. It's definitely a long-shot no doubt about it though.

I think another movie is more likely for Haruhi at this point and might be something that Takemoto is interested in doing again.

I'm holding out hope for the next K-On! movie myself. With Tamako over, Yamada is free to do whatever.
I'm, like, half joking

Nudull

Banned
School Days - 11

We get it, School Days, you want us to be as aroused and depraved as Makoto is, even in the wake of the previous ten episodes of pain. Good for you. Also, it seems that the harem has claimed another, and yet I love how nonchalant and accepting Makoto and Hikari are about it all. There is no goddamn hope.

Um...what exactly is under those rags, Katsura? :eek:

Hikari, you are the fucking worst, in so many ways. So many.

Oh fuck me, the harem is reaching pandemic levels, we need to nuke this school yesterday!

I think Katsura's completely gone, guys. I just can't. ;_;

No. NO. Fuck you, School Days. You're not bringing a pregnancy into this. Fuck you, fuck Makoto, and fuck everything.

And speaking of everything, everything seems to finally be falling apart for our dear, brainless protagonist. I feel like I should be happy, but this is such a hollow victory that I'm way too worn to even call it as such. And fuck this ending, Makoto doesn't deserve shit.

Fuck Christmas.

So. I don't know if I should feel accomplished or disturbed at myself for making it this far. I need something to hug.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 11

Just realized the last episode had basically zero Count-on-screen action. Let's not let that happen again please.

Y'all done fucked up now.

Albert, you will never cease to be a fucking putz, will you? Goddamn son.

CorvoSol

I don't want to leave my house though

The outside world is scary. My stuff isn't there.

The Count of Monte Cristo 11

Just realized the last episode had basically zero Count-on-screen action. Let's not let that happen again please.

Y'all done fucked up now.

Albert, you will never cease to be a fucking putz, will you? Goddamn son.

The Count couldn't accomplish like, half of what he does with as much ease as he does if Albert was not such a putz. The real question is whether the Count prepared for that, or if he'd originally intended to put more effort into things before finding out that Albert was willing to pave the damn road for him.

zeroshiki

Hopefully they show Pacific Rim sooner rather than later. GI Joe 2 opened like 3 weeks ago.

Pacific Rim does have Japanese actors in it, especially the adorable Mana Ashida. Maybe that will make them show it sooner.

20130711-00000010-sanspo-000-3-view.jpg

Hayate no Gotoku! 14

05KI5cLl.jpg

Art.

I do like how Hayate didn't nosedive into depression. Also, new ED and still no clue if I'm ever going to hit material I haven't watched yet!

Hayate no Gotoku! 14

05KI5cLl.jpg

Art.

I do like how Hayate didn't nosedive into depression. Also, new ED and still no clue if I'm ever going to hit material I haven't watched yet!

I really need to re-watch this show because every picture you post I have no clue what's happening. I watched the show like 5 years ago so it might be time for me to have a dive back in memory lane. How do you think of the show so far?

I really need to re-watch this show because every picture you post I have no clue what's happening. I watched the show like 5 years ago so it might be time for me to have a dive back in memory lane. How do you think of the show so far?

I enjoy the jokes and references even though I already know what's happening from probably already watching the episode and having probably read that part of the manga.

I'm looking forward to hitting the new stuff but still enjoying it.

Jex

I really liked the opening episode. I just recall it being sort of jarring how it transitioned from that to something a little more normal.

That really didn't make any sense. If you're going to direct your episode in a really disorienting, disjointed manner you must have some good reason for doing so. The fact that the second episode was shot in a fairly traditional sense suggests that the first episode was just being obscure for the sake of being obscure, which isn't really a good thing. In something like Serial Experiments Lain the direct is weird throughout and there's a very good story reason for that.

iavi

Dreamcrusher

On a completely unrelated note, I've begun watching Toradora again; I NEVER knew that show would stick with me throughout the years the way it has. Not quite Watanabe-tier in terms of rewatches--those are annual, but definitely everycoupleyears-tier.

Nudull

Banned
Speaking of mecha, PSA announcement:

Pacific Rim comes out tomorrow and all of us weaboos need to go support it. We need more quality mechas in Western films.

This will ultimately depend on how much my job interview eats up my day, tomorrow, but I hope I can see it, then.

Jex

The Skull Man 02
You can sort of already tell where this is gonna go.
Bike girl and the other dude are in this together in a quest for revenge and the old guy is on their tail I bet with the pharmaceutical involved in all this.
I have to say I find the characters pretty charming so far while I'm sure this will blow up sooner rather than later. I love the 'partner' girl's design!

That's what you think.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 32

If your
fairy
ever tries to evolve press B. I don't know, I think the clothes are horrible.
That blond brat who keeps talking in engrish is getting on my nerves,
and Oyajiide got what he deserved
...no wait, not.

Chuck

Still without luck
Free 2

Good stuff and the story is moving along nicely. But man that fangirl shit was lame as fuck.
I hope she's not actually going to be the manager so we have another Kuroko situation of lame girl character as the stand in for the fujoshi watcher. That would kind of be the worst thing.

Jex

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

So what you're saying is wait for the dub?

Jex

Will Disney even release this movie in the West? I'm not sure how this movie will be received in America or especially Korea, China and the rest of Asia. Its gonna be about glorious Nippon and how that one dude invented the Japanese fighter planes used in WW2 right?

It's a Hayo Miyazaki Ghibli movie, it will eventually seem some form of release in the West, although there's no way they'd be pushing it out like Ponyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom