• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Its mine too.

Some people are gonna go all hipster here and claim Cagliostoro or something but I've always felt that Spirited Away was Miyazaki at the peak of his craft. Its about one girl's journey all alone in an unfamiliar world. The train scene is one of the best Ghibli moments I have ever seen.

Yes, the world of prostitution.

Damn, Dresden way ahead of me.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 12

So with some sweet Sakuga action, we learn that Max is working against the Monarchies of the world, looking to become the ruler of it all, potentially at least. Not too far off of his real world counterpart, the revolutionary.
And now I guess we're gonna set our sights on a third land to explore alternate history
England here we come!

So basically, D'Eon hasn't killed anyone in this show so far I don't think. It's not cause he's an unskilled swordsman, we've seen that he is, but basically Lia does all the killing for him. I don't know if this the writers being just too fixated on the whole Lia-is-special-and-cool thing, or if later on they like need some one like pure or whatever and this is their way of saving D'Eon from experiencing killing? I don't know, that's just stupid if so.

Hey
Durand
, since D'Eon is also Lia
you should totally just hook up with him. I mean, you're Lia's lover after all.
:dtl

Damn, Peter was an utter dick but that was fucking brutal to watch. Like...shit.

I'm having a hard time following Madam Pompadour's motives. What exactly are her end goals? Is she in alliance with the Revolutionary Brethren and Max? Or just on a common path? She seems to be working for a different version of France while he seems to just be working for something else entirely.

Katarina's kinda not following Elizabeth's plans for russia...hmm...

And thus ends our Russian Arc.
Onwards to the English Arc!

Also, I know who the best girl is in this show, but I won't reveal who I picked until the end ;)

The Count couldn't accomplish like, half of what he does with as much ease as he does if Albert was not such a putz. The real question is whether the Count prepared for that, or if he'd originally intended to put more effort into things before finding out that Albert was willing to pave the damn road for him.

I don't know. A lot of the stuff that is going on now was I think initially catalyzed by his meeting with Albert, but honestly most of the stuff happening now in the series is largely just the Count being baller as fuck and really less and less on Albert to get him involved in shit.

yami4ct

Speaking of mecha, PSA announcement:

Pacific Rim comes out tomorrow and all of us weaboos need to go support it. We need more quality mechas in Western films.

Got my 10 PM IMAX ticket ready for tomorrow. DAT POSTER! Cannot wait. Mecha was my gateway into anime. I wouldn't miss a film like this for the world.

It's a Hayo Miyazaki Ghibli movie, it will eventually seem some form of release in the West, although there's no way they'd be pushing it out like Ponyo.

It'll hit pretty much any reasonably sized city, I imagine. Won't be near as wide as Ponyo, but I was surprised to see how wide Arriety got. Family friendly probably helped that one. Poppy Hill was pretty limited, though. I imagine it'll fall between the two. You might have to travel a bit to find a screen, but you'll probably be able to find one.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 6

I don't see the hate for this show at all. Maybe if it was more stuck in E7's shadow, but at the moment it seems to be doin' its own thing, even if that own thing is a fairly typical plot about giant robots fighting giant monsters.

That said, and I know its just my current emotional state, and even though I totally called that this would happen last episode
Mr. Bruno's death still got me a little choked up. Not full on crying The East is Burning Red or Charles and Ray crying, but I still got choked up. That Mr. Bruno had an uncanny resemblance to my dad helped.

Nudull

Banned
tumblr_mpqijoHvJK1ql2sjoo1_250.gif

I believe that gif sums up the episode well :p

Also, I love that we saw more of Makoto. Gimme gimme! :3

Yay~. I could use something sweeter after I finish off School Days. ;u;

yami4ct

I don't see the hate for this show at all. Maybe if it was more stuck in E7's shadow, but at the moment it seems to be doin' its own thing, even if that own thing is a fairly typical plot about giant robots fighting giant monsters.

That said, and I know its just my current emotional state, and even though I totally called that this would happen last episode
Mr. Bruno's death still got me a little choked up. Not full on crying The East is Burning Red or Charles and Ray crying, but I still got choked up. That Mr. Bruno had an uncanny resemblance to my dad helped.

All I can say is, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The first few episodes are boring, but not an atrocity. It's the later stuff that turns this show from bad to one of the most awful, hateful, terrible pieces of crap put to screen.

Jarmel

Banned

Bueno

Mature

Watamote - 1
Was actually expecting to dislike this, but I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it. It has the right degree of self-awareness to not be irritating. I hope it keeps its focus on comedy. Could probably do without the hackneyed "I compare everything to video games because I like them" thing. It's really tired. Best character is brother. :DTL

Free - 1
Lovely KyoAni sakuga. I can see this getting boring quickly— similar to how Tamako bored me quickly. Hopefully it focuses on some interesting aspect of swimming and not just friendship.

trejo

Genshiken Nidaime 1

This... is not the Genshiken I remember. I think I'd much rather have the old crew back than these new members.

Also I don't know which one's worse, the new Batou in GitS: Arise or the new Madarame in this but they're both pretty fucking bad.

Cheska

tumblr_mpndmjNMGE1r472txo1_500.gif

Tomoko is so cute, and it looks like a lot of her experiences will totally be something I'm sure most of us in here can relate to. That scene in McDonalds did break my heart though, so sad :(

Yay~. I could use something sweeter after I finish off School Days. ;u;

You won't regret it, it oozes quality :D

yami4ct

You don't understand. CGI mecha = butt ugly

Guys, um, feel free to take away my "mecha fan card", but after seeing Valvrave and MJP this year, I think I've turned. I love my good old hand animated stuff, but CG's gotten to a point where I'm no longer bothered, at least in higher budget cases.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Guys, um, feel free to take away my "mecha fan card", but after seeing Valvrave and MJP this year, I think I've turned. I love my good old hand animated stuff, but CG's gotten to a point where I'm no longer bothered, at least in higher budget cases.
They've brainwashed you. And by them I mean the industry. And by the industry I mean Anno's scum.

iavi

The CG mechs in Valverave didn't bother me in the slightest--hell, I loved them. Then again, I'm one of those that doesn't mind the CG in rebuild.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Free
2SOtFmxl.jpg

YES

Watamote
3GDgvhXl.jpg

I think you get sent to jail in Texas if you say stuff like that.
And man, you could feel the Shin Oonuma dripping off this episode. It's not quite Dusk Maiden (I was hoping for a random out of continuity pilot episode that confused everyone and got everyone angry!), but it just looked like a show he would do.
Also, it's funny how this show is basically TWGOK x Aku no Hana.

Doggie Weapons
1176xc9l.jpg

JkM3qkHl.jpg

I will say one thing, at least the dere turn happened fast and it happened hard.

CorvoSol

Bunny Drop 6

Kouki-san's mom is so hot. Daikichi definitely wants her, hahaha. Now, on to the aaaaaaaaaws. Yup. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW. I legit smiled when
Rin's tree and Daikichi's turned out to be the same.

The most interesting character for me, so far, is Rin's mother, Masako. There's a lot about the lady that remains a complete enigma, and her motives and attitudes seem almost entirely alien. I think the audience is meant, however, to react as Daikichi does to her: with consternation, but also a great deal of granting the benefit of the doubt. Daikichi has made every effort not to hate this woman, even though he himself doesn't understand her or what she's done at all.

I really hope some effort is made to better explain her than what currently has before the show's ending. I also kinda hope that Daikichi will hook up with Kouki's mom.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zac's got to Zac, I guess.
It's funny how it's gotten to the point where I might even agree with him, I have to hate myself for sharing a similar opinion. At least I can just skip the podcasts where he doesn't have a guest on now.

The funny thing is that she mentions it outright in the episode. What did he watch???
The amazing thing about this show is that it annoys both Chuck and SDBurton. Based Kyoani.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 33

The only future I can see for Shimakura,
after the cold shoulder everyone gave to her
, is losing all her emotions and turning into Hata-san seitokai yakuindomo.
Jerk Kotake is back. ¬¬
They should have used magic to take
Tamaki Reika
out of all the photos.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You don't understand. CGI mecha = butt ugly

I can see people not liking the designs for one reason or another, but since ILM goes for photorealism and insane detail you'll at least be seeing something never really done before for this genre. :p

USA Today article on the VFX. A few battle scene descriptors may be considered very slight spoilers to anyone wanting to stay completely in the dark, but these sections seemed safe:

"These robots have shoulders and hips, like we do, but we had to dive deep into their joints and make sure everything in there moved as it logically would for a machine," he says.

That meant making sure that all the machine-like pistons and connecting rods that animated a joint actually moved whenever a Jaeger took a step, even if those movements are barely discernible to the human eye.

"One of our questions was always, 'Could somebody manufacture that?' And if the answer was no, we started over," says Alex Jaeger, a senior visual-effects art director on the project. "If you think about these robots as battleships, that's where we were going. Every rivet and plate had to make sense. And all the battle damage also had to be reflected on those panels."

"Guillermo was all over almost every aspect of this film," says Jaeger with a laugh. "Some directors tell you, 'Let's just get it done.' And he'd come to a meeting and say (of a scene), 'Can we make this room feel like it's a hothouse filled with steam?' "

Del Toro readily admits he was like a kid in a toyshop. Although he put the project up for bid, he not-so-secretly hoped ILM would get the job.

"I come from an optical effects background, and I've always had immense respect for what these guys have done," says del Toro, whose surreal sensibilities are on display in movies such as 2006's Pan's Labyrinth. "Often, people working with effects are scolded, 'You care more about the effects than the characters.' But in this case, the effects are the characters."

The Mexican director says working with ILM was "a true partnership, much like the one a director might have with an actor or cinematographer." He pushed the team hard to nail digital effects such as speed of motion, camera angles and hyper-real Jaeger and Kaiju surface details, "from ripped skin to scarred metal plates."

Jarmel

Banned
And man, you could feel the Shin Oonuma dripping off this episode.

So I decided to check what Oonuma's involvement was and it turns out he's directing both this and Prisma Ilya at the same time. What the hell? Are there any other examples of a director directing two shows airing at the same time.

CorvoSol

Turn it in. For Valvrave I could've let you keep it, since they're more over designed than poorly animated.

But MJP? MJP? That obscene, filthy, heinous abyss of a show?

Turn it in.

All I can say is, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The first few episodes are boring, but not an atrocity. It's the later stuff that turns this show from bad to one of the most awful, hateful, terrible pieces of crap put to screen.

I guess. So far it's been enjoyable.

I never know if AnimeGAF is being ironic or not when it says stuff like this to me. Like does Wonzo really like GlassFleet? Or does he like it just as I "liked" Sword Art Online? Sometimes you just can't help but :kayos.

So glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

Dresden

So I decided to check what Oonuma's involvement was and it turns out he's directing both this and Prisma Ilya at the same time. What the hell? Are there any other examples of a director directing two shows airing at the same time.

It happens more than you'd expect. Ayumu Watanabe, Tatsuo Sato, etc, those just come to mind right now.

Of course it just works out better for some.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I guess it depends if he's directing or Shinboing. lol

Mature

Maybe not, but are you telling me you never felt out of place or tried to fit in?
I guess in the broadest most general theme of Watamote, yes, myself and most people can relate. I just suspect people take, what appear to be, the comedic, caricatured strokes of Watamote and transform them into some personal, revelatory statement.

yami4ct

I can see people not liking the designs for one reason or another, but since ILM goes for photorealism and insane detail you'll at least be seeing something never really done before for this genre. :p

USA Today article on the VFX. A few battle scene descriptors may be considered very slight spoilers to anyone wanting to stay completely in the dark, but these sections seemed safe:

It's crazy the distances VFX people have to go for all their crazy robot models. Even if you can't see a lot of what they do, you certainly "feel" it. Even if the little motions are barely perceptible, the difference between them being there and not being there really helps clear the uncanny valley. You might not consciously notice them, but they play a part in your unconscious perception. Love interviews like that.

yami4ct

Turn it in. For Valvrave I could've let you keep it, since they're more over designed than poorly animated.

But MJP? MJP? That obscene, filthy, heinous abyss of a show?

Turn it in.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the writing, but man it's hard to not admit it's a great looking show, from a mecha battle standpoint.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Am I brainwashed or is it really you who's been compromised?
Can't it be both? :p
Sooner or later all your favorite directors will betray you.

I fully expect the new Sailor Moon to have CG transformations.
Nah, it's gonna be like the Precure EDs and it will be ALL CGI.
Haha, I don't really hate CGI mecha; otherwise how would I even be able to play any videogames? It's just an old joke around this place... although the egregious way most anime studios implement them is something I'm not fond of.

P.S. Anno can suck my balls though.

jgminto

Free! 2

lol that was really good. Much better comedy than the first ep. I think Gou and the teacher mix well with the boys too, the dialogue between them was good. I love Gou's love for muscles, it's a pure, wonderful love. I just hope they don't wear the joke too thin because I think she can be better than a one joke character. I hope we see more of the old manager too, he seemed like a really fun character. If the show can keep up this level of quality I'll be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom