• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ojamajo Doremi # - 34

Since Doremi and Hazuki already
had a fight now it's the time for Aiko and Onpu-chan to have one, and it's long overdue, because they really have opposing personalities like the episode pointed out and Onpu-chan acceptance in the ojamajo group was made somewhat shallow because they are kids and forget/forgive easily and they still had the issues from the time Onpu-chan was with Majo Ruka, not that I don't think she deserved her redemption, but some things happens over time and have to be touched upon.

Even Japan gets its hopes up

3GqiZhH.png

Look what you did Toei, they've proven that I'm not insane for having a shrine.

Can't say I've ever had trouble speaking to a cashier at a convenience store.

Wish I could say the same. First time at the drive-thru was a thousand times worse.

Seriously, severe social anxiety is no joke, which I think Watamote displays well even if some people see it for the comedy rather than the commentary. I fully believe it's at least somewhat of an auto-biography after seeing how much Tomoko's experiences mirror my own.

So I heard Fairy Tail is coming back? is it true, if so I'll start watching it again since I stopped last time because the anime stopped and I hate switching from anime to manga.

Aizo

Banned
Cipher
Oh man. This Phil Collins' music video is pretty funny. That's pretty much what it is. A great man made this .gif so that the greatness that is Cipher could be spread.
zFFuRhO.gif

Articalys

So I heard Fairy Tail is coming back? is it true, if so I'll start watching it again since I stopped last time because the anime stopped and I hate switching from anime to manga.
It's true, but there's no details yet about when it'll be back. I think that it's currently airing in reruns, so whenever those finish up would be a good bet.

wonzo

Banned
Squid Girl OVA2

squidgirlova2.jpg

Inks bream far too long since the last trout of flipping squid puns, this time alongside some great sa"kuda" moments too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Fresh Precure!] 24
Who got all this gratuitous symbolism in my Precure? What is this, an Enokido script? Amazing episode nonetheless and it delivered on tons of Love X Setsuna material.
Poor Wester-san getting NTR'd. :(

Now this is something we hadn't seen yet. Lack of ontological inertia aside, I'm surprised Toei didn't shy away from showing the horrors of AERIAL BOMBARDMENT. If this weren't Precure I'd expect an Anno-worthy psychological breakdown aftermath.

Come the fuck on, Passion's Happiness Hurricane is just a mix of Sailor Moon's Spiral Heart Attack and Rainbow Moon Heartache! Toei you self-plagiarising fucks.

Westlo

I own the first volume of Vamp but I've yet to touch it. I heard it's good though.

Narita seems to be focusing entirely on Baccano and DRR at this point. He basically takes turns writing them. Haha.

I was checking out the status of the fan translations for the Baccano! LNs just than and was surprised too see so much of it was done. I'm obviously interested in checking them out now, do you recommend reading the first 4 LNs considering the anime pretty much mashed them together?

sonicmj1

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 6

I don't see the hate for this show at all. Maybe if it was more stuck in E7's shadow, but at the moment it seems to be doin' its own thing, even if that own thing is a fairly typical plot about giant robots fighting giant monsters.

E7 AO is pretty inoffensive for most of the first half, with the exception of a certain character you just encountered. And then it hits this great high point about halfway through, and you're like, oh man things are about to get so awesome oh my god!

And then a few episodes later, it decides to start digging to see how shitty it can get and it never stops.

[Fresh Precure!] 24

Who got all this gratuitous symbolism in my Precure? What is this, an Enokido script? Amazing episode nonetheless and it delivered on tons of Love X Setsuna material.
Poor Wester-san getting NTR'd. :(

Now this is something we hadn't seen yet. Lack of ontological inertia aside, I'm surprised Toei didn't shy away from showing the horrors of AERIAL BOMBARDMENT. If this weren't Precure I'd expect an Anno-worthy psychological breakdown aftermath.

Come the fuck on, Passion's Happiness Hurricane is just a mix of Sailor Moon's Spiral Heart Attack and Rainbow Moon Heartache! Toei you self-plagiarising fucks.

I'd like to see Precure's Star Gentle Uterus

Blusby

I was checking out the status of the fan translations for the Baccano! LNs just than and was surprised too see so much of it was done. I'm obviously interested in checking them out now, do you recommend reading the first 4 LNs considering the anime pretty much mashed them together?

I've read the LN's the anime covers and I'd say read them as they cut out a bit to fit it into 1 court. You'll get into the minds of the characters and there's set up for an overarching story in the early novels IIRC (Read them about a year ago).
Plus it's always nice to get a refresher on the series.

CorvoSol

Gurren Lagann Gurren Hen pt.1

Oh man I missed this show so much. Forgot how the first parts were just pure, unadulterated fun. The second half is okay, even with Nia, but man the beginning of this show is just so great. The part where Simon and Kamina combine. Bwahahaha.

Such a good show.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl 3

I can see Nagisa being a great source of humor in the episodes to come.

Also, I'm trying to figure out who the hell Chizuru reminds me of. I keep waiting for her to say "ara ara".

cajunator

Banned
Why Madoka? It should say Precure, that'd make more sense.

Naw, I love it!

I need to continue to find out why people hate this show.

I'll be honest, the premise of what they were trying to go for in School Days from what I've seen could have been a really good story.

A somewhat shy boy has a crush on a nice girl so a good friend of his decides to help him, but ends up falling for him instead. I'm sure this has been done a million times before, but that doesn't mean it can't be good if handled correctly.

This doesn't handle it correctly. They make it flat out obvious that Sekai wants Makoto in the beginning. I'd be a lot more interested if they didn't make Makoto a pervert and made Sekai not kiss him in the beginning.

But I've only seen up to episode 4. I've apparently yet to see the true horrors of this supposed spiral

People love hate school days.
its so terrible and thats why its awesomperhaps I should have clarified.

Kayos should be so proud!

Speak for yourself, I think it's fucking great.

It is great. I love school days so much.
its horrible.

cajunator

Banned
School Days - 11

We get it, School Days, you want us to be as aroused and depraved as Makoto is, even in the wake of the previous ten episodes of pain. Good for you. Also, it seems that the harem has claimed another, and yet I love how nonchalant and accepting Makoto and Hikari are about it all. There is no goddamn hope.

Um...what exactly is under those rags, Katsura? :eek:

Hikari, you are the fucking worst, in so many ways. So many.

Oh fuck me, the harem is reaching pandemic levels, we need to nuke this school yesterday!

I think Katsura's completely gone, guys. I just can't. ;_;

No. NO. Fuck you, School Days. You're not bringing a pregnancy into this. Fuck you, fuck Makoto, and fuck everything.

And speaking of everything, everything seems to finally be falling apart for our dear, brainless protagonist. I feel like I should be happy, but this is such a hollow victory that I'm way too worn to even call it as such. And fuck this ending, Makoto doesn't deserve shit.

Fuck Christmas.

So. I don't know if I should feel accomplished or disturbed at myself for making it this far. I need something to hug.

*hugs Nudull
*gives him a penguin

Whats this?

The outside world is scary. My stuff isn't there.

The Count couldn't accomplish like, half of what he does with as much ease as he does if Albert was not such a putz. The real question is whether the Count prepared for that, or if he'd originally intended to put more effort into things before finding out that Albert was willing to pave the damn road for him.

When in the absense of cute I tend to try to propagate it. Like a bubble shield of hnnng through which I navigate the day.

Free 2

Good stuff and the story is moving along nicely. But man that fangirl shit was lame as fuck.
I hope she's not actually going to be the manager so we have another Kuroko situation of lame girl character as the stand in for the fujoshi watcher. That would kind of be the worst thing.

But thats exactly why shes there!
Shes cute though so its all good.

Theonik

That's what you think.
I'm already partially vindicated on my Episode 3 impression post! Will try and get to the end later tonight.

Blame Miyazaki and his filthy mind.
Now I need to actually watch Spirited Away you made me curious.

I endorse this.
image.php

As will I!

School Days - 12 (END)

...the flying fuck did I just witness?
The inevitable ending to making every wrong decision one could make.
Also catharsis.

All of this is brilliant.
Kyubey is just so disturbing to the point that if he's in a picture, it kills it for me. I don't want him staring
What seems to be the problem? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Nudull

Banned
People love hate school days.
its so terrible and thats why its awesomperhaps I should have clarified.

It is great. I love school days so much.
its horrible.

Well, here's where I stand on School Days. Was it a good anime? Hell no.
The plot is nonsensical, the fanservice is so in your face and tasteless that it boarders on parody, and almost no one in the cast have any real redeeming factors that would make you want to continue on to know what happens to them. This show was...an experience. I walked away feeling relief from surviving a hellish and gory nightmare of stupid, rather than anything resembling closure.

Was it fun to watch it all, though? I'd say yes and no.
While it was delightfully entertaining to watch such irritatingly asshatted people fail and fail again in life, I certainly felt uncomfortable during the eventual rape scenes and the sheer amount of abuse that Katsura and some of the others have suffered through because of Makoto, and by the end, even when he got put six feet under by karma, I was left hollow.

Would I see it again? Probably not. It felt best as a one-time thing, and it should probably stay that way.

Well, here's where I stand on School Days. Was it a good anime? Hell no.
The plot is nonsensical, the fanservice is so in your face and tasteless that it boarders on parody, and almost no one in the cast have any real redeeming factors that would make you want to continue on to know what happens to them. This show was...an experience. I walked away feeling relief from surviving a hellish and gory nightmare of stupid, rather than anything resembling closure.

Was it fun to watch it all, though? I'd say yes and no.
While it was delightfully entertaining to watch such irritatingly asshated people fail and fail again in life, I certainly felt uncomfortable during the eventual rape scenes and the sheer amount of abuse that Katsura and some of the others have suffered through because of Makoto, and by the end, even when he got put six feet under by karma, I was left hollow.

Would I see it again? Probably not. It felt best as a one-time thing, and it should probably stay that way.

I think that's pretty much how most people felt about this show.

I gave it a 1 on MAL because it was haunting me for a while lol

cajunator

Banned
tumblr_mpndmjNMGE1r472txo1_500.gif

Tomoko is so cute, and it looks like a lot of her experiences will totally be something I'm sure most of us in here can relate to. That scene in McDonalds did break my heart though, so sad :(

You won't regret it, it oozes quality :D

She really is one of cutest characters to ever exist.
she is lethal levels of hnnngh. That gif up there is a prime example and should have a warning on it.

Can't say I've ever had trouble speaking to a cashier at a convenience store.

Same. Im exact opposite.
how else would I have discovered the cashier watched Juden Chan!

Sooner or later all your favorite directors will betray you.

I fully expect the new Sailor Moon to have CG transformations.

This is when anime would truly die.
cg mechs ok, cg transformations would be infuriating. Now thats not the same as cg assisted like in vividred. That was fine.

I guess in the broadest most general theme of Watamote, yes, myself and most people can relate. I just suspect people take, what appear to be, the comedic, caricatured strokes of Watamote and transform them into some personal, revelatory statement.

Thats probably true.
however if someone truly struggles that much it makes me wanna go visit them and give them a big hug cause they could probably use one.

Start from the beginning. There's enough differences that you're better off knowing the book canon.

cajunator

Banned
School Days - 12 (END)

...the flying fuck did I just witness?

A catharsis

Proper high end CG is likely beyond most anime studios' budgets I'd assume. I was rewatching Stellvia earlier today on a random whim and holy hell the CG looks super dated even for something from '03.

It is definitely dated but Stellvia's good enough to like it despite the bad CG.

I saw someone that had made a transparent version of that gif:

Thank you very squee!

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! - 07

I know some people who will like this show...

Two in particular...

RcQxrfC.gif
KLof82C.gif

Heehee.
what have I created?

Nudull

Banned
She really is one of cutest characters to ever exist.
she is lethal levels of hnnngh. That gif up there is a prime example and should have a warning on it.

That gif broke me. She is such a delight. :33
I wanted to hop on the avatar bandwagon, but then, I'd have to choose between Tomoko and good ol' Washu. :eek:

cajunator

Banned

Episode the Sixth

Fucking before I start this episode can I just say I don't know that I've ever wanted to slap an anime character as hard as I have Madoka? I mean yeah I wanted to punch Shinn Asuka in the face repeatedly until his skull capsized and basically gutpunch Setsuna Fucktard Seiei until he bled and repeatedly knee Flit Asuno in the nads so that the length of his show would be 2/3s less suffering, but Madoka just REEEEEALLY needs to be slapped. Not even for anything related to the plot. Mostly just because she always has this dumbass vacant mopey expression and I can't stand it. I mean I understand that having Satan follow you around 24/7 and constantly be like "HEY SELL YOUR SOUL TO ME OR ELSE." Is a scary thing. BUT REALLY. HER FACE. I JUST.

I just wanna slap her so much. It's like when you want to pinch a baby's face, except older and more violent.

Anyway, on with the show.
Red has the coolest weapon. Chain rods that are simultaneously Dragoon Lances and Hookshots are where it is at. Black is definitely Jesus Christ. Which is the only reasonable explanation for why Satan is so afraid of her. Yes, folks, Jesus is actually a Japanese School Girl. I am now a best selling author.

Or he pilots a super awesome giant robot and nails Mary Magdalene if Mary Magdelene were a pop star and also political equal of Machiavelli. This is all very blasphemous, but at least I'll get a cool wish from a cute little bunny-cat, right? Can I use my wish to save my soul, or is that cheating?

Also I think the ultimate troll of this show would be if Madoka lasts the entire run without ever becoming a Magical Girl. Naming the show Magical Girl Madoka and then never actually having a Magical Girl named Madoka in the show is precisely the kind of thing I'd expect from Japan. Especially at this point in my history with anime.

Also the OP to this show continues to sound horrifyingly similar to something.

Let's review, shall we? Witches are a wellspring of hatred and curses and evil. They begin as Familiars split from other Witches and when they have generated enough evil and hatred, they become Witches of their own, and have their own Grief Seeds, which contain all that evil energy, and which siphon the corruption and evil energy from th Soul Gems of Magical Girls who fight them. So basically Grief Seeds are tiny stones filled with human misery, anguish, avarice, hatred, and corruption.

KYUBE FUCKING EATS THESE THINGS. FOR FOOD. HE LIVES OFF OF THE EVIL FEELS OF HUMANITY. Do you know what such a creature is called in the Slayers universe? A MONSTER. And not one with a lowercase m, either. OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT. KYUBE HAS RED EYES. RUBY EYES. KYUBE IS RUBY EYED SHABRANIGDO.

Now Satan is actually trying to convince a teenage girl that it is important that she kill or allow through inaction people be killed so that she can farm Grief Seeds and become strong enough to kill other Magical Girls. At the which point I must ask: is there even a pretense here? Is Kyube even bothering to hide the fact that he does not care that the Witches be defeated and humanity protected? His singular ambition seems to be forcing these girls to make these contracts, presumably for the sake of harvesting their souls. Er, soul gems, given how he REALLY wants Madoka's.

Speaking of, here he goes trying to convince this impressionable young girl to start using drugs too join this little game. It is obvious to me that Madoka Kaname is Kyube's end game. What he wants beyond her or why he wants her I'm not sure, but it is evident that this rat bastard cat rabbit (try saying that ten times fast) is trying to get this little girl's soul.

Oh! DDR! And Pocky! You know who else liked Pocky? Mr. Wong. And he tried to use young women and the Devil to conquer the universe. So Red is probably not going to turn out to be a nice girl.

"Sore wa . . . himitsu." "That's . . . a secret!" I wish Black were as entertaining as Xellos. If you can't tell why your friend Blue has become so angry here right now, Madoka, it's basically because she's hanging out with the devil. And the devil isn't exactly good for anyone's disposition.

Madoka's mom coming home from "work" at like, three AM. AFFAIIIIIIR. Madoka asks mom advice for how to deal with the devil and Madoka's mom literally tells her "doing the wrong thing is what makes you happy." LADY JUST TRYIN' TO JUSTIFY HER AFFAIR TO HER KID. After a lengthy talk on why cheating, er, lying, er, backstabbing, er, stealing, er, arson, er, whatever is totally justifiable because it isn't, Madoka's mother praises the wonders of alcohol. Madoka wants to get plastered with her mom, too. So they get drunk off their asses, forget this whole mess with Satan, and run away to Vegas to become showgirls.

THE END.

Blue is such good friends with angsty violin boy that she didn't know he was discharged from the hospital. Great friendship there. Ten bucks says Kyube did not just come to Madoka out of the goodness of his heart to warn her that Blue was in trouble. Oh no, she's going to see Blue get beat up so Kyube can offer her the contract FOR THE NINE MILLIONTH TIME. Persistent as fuck.

Although, come to think of it, like Black, Xellos had a tendency to pop up behind people. "Hey, why don't I take this stone that literally embodies your soul and THROW IT OFF OF A FREEWAY." Oh JEEBS, Madoka. I know your mom told you to take chances, make mistakes, and get messy, but I think even her adulterous, alcoholic, moe behind would've told you to think twice before CHUCKING YOUR FRIEND'S EVERLASTING SOUL OFF OF A FREEWAY.

"Oh, did I forget to mention that these soul gems are actually literally the containers of your souls and that should any harm befall or befoul them that harm happens to your souls and that by becoming a Magical Girl you literally agree to me having your soul removed from your body? Silly me." All Cast Goes: "OOOOH, KYUBEY."

If any damage to the body can be repaired via magic, then how exactly did Mami die? I mean, her head was bit off, but if the body means nothing, no big deal, right? "Magical girls are always like this! I mean, why do you always get so upset when you find out I rip your soul out of your body without actually having explained this to you before hand? Why do you always say you feel lied to and cheated and suckered in by my promises of granting wishes just because I didn't tell you the fine print and it wasn't anywhere for you to read? OH HEY MADOKA WANNA BE A MAGICAL GIRL?"

Also "Why do humans have such a problem with where their souls wind up? I don't get it." Is some ominous as fuck statement to make. If the Devil Gundam is a physical metaphor for how the devil corrupts everyone and everything, then Kyube is an example of how the devil deceives and manipulates people. This little cat-rabbit is on the fast track to becoming one of the most evil things in anime.

Holy shit Corvo.
I really enjoy reading your impressions. Probably some of my favorites in these threads.
you also seem to ask the right questions too...
Whether you like the answers remains to be seen.

Valvrave episodes 10 - 12

5O7IbSRl.jpg

Finally am all caught up on Valvrave and holy crap... I was a bit speechless when the rape scene started happening. At first I was like, "why does he need to rip her shirt off to bite her or beat her up?" Considering that's all he had been doing up to this point whenever his curse would take over him momentarily.

But uhhh yeah. Talk about a powerful scene with Saki.

That episode aside I felt the ending was a bit rushed. Too many questions raised too quickly. It would've been cooler if we were told exactly what these non-humans were or whatever.

Episode the Sixth
Anyway, on with the show.
Red has the coolest weapon. Chain rods that are simultaneously Dragoon Lances and Hookshots are where it is at.
Kyoko is best Magical Girl.

If any damage to the body can be repaired via magic, then how exactly did Mami die? I mean, her head was bit off, but if the body means nothing, no big deal, right? "Magical girls are always like this! I mean, why do you always get so upset when you find out I rip your soul out of your body without actually having explained this to you before hand? Why do you always say you feel lied to and cheated and suckered in by my promises of granting wishes just because I didn't tell you the fine print and it wasn't anywhere for you to read? OH HEY MADOKA WANNA BE A MAGICAL GIRL?"

Mami's soul gem materialized into a hair bow on her head when she transforms.
Her soul gem got destroyed when the witch ate her head.

It's true, but there's no details yet about when it'll be back. I think that it's currently airing in reruns, so whenever those finish up would be a good bet.

YESSSSSSSS! The news I was waiting to hear! YESS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom