• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
although the egregious way most anime studios implement them is something I'm not fond of.

Proper high end CG is likely beyond most anime studios' budgets I'd assume. I was rewatching Stellvia earlier today on a random whim and holy hell the CG looks super dated even for something from '03.

Jarmel

Banned
Proper high end CG is likely beyond most anime studios' budgets I'd assume. I was rewatching Stellvia earlier today on a random whim and holy hell the CG looks super dated even for something from '03.

There is stuff from 2011 that looks dated by 03 standards.

School Days - 12 (END)

...the flying fuck did I just witness?

tumblr_lwbpo0mdgu1r7gq2to1_500.gif

tumblr_mpndmjNMGE1r472txo1_500.gif

Tomoko is so cute, and it looks like a lot of her experiences will totally be something I'm sure most of us in here can relate to. That scene in McDonalds did break my heart though, so sad :(

You won't regret it, it oozes quality :D

I found it funny because of how much she overreacted in that scene. She's already shown by herself in class so I think her classmates already implemented her a long time ago of being the lonely girl at school.

Also her excuses for talking to people were funny too. The funny thing is that she didn't even respond when the guy said anything, she just nodded lol.

I enjoy the jokes and references even though I already know what's happening from probably already watching the episode and having probably read that part of the manga.

I'm looking forward to hitting the new stuff but still enjoying it.

I haven't read the manga before but I remember laughing at a lot of the scenes. I liked how different Hayate was when you compared him to other protagonists back in the time it came out. He was quite refreshing to see in an "I'm oblivious to everything and say weird things," kind of protagonist.

The only thing I remember in the show is the old butler. I remember laughing at most of the scenes he was in.

Articalys

http://25.media.tumblr.com/46cfabb60cf41033266a46ecfc6ed89b/tumblr_mpndmjNMGE1r472txo1_500.gif[IMG]

Tomoko is so cute, and it looks like a lot of her experiences will totally be something I'm sure most of us in here can relate to. That scene in McDonalds did break my heart though, so sad :(
[/QUOTE]
I saw someone that had made a transparent version of that gif:
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hzeiCep.gif

zeroshiki

Kind old but for some more upbeat news about Kaze Tachinu, other than Hosoda apparently some big names in the industry also commented on it.

(rough translations)
Higuchi Shinji (Gamera, Eva Remakes, Kill La Kill)

I saw Kaze Tachinu. Its incredible. A movie that brings out the beauty of the Japan of those days, the beautiful planes, the healthy(?) women.

It sits at the top.

The voice of the lead was also great. I'm not just praising him because I work with him.
It will grab and move your soul and make you cry.

Kamiyama Kenji (Ghost in the Shell, Blood the Last Vampire, Eden of the East)

I saw Kaze Tachinu yesterday and Monster's University today. My heart aches whenever I watch wonderful movies. ( ̄ー ̄)yー.'

Articalys

Kind old but for some more upbeat news about Kaze Tachinu, other than Hosoda apparently some big names in the industry also commented on it.

(rough translations)
Higuchi Shinji (Gamera, Eva Remakes, Kill La Kill)

I saw Kaze Tachinu. Its incredible. A movie that brings out the beauty of the Japan of those days, the beautiful planes, the healthy(?) women.

It sits at the top.

The voice of the lead was also great. I'm not just praising him because I work with him.
It will grab and move your soul and make you cry.

Kamiyama Kenji (Ghost in the Shell, Blood the Last Vampire, Eden of the East)

I saw Kaze Tachinu yesterday and Monster's University today. My heart aches whenever I watch wonderful movies. ( ̄ー ̄)yー.'
That... kind of seems at odds with the other stated impressions.

Guess there's not much left to do but hear it for myself... eventually.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 147
Now this is a theme I feel familiar with. Destroying the idea of Princehood and the patriarchal setups that encourage submissive women waiting for men to solve all their problems? Based Ikuhara, it wouldn't be one of you if you weren't pushing some feminist agenda on the viewer.
Moral of the story: more lesbians pls
School Days - 12 (END)

...the flying fuck did I just witness?
Oedipus, Greek tragedy, harem genre, yadda yadda

zeroshiki

That... kind of seems at odds with the other stated impressions.

Guess there's not much left to do but hear it for myself... eventually.

I actually found an article that said that maybe Kaze Tachinu works for old people and/or people in the industry. The negative comments have all come from normal people who got to watch the previews.

yami4ct

Oh right, I forgot Japan has reserved seating in theatres. lol

You still need to camp out in your Totoro cosplay for the nerd experience!

I'm seeing reserved seating being adopted more and more in the US now as well. It's fantastic. Greatest thing to happen to movies in a long time.

zeroshiki

Oh right, I forgot Japan has reserved seating in theatres. lol

You still need to camp out in your Totoro cosplay for the nerd experience!

Wait, they don't have reserved seating in Canada? What barbarism do they engage in up there? Do you have straws for your drinks?

This movie is so mainstream that the true otaku hipster will avoid watching it :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, they don't have reserved seating in Canada? What barbarism do they engage in up there? Do you have straws for your drinks?

This movie is so mainstream that the true otaku hipster will avoid watching it :p
People cosplay for all the big summer movies, I'm sure. lol

And only select screenings have reserved seating here anyway. Imax, liemax, "AVX", etc.

I'm seeing reserved seating being adopted more and more in the US now as well. It's fantastic. Greatest thing to happen to movies in a long time.
Yeah, although they charge more for the privilege of course. lol

yami4ct

Theaters I've been to have always been first come first serve seating for as long as I can remember. Means you needed to come at least a half hour early and sit through a ton of bullshit pre-screening ads to get a good seat. So glad that seems to be changing.

Yeah, although they charge more for the privilege of course. lol

One of the local theaters has staring to do required reserved seating for all showings, no upcharge. Hear a lot of others are thinking about following that model soon.

CorvoSol

I'm not commenting on the quality of the writing, but man it's hard to not admit it's a great looking show, from a mecha battle standpoint.

Still can't agree. The CG in MJP looks and is awful. I'd say I'd sooner gouge my eyes out than watch that shit again, but I'm pretty sure watching it would hurt every bit as much.

zeroshiki

Theaters I've been to have always been first come first serve seating for as long as I can remember. Means you needed to come at least a half hour early and sit through a ton of bullshit pre-screening ads to get a good seat. So glad that seems to be changing.

In Japan, the trailers and ads count as part of the movie :p You arrive at screening time, get in your seat and then are forced to watch 15 mins of previews. Everyone also sits through the credits for some weird reason.

yami4ct

In Japan, the trailers and ads count as part of the movie :p You arrive at screening time, get in your seat and then are forced to watch 15 mins of previews. Everyone also sits through the credits for some weird reason.
It's the same here, only you also get a bunch of extra ads before the pre-movie ads and trailers while you're waiting for showtime. You also get a bunch of stupid movie trivia questions on screen and stuff like that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Everyone also sits through the credits for some weird reason.

Because it's polite I'm guessing? Showing respect to those who created it or something like that perhaps.

Might just be from working at Lucasfilm for almost 11 years, but it was standard policy at company screenings that everyone sit through the credits so you can see your coworkers' and colleagues' names. I still sit through all the credits just to see who worked on what. Lately movie credits take less time to get through than a lot of game credits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because it's polite I'm guessing? Showing respect to those who created it or something like that perhaps.

Might just be from working at Lucasfilm for almost 11 years, but it was standard policy at company screenings that everyone sit through the credits so you can see your coworkers' and colleagues' names. I still sit through all the credits just to see who worked on what. Lately movie credits take less time to get through than a lot of game credits.

Ubisoft is the worst, because they make you sit through the 40 minute credits in order to save.

yami4ct

I usually sit through most of the credits now just to let a crowded theater clear out so I don't have to push my way through. It's cool to see all the different people who helped bring the film to the screen as well.

Jarmel

Banned

If you know people who worked on it, it's kinda different. However for most people they don't know or couldn't remember who worked on what. Also since so many people work on this stuff, they can't really attach a scene to a particular person most of the time. I wouldn't take people leaving while the credits are still going as rude.

CorvoSol

Episode the Sixth

Fucking before I start this episode can I just say I don't know that I've ever wanted to slap an anime character as hard as I have Madoka? I mean yeah I wanted to punch Shinn Asuka in the face repeatedly until his skull capsized and basically gutpunch Setsuna Fucktard Seiei until he bled and repeatedly knee Flit Asuno in the nads so that the length of his show would be 2/3s less suffering, but Madoka just REEEEEALLY needs to be slapped. Not even for anything related to the plot. Mostly just because she always has this dumbass vacant mopey expression and I can't stand it. I mean I understand that having Satan follow you around 24/7 and constantly be like "HEY SELL YOUR SOUL TO ME OR ELSE." Is a scary thing. BUT REALLY. HER FACE. I JUST.

I just wanna slap her so much. It's like when you want to pinch a baby's face, except older and more violent.

Anyway, on with the show.
Red has the coolest weapon. Chain rods that are simultaneously Dragoon Lances and Hookshots are where it is at. Black is definitely Jesus Christ. Which is the only reasonable explanation for why Satan is so afraid of her. Yes, folks, Jesus is actually a Japanese School Girl. I am now a best selling author.

Or he pilots a super awesome giant robot and nails Mary Magdalene if Mary Magdelene were a pop star and also political equal of Machiavelli. This is all very blasphemous, but at least I'll get a cool wish from a cute little bunny-cat, right? Can I use my wish to save my soul, or is that cheating?

Also I think the ultimate troll of this show would be if Madoka lasts the entire run without ever becoming a Magical Girl. Naming the show Magical Girl Madoka and then never actually having a Magical Girl named Madoka in the show is precisely the kind of thing I'd expect from Japan. Especially at this point in my history with anime.

Also the OP to this show continues to sound horrifyingly similar to something.

Let's review, shall we? Witches are a wellspring of hatred and curses and evil. They begin as Familiars split from other Witches and when they have generated enough evil and hatred, they become Witches of their own, and have their own Grief Seeds, which contain all that evil energy, and which siphon the corruption and evil energy from th Soul Gems of Magical Girls who fight them. So basically Grief Seeds are tiny stones filled with human misery, anguish, avarice, hatred, and corruption.

KYUBE FUCKING EATS THESE THINGS. FOR FOOD. HE LIVES OFF OF THE EVIL FEELS OF HUMANITY. Do you know what such a creature is called in the Slayers universe? A MONSTER. And not one with a lowercase m, either. OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT. KYUBE HAS RED EYES. RUBY EYES. KYUBE IS RUBY EYED SHABRANIGDO.

Now Satan is actually trying to convince a teenage girl that it is important that she kill or allow through inaction people be killed so that she can farm Grief Seeds and become strong enough to kill other Magical Girls. At the which point I must ask: is there even a pretense here? Is Kyube even bothering to hide the fact that he does not care that the Witches be defeated and humanity protected? His singular ambition seems to be forcing these girls to make these contracts, presumably for the sake of harvesting their souls. Er, soul gems, given how he REALLY wants Madoka's.

Speaking of, here he goes trying to convince this impressionable young girl to start using drugs too join this little game. It is obvious to me that Madoka Kaname is Kyube's end game. What he wants beyond her or why he wants her I'm not sure, but it is evident that this rat bastard cat rabbit (try saying that ten times fast) is trying to get this little girl's soul.

Oh! DDR! And Pocky! You know who else liked Pocky? Mr. Wong. And he tried to use young women and the Devil to conquer the universe. So Red is probably not going to turn out to be a nice girl.

"Sore wa . . . himitsu." "That's . . . a secret!" I wish Black were as entertaining as Xellos. If you can't tell why your friend Blue has become so angry here right now, Madoka, it's basically because she's hanging out with the devil. And the devil isn't exactly good for anyone's disposition.

Madoka's mom coming home from "work" at like, three AM. AFFAIIIIIIR. Madoka asks mom advice for how to deal with the devil and Madoka's mom literally tells her "doing the wrong thing is what makes you happy." LADY JUST TRYIN' TO JUSTIFY HER AFFAIR TO HER KID. After a lengthy talk on why cheating, er, lying, er, backstabbing, er, stealing, er, arson, er, whatever is totally justifiable because it isn't, Madoka's mother praises the wonders of alcohol. Madoka wants to get plastered with her mom, too. So they get drunk off their asses, forget this whole mess with Satan, and run away to Vegas to become showgirls.

THE END.

Blue is such good friends with angsty violin boy that she didn't know he was discharged from the hospital. Great friendship there. Ten bucks says Kyube did not just come to Madoka out of the goodness of his heart to warn her that Blue was in trouble. Oh no, she's going to see Blue get beat up so Kyube can offer her the contract FOR THE NINE MILLIONTH TIME. Persistent as fuck.

Although, come to think of it, like Black, Xellos had a tendency to pop up behind people. "Hey, why don't I take this stone that literally embodies your soul and THROW IT OFF OF A FREEWAY." Oh JEEBS, Madoka. I know your mom told you to take chances, make mistakes, and get messy, but I think even her adulterous, alcoholic, moe behind would've told you to think twice before CHUCKING YOUR FRIEND'S EVERLASTING SOUL OFF OF A FREEWAY.

"Oh, did I forget to mention that these soul gems are actually literally the containers of your souls and that should any harm befall or befoul them that harm happens to your souls and that by becoming a Magical Girl you literally agree to me having your soul removed from your body? Silly me." All Cast Goes: "OOOOH, KYUBEY."

If any damage to the body can be repaired via magic, then how exactly did Mami die? I mean, her head was bit off, but if the body means nothing, no big deal, right? "Magical girls are always like this! I mean, why do you always get so upset when you find out I rip your soul out of your body without actually having explained this to you before hand? Why do you always say you feel lied to and cheated and suckered in by my promises of granting wishes just because I didn't tell you the fine print and it wasn't anywhere for you to read? OH HEY MADOKA WANNA BE A MAGICAL GIRL?"

Also "Why do humans have such a problem with where their souls wind up? I don't get it." Is some ominous as fuck statement to make. If the Devil Gundam is a physical metaphor for how the devil corrupts everyone and everything, then Kyube is an example of how the devil deceives and manipulates people. This little cat-rabbit is on the fast track to becoming one of the most evil things in anime.

Episode the Sixth

Fucking before I start this episode can I just say I don't know that I've ever wanted to slap an anime character as hard as I have Madoka? I mean yeah I wanted to punch Shinn Asuka in the face repeatedly until his skull capsized and basically gutpunch Setsuna Fucktard Seiei until he bled and repeatedly knee Flit Asuno in the nads so that the length of his show would be 2/3s less suffering, but Madoka just REEEEEALLY needs to be slapped. Not even for anything related to the plot. Mostly just because she always has this dumbass vacant mopey expression and I can't stand it. I mean I understand that having Satan follow you around 24/7 and constantly be like "HEY SELL YOUR SOUL TO ME OR ELSE." Is a scary thing. BUT REALLY. HER FACE. I JUST.

Being meguca is suffering. What more can I say.

All of this is brilliant.

Kyubey is just so disturbing to the point that if he's in a picture, it kills it for me. I don't want him staring

lol that's why i put him in the dark/semi-transparent portion of the banner

he's always watching

also corvo's so totally asking the right questions. there's something he brought up that i'd like to answer, but i'll get to that at a later point.

Madoka's mom coming home from "work" at like, three AM. AFFAIIIIIIR. Madoka asks mom advice for how to deal with the devil and Madoka's mom literally tells her "doing the wrong thing is what makes you happy." LADY JUST TRYIN' TO JUSTIFY HER AFFAIR TO HER KID. After a lengthy talk on why cheating, er, lying, er, backstabbing, er, stealing, er, arson, er, whatever is totally justifiable because it isn't, Madoka's mother praises the wonders of alcohol. Madoka wants to get plastered with her mom, too. So they get drunk off their asses, forget this whole mess with Satan, and run away to Vegas to become showgirls.

Not that rare in reality actually. It's implied that
her mother is more than just the average salaryman/woman position, which means that she's staying at work till everybody leaves. That's how it works here and it's ridiculous.

If anything the show is doing a good job creating the image of
a modern, progressive working Japanese woman who also manages to have a loving husband and kids. That's what surprised me the most.

I want to fuck his face
With bullets

hehehehehe

oh and answers to something corvo said since he's actually at the point where i can explain it without problems
Mami's Soul Gem thing was on her head/hat/neck something around that area. So when it was broken, she died.

CorvoSol

Not that rare in reality actually. It's implied that
her mother is more than just the average salaryman/woman position, which means that she's staying at work till everybody leaves. That's how it works here and it's ridiculous.

If anything the show is doing a good job creating the image of
a modern, progressive working Japanese woman who also manages to have a loving husband and kids. That's what surprised me the most.

I know, I just think its more fun to laugh about Madoka's mom being a drunken adulterer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom