• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
So I'm watching Kino's Journey and it reminded me how much I love fighting tournaments. What are the best fighting tournament arcs in anime?

The Kino fighting tournament arc is one of my favorite parts. Kino is normally unintrusive but this fight forces kino to make some unusual decisions.
as for other fight tournaments Im not gonna be much help.

C3-bu 02

Holy crap. This show just got more :sdburton than Love Lab!

This is relevant to my interests!

Servant x Service 2

That series is better than Doki Doki Precure

F cups are apparently small, and we have a potential ship. All was going well, and then the sister shows up.... and she's a tsun-dried. Confirmed worse character of the cast. This is me halfway through, I don't want to see how much more is here of this sister. Bleh.

Oh I really like those designs! That would be a really fun show if it was real.
Show in general seems fun.

Black Lady was hotter.

Hmmm....yes.

CorvoSol

Just keep going. Keep your chin up proud and fine as you know that this is entirely your fault for doing this.

But I didn't make the show!

Hahahahahahaha

fwiw, despite the shortcomings, as long as I was able to pretend all the episodes minus that one weren't part of E7, I had a good time watching it, and the discussions I had were really enjoyable.

And now I can't stop watching it until I know what this means.

Quasar

Tamayura.

Damn. Its like overdosing on niceness.

And that town. I'd so love to live there. It feels oh so warm and snuggly.

That opening song too. oh so lovely.

sonicmj1

Man, it's so hard trying to save someone from themselves.

Servant x Service 2

It's okay, I guess. Maybe at some point it'll have the confidence to set up more elaborate and interesting gags. Right now, I feel like I can still see the first and last panels of all the individual 4komas this was assembled from.

iKM0UUwgIJPYQ.jpg
ietzml7Ed73OI.jpg

Possibly related to that, it has a bad habit of stating things we can clearly see for ourselves. Kind of like some political cartoons.

I could watch another episode, but it needs to pick up.

zeroshiki

I don't claim to be any good at translating at all but that grab from sonicmj1 illustrates why I think fansubbers suck (or if its CrunchyRoll, how they suck)

"Ieru wake ga nai" is translated literally as "there's no way she can say it". Why not use "she can't say it?" It makes the same amount of sense and sounds less stilted.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't claim to be any good at translating at all but that grab from sonicmj1 illustrates why I think fansubbers suck (or if its CrunchyRoll, how they suck)

"Ieru wake ga nai" is translated literally as "there's no way she can say it". Why not use "she can't say it?" It makes the same amount of sense and sounds less stilted.
There's no way they can translate it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

"She can't possibly say it"

Dresden

SxS ep1 felt like an uglier Working!! with bad designs and a distinct lack of Poplar. And the opening is uggo, so there's no hope!

I was pretty down on Workinganagria!!' by the end, but I kinda miss the show now.

cajunator

Banned
I like her singing. I always pick up her albums even when I don't care that much about the anime the songs are from.
And she's pretty much the only reason I blind-bought Mardock Scramble lol

Very impressive collection. Her acting work and music is classic. Growing up with anime years ago everybody knew who she was! she used to be in EVERYTHING.

• Tokyo Godfathers
Available on Netflix hooray
Tokyo_Godfathers_%28Movie_Poster%29.jpg

This is the first Satoshi Kon movie I've seen.

Really, an amazing piece of cinema. There aren't too many movies that truly can move me, but this was one of them, for sure. The writing was excellent, the animation was excellent, and the presentation as a whole was close to flawless.

Story
I absolutely loved the characters. Their growth from the start to finish was really an enjoyment to watch, and they really had personalities and stories that most of us can empathize with. I was a little amused when it was revealed
that all three of them really didn't get forced into the homeless situation -- misunderstanding placed them into where they were at the time.
I was really happy seeing all of their individual problems being (mostly) resolved, and they really came off as truly human characters. Not many animes, let alone any film can pull that off. The pacing was really well, and every moment was captivating and not a frame wasted.

Animation
The perfect blend of realism and creativity. At first I was thinking of what the point of making a movie like this anime was, but after seeing the expressions and animation of the characters I understood why. They had just enough realism to their look that it clearly was meant to be taken seriously -- but during scenes with heavy feelings their facial expressions and body language was exaggerated to the point that it emphasized the feeling of the moment. Masterfully done.

Audio
I have mixed feelings about this. The voice acting and sound design was spot on, but I felt the music was a little inappropriate at times. While I'm not asking for orchestration or anything of that sort, I felt like some of it was a little too ... jingle-y? I don't know the word, but sometimes the music was too upbeat for the drama that was going on. However I really enjoyed the abrupt transitions that went on from time to time. That always gets my mind to think "What's about to happen?!" as I hear it.

Besides the cinematography, I think I really enjoyed the message of this movie too. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a religious person, and so a lot of the goings-on resonated with me. While the coincidences that happened in the movie were over exaggerated and played up for the purposes of the story, it still was a really heartwarming story to hear and (if you're the believing type) you could really feel like God was looking out for those characters.

Speaking of religion, I've been a little confused as to the nature of the religiosity of the Japanese. I thought they were somewhere in the ballpark of 75% non-religious? I was just curious because in this (and other anime works) they mention things about "God looking after people" in such a natural way that you'd assume most people were religious. I'm assuming I should be thinking of God and/or Heaven in a Buddhist/Shinto sort of light coming from their background but it seems the Judeo-Christian God isn't all that much of a stretch either.

In any case, this was an excellent movie and will definitely be adding it to the Annual Christmas Movie List.
Tokyo Godfathers receives a score of
10 Sword Art Online's
or
1 Spirited Away's

Excellent review of a fantastic movie.
interestingly you chose the one that least exhibits Satoshi kon's favorite ideas.
watch Millennium Actress next which is the quintessential Kon film and my personal all time favorite.

sonicmj1

I also think "proteges" is weirdly formal for the other picture too, but whatever.

Crunchyroll subs, btw.

cajunator

Banned
Little Witch Academia 2 update from Otsuka, crossposting from the main KS thread:

They are ambitious but I wish them the best of luck!

Squid Girl 5

kr7NyhI.jpg

I can't. This finally did it. I'm dead. A lethal overdose of cute and sad.

;______________;

One would call this :cajundead

BUT THAT DOESN'T GEL WITH THE END OF E7 AT ALL.

Destiny did have a good soundtrack.

See, but I can't help but laugh at that anyway. Lacus balancing the sickly sweet with the venomous cunning is what allows me to accept her. As long as I see her as Haman Jr., I can't hate her.

Bunny Drop 8

Masako is definitely one of the most interesting characters in the show. Everything about her, what makes her tick, and how she acts is just so interesting. I like Daikichi's honesty with her, as well as his basic kindness, too. He's like "I don't like you at all and you can't meet this girl until SHE says she wants to meet you. But if you want to see her from a distance without her knowing, I will allow that."

Daikichi is such a stud.

I think you are using Bunny Drop a bit too quickly. You need to pace it to quench the burning rage.
also yes Elena is incredibly :cajun.

zeroshiki

To be fair, there are cases where you have no recourse in the English language, and you're left with few good options.

True. In this case, "underclassman" wouldn't work for "kouhai" and I am at a loss as to what would be appropriate. Then again, I don't get paid to do this so I can bitch with no repercussions.

I would probably punt it and translate that line as "Everyone is looking at me weird!" There doesn't seem to be any particularly strong reason as to why separating the people with the kouhai is necessary.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True. In this case, "underclassman" wouldn't work for "kouhai" and I am at a loss as to what would be appropriate. Then again, I don't get paid to do this so I can bitch with no repercussions.

I would probably punt it and translate that line as "Everyone is looking at me weird!" There doesn't seem to be any particularly strong reason as to why separating the people with the kouhai is necessary.
While maybe there's a certain emphasis intended in both groups doing something, usually such moves work out fine. At least until you run into meta-discussion, then you're fucked.

fertygo

SxS ep1 felt like an uglier Working!! with bad designs and a distinct lack of Poplar. And the opening is uggo, so there's no hope!

I was pretty down on Workinganagria!!' by the end, but I kinda miss the show now.

Yeah.. SxS just make me miss Working!!

Westlo

Fucking Z2 pick wrong theme for Destiny after so godlike in Z

Meanwhile your hated song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y042IbJvd0I

I told you, Maaya's pitch that ruin the song.

Yeah Maaya dropped the ball on that one, still don't think it's one of the better kanno frontier songs regardless, not even top 10 mayne.

diamond crevasse, Ranka what bout my star, god bless the queen, don't be late, yusei, too many classics.

Destiny did have a good soundtrack.

Most gundams have stellar soundtracks, cept AGE. Man sawano fell the fuck off with titan, On Your Mark from Unicorn alone shits on his Titan score. Well the only good titan track is counterattack and while it's great OYM > that.

Shit was wack, stopped halfway through and then I was onto the next one. Working s3 please.

CorvoSol

Episode the Seventh

Wow, "You didn't ask." has got to be the most cliche demon response of all time. I mean yeah, the girls are fools for making deals with Satan for incredibly cheap reasons, but that's not exactly detracting from his being the literal embodiment of evil and deceit.

HOLY SHIT. THE CREDITS HAVEN'T EVEN ROLLED. HOLY SHIT.

Kyube is TORTURING A TEENAGE GIRL. HOLY SHIT. I WAS JOKING MAN. Stop, stop! She's already dead! HAHAHAHAHAHA. So basically Kyube has just abused a teenage girl and told her she is his bitch and he is her pimp. He's all "I granted your wish and now you're gonna put out." I was not expecting this show to have a metaphor for forced child prostitution, but there it is.

Was that split second of Kyube just a fluke of my video player? Or was that intentional? Oh God no its Eversion the animated series! "Why would Kyube do something so cruel?" REALLY MADOKA? REALLY!? Maybe Kyube DID need to abuse Blue, since it is apparent that at the very least Madoka is so fucking stupid that she cannot tell that KYUBE IS PURE FUCKING EVIL even after discovering that he FORCIBLY REMOVES THE SOULS OF GIRLS, lures them in with promises of wishes, and ENCOURAGES THEM TO LET PEOPLE DIE SO THEY CAN GET BETTER AT KILLING PEOPLE.

You're being physically tortured by a demon who tore your soul out, and your major concern is for angsty violin boy? UUUUUUUGH. Maybe Red SHOULD have killed you.

Nevermind, Red wasted her wish, to. You could've at least wished "make people understand him" and not "try to understand." I mean jeez, what kind of half assed wish did you sell your soul for, kiddo? Dramatic consumption of an apple ensues.

UNNECESSARY LOVE TRIANGLE APPROACHES. WHAT DO YOU DO?
>Wangst
>Take a Third Option
>The Archie Classic
>BAD END

Is there no way to tell Kyube to just fuck off? I mean, yes, I have to collect Grief Seeds for a reason or something. Why do you need to be around when I'm not on the clock, you freaky cat rabbit demon?

Wow. You REALLY did not think this whole selling your soul to the devil to help out a guy in a temporary way at all, did you Blue? Don't worry, it isn't like Madoka is learning from your bad decision, here.

Damn, this fight scene is so good. Kinda expected Blue to lose her mind here, though.

Dresden

c3bu - 02

The school in general is ugly, but those purple walls are the worst. The show as a whole takes a step back whenever they're inside these eyesore walls.

Once again the pace picks up when they start shooting at each other, but the conflict this time is a bit too long, not to mention being poorly animated . And basically every girl not named Karira is a chump--a bolt action in tight confines? That's like those assholes who keep trying to pull off jumping scout headshots in cs_office.

And of course, why would you even want a bolt-action sniper when you're shooting gas-powered bb's? Japan, man.

CorvoSol

Don't do this to yourself. Even I dropped out because I didn't wanna ruin my memories of the original E7.

You can still turn back. =(

No.

I have to know.

I looked into the gaping eye of 00, AGE, SAO, and did not blink. I can make it through this.

I can't make it through this.

Dynedom

Don't do this to yourself. Even I dropped out because I didn't wanna ruin my memories of the original E7.

You can still turn back. =(

I love E7 and not even AO could retroactively make me hate the series. It almost did though. In fact, for a while, I was convinced that my memories of the original were ruined. Must have just been the heat of the moment.

I'm now convinced E7:AO never existed and it was some horrible figment of my imagination.

cnet128

Banned
Making comparisons to Hikari is always a bad thing

Poor Hikari, everybody hates you so much.

ybOcpvt.jpg

you have no idea how difficult it was to find a picture of Hikari expressing something resembling emotion

[Futari wa Precure] 24
UzQlgVil.jpg

+
LfF61Z2l.jpg

icwatudidthar

Faye Valentine? Lina Inverse? Rei Ayanami? Girl-side Ranma? Paprika? She's one of the most prolific voice actresses in anime.

Yeah, all of those are from anime I've never actually seen, except Eva (and even that I only finished relatively recently and still haven't watched EoE). In Ranma's case I read some of the manga back in my youth (in fact, that was one of the things that first got me into manga/anime) but I never watched the show. Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows I vaguely feel like I should have watched but nevertheless haven't. Slayers and Paprika are entirely alien to me.

Basically, Hayashibara Megumi is just too old-school for me.

• Nichijou 02
And we continue with the best show ever made.

YES!

I totally watched the music video for the OP. Hyadain is quite the character.
and female singer.

YES!

Hahaha I can only imagine what the manga was like. This is so perfect in anime form. Also totally animated flawlessly!

YES!

I think I totally recognize the folktale this is making fun of. Something about a goddess asking if a bronze axe belongs to someone and they refuse and then they're asked if its a golden axe and they refuse again -- something along those lines. I totally have it wrong.

Yeah, the Golden Axe story is referenced in so many things you don't even need to know the original at this point. It's like an internet meme, minus the internet.

Nano and the Professor are most definitely my favorite characters in this show so far.

BROFIST.

Some people don't like Hakase. I don't understand these people.

lol what the heck Nichijou Part 7??

I presume this is referring to how the show numbers its "skits" consecutively throughout the series.

Oh my gosh all of this overreaction to everything is just so priceless. Man, this is one of those shows I wish I was an anime watcher to have experienced first time around.

Seriously though, how was this even done in the original manga version? This is so incredible and unique as an anime.

I quite enjoy the manga, but KyoAni's expressiveness adds so much that the anime is definitely leaps and bounds ahead.

This show...I'm kind of tempted to go see it, now. :eek:

DO IIIIIIIT.

Pegasus cares about beautiful dreams

A1mq6fH.jpg

I can think of several.
megumi hayashibara, chiwa saito, aya hirano, miyukichi, halko momoi, rie kugimiya, chiaki omigawa, kanahana, kana asumi, eri kitamura, norio Wakamoto, jun fukuyama

Hmm, what seiyuu can I name off the top of my head?

Sugita Tomokazu, Norio Wakamoto, Nakamura Yuuichi, Hanazawa Kana, Sawashiro Miyuki, Saitou Chiwa, Kugimiya Rie, Omigawa Chiaki, Hirano Aya...

...Kondou Kanako, Imai Asami, Yukinari Toa, Isomura Tomomi, Kakihara Tetsuya </everything-i-know-about-seiyuu-i-learned-from-buluraji>

I'm probably missing a ton that I actually know pretty well here, but I did say "off the top of my head".

What in actual fuck is Kirino doing on that list

This is all that is wrong with Japan

Just give in and accept that Kirino is best girl.

The real tragedy in this is that she's under Kuroneko.

Never thought I'd see myself type that out.

Kirino > Kuroneko, but I wouldn't call that positioning a tragedy. Kuroneko is great too.

C3-Bu - 02

And let's be real here, the only reason Yura joined the club was so that she could get closer with Sonora and have that
butter melting voice whisper sweet nothings into her ear when they're in bed together after an intense day of skirmishing

Hnnnnnnngh yes. I like the way you think.

I'm too far in to turn back now, though. I need to see Renton again, at the very least.

Pain and regret. Regret and pain.

FPS will finally become big in Japan when the game version of c3bu comes out.

That or GunGale Online.

Dynedom

Majestic Prince - 14

Holy CRAP. It's like the entire budget of the show went into the last 10 minutes or something. That's one of the
best CG mecha battles I've ever seen.
Even if overall this show ends up being mediocre,
it was worth it for that one-on-one battle
. DAMN.

As for the rest of the episode, I really hope this is the start of
progressing Izuru to someone who can stand up to Jiart on a regular basis. The transformed Red-1 seems like the start.
. Seems like Ange and Teoria have roles to play in this series after all.

edit: Watching it again because damn.

CorvoSol

Gurren Hen pt. 2

I was literally in denial for like, five episodes after the first time I saw
Kamina die.
It's just that big of a wham to the gut. What I'd forgotten was the absolutely brutal beatdown Simon lays on some Gunmen before he goes over that cliffside and meets
Nia.

Also, my opinion of Rossiu was never that negative, and seeing him fill in in a trying time has reminded me that while Rossiu is never as Hot Blooded as like, ANYONE in the cast, the kid really does just want to learn and do the right thing for everyone.

YES!

YES!

YES!

Yeah, the Golden Axe story is referenced in so many things you don't even need to know the original at this point. It's like an internet meme, minus the internet.

BROFIST.

Some people don't like Hakase. I don't understand these people.

I presume this is referring to how the show numbers its "skits" consecutively throughout the series.

I quite enjoy the manga, but KyoAni's expressiveness adds so much that the anime is definitely leaps and bounds ahead.

Just give in and accept that Kirino is best girl.

Oh hey people read my impressions yaya

Thanks for the link to the Aesop fable. I knew I totally recognized it, although I kept thinking it was a Japanese folktale.

Man, fuck Kirino. Manami or Saori are the one true pairings.

And now I get to return the sentiment:

Welcome, my brother.

The Brotherhood of Kawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom