• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon for life. Because that nonsense with Nia at the wedding continues to be bullshit.

Poor Yoko

Yes total bullshit.

My favorite character got shafted for the second half for dramatic purposes. :mad:
images

Metrotab

Banned
Looks like I will be finishing LoGH this weekend.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 106: Steineichepalme Schloß Burned Down

~ Pox, pox, bijibus. ~

Wow, what an episode! Tons of stuff happened.
Kesler got his moment to shine. Managed to save the Kaiserin and the Kaiser's sister, remove the Terraist organisational presence on Phezzan and get a girl interested in him, all in one episode. Von Feuerbach is a bit weird though.
I wonder where the Grand Bishop is. Seems like the head of the Terraists managed to escape again.
Ofcourse, the historical birth of the second Lohengramm dynasty Kaiser, Alexander Siegfried. Awesome how Reinhard gave his son the name of his best friend, although I wonder what the Alexander signifies to him. Is he referring to the Macedonian warlord?
And von Eisenach speaking was significant too. Amazing how the narrator even mentioned the date, like it was an important battle or something.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No, this is problem with intro episodes, they have a lot of exposition to get through, which is why I can give this thing a pass.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Gatchaman Crowds #1

That was really good. It has all the traditional nakamura'isms within the trappings of a superhero/magical girl type series. Will watch more.

With the amount of exposition crammed in the middle, how could you not understand what was going on?...
What is actually presented and explained about the world and plot is relatively out-there though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh man oh man this has apparently been a big anime day. Love Lab, Gatchaman, and Ufotable F/SN??!!!?!>!? (wut?) Good watching tonight.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Alright guys I finally have an entire weekend off to do nothing but drink, play games and watch anime. Maybe I'll head to the cinema to watch Pacific Rim maybe not.

Either way what shows are worth watching from this season. Only looking for good stuff not the god awful shit that people watch because its ironically enjoyable (when its really not). So far I got Free, Mosaic someshitoranother and Ro Kyu Bu S2 queued up but I'm looking for more.

Thanks!

cnet128

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds 1

Ohmygod this was so much fun. Hajime best character in the history of forever. Her genki puts all other genki characters to shame. Transcendental genki. And the notebook fetish is adorable too. Pity about the :chet, but at least we have gorgeous loli Utsutsu to balance that out. APPROVED.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds 1

Ohmygod this was so much fun. Hajime best character in the history of forever. Her genki puts all other genki characters to shame. Transcendental genki. And the notebook fetish is adorable too. Pity about the :chet, but at least we have gorgeous loli Utsutsu to balance that out. APPROVED.

You forgot the yuri goggles.

Jarmel

Banned
That could work too, just saying that I don't think it would be this fall and probably won't be waiting until late next year either.

Well a PV is supposed to be airing tomorrow so hopefully that'll have more details. It's just that if it's a decent length PV and not a teaser then it seems some work has been done into it already. Ufotable has probably been prepping for this for awhile so I could actually see them being ready to go for Fall. I don't know, but my guess though is that ufotable is not large enough to do the KnK movie that comes out in September and do FS/N at the same time. They might be but I don't know. I do doubt it's coming out Fall of next year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Either way what shows are worth watching from this season. Only looking for good stuff not the god awful shit that people watch because its ironically enjoyable (when its really not). So far I got Free, Mosaic someshitoranother and Ro Kyu Bu S2 queued up but I'm looking for more.

Thanks!
Good choice!

I'll say Tamayura MORE AGGRESSIVE even though I know you won't watch it. lol

With the amount of exposition crammed in the middle, how could you not understand what was going on?...
I understood what I watched but it felt so stupid at times that I too was wondering if I was missing something.
Easy to zone out on that. (I had to rewind!)

Pretty much. Aliens eating humans, Gatchaman something something, NOTE AMNESIA REMIND EFFECT, and MARU~~~~.

Sort of like the Rozen Maiden pilot, actually.

Theonik

The IS fights would be more fun to watch if
they weren't getting halted and then postponed with deus ex machinas all the time.

Well she's not the worst but you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel there, son.
Don't tell me you didn't like the random twist interruptions.
IS was pretty shit. I'm not even sure that Char was worth it still watching S2 despite that. I'm crazy.

wsippel

Banned
Depends what it is. I get that sometimes characters are meant to be seductive thats fine. Is there a reason? Is it a spoiler?
No idea. This isn't a beach episode or something though, she's apparently always wearing a bikini - there probably is a reason for that. Even if that reason might end up being something stupid.

And I'm not even sure she's really sexualized: She didn't do anything lewd, there were no suggestive poses or questionable camera angles. She's just wearing a bikini for some strange reason, and comes across more as mysterious and kinda cute than sexy.

cnet128

Banned
Alright guys I finally have an entire weekend off to do nothing but drink, play games and watch anime. Maybe I'll head to the cinema to watch Pacific Rim maybe not.

Thanks!

Watch Gatchaman. Watch Love Lab. Watch Watamote. Watch Uchouten Kazoku. Watch Servant x Service. Watch Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou.

And of course watch Monogatari, starting from the old series if you haven't watched them already.

Dresden

gatchaman crowds - 01

The episode reminded me at times of C, and not in a good way. (Is there a good way?) It's Kenji Nakamura so I'll be along for the ride, but the frequently poor art was pretty noticeable. It's not like Tsuritama where its color design and the backgrounds were an immediately pleasing and cohesive sight. Even their base ("CAGE") feels like a throwback to Trapeze with the intent robbed out of it, and only the vulgar, shocking palette remaining. The episode as a whole lacked good flow, stuffed with exposition as it was, and it's only at the end with Hajime's transformation that it gets into any kind of a groove.

I feel like I have a good handle on just what Nakamura is going for with Hajime--from the ducklip-backpack to the excessive friendliness, she's superficial, yet that superficiality isn't something to be attacked, and in a way, she's the extrapolation of what all the rest of the Gatchaman stand for but won't admit. The Notes of the Gatchaman are a deliberately anachronistic throwback to the days of people actually writing things with pen and paper, and Hajime covets that anachronism without actually engaging in the consequences of doing so. She'll buy planners and huggle them and rub her cute cheeks against them, but they serve no function other than as trophies, and I get the sense that the rest of the Gatchaman are like that too--the costumes serve as masks, and even for someone as self-serious as Sugane, it's an escape from his normal life. This is the most noticeable with O.D. and the panda--one lacks the ability to transform and thus must remain as extroverted the mask he lacks, and the other has substituted his identity into the giant mecha-robot-suit and the outsized responsibilities of 'saving planets.'

And you know, that scene where Hajime gets inducted into the group is totally a visual analogue for molestation.

Jarmel

Banned
Hopefully someone captures the F/SN PV on some shitty phonecam so we can know some info and see some work. It might just be basic info ala the Kill La Kill PVs though. Still I want to know if Urobuchi is getting involved. Him doing a rewrite based on F/SN would be a much better route to go than actually adapting Heaven's Feel.

If it unfortunately is a straight adaptation then I could see most of the preproduction work already being done a while ago as ufotable knew they were getting this contract the moment the Fate Zero blu-ray sales came in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Danganranpa 2
ETHTtIHl.jpg

lol

This is so dumb that it might be the VVV of the season. The fact that all the blood is
purple
is just perfect. lol

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode - 1: PROLOGUE: Welcome to Despair High School
tumblr_mpuj0mziuK1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mpuj0mziuK1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Kind of a boring first episode, that really had nothing going for it beyond just seeing Makoto and all his really good looking expressions, and Ishimaru having all the traits I like in a character aligned with good.

OP and ED were both lazy visually and even soundwise (though at least the ED has vocals). And the events in the episode felt way too abrupt
Their watching the dvd, then the chair, then instantly characters reacting so intensely, even Makoto, I think it should have lasted a bit longer with some lead into it as it was hard to feel anyway emotionally moved about it, and Maizono's felt way too overdone and the bears laughing was atrocious :( couldnt the va laugh more naturally?
Dont really know what to expect from here.

Jarmel

Banned
Just assume the worst, it'll be the Fate route, dere-dere Seiba and all.

Sigh. That's the problem with any adaptation is that in each 'arc'/route, certain characters get the shaft.

Fleshing out Saber would be a nice tie-in for Fate Zero but so would most of Heaven's Feel. A proper UBW would just be epic in general though. I want a good version of UBW badly.

cnet128

Banned
Danganranpa 2
ETHTtIHl.jpg

lol

This is so dumb that it might be the VVV of the season. The fact that all the blood is
purple
is just perfect. lol

PINK, the blood is PINK!

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode - 1: PROLOGUE: Welcome to Despair High School

the bears laughing was atrocious :( couldnt the va laugh more naturally?

Implying that Monokuma's VA is anything other than perfect is tantamount to treason and you shall be summarily hanged.

(Most of your other complaints are valid, though, the pacing in this adaptation is atrocious.)

Syrinx

Hyouka 17

I guess I have two main gripes with the conclusion to this arc. One: how did Jumooji pull off all of those other thefts other than the one at the Classics Club? Two: ...is "A Corpse By Evening" really that good? I don't know, it's just hard to buy that a few high schoolers with some spare time could craft something that everybody who's read it considers it a masterpiece. But maybe that's just cause I'm unremarkable.

I do get the connection the show was trying to make between Kuguyama and Oreki; that they both have immense talent and skill but end up not putting it to use. I guess my problem is that if Kuguyama just doesn't want to draw more manga...I'm not sure if it's anybody's right to try and get him to change that, especially through such means as this. This isn't Oreki, who just doesn't want to expend energy; this guy is the student council president. He's busy. He's got shit to do. If he doesn't want to spend his (likely sparse) free time drawing manga, that's his decision.

Anyway, I wonder how Oreki is going to explain this to Chitanda. I can't imagine he'll tell her the full story.

Pooya

Well a PV is supposed to be airing tomorrow so hopefully that'll have more details. It's just that if it's a decent length PV and not a teaser then it seems some work has been done into it already. Ufotable has probably been prepping for this for awhile so I could actually see them being ready to go for Fall. I don't know, but my guess though is that ufotable is not large enough to do the KnK movie that comes out in September and do FS/N at the same time. They might be but I don't know. I do doubt it's coming out Fall of next year.

They have another magical movie too, don't think that one has a date yet, haven't seen anything from that for a while.

If it unfortunately is a straight adaptation then I could see most of the preproduction work already being done a while ago as ufotable knew they were getting this contract the moment the Fate Zero blu-ray sales came in.

Fate is very very popular over there, unfortunately. Chances of rewrite or altering it in any way is very low imo. It's going to be a straight adaptation, they're not going to risk changing story or anything. Though I think good directors and scenario writers can help make thing better somewhat. Shirou doesn't have to say all the stupid sappy shit he does in the anime for example, tone it down maybe.

If it's Fate route again then shit, time to jump out, there is no saving this. If it's UBW, I don't really like this one either it's better but I don't find it very satisfying for some notable characters and its still utterly ridiculous with that plot, I just don't like it because I hate Shirou. HF is weird, this has probably same problems as UBW as some people won't find it satisfying, I think this one fits Fate/Zero the best for obvious reasons and can be salvaged to something decent, great potential for some good fights too :p

Best case is someone mixing three routes into one story and having enough creative freedom while doing so, of course it's not going to happen.

cnet128

Banned
Since the sale started now, I just downloaded me dat Fate/stay night onto mah Vita.

All this talk of how terrible all the arcs are is just making me want to start playing it right now, lol. I think I will resist though, since I still have anime episodes to watch and I feel like I should carry on with the Monogatari novels first (about halfway through the Mayoi story right now <3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom