• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have anything to say about Gatchaman other than Hajime is super cute and has a wonderful chest. Will more than likely be Uchida Maaya's best role.

ikknjD8tJqckH.jpg

survivor

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds 1
Hajime is probably the best character of this season so far. She is quirky, funny, and energetic. I do love how she doesn't seem to care about her surroundings.

The transformation scenes were wonderful, especially the music, really gets you in the mood. The CG fights were pretty good, they didn't feel out of place and fit well within the rest of the animations. Definitely met my hype.

Since you people always seem eager to look ahead to the future:

I didn't know VVV was coming back so soon. Aww yiss.

Also I just can't get excited about the Fate franchise. As much as I'd like to because the premise isn't totally lame I just end up feeling kinda bored after I watch an episode of both Fate/Zero or /Stay night.

Fuck Shirou

Theonik

Well the exterior design certainly looks slicker but I'll miss those inlays.

Pretty sure Yuno was on sale on AmiAmi earlier in the week. But I suppose you're not a big fan of them at the moment. Why didn't you order her before release?
Oh she seems to still be, will try and order later.
As to why I didn't do it pre-release its a combination of being cheap and forgetting. With Hakase it was me being an idiot and not buying her along with Akarin.
Edit: Too much anime has blinded me it seems sold out. Using a phone doesn't help either.

Dynedom

Will check out:

-Gallilei Donna
-KILL La KILL
-Valvrave S2
-Yozakura Quartet
-Coppelion
-Golden Time
-Pupa
-Akito 02
-Kara no Kyoukai (but I'm weary of this one)

Of course, some of these are based on manga and if anyone has read bits of them and can shortlist some of these, then feel free to do so

Gatchaman

Was pretty cheap looking and the main girl is like the most annoying character of the year (though not that I watched that many shows this year).

What a letdown.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 28

Mysterious new teacher didn't make an appearance here. Meilin really is becoming a little shit. How the hell did she rationalize "Shot" as "making a shot for Shaoran's heart?" But it was funny when she called Shaoran her fiance in front of Yukito and made him all embarrassed. That's when she's at her best; when she's making life harder for him.

Who made those cards? They really did look like Clow Cards. They may want to look into that. But they probably won't. And how did the owner of Twin Bells even get her hands on that thing anyway?

CorvoSol

That fight scene was perfect for the atmosphere of the show.
You can't see any of the features on the girls, almost as if they're being drained of who they are by this whole thing. Sayaka's madness and Madoka begging her to stop took my breath away when I first saw it.

I actually sort of knew that Kamina was going to die sometime in the series, as I noticed a quick rip Kamina in Youtube comments of the show's opening ugh. But I was expecting him to make some heroic sacrifice in like, the final five episodes or something. Killing him off in episode 8 made the whole thing much more shocking.

It was a really awesome fight scene.

And GURREN LAGANN SPOILERS
I didn't know at all, but rewatching the series via Gurren Hen, its actually sort of obvious that Kamina has to die. He's very supportive of Simon and all, but Simon runs almost entirely off of that support. He needs to step out of the nest, so to speak.

Majestic Prince - 14
SEED mode activated.

Fuck yeah motherfucker, the action scene make not dropping this mediocre show worth it.

FINE I'LL PICK IT UP AGAIN. This had better be worth it.

For the sake of not spoiling a damned thing Ill just say hang on this rollercoaster has just begun.

I know Corvy kun. Its addictive soulfood anime. It feels so pure and right watching it because there isnt much anime that is unblemished to that degree.
I would suggest continuing with Aishiteruze baby which was very similar albeit a significant step down in production quality. It will fill your heart with the same happy contentedness.

Such a good show. Washes away my anger every time.

That sounds really cool.

And that's why i love how Athrun
beat the shit out of Shinn
at the ending of destiny, I play that part like 10 times every time I re-watch SEED.

This is why SEED and Destiny would be best if Athrun were the main character. Not Shinn. Not Kira. Athrun.

Well yeah, but we told you it was horrible as all get up, so you watching this despite the pleas of many, and by that, I mean like 7 people, is still your fault

But what if it gets better?

Sins of omission, do, though. This is why robots cannot allow someone to die through inaction.

But what if it gets better?

This isn't a proper what if scenario.

Gatchaman Crowds 1

Hajime has a massive planner fetish that it's no wonder she became a Gatchaman. She also gives zero fucks about everything.

Although JJ sure is a pervert. Grabbing her underneath his clothes and then touches her chest and travels the valleys just to rip out her fetish power.

Narag

It was a really awesome fight scene.

And GURREN LAGANN SPOILERS
I didn't know at all, but rewatching the series via Gurren Hen, its actually sort of obvious that Kamina has to die. He's very supportive of Simon and all, but Simon runs almost entirely off of that support. He needs to step out of the nest, so to speak.
Dying was the best thing he did. He became this indelible source of inspiration by dying when he did rather than succumbing to the weight of the world as the other characters did if he had lived. His best moment was the team escaping that alternate reality due to the impression he left on the all.

Syrinx

Okay, I'm going in for the final two episodes of Glass Fleet. If I don't make it, I just want you to know, well, I love you guys.

Soma

Gatchaman Crowds

Yeah that was pretty fun. That transformation near the end of the episode was pretty much the best thing. The music totally made that scene too.

Excited to see more from the rest of the Gatchaman team as they all seem really quirky and interesting in their own ways. I hope O.D. gets to transform soon too.

Gatchaman Crowds

Yeah that was pretty fun. That transformation near the end of the episode was pretty much the best thing. The music totally made that scene too.

I was rewatching now the last action scene. The music is finely crafted to what's happening, all the beats, the little pauses, the changes of mood in the music, it's all synced to the action.

CorvoSol

Dying was the best thing he did. He became this indelible source of inspiration by dying when he did rather than succumbing to the weight of the world as the other characters did if he had lived. His best moment was the team escaping that alternate reality due to the impression he left on the all.

I always view that episode as him literally coming back from the dead, to an extent, to bail them out. Kinda like how Lord Genome regains his body and stuff.

MORE GURREN LAGANN TALK

Let's be honest here, who is the best choice for Yoko? Simon or Viral?
Because Kamina and Kitan are disqual'd.

Okay, I'm going in for the final two episodes of Glass Fleet. If I don't make it, I just want you to know, well, I love you guys.

I'll probably go back to watching this after I finish Madoka. Wonzo seemed disappointed in me for droppin' it.

I think I read somewhere that
Kamina has like nearly no Spiral Energy himself. That would have sucked, fighting the Anti-Spirals... with no Spiral Energy! Although I also read that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is supposed to be like the reincarnation of Kamina anyway.

CorvoSol

I think I read somewhere that
Kamina has like nearly no Spiral Energy himself. That would have sucked, fighting the Anti-Spirals... with no Spiral Energy! Although I also read that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is supposed to be like the reincarnation of Kamina anyway.

GURREN LAGANN TALK

Being physically incapable of generating Spiral Energy wasn't enough to hold back Viral. I'm sure Kamina would've been okay if it had come to that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

DiGiKerot

(Why did they stop with the character specific inlays for the nendo boxes?)

They didn't really stop - it's more they never really started doing it in earnest. I was actually shocked when I got the Akari nendo and noticed the backing card wasn't just the diagonal "Nendoroid" text that the other seven or eight I've got had.

Speaking of nendoroids, I got a notice today suggesting that the Royal Mail are holding my Hidamari Miyako hostage at the moment. Suppose I'd better collect it in the morning...

Gatchaman Crowds

A very odd group for a "sentai" style hero team but I think it'll work out in the long run. Love the art style and the music really helps set the mood. I didn't find the main chick to be that annoying though I can see how she could be to some. Honestly I think she brings a much needed sense of fun to a rather up tight group of heroes.

Narag

I always view that episode as him literally coming back from the dead, to an extent, to bail them out. Kinda like how Lord Genome regains his body and stuff.

MORE GURREN LAGANN TALK

Let's be honest here, who is the best choice for Yoko? Simon or Viral?
Because Kamina and Kitan are disqual'd.
[

Kittan for sure. Nunnery for yoko after.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They didn't really stop - it's more they never really started doing it in earnest. I was actually shocked when I got the Akari nendo and noticed the backing card wasn't just the diagonal "Nendoroid" text that the other seven or eight I've got had.

Speaking of nendoroids, I got a notice today suggesting that the Royal Mail are holding my Hidamari Miyako hostage at the moment. Suppose I'd better collect it in the morning...
Oh my \Akari~n/ nendo had that but I assumed it was because it was just a packin with the CD. Just checked the packaging for the Marika nendo and she did have just the diagonal nendo print as well, but she was my first so I guess I didn't really think about it back then. Guess getting the Akari and Godoka nendos at a later date made me think differently.

Royal Mail charged me £20 for the privilege of collecting my own post.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 25
Rachel...I'm just laughing at this point. Whatever crazy shit happens, it absolutely HAS to involve her. "Oooh how pretty! Look at it fly. I want to fly!" Hahaha.

This drama between Aimer and Nowi is unbearable. This kid is not cut out for a serious moment. Whoever's voicing him sounds like he's going through some sort of super-puberty. Fuck yeah at Hizac and Sylua though. I demand a spinoff!

What the hell was with the animation during Michel's speech? It looked kinda like the camera was panning through the crowd, but Michel's position didn't change at all. Was she standing on a moving platform or something?

Ah, the "glass fleet". So they found the super secret royal blueprints for the glass battleship? That's a shame.

So now two people in the emperor's chair have been overthrown in the last five minutes. You really don't get to play the "I'm the Pope!" card after you've essentially just admitted you deceived all of your followers and admitted your religion was a hoax. OH FUCK NOW RACHEL KILLED HIM! NOW THAT CRAZY BITCH IS GOING TO TAKE OVER! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIT!! I am seriously morbidly amped to see just what this woman is going to do.

Okay, so Vetti and Cleo aren't really twins. Just metaphorical twins created by that box. Stupid but okay. But then there was that talk about Magnus...oh I don't care!

Oh now that angry mob is attacking Vetti. He better make it out of this alive; it would suck for him to end this way.

One more to go.

Stulaw

Nobody.
Yoko's got the kiss of death remember?
Well, Viral's immortal isn't he (although saying that, he can't have children and it'll technically be beastiality)

Gatchaman
Fun, seemed to flow well, I like Hajime except for her lip shape, although I guess they're like those simple bird drawings people do. The art reminds me of Casshern Sins.

Blusby

Gatchaman Crowds Ep. 1
This show is where it's at, wonderful art and music though there is some noticeable QUALITY. Also Uchida has done an amazing job voicing Hajime.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Want to see
KILL la KILL

Will Probably watch
Infinite Stratos 2
Samurai Flameco
Pupa
Golden Time

Maybe/Not sure yet
Coppelion
Sakasama no Patema
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Walkure Romanze
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio

Looks dumb as hell/No way/0% interest
Ore no Nounai wordswordswordstinyhatswordswordswords
Meganebu

Mr.Jeff

All this is too fickle to rely on as every project seems to be a world in itself, but you can try to make some approximations thanks to it!
As always, an interesting answer. If I'm honest, the entire basis of my question was after looking at the rather sad Yuyushiki sales. I guess it's slice of life so they can essentially stop anywhere but I could still watch it forever.

Nerawareta Gakuen
In the end, I did have some fun with this, the characters were enjoyable and it did have some very nice scenes and yet I can't help but walk away from this film somewhat disappointed at what could have been.

But hey, at least the best girl won.

You're not being particularly dense; nearly everyone who has watched it has commented that the last 30 minutes basically devolve into a bit of an incoherent mess....unless you're quite familiar with the original text and even then there seems to be some confusion. Here's BluWAcky's post which DiGiKerot kindly linked me to back when I first joined.

I made a comment not too long ago about how it was nice to see that
childhood friend
cuts the standard bullshit and confesses which is a bit of a rarity but that is probably down to a pacing issue of the film.

I'll agree that Yui Makino and Rima Nishizaki need to step it up with their roles. Nishizaki at least has the excuse that she's a newbie, but Makino really should be better than this.
To be fair to her, her acting roles are fairly widely dispersed between seasons compared to standard VA's though. That said I am disgustingly fond her music so that may play some part to my bias when I haven't even heard her speak in the new show.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Want to see
KILL la KILL

Will Probably watch
Infinite Stratos 2
Samurai Flameco
Pupa

Maybe/Not sure yet
Coppelion
Sakasama no Patema
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Walkure Romanze
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio

Looks dumb as hell/No way/0% interest
Ore no Nounai wordswordswordswordswordswords
Meganebu

WHY IS YOUR LIST MISSING GOLDEN TIME? It's from Toradora's author! :eek:

Lurky

I've finally caught up with all of the shows I wanted to watch this season! I can't remember the last time I decided to keep up with so many of them.

Looked over the fall list a second time and here's my list

Watching

Magi Season 2
Valvrave Season 2
Gundam Build Fighter
Kill la Kill
BlazBlue

Maybe

Yozakura Quartet
Coppelion
Log Horizon
Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai