• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrotab

Banned
Majestic Prince - 12

Since we're halfway the season and we have acclimatized to the interactions and relations between the main character cast, what is the best action to take? Surely, adding a sixth guy we know absolutely nothing about and having him magically be much better at the task the other five have been painstakingly improving at, that'll do the trick!

Sigh.

fertygo

If it's Fate route again then shit, time to jump out, there is no saving this. If it's UBW, I don't really like this one either but it's better but I don't find it very satisfying for some notable characters and its still utterly ridiculous with that plot, I just don't like it because I hate Shirou. HF is weird, this has probably same problems as UBW as some people won't find it satisfying, I think this one fits Fate/Zero the best for obvious reasons and can be salvaged to something decent, great potential for some good fights too :p

Best case is someone mixing three routes into one story and having enough creative freedom while doing so, of course it's not going to happen.
Shirou outside of Fate's chivalry bullshit are cool.
Since the sale started now, I just downloaded me dat Fate/stay night onto mah Vita.

All this talk of how terrible all the arcs are is just making me want to start playing it right now, lol. I think I will resist though, since I still have anime episodes to watch and I feel like I should carry on with the Monogatari novels first <3 (about halfway through the Mayoi story right now.)
Nah, UBW and HF are entertaining read. Even Fate have some nicetime-travel talk.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate is very very popular over there, unfortunately. Chances of rewrite or altering it in any way is very low imo. It's going to be a straight adaptation, they're not going to risk changing story or anything. Though I think good directors and scenario writers can help makes thing better somewhat. Shirou doesn't have to say all the stupid sappy shit he does in the anime for example, tone it down maybe.

If it's Fate route again then shit, time to jump out, there is no saving this. If it's UBW, I don't really like this one either but it's better but I don't find it very satisfying for some notable characters and its still utterly ridiculous with that plot, I just don't like it because I hate Shirou. HF is weird, this has probably same problems as UBW as some people won't find it satisfying, I think this one fits Fate/Zero the best for obvious reasons and can be salvaged to something decent, great potential for some good fights too :p

Best case is someone mixing three routes into one story and having enough creative freedom while doing so, of course it's not going to happen.

Saber is the most popular character of all three heroines(too bad there never was the Ilya route). So if they wanted sales then I could see them being attracted to Fate route. The big key is going to be the scriptwriter in that they could still heavily reword the dialogue so that the story is much better even if it's a straight adaptation. I do think good directing would make a big difference too.

HF is probably the best despite me liking Sakura the least of the heroines even less so than Saber. It does tie up a lot of loose ends from Fate Zero and the tone is probably the most mature in that route. What they might do is something similar to what Deen did which is base the route on HF but take elements from the rest of the routes. That would probably be the best if they wanted the work to stand on its own. Again the key people are going to be the director and scriptwriter. That way they could still make the show surprising but also hit some of the emotional highs in the other arcs. The show is going to make or break on the script. Also needs Aoki back in the directing chair, his ass isn't doing anything right now anyway.

Nasu isn't Urobuchi and the director hopefully recognizes that.

Mr.Jeff

And judging from yours being the only reply I got I figure not a whole lot of people here have watched this film? I actually find that a little odd as at first glance it seems like the kinda stuff many here go for.
I think maybe a total of half a dozen people have seen it from this thread (at least from what's been posted anyway). It's only been "released" recently after having a few showings around the globe in the year previous.

The most amount of chat it had was from impressions where DiGiKerot and BluWacky both provide a bit more of the context about some of what's happened.

Even with some of the background details explained though, I still don't think I completely understand some of the details about what happens. That said I would personally judge myself as particularly dense at the more subtle nuances in films and such.

Every other Saber that isn't Saber is the superior Saber. Especially Mordred.

fate_monty_python_by_twardz-d6026q4.png

Gatchaman Crowds 1

The characters were pretty fun but there had to be a better way to handle the exposition dump than the way they did. It pretty much destroyed the pacing for the episode.

Jex

So I understand it that ufotable are making a Fate/Stay-Night something or other. This is not something I'm interested in as, from everything I've read, the source material is woeful. I wish they were doing something non-F/S but I guess that's where the money is at.

fertygo

Saber is the most popular character of all three heroines(too bad there never was the Ilya route). So if they wanted sales then I could see them being attracted to Fate route. The big key is going to be the scriptwriter in that they could still heavily reword the dialogue so that the story is much better even if it's a straight adaptation. I do think good directing would make a big difference too.

HF is probably the best despite me liking Sakura the least of the heroines even less so than Saber. It does tie up a lot of loose ends from Fate Zero and the tone is probably the most mature in that route. What they might do is something similar to what Deen did which is base the route on HF but take elements from the rest of the routes. That would probably be the best if they wanted the work to stand on its own. Again the key people are going to be the director and scriptwriter. That way they could still make the show surprising but also hit some of the emotional highs in the other arcs.

Its either Fate or HF that they would make IMO

If its Fate, that's mean ufotable deep into Aniplex moneyhat and possibly have no problem with redoing UBW later too.. shit I can see split cour for Fate and UBW route.

If its HF, that means the DEEN's work is sufficed.. and they only done the rest.

I THINK if its HF we should already got the subtitle by now (or soon), when the main site/announcement only showing main title.. I think its obvious enough.

Pooya

Don't forget that they also have that other type-moon show Girls' work that they announced three years ago.

That's an original work by Type-moon, seeing how many years it takes for them to release any thing, I doubt Ufotable is actively working on that one as of now, probably waiting for their partner to finish this thing first :p

Shirou outside of Fate's chivalry bullshit are cool.
Nah, UBW and HF are entertaining read. Even Fate have some nicetime-travel talk.

I think he needs a complete redesign, personality and design, He was the protag of a somewhat harem, hentai VN, most of which is in his POV, you can't expect him to turn out better than this :v

HF is probably the best despite me liking Sakura the least of the heroines even less so than Saber. It does tie up a lot of loose ends from Fate Zero and the tone is probably the most mature in that route. What they might do is something similar to what Deen did which is base the route on HF but take elements from the rest of the routes. That would probably be the best if they wanted the work to stand on its own. Again the key people are going to be the director and scriptwriter. That way they could still make the show surprising but also hit some of the emotional highs in the other arcs. The show is going to make or break on the script. Also needs Aoki back in the directing chair, his ass isn't doing anything right now anyway.

Right, if it's a straight HF adaptation I don't think those Saber fans would like it very much, or Archer. I can see them altering it like that for appeasing fans. That would be good reason to make a new scenario based on the three routes. I hope we find out soon.

CorvoSol

Majestic Prince - 12

Since we're halfway the season and we have acclimatized to the interactions and relations between the main character cast, what is the best action to take? Surely, adding a sixth guy we know absolutely nothing about and having him magically be much better at the task the other five have been painstakingly improving at, that'll do the trick!

Sigh.

It isn't like the plot was good anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
I THINK if its HF we should already got the subtitle by now (or soon), when the main site/announcement only showing main title.. I think its obvious enough.

Well they haven't even announced what format it could be. The entire thing could be a troll and we could be getting more Ilya's Castle or something.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 9

I almost was going to say this episode was putting things back on track and by the books.

Then Truth reared his beautiful head.

Fuck this.

sonicmj1

Hopefully someone captures the F/SN PV on some shitty phonecam so we can know some info and see some work. It might just be basic info ala the Kill La Kill PVs though. Still I want to know if Urobuchi is getting involved. Him doing a rewrite based on F/SN would be a much better route to go than actually adapting Heaven's Feel.

If it unfortunately is a straight adaptation then I could see most of the preproduction work already being done a while ago as ufotable knew they were getting this contract the moment the Fate Zero blu-ray sales came in.

KnK was written by Nasu, and that was pretty much adapted as-is. Fate/Zero was written by Urobuchi, and that was also adapted fairly faithfully.

There's no reason whatsoever to expect that Ufotable will tamper too much with the source material in whatever F/SN arc they adapt. They often make smart choices in the process of adapting stuff (like excising most of the heavy internal monologue and rearranging flashbacks in F/Z), but if the arc's source material is really bad, there's only so much that'll change.

Sailor Moon 1

Being Meatball head is suffering.

Man she's quite a crybaby to the point that Tuxedo Mask told her to cut the shit and get moving.

I'm NOT YOUR MOM!

Dat head turn was probably nightmare fuel for kids back then. And we have quite a way to go.

fertygo

Well they haven't even announced what format it could be. The entire thing could be a troll and we could be getting more Ilya's Castle or something.

Maybe if its news from Silver link or something.. you're right though, there isn't much to talk currently.

KnK was written by Nasu, and that was pretty much adapted as-is. Fate/Zero was written by Urobuchi, and that was also adapted fairly faithfully.

There's no reason whatsoever to expect that Ufotable will tamper too much with the source material in whatever F/SN arc they adapt. They often make smart choices in the process of adapting stuff (like excising most of the heavy internal monologue and rearranging flashbacks in F/Z), but if the arc's source material is really bad, there's only so much that'll change.
Kara no Kyoukai 5 > F/Z

I finally had chance to drop that, I don't say about the rest of movies though loooool

Jarmel

Banned

Well part of the problem is the nature of the arcs themselves as Heaven's Feel for example depends on a lot of prior knowledge from the other two arcs not to mention some of the twists play off of stuff in the earlier arcs. They're gonna have to do some mixing if they want it to stand on its own. Yea the Urobuchi rewrite is my fantasy, something I have very little expectation that they'll actually do. They do need someone though to come in with an axe and splice something together that is a cohesive and gripping story by itself.

This is of course assuming that it's a TV series and not some one off movie that is guaranteed to be a clusterfuck.

Uchoten Kazoku 1

Oh man, now this is great stuff. I'm a big fan of this kind of slice-of-life supernatural-ish stuff, and when you've got a cast of fun characters presented in such a natural manner with really dynamic and interesting direction it's just plain enjoyable to watch. Can't wait to see more.

fertygo

Well part of the problem is the nature of the arcs themselves as Heaven's Feel for example depends on a lot of prior knowledge from the other two arcs not to mention some of the twists play off of stuff in the earlier arcs. They're gonna have to do some mixing if they want it to stand on its own. Yea the Urobuchi rewrite is my fantasy, something I have very little expectation that they'll actually do. They do need someone though to come in with an axe and splice something together that is a cohesive and gripping story by itself.

This is of course assuming that it's a TV series and not some one off movie that is guaranteed to be a clusterfuck.

Mixing mean they try Deen's approach again though.. urgh.

I'll say just do the best to create the atmosphere, let the execution overcoming the writing flaw.. its easier to do (but still close to miracle) and less risky.

Pacific Rim
It was like a Saturday morning cartoon for better and for worse. But man is it some of the most fun I've had this year! The long fight scene on the coast of Hong Kong was amazing! I love how GDT shoots action.

---

I'm liking the Gatchaman impressions so far. Will watch during
Persona 4 Arena Finals.

Jarmel

Banned
AO is going to do what Age/SAO/Gundam ZZ couldn't do.

It's going to break Corvo's spirit. I hope he likes truth because he's going to get a whole load of it.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 107: Crimson Star-Road

~ I'd rather fight and regret it than not fight and regret it. ~

This is it. I can feel it. The final act of the play. Everything is gonna be decided by Julian and Reinhard's decisions in this battle.
Didn't expect it to turn it out like this though. I was really looking forward to negotiations. But in this series, the way forward is painted by blood and guns, not by letters and treaties.

CorvoSol

You'll get your explanation.

But not from the people who made the show! I want them to tell me why they needed to put a wizard into a series where the only magic necessary was the love I felt for the cast.

The wizardthewizardthewizardthewizard

California

AO is going to do what Age/SAO/Gundam ZZ couldn't do.

It's going to break Corvo's spirit. I hope he likes truth because he's going to get a whole load of it.

But I liked ZZ Gundam! Judau and Roux and Puru and Haman are like, some of my favorite UC characters now. ZZ is my favorite UC show.

Uchoten Kazoku 1

Oh man, now this is great stuff. I'm a big fan of this kind of slice-of-life supernatural-ish stuff, and when you've got a cast of fun characters presented in such a natural manner with really dynamic and interesting direction it's just plain enjoyable to watch. Can't wait to see more.

More people should be checking this out! I was impressed as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
More people should be checking this out! I was impressed as well.
I watched it but didn't feel strongly enough about it to post impressions. Some aspects of it were interesting but the way it is written comes from an extremely uneducated place. Almost all dialogue was referential to both other people and things without contextualizing them in any manner.

CorvoSol

You make this journey sound so ominous.

In fairness, if you swap the legitimately good ZZ with the anime equivalent of being shanked by a guy you thought was your prison bro known as Gundam 00, then yeah, this has been a pretty strange journey.

Don't forget to include the drunken one night stand that is Code Geass, though.

Danganronpa 2

It still looks like they're lifting the FMVs directly from the game's code. That's cool I guess, but I'm wondering how they'll handle some upcoming... brutal scenes.

This still is a pretty safe and not so exciting adaptation, but my current love of the source material guarantees I will continue to watch it just to see how certain scenes are handled.

Sailor Moon 2

In the midst of Fortune Street, we have competing fortune tellers, one of which is obviously up to no good. In the meantime, Nerdy McNerdston relies on video games for his fortune. He will grow up one day to play Love Plus and have an e-waifu.

I was unaware of her having another potential love interest that wasn't Tuxedo Mask, or I just don't remember because blondy is unremarkable.

Tuxedo Mask's quote might as well be NEVER GIVE UP! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, while killing plants so that way he can throw them at people. What an ass.

Although I bet kids didn't get to see this (nsfw) back then!

I watched it but didn't feel strongly enough about it to post impressions. Some aspects of it were interesting but the way it is written comes from an extremely uneducated place. Almost all dialogue was referential to both other people and things without contextualizing them in any manner.

I personally didn't get a good idea of who the Friday Fellows are and what their importance is to the plot, but the first episode presented itself nicely enough to the point where any issues I had with it were minor. It looks promising to me.

cnet128

Banned
Symphogear G 2

Hm, those two new villain girls are pretty cute. Befriend now please.
befriend means yuri

Also SO MUCH SPECTACLE. There be flames and explosions and blades and capes and projectiles and SRSBSNS SINGING and giant monster abominations and SPINNING DRILL PUNCH OF HEAVEN PIERCINGs and RAINBOW TORNADOS. This is what makes Symphogear worthwhile.

I personally didn't get a good idea of who the Friday Fellows are and what their importance is to the plot, but the first episode presented itself nicely enough to the point where any issues I had with it were minor. It looks promising to me.

I don't think a narrative needs to carefully explain all the terms and backstory that the characters in it reference when they reference it. Especially for what looks to be a series of character vignettes as opposed to a continuous serial narrative. The writing in the episode was very natural between the characters such that you could get a sense for their personalities and relationships without the need for exposition. I would certainly not have wanted them to start explaining to each other what they already know solely for the benefit of the audience.

For the purposes of this episode, all we need to know about the Friday Fellows is that they're a group of people Benten hangs out with. Nothing more is required.

CorvoSol

Bunny Drop 9

If this show doesn't end with Dakichi and Nitani at the very least going on a date, I'm gonna be so mad. I mean COME ON. This whole episode was the greatest family flavored ship tease like, ever. Rin inviting the woman to spend the night was like, the cherry on top. C'mon Daikichi you can do this!

Although, there's been a lot of awkward chemistry between Daikichi and Masako, too.

Still, Daikichi x Nitani =OTP.

Tenumi

Banned
Hmm... Perhaps I should remove Eureka 7 AO from my future watch list...

Also, I may or may not be watching a ton of anime tomorow and Sunday. Depends if a couple of my friends who are going to Japan have extra time to hang out.

Metrotab

Banned
Majestic Prince - 14

Looks like Izuru too flies Trans-American. Not gonna hate though, this was legitimately a good battle moment whereas all previous battles have been boring intermezzos for the comedy.

It would have been great if the New-Kid-Is-So-Much-Better-Than-These-Losers! montage ended with him NTRing Izuru's space alien waifu. That scene was montaged perfectly to elicit those hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom