• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Nine Episodes For Mortal Men, Doomed to Die,
In Mahou Shoujo Mordorka, Where the Shadows Lie.

EDIT: BUT REALLY THIS IS EPISODE EIGHT. I MAY HAVE LIED TO YOU. DON'T GET UPSET CUZ I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT.

We begin this episode with what is basically the magical girl equivalent of that berserker moment in Eureka Seven where basically any mecha protagonist (you may have seen this happen to Shinji, for instance) loses his grip, defeats his enemy, and basically just pounds his pulp until the ground beneath has been sufficiently softened.

It's hard for me to care when Madoka cries now, because she's spent the entire series crying. I legit feel sympathy for all the other girls before I do for Madoka. Because Madoka mopes without good reason, so why should I care when there IS good reason?

Jeez, Madoka, Blue has JUST TOLD YOU a rather good reason for why NOTHING can make her happy. That whole "I sold my soul to the devil and am doomed to eternal damnation and a life of misery which will end in a horrific and painful way" thing[? And then you go "What can I do to make you happy?" You can fuck off with your moepy face, that's what you can do.

Yeah, if I was Black, the last thing I'd want to do is tell The Devil where I was getting my statistics on anything. Fucking who even let you in here, Lucifer? Oh sure now you want to give us vital information? Oh, and it is just "Blue is turning into a witch"? Well gee who could be responsible for THAT?

Green picked a nice place to confess her love. By a waterfall at sunset? Niiiice. So why does Black want to help Madoka so badly? My guess is that preventing Kyube from getting her soul is her immediate goal, or that stopping whatever it is Kyube requires Madoka's soul for is Black's objective.

This bears repeating.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaand now the Pimp and Whore comparison becomes more obvious. OH SNAP. Kinda saw this coming, but the real question is whether or not Kyube wanted this to happen as part of his goal. I'm guessing he did. Cuz being a satanic fiend is sorta his deal.

Is it beyond Kyube's power to turn Blue back into a regular girl because it is beyond his power to do this for Magical Girls, or because she just turned into a witch? The most horrifying thing about Kyube, though, is not that he ensnares little girls into a vicious death cycle. Not that he lies or deceives. Not that he intentionally misdirects.

The most horrifying thing is that he implies that he is not in charge. That there is someone other than him who set forth the rules of Magical Girls and Witches, and who has these answers that he does not. Kyube's vague hints toward being a middle man in a much, much larger machine are the most terrifying aspect of the show. Because if Kyube isn't running this, who is? Why? Can they be stopped? At what cost? What if Kyube is just a demon, doing demonic things, for someone who needs this legitimate evil dealt with? What if he was once like the girls, and became warped this way by working with someone even more abusive? Goodness knows Homura has already abandoned enough to make her seem as aloof and apathetic as Kyube at times.

The Gospel According to St. Luke said:
5) And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, showed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6) And the devil said to him, All this power will I give you, and the glory of them: for that is delivered to me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

HOLY FUCK OH MY GOD FULL OF BULLETS HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT HOLY FUCK THE BULLETS HAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHE JUST KEEPS SITTING NEXT TO THE BULLET HOLE RIDDEN CORPSE. OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUUUUUUUUHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

zddQDj2.png

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

HE'S FUCKING EATING HIS BODY. OH MY GOD. IT'S LIKE THEY SAID "WHAT IS THE MOST FUCKED UP NOT SEXUAL THING THAT HE CAN DO HERE?" AND THE GUY IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM SAID "EAT HIS OWN CORPSE." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. HE'S EATING HIS OWN BODY.

She's from the future? That actually explains a fair amount. What if Black IS Pink? Also Incubator is an ominous sounding name. OH MY GOD. GRIEF SEEDS ARE WITCHES' SOUL GEMS. WHEN YOU SIPHON YOUR OWN CORRUPTION INTO ONE, YOU ARE FILLING A TORTURED SOUL WITH EVEN MORE ANGUISH AND GRIEF.

And the terrible confirmation that the life of a Magical Girl is the fate of She Who Fights Monsters.

Stuart444

A Certain Scientific Railgun S - 14

Absolutely fantastic episode, it was done so so much better than in Index. So much more emotional, great performances from the VAs through out the ep.

The wait for next week is going to be painful :(

7Th

Since you people always seem eager to look ahead to the future:

Genuinel fucking EXCITED
KILL la KILL

Interested
Galilei Donna

Kinda interested
Coppelion
Ryochimo Quartet

Male protagonists are the cancer killing anime so I'm not watching anything else.

Nine Episodes For Mortal Men, Doomed to Die,
In Mahou Shoujo Mordorka, Where the Shadows Lie.
This episode. Yes.

HOLY FUCK OH MY GOD FULL OF BULLETS HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT HOLY FUCK THE BULLETS HAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHE JUST KEEPS SITTING NEXT TO THE BULLET HOLE RIDDEN CORPSE. OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUUUUUUUUHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Yesss.

HE'S FUCKING EATING HIS BODY. OH MY GOD. IT'S LIKE THEY SAID "WHAT IS THE MOST FUCKED UP NOT SEXUAL THING THAT HE CAN DO HERE?" AND THE GUY IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM SAID "EAT HIS OWN CORPSE." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. HE'S EATING HIS OWN BODY.

YESSSSS.

OH MY GOD. GRIEF SEEDS ARE WITCHES' SOUL GEMS. WHEN YOU SIPHON YOUR OWN CORRUPTION INTO ONE, YOU ARE FILLING A TORTURED SOUL WITH EVEN MORE ANGUISH AND GRIEF.

m-bison-yes-o.gif

iavi

Male protagonists are the cancer killing anime so I'm not watching anything else.

I feel like I've heard it all now. Now it's not only CG and moe, but male protagonists. Why?

---

As for what I'm hyped for:

Kill la Kill
Space Dandy
Golden Time

And I'm super fuckin hyped for those.

Narag

Back on the topic of the Gatchaman Crowds suits, there's something at 57 seconds or so in the OP that reminds me of the old stuff. Wouldn't mind a suit like that appearing.

Sailor Moon 5

3BBUA.gif

KICKING POWERS!

This is obviously (not) a satirical representation of the Furby craze that happened when I was just a little Yayoi Kirby, and it made kids fucking crazy. Pets that smell good, I'd like one that can smell good 24/7 even when it gets wet. Great.

NEXT TIME, AMI MIGHT SHOW UP! The real main character appears.

Oofuri 15 - 16

Intense game it is with the pitching dynamics as well as the Lead Lead Lead Lead Tajima things, base stealing, and Hamada cheering stuff. Even on the bench with the coaches and how they handle their teams. It just feels so full of life and focused on the characters that it makes for a really enjoyable and immersive experience.
Mihashi's running was hilarious when he tried to run/steal.

Narag

Compare the ear things.

I see now. I'd just noticed the rounded helmet when I was watching this and the quality of the youtube vid was messy there. Thanks!

I suppose I should have picked up on this too as it appears during what I assume to be the highlighting of the Gatchman adversaries when that corrupted logo shows.

Symphogear G 2

You know, there's usually a kind of ebb and flow when it comes to action shows like this. There's always some buildup even in the middle of battle to create tension and stuff. Instead, this episode opted to have NO downtime at all, instead following a more basic path of escalation where shit just gets bigger and badder in awesome ways.

Yeah, this is show of the season right now. If they can keep this level of quality up, the show may have a spot in my top 30 of all time. Damn is this fun to watch.

Hattori

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds First Impression:

I LOVE IT! So colorful, so wacky and upbeat, it's just all around fun. Hajime Ichinose has to be one of my favorite characters of the season. She's increadibly bubbly and outgoing, and she pretty much carried this whole episode. All the characters seem to have very unique personalities and I can't wait to see them featured more in future episodes (especially Utsutsu aka vajaybones, cool Jou, and O.D.) It was a great episode, albeit a very rushed(?) one.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 30

Goddammit, they need to give some kind of disclaimer before episodes like this. Episodes with attachment to pets and shit, just...warn me before you bring that shit.

Basically, a girl finds Dash injured after it got away from Sakura and treated it and nursed it back to health. She grows attached to it, not surprising since it was the cutest little fucker ever. And because he helped make her better. Well, the show says it didn't, she just got better with her own practice. What was tugging at me wasn't the meet, it was that Sakura had to seal the thing away after the girl became so attached to it, and even named it "Peewee."

*sigh* I gotta go to bed on this. It all ended well though. Major props to Shaoran for letting him out and letting her see him before she ran though. Possibly the coolest thing he's done so far. I think the girl can be comfortable now. She'll always remember Peewee, even though she might not understand what it was. That's good I guess. Ah fuck, i'm rambling. Anyway, like I said, warnings before episodes like these. And any involving Sakura's mom, because those are always emotional (yet touching).

iavi

Because it's a joke,

Sometimes, I just can't tell.

---

Almost done with Toradora again. Good primer for Golden Time, I guess. I don't know what it is about this show that separates it from the rest of it's similars, but there's something.

Dresden

Love Lab - 02

Not looking forward to the cast being diluted even more once Green and Red are back in the fold. The main two are just funnier and better and it's kind of depressing to know that not only will they steadily lose screentime to make room for others, boys are going to get their grubby hands on them eventually. Is this how Burton always feels? I hope Ohta keeps the balls away.

Joe Molotov

Ghost in the Shell

Hell yeah, this movie just keeps getting better with age. I think this is the best anime movie I've ever seen. Fuck them all to hell for making that 2.0 atrocity, that was an embarrassment.

Andrew J.

Pacific Rim

A while back, one or two threads ago, either Jexhius or Branduil posted a gif of an animation cut from Evangelion, commenting "There's so much weight!", or words to that effect.

That gif has fucking nothing on this film. If you haven't seen it, go see it. And stay through the initial credit sequence!

cajunator

Banned
huh, team visor really did disband.

Team shades conquers all!

Alright guys I finally have an entire weekend off to do nothing but drink, play games and watch anime. Maybe I'll head to the cinema to watch Pacific Rim maybe not.

Either way what shows are worth watching from this season. Only looking for good stuff not the god awful shit that people watch because its ironically enjoyable (when its really not). So far I got Free, Mosaic someshitoranother and Ro Kyu Bu S2 queued up but I'm looking for more.

Thanks!

Love Lab and Watamote.

Gatchaman Crowds 1

Ohmygod this was so much fun. Hajime best character in the history of forever. Her genki puts all other genki characters to shame. Transcendental genki. And the notebook fetish is adorable too. Pity about the :chet, but at least we have gorgeous loli Utsutsu to balance that out. APPROVED.

Genki? I love genki girls!
if I were a girl I would be super genki.
probably.

Love Lab - 02

Not looking forward to the cast being diluted even more once Green and Red are back in the fold. The main two are just funnier and better and it's kind of depressing to know that not only will they steadily lose screentime to make room for others, boys are going to get their grubby hands on them eventually. Is this how Burton always feels? I hope Ohta keeps the balls away.

Suddenly, there was bonding.

Would have to agree with the main two being rather funny.
HyperDimension Neptunia

The savior of anime is here!
Because it'll resurrect Jojo

Well this is.... something...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl 7

Pretty average episode, really. Last segment with Squid Girl working at South Wind was the best. The whole "Nagisa is afraid of Squid Girl" thing isn't really my favorite part of the show. Hope they don't overuse it.

Still a decent episode overall, definitely not bad or anything. Just not as good as previous episodes.

Gatchaman Crowds 1:

Beyond my total apathy toward all of the infodump and exposition, which all amounted to what's essentially sentai/mahou shoujo plot number eleventy-billion, I really couldn't feel Nakamura's heart in this. There are some arty shots and his aesthetic is there, and even then it's unevenly applied, but I couldn't sense any of the usual pet focuses like character psychology or even [C]'s social commentary. I don't know how much control over the creative process he has in this compared to his previous projects, and for now his involvement feels like a coat of paint rather than something more, uhh, whole, I guess. This just doesn't seem like the kind of subject matter that would personally appeal to his sensibilities.

I think that some of my disappointment has to do with Hajime specifically; I'm trapped at a terrible crossroads where my critical faculties and wish fulfillment needs are in diametric opposition. My basest self secretly loves starry-eyed, cloyingly, naively optimistic and ceaselessly genki girls because it's an ideal, ideal perhaps because these characters impart the sense that they would love you unconditionally, that doesn't exist in real life. This is also precisely why I despise their presence from a critical standpoint; genki-bots are grotesquely unrealistic and typically one-note. They're generally worthless for dramatic purposes because they have total moral clarity and childlike perceptions of right and wrong, making their actions predictable and their identities barren for cultivating interesting characterization. I'm hoping that the show can surprise me and do something with her in spite of her personality and that she's not just going to be played straight as a vehicle for manufactured appeal, because she'll likely become intolerable should that happen. For now......ehhhhhhhh. I got tired of her sparkling wonder at everything and her playful disregard for Gacha protocol pretty quickly.

Hajime seems like exactly the kind of character that appeals to Nakamura: an uninhibited, socially dysfunctional eccentric in the mold of Irabu from Trapeze or Haru from Tsuritama.

iavi

Gatchaman Crowds 1:
genki-bots are grotesquely unrealistic and typically one-note. They're generally worthless for dramatic purposes because they have total moral clarity and childlike perceptions of right and wrong, making their actions predictable and their identities barren for cultivating interesting characterization .

It interesting that I'm watching Toradora again at the moment you say this, cause Minorin is, yet isnt this all the same. Like everything, it's something that falls back to the strength of the characterization, or writing, and not the actual type used.

Joe Molotov

I've been on an Oshii kick, I watched Patlabor 1 a few days ago. He was god-tier back in the day. But lately though, uhhhhhhh. I actually liked Sky Crawlers, but for God's sake, he needs to stop making live-action movies! Assault Girls was not something that should have happened!

Narag

I've been on an Oshii kick, I watched Patlabor 1 a few days ago. He was god-tier back in the day. But lately though, uhhhhhhh. I actually liked Sky Crawlers, but for God's sake, he needs to stop making live-action movies! Assault Girls was not something that should have happened!

Watch Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.

Shergal

Gatchaman Crowds 1
It was okay. It looks pretty rough in parts, and I think they could've handled the flow better. Same for the editing, it's kinda inconsistent with some nice touches mixed in with blander sections.

I like Hajime, but that's because we're in episode 1. Hopefully she won't have the exact same schtick for twelve weeks, it would become unbearable.

I'm still not sure where Nakamura wants to go, from this episode alone. Will it focus more on character relationships (which I expect and would prefer) or will it be more plot-centric with emphasis on whatever large scale conflict comes up?
The commentaries he made before the beginning of the show about social networking are interesting, but I still didn't see too much of that. I guess the NOTEs are amusing in how they mix the old with the modern, but that's it.

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed this one. I hope episode 2 is a clear improvement though.

wonzo

Banned
Silver Spoon 1

sspoon1.jpg

I wasn't really feeling this at first but it definitely got into the swing of things by the end of it. I'd really fond of the manga so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Hachiken grow as a character all over again, but animated!

Yeah, his live action stuff is truly atrocious.

Watch Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.
also thiss

Hayate no Gotoku! 16

AHJGXPQl.jpg

Why teeth?

A little amused they finished the chapter with like 5 minute to spare and had to run commercials or basically filler to get up the rest of the time.

Railgun 14

Best arc in the series. One of my favorite moments from said arc. Railgun is kawaii as fuck.

Also, best OST in recent memory. Does anyone know when it will be released? They really out did them selves in terms of music composition and directing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom