• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece Film Z

HOOOO

LEEEEEE

SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

ANIME OF THE FOREVER OMGTHATWASFUCKINAMAZINGTHEREISSEMENALLOVERMYROOMFROMHOWAWESOMETHATWASHOLYFUCKINGSHITTTTTTT

(Will have actual impressions tomorrow when I regain my sanity from the awesome)

Dresden

I like the Katsuji Mori connection into the past.

gY9LERo.jpg

And is this a non-typecast role for Miyano???

yami4ct

Gatchaman Crowds 1

So, looks like this may be my only anime of the summer season as nothing else has caught my eye. As for the first episode, I liked it. Mostly liked it anyway.

So, on the positive side, it's super pretty. Great use of colors, great transformation effects, fun looking battles. This show is super great to look at. The fight choreography could be better, but that will hopefully come when we move past cannon fodder enemies. The characters are fun so far as well, so that's really good. By far the best part of the show, though, is the music. So good. It just ties everything together in a great way. The battle themes are especially fantastic. The music alone might have been enough to make me keep watching.

On the negative side, story wasn't handled all that well here. Lots of exposition delivered in a strange way. All that stuff made parts of the episode drag way longer than they should. Suit design is a mixed bag. Most of them look neat enough, but I don't know. They just aren't clicking for me. Main heroine could get super annoying as well. She's just too energetic. She doesn't feel fit for a main role, but I'm hoping we see her develop nicely over the course of the series.

Overall, my biggest complaint is nothing here felt like "Gatchaman" to me. I'm all for dramatic remaginings of classic franchises. I don't mind making major changes to the formula, but I feel like they need to keep some of the original spirit of the show alive in order to justify using the franchise name instead of being an original IP. There's nothing here that screams "Gatchaman" to me, and I just feel like it doesn't work for both the original IP and this show itself. The name and terminology just feels like it's been slapped on a completely different Team Hero show.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Going forward, I know to not expect this to be anything like the old Gatchaman, and I'm OK with that. I'm totally fine judging it on its own merits. They're off to a decent start, so I'm really excited to see how this progresses throughout the season.

I feel like I was deliberately baited into exposing my ignorance yet again... it's not worth it to try to point things out anymore.

That was in no way my intention. I didn't know about how it originally refers to Cyborg 009 and only know it from Disgaea where the item Accelerator's item description is literally, "Why teeth?".

I'm basically referencing a reference!

Articalys

I didn't know about how it originally refers to Cyborg 009
Then why not mention that in the first place? You made it sound like you already knew both levels of the reference, and then

yeah, actually, forget it, I'm just going to drop it, none of this entire conversation starting from post 13599 ever happened

CorvoSol

People posting the titles of things in Kanji drive me insane. Do I look like I'm Daniel? I can't interpret your magical Nebuchenezzar dreem speek.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
パシフィック•リム

Mecha anime of the year!

People posting the titles of things in Kanji drive me insane. Do I look like I'm Daniel? I can't interpret your magical Nebuchenezzar dreem speek.

B-but that's katakana...

Also highlight, right-click, "Search Google for _______". Unless you're not using Chrome, I suppose. >>

I'll second this. It's lame, especially if I'm on my phone and can't google the moon runes to see what it is you are talking about.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I will agree with the whole "posting titles of Western things in Japanese to justify posting impressions in the anime thread" thing being kinda lame, yeah. It was a bit funny at first but now it's just kinda a pain in the ass if you actually want to find out what they're talking about.

CorvoSol

I mean it looks cool and all I guess but couldn't we at least have the English title in spoilers underneath for people who can't read Japanese?

Dresden

생일축하합니다, /XX/.

Watching Free! under the assumption Rin is a ghost and the other guys are still dealing with his death is yielding more fruit than I thought possible.

"But you said he got back home!" cried Gou.

"He did," said her mother. "His ashes, anyways."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation Episode 1: Meh, yet another game anime that just make me want to go and play the game.

Gatchaman Crowd 1
An incredibly annoying lead, tons of exposition dumps, inconsistent visuals, poor humor, and some creepy molestation innuendo led to a rather disappointing first episode. Honestly, if Nakamura's name wasn't attached to this I'd probably be inclined to drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom