• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 14

Some spooky shit going on right now.

Yep, called it. Lia is taking over D'Eon. I think soon we'll see that they swap places even more to the point D'Eon's soul is at risk of vanishing. He won't vanish, of course, because we've had an elderly version of him providing reminiscent narration in past episodes, but still.

Just what was Lia's involvement?! She seems to have been working, albeit less enthusiastically, with Maximilian who already had the Royal Psalms. Wtf.

Teillagory is such a fucking badass. One of the best characters in this show, bar none.

OH SHIT WTF I was not expecting that

Aw yeah
Lia saving the day because she's more or less the only spellcaster/poet in the group.

Jex

[Gatchaman Crowds] - 1

Why didn't we head the warning signs?

c-06-large05gos10.jpg

gcxpsa1.jpg

It should have been obvious that this was doing to be garbage!

In all seriousness, I dislike the characters, the character designs, the background art, the colour design and, well, everything. The animation is surprisingly poor too and the episode itself doesn't even look finished. Even though this is the first episode they appear to have run of out time to animate it all a la Attack on Titan during the scene in the G-base where the camera cuts to their feet for a good 30 seconds. It's just a mess.

Dropped like a Colony.

Thoraxes

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! OVAs

UCmug6S.jpg
t1eZEW7.jpg

So, because I literally can not post 90% of screens from this, i'm going to go take a cold shower/sleep and my impressions were basically:

BUBv9My.gif

• Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory 01
I don't know why I'm choosing to watch this show over anything else. But here I am.

not even 10 seconds in and we're treated to more cleavage than Date A Live.
Okay maybe not

jiggle physics. Now you know this is about a video game. This show is doubly awkward to watch right now because I have a guest I'm sharing my room with who I don't know and they're watching me watch these girls and boobs gahhhh

Hahahaha a blatant public service announcement. Perfect.
jfGtkNn.png

Not feeling it for this OP.

Behold, the power of the Market Share.

Uncle Ben, may he rest in peace.
2w65o6C.png

Aww Nepgear. Cute stuff. ROM and RAM? Could you be any more blatant?
She moved like 3 inches. Whyyyy the jiggle physics

Literally all that's happened so far is people clicking on their computers Skyping each other. :mad:

TRANSFORMATION TRANSFORMATION TRANSFORMAAAATION

Aww yiss action and J-pop fight music. Monster of the week: Dog-slimes. hehe okay whatever. My mind is so turned off right now.

THIS IS SO LEWD WORSE THAN SWORD ART ONLINE TENTACLES

And now headbutt to the boobs attack.

AND THE LEWDNESS STRIKES BACK

Considering dropping this show. It's pretty unintelligible having not played the games myself. I'm only watching now because I loved Date A Live so.

Sailor Moon 7

This shit is nightmare fuel, and probably more disturbing than almost anything in Precure.... and we're only 7 episodes in!

Being a star is suffering if they want to be like Mikan. Mmmm Mikan. Speaking of which, Naked girl getting tied up fetish!

So how about this smug fucker? I don't think they revealed his name yet here, and I refuse to use the name I recall from the dub because I don't think it's real anyway, but I took this shot because it was just his face for like 2-3 seconds after Usagi left, with no real changes or quirks in that time. Clearly it's foreshadow and whatnot, but it's pretty blatant since it's like Team rocket the anime.

Speaking of which, why are there "HERE'S WHATS HAPPENING TODAY YOU FUCKERS" at the beginning? Wouldn't you do that as a "HERE'S WHATS HAPPENING NEXT TIME YOU FUCKERS". It's like here's a summary of the episode, now go do something with your life for the span of this episode. Toei being Toei I guess.

CorvoSol

Episode X: Disney wanted more money

EDIT: THIS IS ACTUALLY EPISODE 9. I AM SORRY.

WHEN LAST WE SAW THE REBEL ALLIANCE THIS JOKE IS TOO OLD TO CONTINUE

There is no way this show ends happily, is there? I mean the adversary is Satan, and unless Black has been sent by God, I'm guessing in this universe the Heavens basically don't care that Satan is luring little girls into a horrible death game. And if that is the case, this just doesn't end happily. Blue is just flat out gonna die, and Red probably will, too. At which point Black will be in mortal peril and bookends to the first episode.

Bitch I did NOT say you could come in my room. Satan is so impolite. "OH YEAH SO WE TURN YOU INTO MAGICAL GIRLS AND THEN WITCHES BUT IT IS FOR A LEGITIMATE REASON. Yeah right. You know who else was doing it all for a totally legit reason? The Eleven Sol Masters of GaoGaiGar Final, and they were still evil. Master Asia, when he teamed up with the Devil and-

OH MY GOD.

MASTER ASIA IS A PUELLA MAGI. WWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

IT MAKES SENSE. He has the signature weapon (his sash) and he has the magical powers (dances on laser beams and blows stuff up by telling it to do so and that MUSTACHE).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GET IT OUT OF MY BRAAAAAAIN.

Wait, though, is Kyube actually an alien? Or is this just another one of his lies? Because "Sufficiently advanced tech/mech/alien indistinguishable from God/Magic: wasn't really the explanation I was expecting or needing. It must be a lie, because ten seconds' thought rips a hole in it: How does an alien species incapable of emotions and understanding them (as Kyube seems to not understand the emotions of the girls) possibly develop technology that converts emotions into energy?

And what happens if Kyube's people run into the Gurren Lagann?

Oh so basically The Spiral Problem justifies your doing this to humanity? Without their consent? No, no it does not. You're treating a sentient race as if it were cattle, Kyube. Last time I checked, that made you kind of sort of a monster. Saving the universe does not justify what you have done. If you needed energy, you should've contacted a race that was aware of this problem. Not slaughtered those who had no clue.

Oh yes, the GIRLS consent. But they do so 1)Without being told what this game is you're throwing them into 2)That they must inevitably become Witches 3)after being lured in with promises of wishes granted 4)without any knowledge of the rules of this game and 5) often times under duress, which you have attempted on Madoka NUMEROUS times.

You can say that your race doesn't feel emotion, Kyube, but even assuming that were true (and let's be honest, with a liar like you it flat out is not), I'd have hoped they weren't stupid. Deceiving girls into this is not the equivalent of them freely consenting because they don't know what it is they are allegedly "consenting" to. You don't have to feel to realize that a choice made without full knowledge is not the same as a choice made with it, and indeed, I should think that for an asentimental hellspawn like you, the worth of information in the decision making process should be apparent, given how you could not comprehend emotionally made decisions.

Of course since you not being able to feel or understand emotions is bullshit since you've done an excellent job of manipulating them thus far, one can only assume you're bullshitting right this very instant. You fucking weasel.

"We can't understand what it means to trick." UH. REALLY? HOW FUCKING DUMB IS YOUR RACE SUPPOSED TO BE. THIS IS FIRST GRADE. "Do you want A or B, Kyube? A grants your wishes, B doesn't." "Okay then I want A." "Okay A cost you your soul, too. The end." See? No emotion, just information.

Evasive, lying, weasley bastard. You know who he reminds me of? The Anti Spiral Life Form. Prattles on and on and on about how this is for the good of everyone but never asks anyone if it is what they want. Hey buddy, you should ask this guy named Char Aznable how well that worked out for him when he started dropping meteors onto the Earth.

Red turned out to be a stand up gal after all. Finding out she'd been lied to by the Devil probably influenced that. This still isn't going to end up well, though.

Like I said, I didn't foresee this ending happily. Also, lest someone tells me "Kyube never lies, he only [insert basically lying here], allow me to point out that in this episode Kyube very specifically tells Kyoko "I don't know/there is no known way to turn Sayaka back into a Magical Girl." But then he turns around and tells Homura "It's obviously impossible to turn a Magical Girl back once she's become a Witch." Which means that the first "I don't know a way" and the second "There is no way" contradict, or, in other words, Kyube lied. There is NO weaseling out of that.

Not as OMG as last episode, but a lot of wishing I could ruin that cabbit.

Blusby

Nihongos who saw the FSN Ufotable PV said it was Heaven's Feel, so I suppose this will be a straight up Heaven's Feel adaption. Please come soon.

Lain

Railgun S 13-14

Seeing the sisters arc in more detail is pretty good. Touma is always the unlucky awesome heroic guy and in episode 14 the exchange between him and Mikasa was done really well, and I'll also note that the music during that was also good, hitting all the right spots with me.
I'm a bit surprised that the show has kept good visuals up to now, though that makes me excited for the coming episodes.

Hey Corvo, looks like your last two Madoka impressions are off by one episode. Notice how you never made an episode 8 impression? You didn't actually miss an episode, they're just titled wrong. Confused the hell out of me reading your episode 10 impression and it being nothing like how I remembered it.

Jex

Maybe if it took place in the day. Lol.

We all know that the Jaegers from Pacific Rim can't operate in sunlight and even if the Hong Kong fight did take place during the day it wouldn't be the equal from any of the more important fights in Evangelion because we actually care about the characters in that series.

Oh god what have I started. Sorry. Pacific Rim is a hugely enjoyable robot/kaiju movie that everyone should go watch.
Fuck that. Give me Pacific Rim Zero: The Kaiju War.

This guy knows what's up:

Agreed.

Theonik

C3 Club 02
Yep still not feeling it. Though the Aiko clone is still a great addition to the show any enjoyment I draw from it gets drowned out by something else. Not even the GAINAX jiggle and pose could save it, the former felt just weird if anything.
After all this convincing they put her through I bet it's going to end up like those cases where the trial is so much better than the real product. That gun culture and SDBurton were other saving graces but still not enough. Doesn't help how bad they look either. Roles feel like they desperately needed reversal in the later picture which is the humour they were going for I suppose but it just didn't click for me.
I still don't think I'll be dropping it just yet though.

Dropped like a Colony,
Dropping pre-emptively, thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RKB
17C9mRwl.jpg

Everything is so easily misinterpreted in this show.

---

So because of Oonuma, I decided to check out Fate Ilya... it looks like he just Shinbo'ed it. Go figure.

Hey Corvo, looks like your last two Madoka impressions are off by one episode. Notice how you never made an episode 8 impression? You didn't actually miss an episode, they're just titled wrong. Confused the hell out of me reading your episode 10 impression and it being nothing like how I remembered it.

Oh hey you're right. I was watching it again on Crunchyroll to check.

That OP is always so hard to watch. ):

The actual Episode 10 is my favorite episode.

Dresden

What exactly were the main problems with C?

Ugly, obsessed with details that never built up into any cohesive whole, flat characters, ideas touched upon but never explored, or just dealt with in a derisively simple way.

---

People need to use the single-show OTs more. Don't complain about your posts not being read when the thread moves so swiftly.

Uchoten Kazoku
Gatchaman Crowds
Free

If there's more, let me know. I'll edit them into the OP later on; if there's no room, well, goodbye, synopsis for Highschool DxD.

Shergal

Madoka 9 stuff

Leaving aside the part where QB's motivation is completely retarded and the mechanics of their "plan" are inherently incapable of making sense, what would you do in his position? The universe will inevitably end and you gotta prevent it (yes, stupid, but let's suspend the disbelief a bit), and the only way to combat the problem that your race of highly advanced cabbits has found consists of harvesting little girls. Doesn't seem like too high a price for saving the entire universe, does it?

Of course, from the perspective of Madoka and humanity, he'll still be evil and an antagonist, but if you live light years away and your species barely even considers humanity as functional, it sorta follows logically.

Dynedom

Gargantia - 04

Man, the
flashback to who was presumably Ledo's little brother?
;_;

This show has some great vistas and that's really something considering the amount of CG. I like how the plot is progressing. Definitely a character-driven show.

Sorry in advance, but it is time for my seasonal "can some kind person please tell me what good new action/adventure/mindfuckery type animes that are potentially half decent that I should watch are?" I read through the OP and some pages, but I found it a little harder to piece together because it isn't in the sometimes used "you should watch these / these other shows are crap" type format.

So, can some kind person please tell me what good new action/adventure/mindfuckery type animes that are potentially half decent that I should watch are?"

I've pieced together the following list from image walls etc, some of them may be the same thing, but don't really know what I'm getting into.

kill la kill
Choujigen game neptunia
symphogear G
blood lad
genei wo kakeru taiyou
stella jogakuin
rozen maiden s3
fate/kaleid
kamisama no inai nichiyoubi
hitsugime no chaika
DANGANRONPA
HAKKENDEN - TOHO HAKKEN IBUN S2
HIGH SCHOOL D×D NEW
KARA NO KYOUKAI

CorvoSol

Haha, I was confused by this at first, but now that I think about it, its because I'm an episode ahead with AO and Bunny Drop, so I've just assumed Madoka was on the same number settings as the rest. I'll be sure to fix it in the next episode.

Leaving aside the part where QB's motivation is completely retarded and the mechanics of their "plan" are inherently incapable of making sense, what would you do in his position? The universe will inevitably end and you gotta prevent it (yes, stupid, but let's suspend the disbelief a bit), and the only way to combat the problem that your race of highly advanced cabbits has found consists of harvesting little girls. Doesn't seem like too high a price for saving the entire universe, does it?

Of course, from the perspective of Madoka and humanity, he'll still be evil and an antagonist, but if you live light years away and your species barely even considers humanity as functional, it sorta follows logically.

Madoka Spoilers

But destroying the universe in part in order to save it is foolishness. That was Domon's response to Master Asia when he'd laid bare this exact plan. To save Earth, what does it matter if you destroy one of the millions of species on it, and the most destructive at that? But Humanity is a part of the Earth, and destroying them is not the solution. If you've arrived at that solution, you've been hasty in making it, and are about to make a serious mistake, because you're destroying what you say you've set out to save.

Kyube's plan may not call for the destruction of all mankind, but it DOES put them at serious risk, and it does involve harvesting and destroying a part of them. If anything went awry in this poorly conceived plan of Kyube's, mankind would be utterly destroyed, and apparently emotional sentient life forms, and with them the loss of the very energy Kyube's species had set out to understand and harness. Kyube's plan is akin to the Tartan soldiers, who would drink the blood of their horses for sustenance on the way to battles. If they drank overmuch, or if the cut were to be infected, or too deep, the horse would die, and we all know what happens for the want of a nail or a horse. If a single Witch were to grow too strong, it could wipe out humanity, and since there is no stated failsafe for ending the cycle of Magical Girls in case something like this should happen, the plan is hilariously risky.

Oh sure, Madoka Kaname is potentially a very powerful Magical Girl, but Kyube's plan involves her becoming a VERY powerful Witch, and he's already said that his power would make her a God, and that no other Magical Girl would be able to stop her. It isn't unreasonable, then, to ask how Kyube intends to harvest Madoka's seed, and to point out that this means that it is possible that Madoka spirals beyond the control of Kyube's race and destroys Humanity and therefore the very thing Kyube's people need to survive.

The plan isn't just inherently risky, it is inherently stupid. For a race supposedly far advanced to humanity, it is dangerous in the extreme. The plan to stymie the end of the Universe is as likely to hasten it.

If I were in Kyube's position, I would think twice before embarking on a plan that could rapidly decrease the amount of time I have left to save the universe. And all of this is without considering the presentation of the plan to other species who are more educated in making the decision to participate in this sort of harvest.

Gurren Hen Final

It was an interesting way to finish off the Generals in one go. I tell you what, the second time around it is a lot easier to appreciate the things that happened in Gurren Lagann for the reasons they happened. I can even sort of tolerate Nia.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sorry in advance, but it is time for my seasonal "can some kind person please tell me what good new action/adventure/mindfuckery type animes that are potentially half decent that I should watch are?" I read through the OP and some pages, but I found it a little harder to piece together because it isn't in the sometimes used "you should watch these / these other shows are crap" type format.

So, can some kind person please tell me what good new action/adventure/mindfuckery type animes that are potentially half decent that I should watch are?"

you shouldn't be paying those any attention anyway -_-

For cosmic's sake I'll say Symphogear, otherwise Gatchaman I guess? Not a very strong season to begin with, and there don't seem to be many action/adventure anime this time around.

Reception about Blood Lad is pretty mixed but you could give it a try and see what you think.

you shouldn't be paying those any attention anyway -_-

Probably not but it is a start. I then lurk from there to see what keeps popping up as gifs.

For cosmic's sake I'll say Symphogear, otherwise Gatchaman I guess? Not a very strong season to begin with, and there don't seem to be many action/adventure anime this time around.

Reception about Blood Lad is pretty mixed but you could give it a try and see what you think.

Thanks, will try them out.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed by Fairy Tail's action scenes. Up until episode 7 It's all been still shots with special effects and the special effects for their magic is a little shitty. I still love the sense of adventure I get from it but does the action get better as the anime advances?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gotta say I'm a little disappointed by Fairy Tail's action scenes. Up until episode 7 It's all been still shots with special effects and the special effects for their magic is a little shitty. I still love the sense of adventure I get from it but does the action get better as the anime advances?

I'm pretty sure the CG magic circles goes away at some point.

I've pieced together the following list from image walls etc, some of them may be the same thing, but don't really know what I'm getting into.

kill la kill
Choujigen game neptunia
symphogear G
blood lad
genei wo kakeru taiyou
stella jogakuin
rozen maiden s3
fate/kaleid
kamisama no inai nichiyoubi
hitsugime no chaika
blood lad
DANGANRONPA
HAKKENDEN - TOHO HAKKEN IBUN S2
HIGH SCHOOL D×D NEW
HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA THE ANIMATION
KARA NO KYOUKAI
You ought to watch
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Free!
Blood Lad
Hakkenden
Daybreak Illusion

You should definitely keep an eye on Kill la Kill if you are looking for action. Sadly, you'll have to wait till the Fall season starts in the next three months. For right now, it sounds like Cosmic is really enjoying Symphogear.

cajunator

Banned
Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 9

I almost was going to say this episode was putting things back on track and by the books.

Then Truth reared his beautiful head.

Fuck this.

Corvy kun Im legit fearful of what this show will do to you. Please dont rush headlong into the abyss!

Sailor Moon 1

Being Meatball head is suffering.

Man she's quite a crybaby to the point that Tuxedo Mask told her to cut the shit and get moving.

I'm NOT YOUR MOM!

Dat head turn was probably nightmare fuel for kids back then. And we have quite a way to go.

Series 1 Is an interesting experience. How much about sailor moon do you actually know?

Bunny Drop 9

If this show doesn't end with Dakichi and Nitani at the very least going on a date, I'm gonna be so mad. I mean COME ON. This whole episode was the greatest family flavored ship tease like, ever. Rin inviting the woman to spend the night was like, the cherry on top. C'mon Daikichi you can do this!

Although, there's been a lot of awkward chemistry between Daikichi and Masako, too.

Still, Daikichi x Nitani =OTP.

I fear you are running out of this far too quickly.

Hmm... Perhaps I should remove Eureka 7 AO from my future watch list...

Also, I may or may not be watching a ton of anime tomorow and Sunday. Depends if a couple of my friends who are going to Japan have extra time to hang out.

Run away Tenumi. Dont make eye contact or acknowledge the show. Just RUN AWAY.

You should definitely keep an eye on Kill la Kill if you are looking for action. Sadly, you'll have to wait till the Fall season starts in the next three months. For right now, it sounds like Cosmic is really enjoying Symphogear.

Thanks. It is very hard to keep track of when things start and end (and pick up again). I appreciate the help.

You ought to watch
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Free!
Blood Lad
Hakkenden
Daybreak Illusion

Same again, I'll try to do so.

cajunator

Banned
Crunchyroll has a short preview piece up about that RWBY thing (which starts next week), if you're at all interested in it.

I still say the yellow one looks like Miki, though of course the eye color is different.

I am kinda intrigued by this and what its gonna be like. Expectations low but hopes are high!

rozen maiden 2

what WHAT. shit just went stein gate or something. Can it be this show is actually good???

Oh damn. You cannot compare it to Steins gate and not pique my interest >_

Also a quality Sentai release, it seems!

It was an enjoyable watch. The show transfer is better quality than some more recent releases.

Dynedom

Gargantia - 05 aka Being Overqualified Is Suffering

Pfft, in the real world recession we have, Ledo wouldn't have turned down that manure job!

So this was the "beach" episode of this series? Dat Ridget. Guess I don't mind a bit of fun at this point. Hopefully the next episode picks things up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom