• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Happy Birthday wishes to /XX/!

¡Feliz cumpleaños!

Hopefully I got that right.
Yeah, you definitely took good note... don't misunderstand, you know... I... I just was testing your capabilities, Nafe, it... it is not like I wanted to be congratulated or anything! ( ≖ˇдˇ≖)

And that phrase is totally right! Learning from Mr. Reg-chan advices about the inverted exclamation mark, eh? Many, many thanks! ('¡muchas, muchísimas gracias!')... :'-)

Happy Birthday /XX/!
Happy B-day /XX/, you bring information that mostly goes over my head and the fact that Anno likes flying pantsless butts.
Happy birthday, /XX/!
¡Feliz cumpleaños, sr. Dos Equis!
생일축하합니다, /XX/.
Happy birthday /XX/!
happy bday /xx/
Also, happy birthday XXXXX!!!
Happy Birthday /XX/!
お誕生日おめでとうございます /XX/-san!

I used Google Translate
Happy birthday, /XX/! I'd have mentioned it sooner but I've been mostly out of the thread all week.
Thanks Nife!
Happy birthday /XX/ !
Happy birthday /XX/
So it's /XX/ birthday ?

For you ( in norio wakamoto voice ) :
Happy Birthday /XX/!
Happy Bday /XX/. Best Anime Gaf user by mile just because you like football. Have a good one!
Happy birthday XX!
happy b-day /XX/
I think I must be the only person who hasn't said it yet, but: Happy birthday /XX/!
Happy Birthday to /XX/.
Also happy birthday /XX/!
happy birthday /XX/!
Also, Happy Birthday /XX/
Happy Birthday /XX/!
Happy birthday then!!
This got quite international suddenly with those 'moonrunes'! :p

You guys are the ones that are making this a 'NA-I-SU Day' (or 'NA-I-S') for me. Much appreciated, really!

Even if each passing year reminds me that:

iRNCIsiJvgshv.jpg

cajunator

Banned

Nine Episodes For Mortal Men, Doomed to Die,
In Mahou Shoujo Mordorka, Where the Shadows Lie.

EDIT: BUT REALLY THIS IS EPISODE EIGHT. I MAY HAVE LIED TO YOU. DON'T GET UPSET CUZ I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT.

We begin this episode with what is basically the magical girl equivalent of that berserker moment in Eureka Seven where basically any mecha protagonist (you may have seen this happen to Shinji, for instance) loses his grip, defeats his enemy, and basically just pounds his pulp until the ground beneath has been sufficiently softened.

It's hard for me to care when Madoka cries now, because she's spent the entire series crying. I legit feel sympathy for all the other girls before I do for Madoka. Because Madoka mopes without good reason, so why should I care when there IS good reason?

Jeez, Madoka, Blue has JUST TOLD YOU a rather good reason for why NOTHING can make her happy. That whole "I sold my soul to the devil and am doomed to eternal damnation and a life of misery which will end in a horrific and painful way" thing[? And then you go "What can I do to make you happy?" You can fuck off with your moepy face, that's what you can do.

Yeah, if I was Black, the last thing I'd want to do is tell The Devil where I was getting my statistics on anything. Fucking who even let you in here, Lucifer? Oh sure now you want to give us vital information? Oh, and it is just "Blue is turning into a witch"? Well gee who could be responsible for THAT?

Green picked a nice place to confess her love. By a waterfall at sunset? Niiiice. So why does Black want to help Madoka so badly? My guess is that preventing Kyube from getting her soul is her immediate goal, or that stopping whatever it is Kyube requires Madoka's soul for is Black's objective.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaand now the Pimp and Whore comparison becomes more obvious. OH SNAP. Kinda saw this coming, but the real question is whether or not Kyube wanted this to happen as part of his goal. I'm guessing he did. Cuz being a satanic fiend is sorta his deal.

Is it beyond Kyube's power to turn Blue back into a regular girl because it is beyond his power to do this for Magical Girls, or because she just turned into a witch? The most horrifying thing about Kyube, though, is not that he ensnares little girls into a vicious death cycle. Not that he lies or deceives. Not that he intentionally misdirects.

The most horrifying thing is that he implies that he is not in charge. That there is someone other than him who set forth the rules of Magical Girls and Witches, and who has these answers that he does not. Kyube's vague hints toward being a middle man in a much, much larger machine are the most terrifying aspect of the show. Because if Kyube isn't running this, who is? Why? Can they be stopped? At what cost? What if Kyube is just a demon, doing demonic things, for someone who needs this legitimate evil dealt with? What if he was once like the girls, and became warped this way by working with someone even more abusive? Goodness knows Homura has already abandoned enough to make her seem as aloof and apathetic as Kyube at times.

HOLY FUCK OH MY GOD FULL OF BULLETS HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT HOLY FUCK THE BULLETS HAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHE JUST KEEPS SITTING NEXT TO THE BULLET HOLE RIDDEN CORPSE. OH MY GOD HAHAHAHAHA HOLY FUUUUUUUUHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

HE'S FUCKING EATING HIS BODY. OH MY GOD. IT'S LIKE THEY SAID "WHAT IS THE MOST FUCKED UP NOT SEXUAL THING THAT HE CAN DO HERE?" AND THE GUY IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM SAID "EAT HIS OWN CORPSE." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. HE'S EATING HIS OWN BODY.

She's from the future? That actually explains a fair amount. What if Black IS Pink? Also Incubator is an ominous sounding name. OH MY GOD. GRIEF SEEDS ARE WITCHES' SOUL GEMS. WHEN YOU SIPHON YOUR OWN CORRUPTION INTO ONE, YOU ARE FILLING A TORTURED SOUL WITH EVEN MORE ANGUISH AND GRIEF.

And the terrible confirmation that the life of a Magical Girl is the fate of She Who Fights Monsters.

Even more interesting revelagions to come Corvy kun!
Think you understand by now how different this show is from the typical mahou shoujo.
it takes the greatest happiness in torturing is characters, even moreso than mahou shoujo normally does. Its cruel, but its brilliant.
also yes this episode definitely ramped up the wtf factor.

cajunator

Banned
I feel like I was deliberately baited into exposing my ignorance yet again... it's not worth it to try to point things out anymore.

Dont worry about it. Life exposes my ignorance on a daily basis.

Happy Birthday wishes to /XX/!

¡Feliz cumpleaños!

Hopefully I got that right.

Thanks Nife!
Happy birthday /XX/ !

I'll second this. It's lame, especially if I'm on my phone and can't google the moon runes to see what it is you are talking about.

I feel the same way. Think of us non-moon speaking mobile users yall!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 149
Mad Pierrot in his pre-Precure days.

Shit got real.
Thankfully Fish Eye was cautious enough to have a pocket Chibiusa ready in case such an event happened.

Of course the new villains are not gonna wait for the old villains to give them information on who exactly is Sailor Moon. Happened with Jadeite, happened with the Amazon Trio now. Why are the villains always so incompetent?
At least they stopped the charade!

P.S. Thank you, Pegasus Jesus!

cajunator

Banned
I feel like I should watch Free! just so I can see how people are AnoHana'ing it.

Same here. Now Im curious to see how many similarities there are.

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! - 12 END

I have no words for the awesome contained within.

Also:

hDUewJk.jpg

KJXlAaK.jpg

Also it's hard to show people this show with images cause I would probably get banned over 1000 times.

ON TO THE OVAs

THIRTEEN DOLLARS AT BEST BUY.
I saw the cute cover and bought it. Little did I know...

The only reason why I told this on was because apparently enjoying Jojo was a crime, so I had to pay by watching this.... or rather it was a deal or whatever between two guys.

Sailor Moon 6

I was lied to. Someone told me that Ami was going to show up in either 5 or 6. Neither of those were right.

In the world of a grown up, they're not too different from little Usagi chan here.

For our famous guy, he was chased after a tape by a woman. I guess you can say she was.... Batshit Insane!

Although he makes one pick up line to a girl he likes towards the end, and gets married over night. How easy can he be man.

NEXT TIME, AMI WILL SHOW UP, MAYBE
Don't tell me when she'll show up, I want to find out for myself

Ill just tell you that characters take a good while to show up in Sailor moon. Precure this is not!

Wow I didn't know Hulu had so many good series.

Going to start Infinite Stratos and Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar

Uhmm....

Gatchaman Crowds 1

Anime has failed us.....

Just look at this shit....what is this power rangers? The Mc is so annoying what is she a 9 year old. I dunno if they are trying to make her cute or innocent but it just comes across as thick headed and a nuisance.

The animation was especially bad at the fights. So disappointed, god damn CG and just bad action. The OP give me hope but I've watched too many shounen to know that sequences in OP's are nearly always better animated and do not represent the actual show. ED song was nice.

I welcome our live action overlords for now:

gatchaman-movie.jpg

Episode X: Disney wanted more money

Gurren Lagann spoilers

Glad I'm not the only one who
thinks that this is similar to Gurren Lagann. But the funny thing is, while the Anti Spiral King and Kyubey claim that they want to save the universe, their problems are completely opposite of each other. The Anti Spiral King was worried about too much Spiral Energy causing the universe to collapse, while Kyubey is worried about there being no more energy left. So it would make them mortal enemies.

/XX/

Happy birthday, /XX/! I'd have mentioned it sooner but I've been mostly out of the thread all week.
Right on time you are, good sir. Today is the day and I just started it! Thanks.

Thanks Nife!
Happy birthday /XX/ !
Happy birthday /XX/
So it's /XX/ birthday ?

For you ( in norio wakamoto voice ) :
Thank you very much, my lovely pals...

And Mr. Wakamoto could even be insulting me badly with that voice and I would still love the way he does it! :-D

I feel the same way. Think of us non-moon speaking mobile users yall!
On Google's Android, using the stock browser (for example), you have to long-press any text on the screen to enter 'Text Selection' mode, with a menu for it that appears, and proceed to move the two sliders selecting what you want, to later use the 'Web Search' option present on said menu.

Why are there so many birthdays lately? Do people like humping in July? Summer boredom?
Oh, you just wait, there are more coming! Tomorrow is also the birthday of a fellow 'merengón' friend from here, but I think Nafe should be the first one bringing the good news.

In all seriousness, I dislike the characters, the character designs, the background art, the colour design and, well, everything. The animation is surprisingly poor too and the episode itself doesn't even look finished. Even though this is the first episode they appear to have run of out time to animate it all a la Attack on Titan during the scene in the G-base where the camera cuts to their feet for a good 30 seconds. It's just a mess.

It's true the animation is poor here and there, production wise it it does have a slight "unfinished" vibe.

duckroll

Gatchaman Crowds - Episode 1

As an introductory episode, it certainly feels very much like most Nakamura works - both the good and the bad. In this case I feel the only obvious flaw is that his protagonists are always introduced in an off-putting way where their negative quirks and how it affects their social interactions comes into the forefront before anything else. It's an effective way to channel the concept of how your perspective of a person changes the more you get to know them, but making the lead a turn off for the audience at the start can also be risky if they decide to stop watching it.

That aside though, I felt it was a very effectively executed start to the series. Let's get one thing out of the way - if anyone is expecting a normal Gatchaman reboot or just a modern update to the concept, throw those expectations away. This isn't going to be like that, and it was probably never intended to be. Instead what Nakamura is doing with the concept is using "Gatchaman" as an established and well known superhero franchise, and turning it on its head.

The lead character Hajime is a girl who doesn't have any pretensions and doesn't care for conventions or what people think of her. By placing her as a new member in a group with their own rules and legacy, it allows Nakamura to comment on societal norms and how people who think outside of that box can change dynamics very quickly. The embrace of social networking in both society and in the Gatchaman powers also allows the director to explore themes of how human interaction has changed and the question of whether we use these tools or if we're imprisoned by these tools.

I expect the narrative to pick up relatively quickly in the first few episodes, and they got all the exposition out of the way rather elegantly. I guess it's easy when the plot involves a new member in an organization though. The art is quirky and colorful, and I really dig the variety in backgrounds. The contrast between the Gatchaman HQ artwork and modern Japan is pretty great. It's true that some of the scenes felt unfinished and the there were some scenes which clearly had off-key animation and designs, but they didn't really detract from my enjoyment of it. The music fits the tone of the show really well, and gives the show an extra dash of kinetic energy.

Yeah, I really dug this, which was really the main reason I made the thread in the first place. I can understand that some people dislike the direction it's going for Gatchaman, but there's always the live action movie if you want something more traditional. The comparisons to [C] are kinda weird to me, since the show definitely doesn't look as ugly as that, and there's some solid direction in the action parts too. Not to mention, the 3DCG is much better integrated here than [C]. :p

-----

Side note: Did the scene where JJ approached Hajime remind anyone else of the Escaflowne movie? I got serious deja vu because it was so similar to how Folken approached Hitomi in the movie. There was just that foreboding dread mixed with how normal the surroundings were and yet how secluded it felt.

-----

Additional commentary via screens:

U8N1kkm.jpg
WJW5sBY.jpg

yxYU969.jpg
WWoQdAN.jpg

Like I mentioned above, I really like the contrast in the backgrounds, and the color design is really well balanced.

hCyfwqn.jpg
rEgImyF.jpg

UBdgnMm.jpg
7J7GO3u.jpg

wvOkBU6.jpg

I like how they show what to expect from Hajime's suit powers by showing what goes on in her mind during the transformation process. It highlights her personal interests in art and design, and I'm sure her artistic creativity will become a major component of her special powers as the show progresses.

phXxFck.jpg

I suck at gifs, so I can't really make a full gif of this moment, but I loved the layout and execution of this shot. There's a nice top down view showing the elevation from which they're falling from, but it has walls positioned such that the camera work naturally guides the viewer to understand how Sugane's suit uses boots which can magnetize on any surface. I would his mobility pretty exciting to watch.

Please post comments and replies here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621476

Gatchaman Crowds Episode 1

Pretty weak start. I think they made a baffling choice of character personality to give to the lead character as litrally every time Hajime was on screen it came across as annoying and just way too out there in terms of the subject matter, personality, and cast dynamics. Just how many times does Hajime need to say Kawaii during the episode? Worst yet, why so excited and hyperactive and everything, calm down or something as it was just way unnecessary and made things dull pretty fast...until - please give more screentime fast, need immediately. Gatcha, Gatcha indeed.

Sugane as the Origami Cyclone alternate universe take on things is fantastic and easily has good suit, abilities, personality, and abilities. Probably will stick around for more and if he has some pretty large scale hi ougi.
tumblr_mpuhbjwbMO1r60zuio2_250.gif
tumblr_mpuhbjwbMO1r60zuio1_250.gif
tumblr_mpuhbjwbMO1r60zuio3_r1_250.gif

Music is fantastic...when the Gatchaman chorus isnt playing, it sounds so awkward within the context of the musics direction and instruments.

Dynedom

Gargantia - 07-08

Woah, lots of things happening. Finally seeing the clash of Ledo's new life vs old. The way things spiral is pretty insane but so cohesive. There's a fluidity to it that you can't believe it happened so coherently over 2 episodes. Great writing.

Pinion is an interesting character with his backhanded encouragement.
It's clear he has some noble cause in his mind to salvage in the Whalesquid territory but he's clearly taking advantage of Ledo to do it. He's walking a fine line towards being an asshole. Even the way he confronts Ridget makes him come across as a dick. Let's see where his character arc goes

What
Amy ends up doing
over the next few episodes should be interesting and the reveal of what the
treasure in the territory is
better be worth it.

On a side note within the mythos/culture of the show,
Fairlock's funeral is very touching. The way every single person on this ship adds sand to his grave is a great symbolic gesture. I didn't even hit me that the purpose of the sand itself was to make his funeral boat sink. Just an overall nice touch.
. The symbolism of
Ridget finally coming to terms with her position and allowing him to move on, as symbolized with her finally adding sand to his boat
was very well done.

cajunator

Banned
[Gatchaman Crowds] - 1

Why didn't we head the warning signs?

c-06-large05gos10.jpg

gcxpsa1.jpg

It should have been obvious that this was doing to be garbage!

In all seriousness, I dislike the characters, the character designs, the background art, the colour design and, well, everything. The animation is surprisingly poor too and the episode itself doesn't even look finished. Even though this is the first episode they appear to have run of out time to animate it all a la Attack on Titan during the scene in the G-base where the camera cuts to their feet for a good 30 seconds. It's just a mess.

Dropped like a Colony.

She looks more like the reason I AM watching it XD

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! OVAs

UCmug6S.jpg
t1eZEW7.jpg

So, because I literally can not post 90% of screens from this, i'm going to go take a cold shower/sleep and my impressions were basically:

BUBv9My.gif

Heehee!
Juden chan is so borderline hentai. Google image search not recommended at work!

• Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory 01
I don't know why I'm choosing to watch this show over anything else. But here I am.

not even 10 seconds in and we're treated to more cleavage than Date A Live.
Okay maybe not

jiggle physics. Now you know this is about a video game. This show is doubly awkward to watch right now because I have a guest I'm sharing my room with who I don't know and they're watching me watch these girls and boobs gahhhh

Hahahaha a blatant public service announcement. Perfect.
jfGtkNn.png

Not feeling it for this OP.

Behold, the power of the Market Share.

Uncle Ben, may he rest in peace.
2w65o6C.png

Aww Nepgear. Cute stuff. ROM and RAM? Could you be any more blatant?
She moved like 3 inches. Whyyyy the jiggle physics

Literally all that's happened so far is people clicking on their computers Skyping each other. :mad:

TRANSFORMATION TRANSFORMATION TRANSFORMAAAATION

Aww yiss action and J-pop fight music. Monster of the week: Dog-slimes. hehe okay whatever. My mind is so turned off right now.

THIS IS SO LEWD WORSE THAN SWORD ART ONLINE TENTACLES

And now headbutt to the boobs attack.

AND THE LEWDNESS STRIKES BACK

Considering dropping this show. It's pretty unintelligible having not played the games myself. I'm only watching now because I loved Date A Live so.

Sounds good to me!

Oh man, CPUs in formal wear? Gimmie. Neptune's outfit is actually straight from one of the artbooks, which is a nice touch:

I...I need these artbooks...
where might I find them?

sonicmj1

Gatchaman Crowds 1

I'm not sure how I feel about this show right now.

I get where people are coming from. I get that some people say it's disjointed. It's not as visually pleasing as Tsuritama was for sure, either. And Hajime is pretty damn annoying right now with how she finds absolutely everything super fucking kawaii.

But I believe in Nakamura, and whenever that "Gatchamaaaaan!" chorus kicks in my heart melts into a happy puddle.

Don't let me down.

Railgun S - 14

Woah they sure tooçk their sweet time to reach this point ..not that i mind that they did adapt this arc , i feel like they could have reached this point much sooner if they tried to.

Still this was an okay episode at the start and i'm happy that we finally are at the climax!

Gatchaman Crowds - Episode 1

. The embrace of social networking in both society and in the Gatchaman powers also allows the director to explore themes of how human interaction has changed and the question of whether we use these tools or if we're imprisoned by these tools.

This is an interesting point, I read somewhere taht yeah, the story will touch the new quick style of life with the social networking. But I didn't notice the very own Gatchmans have also here a social network: the notebooks which can be used a a only for the group, analogous Facebook.

Oofuri 17

Id go to a baseball game just to hear the live cheering squad band play the song from Space Battleship Yamato live. That song oddly fits with the baseball for some reason, or maybe its just well known in JPN, really hyped everything up.
Mihashi stepping forward to throw and defend home, and how he kept looknig to third, lol.

Westlo

happy b-day /XX/

Since you people always seem eager to look ahead to the future:

Def:

KILL la KILL
Kuroko's Basketball S2
Galilei Donna
Golden Time
Not Enough Charles 2 (Charles <3)
Coppelion

Probably:

Female pro wrestler one.
Samurai Flamenco
Yozakura Quartet
BlazBlue

Need based Bones Space Dandy, KyoGods Kyoukai no Kanata and ufotable's fate whatever the fuck it is to get added to this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom