• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gatchaman Crowds] 01
h0yZfpO.jpg
The most honest compliment I can give to this show is that it made me appreciate just how much better the CGI looks compared to the hand-drawn animation. The action wasn't mind-blowing, but I ended up wishing there was more of that due to lowered expectations. #DuckrollWon

Unlike other people I didn't find Hajime annoying, but rather adorably obnoxious, if that makes sense. It did lead up to some interesting contrasts: I was amused by how the show treated the GATCHANOTEs and their users in much the same way you see kids today with smartphones. Hajime's upbeat and in-your-face attitude served to highlight the detachment going on. It does feel kinda weird that the girl with fewer clothes ended up being less sexualised than her, though.

I didn't hate it? It was a disappointment considering the hype, nonetheless. It fell flat on most of the jokes and
IeSjw.gif
were prevalent, but it didn't bore me out of my mind like the first episode of Tsuritama, at least.

cnet128

Banned
I think I must be the only person who hasn't said it yet, but: Happy birthday /XX/!

Million dollar question. What kind of hair disease is this.

At least the OP song are pretty awesome.

Magical-Awesome-Hair-itis. <3

It's gorgeous, like everything about Hajime. Except the excessive :chet.

Dangan ronpa - 02

First the opening song doesn't work, they should have either left it intact from the game or do something else entirely.

They did also change some lights events , and thus reduced the character interraction ( that are what drive the game ) The plot is important but how the characters react is as much important as the rest and while what they changed was minor it just reduce the exposition the viewer have on those characters.
I fear that in the long run it 'll reduce the impact we have if they cut FREE TIME & change light events to gain speed.

It feel almost like if the anime was for gameplayers (people who have already played the game ) because it doesn't do a great job managing the characters so far.

Danganronpa_The_Animation_-_02.jpg

DOESNT MAKE SENSE .... that's what you get by trying to cut corners , a one sentence justification doesn't explain the hole you've created yourself!

The most stupid part of this adaptation is that the impact of this first chapter will be lost

Now , aside from the opening song , they kept the songs from the game ost ...i like that

and they aren't even ashamed of using game assets in the anime , lol

fertygo

Gatchaman Crowds - 01

Yeah this is pretty weird show.. my biggest problem is the chara design.. they ugly as sin, like have every kind of disease flocking them. What I like though.. its the OST, somehow they make the last scene so hype just with the sound. The story also not offensively dumb like C (yet?)

Maybe I like this? just wish the character looks not that nausea-inducing.

Westlo

Gatchaman Crowds - 01

Yeah this is pretty weird show.. my biggest problem is the chara design.. they ugly as sin, like have every kind of disease flocking them. What I like though.. its the OST, somehow they make the last scene so hype just with the sound. The story also not offensively dumb like C (yet?)

Is Iwasaki back? Wonder if he'll get the KILL La KILL gig.

Gatchaman Crowds 01

Decided to watch this on a whim. I've never had any experience with the Gatchaman franchise before. The suit designs look a lot better in motion, I'm interested in seeing where this series will go.

Gatchaman Crowds - 01

Yup put me in the same group. That character designs are baaad and the transformations are even worse.....I mean what kind of abomination is this:

Gatchaman-Crowds-02.png

Theonik

Rocket Girls 05-12 END
Well this was certainly a thing, between the dialogue and developments of these final episode I couldn't help but laugh while at times the whole thing felt awfully contrived to serve its premise, in a way that even Strike Witches seems to be a pure show. I suppose that is mostly because the SW universe is built around this rather than trying to work it into the real world. The ending was especially weird
OK so they shouldn't survive that, they don't tell us what happened either and they just leave it at that? Some Deus Ex Machina hijinks at play there. The whole sequence of events was ridiculous too. "OMG we need a PEN I LOST MY PEN!" Made me lose it
Nevertheless there was some enjoyment to be had in it, warts and all. (my eyes hurt from a lot of it though eurgh)

If you like girls in skin-tight astronaut outfits being cute while we insert pointless drama and butts I'd definitely give this a thumbs up if you can stomach the bad CG and occasional :wonzo.

Jarmel

Banned
Nihongos who saw the FSN Ufotable PV said it was Heaven's Feel, so I suppose this will be a straight up Heaven's Feel adaption. Please come soon.

Ugh Sakura. Well better than the Fate route I guess.

Edit: Where did you see people saying it was HF? I can't confirm that anywhere.

Neptunia The animation - 01

This isn't a bad way to start a serie neptunia , even if they did with a complete cast and what it seems to be a new storyline.
I don't really mind since the serious part of neptunia is without a doubt it's weakest part .

So right now i should expect a goofy set of episodes with a big ennemy at the end .

Theonik

Neptunia The animation - 01

This isn't a bad way to start a serie neptunia , even if they did with a complete cast and what it seems to be a new storyline.

I don't really mind since the serious part of neptunia is without a doubt it's weakest part .

So right now i should expect a goofy set of episodes with a big ennemy at the end .

That looks like an offscreen shot. Please tell me that's an off-screen shot...

/XX/

Happy Birthday /XX/!
Happy Bday /XX/. Best Anime Gaf user by mile just because you like football. Have a good one!
Happy birthday XX!
happy b-day /XX/
I think I must be the only person who hasn't said it yet, but: Happy birthday /XX/!
You lovely, lovely people! Thank you.
And here I thought that Real Madrid C.F. supporters were kind of hated anywhere. :p

cajunator

Banned

Episode X: Disney wanted more money

EDIT: THIS IS ACTUALLY EPISODE 9. I AM SORRY.

WHEN LAST WE SAW THE REBEL ALLIANCE THIS JOKE IS TOO OLD TO CONTINUE

There is no way this show ends happily, is there? I mean the adversary is Satan, and unless Black has been sent by God, I'm guessing in this universe the Heavens basically don't care that Satan is luring little girls into a horrible death game. And if that is the case, this just doesn't end happily. Blue is just flat out gonna die, and Red probably will, too. At which point Black will be in mortal peril and bookends to the first episode.

Bitch I did NOT say you could come in my room. Satan is so impolite. "OH YEAH SO WE TURN YOU INTO MAGICAL GIRLS AND THEN WITCHES BUT IT IS FOR A LEGITIMATE REASON. Yeah right. You know who else was doing it all for a totally legit reason? The Eleven Sol Masters of GaoGaiGar Final, and they were still evil. Master Asia, when he teamed up with the Devil and-

OH MY GOD.

MASTER ASIA IS A PUELLA MAGI. WWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

IT MAKES SENSE. He has the signature weapon (his sash) and he has the magical powers (dances on laser beams and blows stuff up by telling it to do so and that MUSTACHE).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GET IT OUT OF MY BRAAAAAAIN.

Wait, though, is Kyube actually an alien? Or is this just another one of his lies? Because "Sufficiently advanced tech/mech/alien indistinguishable from God/Magic: wasn't really the explanation I was expecting or needing. It must be a lie, because ten seconds' thought rips a hole in it: How does an alien species incapable of emotions and understanding them (as Kyube seems to not understand the emotions of the girls) possibly develop technology that converts emotions into energy?

And what happens if Kyube's people run into the Gurren Lagann?

Oh so basically The Spiral Problem justifies your doing this to humanity? Without their consent? No, no it does not. You're treating a sentient race as if it were cattle, Kyube. Last time I checked, that made you kind of sort of a monster. Saving the universe does not justify what you have done. If you needed energy, you should've contacted a race that was aware of this problem. Not slaughtered those who had no clue.

Oh yes, the GIRLS consent. But they do so 1)Without being told what this game is you're throwing them into 2)That they must inevitably become Witches 3)after being lured in with promises of wishes granted 4)without any knowledge of the rules of this game and 5) often times under duress, which you have attempted on Madoka NUMEROUS times.

You can say that your race doesn't feel emotion, Kyube, but even assuming that were true (and let's be honest, with a liar like you it flat out is not), I'd have hoped they weren't stupid. Deceiving girls into this is not the equivalent of them freely consenting because they don't know what it is they are allegedly "consenting" to. You don't have to feel to realize that a choice made without full knowledge is not the same as a choice made with it, and indeed, I should think that for an asentimental hellspawn like you, the worth of information in the decision making process should be apparent, given how you could not comprehend emotionally made decisions.

Of course since you not being able to feel or understand emotions is bullshit since you've done an excellent job of manipulating them thus far, one can only assume you're bullshitting right this very instant. You fucking weasel.

"We can't understand what it means to trick." UH. REALLY? HOW FUCKING DUMB IS YOUR RACE SUPPOSED TO BE. THIS IS FIRST GRADE. "Do you want A or B, Kyube? A grants your wishes, B doesn't." "Okay then I want A." "Okay A cost you your soul, too. The end." See? No emotion, just information.

Evasive, lying, weasley bastard. You know who he reminds me of? The Anti Spiral Life Form. Prattles on and on and on about how this is for the good of everyone but never asks anyone if it is what they want. Hey buddy, you should ask this guy named Char Aznable how well that worked out for him when he started dropping meteors onto the Earth.

Red turned out to be a stand up gal after all. Finding out she'd been lied to by the Devil probably influenced that. This still isn't going to end up well, though.

Like I said, I didn't foresee this ending happily. Also, lest someone tells me "Kyube never lies, he only [insert basically lying here], allow me to point out that in this episode Kyube very specifically tells Kyoko "I don't know/there is no known way to turn Sayaka back into a Magical Girl." But then he turns around and tells Homura "It's obviously impossible to turn a Magical Girl back once she's become a Witch." Which means that the first "I don't know a way" and the second "There is no way" contradict, or, in other words, Kyube lied. There is NO weaseling out of that.

Not as OMG as last episode, but a lot of wishing I could ruin that cabbit.

Like pawns on a chessboard

Kurita

Gekiryuu ~ Watashi o Oboeteimasuka? 1
Five former middle school classmates receive an email from a girl who was their classmate, but disappeared on a school trip 20 years ago. The email causes the five former classmates to meet once again.
35-year-old Keiko Misumi (Rena Tanaka) used to work at a publishing company, but suddenly was fired from her job. Takako Kawano (Ryoko Kuninaka) was very popular with the boys in middle school. She is now a housewife, but works as a prostitute on the side. Miya Akiyoshi (Rie Tomosaka) hoped to become a musician, but failed. Koji Higashihagi (Kenta Kiritani) now works as a detective. Yutaka Sabashima (Koji Yamamoto) works at a bank and is divorced.
These five former classmates now become involved in a strange case.

Man, why do NHK dramas always look so fucking cheap? (even by Japanese standards)
Anyway, I still liked that first episode, it has a solid cast imo, I still love Kenta Kiritani and Ryoko Kuninaka.
The premise is pretty interesting and I'm liking the "creepy" parts when they all received the message. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episodes.

Lewd

Series 1 Is an interesting experience. How much about sailor moon do you actually know?

I have recollections as I go, although for the most part, a Blonde love interest, and several of these episodes feel new to me, either because I never watched them or they were skipped in the Toonami airing back in the days. Interestingly enough, I already knew who Chibiusa was since she was on Toonami at the time
also because back in the days when I first had internet, I found.... interesting things.

Ill just tell you that characters take a good while to show up in Sailor moon. Precure this is not!

OH well... I guess unlike Precure, each season is actually a continuation, so it's easier to introduce other characters at a later time because you can develop them over the course of the series, unlike Precure where you do it right off the bat, and chances are, you'll add another Cure to the mix to develop them (before and/or after they're a Cure)

But Ami in the early episodes is lame, why do you wanna meet her?

Why not?

Defuser

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 14

Dear J.C.Staff...... why are you letting Hiroshi Nishikiori and Masanao Akahoshi do Index III and not Tatsuyuki Nagai and Seishi Minakami? These two are proven more than enough they can tackle the darkside of Index and probably better than what Hiroshi Nishikiori can do.

Although this episode is a remake of Index 1 but it's BLOODY AWESOME!! due to it being very drama, emotional and touching thanks to Nagai's strong directing. Not mention it heavily induces a strong Touma x Mikoto vibe.

4kdWQFS.jpg

9q0JtRG.jpg

fvWebRs.jpg

HELL YEAH!! Next week is a Touma vs Accelerator fight remake I can assure you it's ten times better than Index 1 fight. SO WATCH NEXT WEEK!!!!

duckroll

http://www.st-trigger.co.jp/news/20130713.html

The Little Witch Academia blu-ray will be released in August. The price is 6000yen (probably 60 USD), and will include the blu-ray with 7 subtitle languages, audio track in 5.1 and stereo, the 66 minute Making of feature with English subtitles, the complete soundtrack CD, and a 112 page artbook which includes commentary by Yoshinari, design materials, selected key animation frames and storyboard portions, and the original first draft script.

Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation 1

YanBL5W.jpg

Happiness is simple. Playing games in awkward position on big fluffy pillow, Neptune knows happiness.

I think the anime captures the spirit of the game quite well. Thanks to the director which happen to be a quite hardcore Neptunia fans, i guess. There's many references to the games that the old fans will appreciate (MAGES, Rei, Ryusei no Bitfrost, etc), while newcomer ... can enjoy the dogoo rape scene and boobs. Not a bad way to start at all.

Theonik

The Little Witch Academia blu-ray will be released in August. The price is 6000yen (probably 60 USD), and will include the blu-ray with 7 subtitle languages, audio track in 5.1 and stereo, the 66 minute Making of feature with English subtitles, the complete soundtrack CD, and a 112 page artbook which includes commentary by Yoshinari, design materials, selected key animation frames and storyboard portions, and the original first draft script.
What about the US release? Any news on where to grab that?

Westlo

Symphogear A's 02

Like a boss, Signum Maria looks like a good addition, I'll ship her with Tsubasa, where dem doujins at, don't let me down Japan.

Hoping Miyukichi's character comes back somehow, instead of this wack ass doctor guy being a main villain.

Also rankings.

Chris > Tsubasa > Maria > Hibiki
Tsubasa & Maria duet song > Tsubasa & Kanade duet
S1's character songs > S2's character songs.

Cwarrior

Gatchaman Crowds

Just what I expected from Nakamura-san, this is in line with his two other works I've seen from him (C & tsuritama)

-characters are near tsuritama levels of annoying
-the flat ugly environment reminiscent of C and tsuritama but closer to C colour palette then tsuritama primary colours
-ugly character art and design compared to True gatchaman
-worst laziest design has to be the enemy design there just a bunch of faceless square coloured shapes that are CG.

It's very much a mix of trsuritama(character behavior type,in school moments) and C(outdoor shounen d to F- tier moments).

If I had to pick out his works, I would say so far this is better then tsuritama which was boring & annoying as hell and it looks slightly better then C at least.

Vecks

Gatchaman Crowds 1

Not sure what to think yet. Maybe my expectations were to high, but I feel let down. I enjoyed it, but I really don't like the point at which the episode ended.

Jarmel

Banned

Well damn. That's a good deal.

Is raw egg over rice that good?

Hunger is the best spice.

Defuser

Just a slight nitpick on how the Gatchaman henshin is half done.

MJKplK8.png

They bothered to do the bottom rune being behind her legs to make it look like she is in the middle while they didn't do the same for the top rune so it looks like the top rune is in front of her instead of the middle.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yup put me in the same group. That character designs are baaad and the transformations are even worse.....I mean what kind of abomination is this:
My problem with Crowds transformation sequences were that they emphasize the divide between the 2D and the CG. You get drawn into the other worldy stuff that works for the show, but then it just flashes back out and nothing has changed, so they do a really lame screen wipe kind of thing where the character just instantly transforms in front of you.

Looking back at the show reminded me of just how bad they opening action sequence is. The Gatchaman and the enemy are never even on the screen at the same time, have almost no interaction between one another, and then the main guy just suddenly is not a Gatchaman anymore.

duckroll

Well, I super-underestimated my price guess on that one. Will have to see what the eventual release international release date/price is -- I mean, Funimation is getting away with selling the GITS Arise import BD at only $42 on Right Stuf (albeit one month after the JP release and in limited quantites).

Does it include a soundtrack and a 112 page book though?

Articalys

Does it include a soundtrack and a 112 page book though?
No, but it did start at an even higher MSRP and isn't being sold only at Comiket to start -- well, anyway, this is a new venture for everyone, even Trigger, so I guess they will probably price it equally across the board. Whatever.

Like usual I tried to say something smart and ended up sounding dumb instead. Really need to learn to shut myself up and not try to comment on everything.

Kiniro Mosaic 2
This show is going to give me a heart attack. I was pleasantly surprised with this, even the humor was pretty good. It's more of a sketch comedy show than I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom