• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

In T___________T news, I was vaguely hoping to get through most if not all of my eight Saturday anime episodes (plus Servant x Service makes nine) this evening, but thanks to this crazy murderer argument I've only watched three and now it's quarter past eight in the morning >.>

Do you work nights normally? You've mentioned the crazy hours you keep before to watch anime, and I don't know how you do it...

cajunator

Banned
Monogatari Season 2 - 02

lkaidskilo'adsh'kfa'pki;df'
;piasd'adsdsaf'ad'pihds'pioai'kilhfsdahklhfkla;ld;ahdih;l;khd
asdfhsa'dfsdsf'as
dfaBASED SHAFT PRESERVING THE GARDEN! OTP! OTP! OTP! YATTA!

I love you dude. You have such enthusiasm and passion for this stuff.

Golden Boy 1-3

Kintaro is the cruelest one of them all. Also:

ibcggReGPhL3Sc.png

dohohohohoho

Why on earth didnt you watch this earlier?

Trying to decide what to marathon next.

Accel World
Maou-sama
K
Gargantia
Girls und Panzer
Gundam AGE

Accel World or Girls und Panzer.
actually....both.

iavi

I didn't make it quite clear in the post so I'll elaborate more. I don't think every line of dialogue needs to advance the character's development. Otherwise, what's the point of great flat characters? Dialogue needs to reveal more insight about the character as we get to know them. However, in the monogatari I feel like a good chunk of it is just random conversations that doesn't really delve deep into how they are. Rather it's just a person's particular approach and dialectical mannerisms that are portrayed. In that sense we're learning more about that character but it's really shallow at best.

I agree with you, but also think that those rambles are good and dandy with a tad bit of restraint, for the sake of the bigger picture. Sometimes, and if it fits within context, it's fun to just see the characters be characters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl 9

Well that's an interesting way to introduce a new (hopefully recurring) character. Really hope they don't forget about Kiyomi in future episodes. It's nice to see Squid Girl get a real friend, too. :D

EDIT: Oh my god

wMVPKoQ.png

CHU

cnet128

Banned
Do you work nights normally? You've mentioned the crazy hours you keep before to watch anime, and I don't know how you do it...

Nah, I just...timeshift my sleep at the weekends because I like having long evenings of watching stuff.

During the week I generally go to sleep around 1:30 AM (well, I aim for 1:30) and wake up at 8:30 in order to get to work for 10 AM. But on Friday/Saturday evening I drink delicious energy drinks, stay up stupidly late and then wake up sometime the following afternoon. Then I go to bed around 2 AM on Sunday evening so I can wake up at the usual 8:30 on Monday. Rinse and repeat.

Nah, I just...timeshift my sleep at the weekends because I like having long evenings of watching stuff.

During the week I generally go to sleep around 1:30 AM (well, I aim for 1:30) and wake up at 8:30 in order to get to work for 10 AM. But on Friday/Saturday evening I drink delicious energy drinks, stay up stupidly late and then wake up sometime the following afternoon. Then I go to bed around 2 AM on Sunday evening so I can wake up at the usual 8:30 on Monday. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't sound healthy at all.

iavi

Animugaf, today I realized I don't really care for Nakamura. His stuff is noticeable in the way that a lot of marketed auteur's stuff is, but the only thing I notice is just how much none of it stands out; He doesn't have the heavy-handed messages of Yuasa (--preemptive "hohoo bad anyway". fuck that. I've actually begun to think that there's some merit to that approach, if only for accessibility.), the visual tour-de-force of Imaishi, or the subtlety of Hosada or Watanabe.

All his shit just kinda sucks. C was bad. Trapeze was bad. Tsuritama was bad. And this episode of Gatchaman was bad.

cajunator

Banned
Also, now that I've actually seen Pacific Rim once normally, I can also join the comments from before that I really want a chance to see the Japanese dub too, because that is one hell of a cast.

Im jelly. I wanna see it! Maybe while Im in DC I can catch a viewing.

Well... you can never have too many moe vegetable girls, I guess.

I hnnnnged. Then I ate my vegetables.

The guy who is doing the japanese VA is doing a ridiculously good job.

Regardless, go for dub with Goldenboy. ALWAYS.

Is Golden Boy a "list" show?

And can I see the list again, so I can plan my next list show now that I've finished Glass Fleet?

Also I've had a craving for yuri romance lately. Recommendations?

No its not a list show. Its way too good, in the good way. Also Aoi Hana is a good yuri romance.

Holy shit at the dub. That might be too much.

The beast. THE BEAST!

See? Screw the subs. Goldenboy MUST be seen dubbed. No exceptions.

Soma

Summer Season First Impressions

Monogatari Series Second Season
Still the same voyeuristic, head-tilting, dialogue heavy monogatari show I know and love. As one of the only 3 or 4 Hanekawa fans on earth, the recent focus on her has been much appreciated. I guess it helps that I genuinely find her story and the dynamic between her and Black Hanekawa pretty compelling. The lack of Araragi thus far has given the second season an interesting touch and I'm curious to see where both narratives (his and Hanekawa's) lead to.

Uchouten Kazoku
Probably the most visually pleasing show of the season despite the character designs... which I could take or leave for the most part. I dunno, I never really felt like character designs are Kumeta's strong suit but whatevs. However, I really do love the color pallete in this show and background artwork and it complements the characters and their interactions between each other wonderfully. Reminds me a lot of tsuritama's background work. I'm not sure what exactly the overall plot is so far but the characters introduced so far seem interesting and unique in their own way.

Love Lab
As much as I tried to go out of my way to find things to nitpick in this show, when it comes down to it this is just a really well-made show going by the first episode. All that lovely hand-drawn animation is wonderfully done and the chemistry between both main characters is so great. Maki might quite possibly be my new favorite character from this season. So many gif-worthy moment from her in just a single episode.

C3-bu
The second episode was a bit of a disappointment as far as the mock battles go but the introduction of Sawashiro's character was a plus. There's something really charming about the main cast that I find it hard to want to drop the show despite it being lackluster by many accounts. That and being a slight gun-nerd helps a bit. The OST however continues to be great and I'm slowly warming up to the newcomer seiyuu of Rento.

Silver Spoon
Something about the pacing of the first episode seemed really off but this (more or less) seems to be a really solid adaption so far. Already being a big fan of the manga certainly helps my enjoyment of the show but I really do hope people stick around to see the really charming cast of characters and Hachiken's very notable character development as the story goes on.

Gatchaman Crowds
Overall a really fun first episode but definitely isn't as strong as it could be coming from Nakamura. However, I remember tsuritama having a bit of a slow start and that ended up developing into an amazing show by the end. So I have faith that the show will hold up to the end and at the very least, this show seems like it'll have a great OST.

Danganronpa
Something really ugly and half-assed about this adaption. The plot seems interesting despite it seeming like yet another Battle Royake thing but I think i'll just play the game instead at some point.

still interested in watching:
Blood Lad
Watamote
Fate/llya (maaaaaayyyyybeeee)

Dresden

Animugaf, today I realized I don't really care for Nakamura. His stuff is noticeable in the way that a lot of marketed auteur's stuff is, but the only thing I notice is just how much none of it stands out; He doesn't have the heavy-handed messages of Yuasa (--preemptive "hohoo bad anyway". fuck that. I've actually begun to think that there's some merit to that approach, if only for accessibility.), the visual tour-de-force of Imaishi, or the subtlety of Hosada or Watanabe.

All his shit just kinda sucks. C was bad. Trapeze was bad. Tsuritama was bad. And this episode of Gatchaman was bad.

Dude, Mononoke is like, one of the most visually striking anime ever made.

iavi

tbh, it's been too long since watching to really articulate why I think they're bad, but the negative impression is still there.

Dude, Mononoke is like, one of the most visually striking anime ever made.

It is, you're right. It's also really good, but the residual love that left in my heart for Nakamura has worn out. I'm honestly thinking it was a fluke.

LordCanti

Summer Season First Impressions
Monogatari Series Second Season
Still the same voyeuristic, head-tilting, dialogue heavy monogatari show I know and love. As one of the only 3 or 4 Hanekawa fans on earth, the recent focus on her has been much appreciated. I guess it helps that I genuinely find her story and the dynamic between her and Black Hanekawa pretty compelling. The lack of Araragi thus far has given the second season an interesting touch and I'm curious to see where both narratives (his and Hanekawa's) lead to.

I'm a fan. Not shipping her and Araragi, but still, I don't get the hate.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I literally don't understand the point of your comparison. Film/tv directors =/= video games.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey, I can feed a million by having them eat a hundred thousand. The numbers don't lie.

Humans are inefficient to cultivate as a food source!

The intent is horrible. The act is horrible. The person is horrible. I'm not denying that. However, if a murder goes out and saves a kitten that's stuck in a tree does that make him terrible person? I think it's easy to associate one person with a single action or attribute. A person is made up of more than a single action and a mere moment. Having said that, Kayaba Akihiko is a scumbag for doing that.

Also, I never said the end justifies the means. Simply that just because someone does something monstrously bad it automatically means he/she is unable to do good.

Conversely, doing a good act doesn't suddenly make an evil person not evil.

People are typically not defined by the very worst thing they've ever done in their lives, but it's not being selectively judgmental if that worst thing just happens to be singularly atrocious on a moral scale because their very existence is an affront to justice at that point. History tends most to remember people that made lots of other people die.

BluWacky

How did you feel about Bakeneko/Mononoke?

I'm inclined to agree, if I'm honest, although not necessarily for the same reasons. I admire Nakamura's taste in projects and he clearly has some clever ideas (the distinctive look of Tsuritama, where the background is coloured in exactly the same way as the foreground, is particularly striking), but he has a tendency to indulge in a kind of "exaggeration" that I don't really care for.

It's not the same as Imaishi's helter-skelter manic style (I'm not really a huge fan of most of Imaishi's work, either, if I'm honest) - I just feel as if everything ends up being "too much". The characters of Haru in Tsuritama or Hajime in Gatchaman, for instance, push their schtick from mildly endearing into annoying fairly quickly (although part of that is the voice acting...). The Medicine Seller shows are visual tour-de-forces but frequently massively indulgent in the manner of the worst kabuki cliches etc. etc.

Maybe it's not fair for me to judge as I've never made it the whole way through a Nakamura show - I usually give up after an episode or two as I don't find his work to my taste. Plus I tend to like Yuasa's stuff, which may make my opinion invalid anyway...

cajunator

Banned
I feel like I should watch Sword Art Online just so that I can form my own opinion of it, but I really don't have the where-with--all to. Too much other stuff.

No. Stay the fuck away SyrinX. For your own good. Theres nothing worthy of seeing in it. At all.

NOOOOOOOOO.

FUCKING GODDAMNIT FUCK THAT MISERABLE LIFE RUINING PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT SHOW SO FUCKING HARD. FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT AND ITS CREATION AND FUCK THE MISERY IT CAUSES

iavi

I literally don't understand the point of your comparison. Film/tv directors =/= video games.

directorial trait =directorial trait

Unless there's some facet that I really don't understand. I'm saying that the others are consistent with their particular id, and that Nakamura doesn't match up in any particular area.

How did you feel about Bakeneko/Mononoke?

I'm inclined to agree, if I'm honest, although not necessarily for the same reasons. I admire Nakamura's taste in projects and he clearly has some clever ideas (the distinctive look of Tsuritama, where the background is coloured in exactly the same way as the foreground, is particularly striking), but he has a tendency to indulge in a kind of "exaggeration" that I don't really care for.

It's not the same as Imaishi's helter-skelter manic style (I'm not really a huge fan of most of Imaishi's work, either, if I'm honest) - I just feel as if everything ends up being "too much". The characters of Haru in Tsuritama or Hajime in Gatchaman, for instance, push their schtick from mildly endearing into annoying fairly quickly (although part of that is the voice acting...). The Medicine Seller shows are visual tour-de-forces but frequently massively indulgent in the manner of the worst kabuki cliches etc. etc.

Maybe it's not fair for me to judge as I've never made it the whole way through a Nakamura show - I usually give up after an episode or two as I don't find his work to my taste. Plus I tend to like Yuasa's stuff, which may make my opinion invalid anyway...

I really enjoyed Mononoke. I felt it to be the polar opposite of all that I'm saying, nailing most of the bits I mentioned with ease. But he hasn't been able to repeat that since, imo. At all.

Danganronpa 02

Will these episodes get progressively faster as time goes on? This episode felt more rushed than the previous one. I haven't even been given a reason why I should care about the mystery or these characters, but hey, at least the pink looks great.

I'll continue watching this show because I'm a sucker for murder mysteries. If the mystery isn't good, the murder better be brutal. It's why I enjoyed Another...also Another should really include a survivor count.

Jex

The conversations took place at school, and it's understandable that they'd re-use already made backgrounds since it's the same school. Having said that, they could have had them talk somewhere else for the sake of variety for sure. I guess that's what happens when you've got a TV budget instead of an OVA budget. Things get a bit jankier in episode 02 with some shots that didn't seem to live up to previously set standards (long shots with misdrawn characters for instance) but it's kind of understandable considering that
not a whole lot happened in the episode
. If they're saving their budget for other things (beyond them sitting, eating, etc, with only *episode 2 spoiler*
Black Hanekawa's bits having any real action
) I'm okay with it. They do need to keep in mind that they're going to be charging hundreds of dollars for this thing on Blu-Ray though.

But it's not like the background art is good enough to warrant a re-use. Or good enough to be even used once. It's distressingly flat, simple and lifeless. It looks like it was drawn in about 10 minutes. They're not even using a new angle. You'll see shots in Hyouka (to use an extreme example) where it's the same location shot from about 10 different angles in a single scene.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Conversely, doing a good act doesn't suddenly make an evil person not evil.

People are typically not defined by the very worst thing they've ever done in their lives, but it's not being selectively judgmental if that worst thing just happens to be singularly atrocious on a moral scale because their very existence is an affront to justice at that point. History tends most to remember people that made lots of other people die.

You're very right. The opposite is also true and I didn't neglect that. I'm sure Kayaba Akihiko will be remembered for being the atrocious shit that he is. However, perhaps it's interesting that the audience and Asuna and Kirito got to see a side that of him that not many people were aware of. Yes, he's still a garbage person but those two were able to gleam more than the masses in meeting him in person in his dying moments. "dying."

Danganronpa 02

Will these episodes get progressively faster as time goes on?

If they're going to adapt the whole game they'll have to. Three episodes for the prologue and the first chapter is already fast but the show only has one cour to work with. I'm really only watching this because I think the seiyuu have potential to do just as great a job as they did in the game, especially Miyukichi's Touko chapter 2 onward.

cajunator

Banned
I got an anime ad earlier while I was on the website for the Carolina Hurricanes. This may be true.

What does that have to do with me?

That is the best scene in dubbed anime of all time.

It is. Theres nothing comparable.
Garzeys wing is majestically awful and Desert punk is hilarious but they both bow down to the master.

Is it really that weird? There are posters in GAF that I don't dislike and continue to dislike. There are people in this community that tick me off but no one I hate. I get mad. I get upset. But for the most part I get over it. Sure when I'm upset I'll say things but as long as it falls outside of the realm of ad hominem and within the rules of GAF, I don't think it's particularly bad to say, "Kayos really needs to stop act fucking stupid and needs to use google search."

Never enough blood IN my hands. They are little. Definitely not moe though.

You are moe as fuck. Your soul is just tainted by an inexplicable evil. I pray for you nightly, Little mascot-kun.

Having recently finished playing Danganronpa (and despairing that the second game isn't translated yet), I took a peak at the anime adaption.

It's... very, very live play-y, with how close it's being. Game OST, game title cards (for each chapter), hell, even the character's static sprites are worked into the animation (very well though). I'll still keep up with it, but it's SUPER CONDENSED, and based on the 2 episodes I've seen, that may be a point against it, since it missed quite a few details during the normal bits and the investigation phase. But since I already played the game it really doesn't bother my enjoyment of it. But newbies watching the show might get confused, especially if the trial phase in episode 3 mentions things that weren't brought to their attention.

Shergal

But it's not like the background art is good enough to warrant a re-use. Or good enough to be even used once. It's distressingly flat, simple and lifeless. It looks like it was drawn in about 10 minutes. They're not even using a new angle. You'll see shots in Hyouka (to use an extreme example) where it's the same location shot from about 10 different angles in a single scene.

I don't think they re-use the backgrounds because they think the backgrounds are amazing (and probably neither do you).

It's SHAFT. They thrive on crappy schedules, it's their shtick.

If they're going to adapt the whole game they'll have to. Three episodes for the prologue and the first chapter is already fast but the show only has one cour to work with. I'm really only watching this because I think the seiyuu have potential to do just as great a job as they did in the game, especially Miyukichi's Touko chapter 2 onward.

I'm genuinely interested in the show's concept so I might just pick up the game because I do want things to unfold naturally and not at x5 speed.

But newbies watching the show might get confused, especially if the trial phase in episode 3 mentions things that weren't brought to their attention.

Episode 3 is going to be so much fun...

cajunator

Banned
Nothing tsundere about it. The show leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The dialogue is boring and basically pointless all the time. It doesn't feel like there's any intent in the writing and just feels like it's made up on the fly with no thought or any deliberate ideas motivating it. Add to that the visual style just doesn't jive with me. The show as a whole just reeks of trying to come off as something cool, hip, and sophisticated and it's nothing but that.

So basically you dont like these other shows because theyre like SAO?
:kayo-s~

I won't claim that it's cool, hip, or sophisticated, but I do like the dialogue and the art style. I can see how someone that doesn't like either of those things would instantly hate it though, since the show is mostly dialogue supported by art.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it's nearly on the same level as Madoka. It's trying so so hard though, and failing.

Daybreak Illusion has the problem of coming after Madoka? Really it comes down to that. Its edgy and dark and Madoka left such an impact on the genre that any show like this will be seen as an also ran.

So basically you dont like these other shows because theyre like SAO?
:kayo-s~

Daybreak Illusion has the problem of coming after Madoka? Really it comes down to that. Its edgy and dark and Madoka left such an impact on the genre that any show like this will be seen as an also ran.

In some way, part of my potential fear is that it blew its load too fast in regards to being grimdark, but who knows how this'll be stretched.

Jex

Oh dear I have a lot of impressions to write up:

[Free!] - 1

This seemed most unremarkable apart from the fanservice, which was hilariously over the top in a manner which I really enjoyed.

[Free!] - 2

There seems to be some potential for a good show here, but it really depends how far they intend to wallow in this manly melodrama. Even if it doesn't succumb to that it's clear that this isn't going to be a Hyouka-level series, although I'm sure we all knew that from the moment it was announced.

[Rozen Maiden 2013] - 1

I don't think you should try to compress an entire manga's worth of story into a single episode of a TV anime but if you had to do it I suppose this was the right way to pull it off. After finishing it off I felt that I had a reasonable grasp on the overall plot even though I lacked the emotional investment in the events that I would have had if I had experienced the story normally.

[Rozen Maiden 2013] - 2

As Hosana has already said in an earlier post, the director does a fine job in crafting in convening the sense of loneliness and isolation that Jun feels at this juncture at his life. It's quite easy, especially in anime, for a director to go over the top in delivering such emotions to the audience but here we see a surprising amount of restraint on display. Good stuff.

[Silver Spoon] - 1

So far so good. Without hearing all the good things about the manga I might well have written this series off as being a fairly standard Moyashimon-type story but I expect it's going to be somewhat different than that.

Monogatari Second Season - 1 & 2

BASED SHAFT. BASED NISIO ISIN.

Shergal

I don't think Daybreak Illusion is as "edgy and dark" as people are painting it. If anything, I'd say it's a pretty bland show and the mechanism they have set up for the magical stuff is fairly simplistic (for now, at least).

It does share some superficial aspects with Madoka, I guess, but that's not really a criticism.

Jex

I don't think they re-use the backgrounds because they think the backgrounds are amazing (and probably neither do you).

It's SHAFT. They thrive on crappy schedules, it's their shtick.

Oh no, I agree, I'm just surprised at how shamelessly they re-use assets. They even use a shot of a loudspeaker that they used in Bakemonogatari and Maria Holic. It's pretty amazing.

Quasar

Conversations in SAO are written horribly sure. However at least they aren't executed and written poorly like the monogatari.

How weird. I always considered the writing and dialog in particular to be its strongest feature. To the point that its one thing I wish I could read in Japanese.

iavi

Monogatari Second Season - 1 & 2

BASED SHAFT. BASED NISIO ISIN.

Where do these fall in the timeline vs bake and nise?

How weird. I always considered the writing and dialog in particular to be its strongest feature. To the point that its one thing I wish I could read in Japanese.

I really, really want to take one of those novels on for myself. I've read what's out there translated, but so little it.

wonzo

Banned
novid: Listen, can't you hear it?
novid: If your soul has not truly given up...
novid: ...you should be able to hear...
novid: ...the sound...
novid: ...resounding across Thundera!

cajunator

Banned

Those hours aint that crazy.

Squid Girl 9

Well that's an interesting way to introduce a new (hopefully recurring) character. Really hope they don't forget about Kiyomi in future episodes. It's nice to see Squid Girl get a real friend, too. :D

EDIT: Oh my god

wMVPKoQ.png

CHU

Chu~!

Again this schedule makes sense. I admire your devotion to the craft.

You're very right. The opposite is also true and I didn't neglect that. I'm sure Kayaba Akihiko will be remembered for being the atrocious shit that he is. However, perhaps it's interesting that the audience and Asuna and Kirito got to see a side that of him that not many people were aware of. Yes, he's still a garbage person but those two were able to gleam more than the masses in meeting him in person in his dying moments. "dying."

Nah hes just a piece of shit.
this is like saying my uncle is salvageable because he helped a prison warden do some laundry or something. Nope hes just a fucking cold blooded killer and he can rot in Angola.

Kwixotik

So my friend made me watch the first couple episodes of Gurren Lagann while I was drunk tonight. Might watch it after I finish Kino's Journey instead of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I dunno. Mostly I only watch incredibly serious anime so it might be cool to switch things up with something stupid for once.

iavi

Directly after. For currently released anime series/OVA's it goes Nekomonogatari, Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Monogatari Second Season.

Oh, nice. I dropped Nise halfway through, but might jump back in with these.

So my friend made me watch the first couple episodes of Gurren Lagann while I was drunk tonight. Might watch it after I finish Kino's Journey instead of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I dunno. Mostly I only watch incredibly serious anime so it might be cool to switch things up with something stupid for once.

The fact that you confuse it with being silly is what makes that anime legendary-tier. I'll just say that it plenty has its moments, and they do resonate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom