• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 12

I think I'm done with this show.

The show really just isn't entertaining to watch at all. The only one of the main four who makes this show even remotely interesting for me is Miyako. She's out there, but compared to Yuno, who to me is just annoyingly childish, and Sae and Hiro who have pretty much zero interesting traits whatsoever, being out there is a good thing.

I planned to stay away from these types of shows for a while, and while I was studying for finals and finishing homework and such this was a decent time waster, but in the end I just can't justify watching this instead of other, better shows I'm watching.

A pity. you were close to reaching the next series which is much better overall. But leave it for another time.

Theonik

Isn't something like this difficult to pull off without the use of CG? I'm not really animation savvy but aren't they using a bunch of 2D frames to create the illusion of a 3D pan-around shot? I think it looks really cool.
It's a pretty difficult thing to do yes.
There was a compilation of such shots on the last thread/a few pages back but I can't search on my phone.

Jex

Eden of the East 04 - Real Reality, Fabricated Reality

Review
I continue to think that this show is surprisingly literate, more than I would have expected, in terms of the way it subtly uses Japanese and global culture as the basis for its politics. That's what makes me excited to watch the next episode each time. Who are the other SELACAO and what perspective do they bring to the table? Dante's Inferno was an allegory, where Dante was able to take all of what he viewed as Italy's problems and explore them through the lens of Hell and punishment for acting poorly, and I think that's the intent here, that each character will act as a way to discuss something that is wrong with Japan. The Title becomes more clear as well, at least so far, the Game is about making Japan into Eden (of the East)... although I suspect the specific word Eden will be used at some later point.
I think that we have the writer and director of the series, Kenji Kamiyama, to thank for that. It's not often that the director of the show is also the writer for the show but Kamiyama has managed to pull that off on a number of shows that he's directed, most notably Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which is another work that concerns itself with Japanese politics and related issues. Heck, that series even has a spin-off special episode that deals exclusively with the problem of Japan's elderly so that's clearly a theme which is important to him.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (1993) 5
NDbBh9Gl.jpg
Fuck Dio. What a piece of shit.

That car chase sequence was godlike, although I spoiled it for myself in the a sakuga video a while ago. Satoshi Kon orz
CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER
Speaking of what's the verdict on the remasters? Worse than the originals or is this gallery just from before there was a remaster? Tempted to get the 2011 DVD remasters because who knows how long it'll take the BD to come over to the US.
No reason to not watch the remasters unless you loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved the original broadcast's title cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Difficult but not impossible. Knowing I.G., I wouldn't be surprised if that shot did use CG, and they just did a good job of hiding it. The quality is too low for me to judge though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Difficult but not impossible. Knowing I.G., I wouldn't be surprised if that shot did use CG, and they just did a good job of hiding it. The quality is too low for me to judge though.

If you have a Netflix subscription, it's on there, around 13-14 minutes in I guess (episode 4)? The rotation goes on way longer, two or three more spins than I capped. I had to lower the resolution a bunch to make the file size reasonable and obviously GIFfing ruins colour fidelity. But it's definitely visually the coolest shot of the show so far whether they used CG or not.

A pity. you were close to reaching the next series which is much better overall. But leave it for another time.

If you don't enjoy the first season of Hidamari Sketch at all, you're not going to enjoy of the succeeding seasons. They may be better executed in general, but the characters and their dynamic doesn't change in any material way.

cajunator

Banned
If you have a Netflix subscription, it's on there, around 13-14 minutes in I guess? The rotation goes on way longer, two or three more spins than I capped. I had to lower the resolution a bunch to make the file size reasonable and obviously GIFfing ruins colour fidelity. But it's definitely visually the coolest shot of the show so far whether they used CG or not.

Ill check the bluray on my TV.
That should pretty much reveal all.

Rayearth

Neo Member
Are those patches the ones made by Mikan as well?

Yea, I got two of each patch (Oarai, KMM, Saunders and Pravda) from Mikan.

Also, in that same picture, the book next to the GuP BDs is Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks, which is a Soviet tank officer's anecdotes about using Lend-Lease Shermans on the East Front. It's a good read, and it shows that the M4 is actually not that bad a tank, when fighting alongside T-34s.

That guy and his buddies seems to take out more Tigers (
and one airplane
) than their luck should allow, I think. I do like the story of how
the crew's piss freezes around the turret ring and makes the turret stuck for a bit

After making that post about reverse image searching for avatar origins, I thought maybe I should test it out some more to see how effective it really is and whether it could find cropped avatars' sources too.

My conclusions:

It's pretty effective.

interesting. With google images and yahoo answers, why even go to school anymore?

edit: doesn't work with my avatar. I win!

cajunator

Banned
Stump I just analyzed it pretty carefully and it appears to be a very well integrated cg model. His hand placement and phone position remains perfectly placed throughout the rotations and its far too smooth to be hand drawn. but Production IG is pretty good at this kind of thing. It works really well.

Ultimadrago

This is why no one new bothers and things are so stagnant. Too full of self-congratulation mixed with passive-aggressive insistence than anything different Just Isn't Right.

Oh well, maybe a red name rush can shake things up!

In Tomat's absence, another keen observer appears.

After making that post about reverse image searching for avatar origins, I thought maybe I should test it out some more to see how effective it really is and whether it could find cropped avatars' sources too.

My conclusions:

It's pretty effective.

Now try mine.

Jex

[Area 88] - OVA 1

This OVA contains some of the most impress mechanical animation that I've ever seen. I can see why it was so revered by fans at the time and how it's managed to lodge itself in the memories of some veteran viewers of anime:

88landingeysm2.gif

area88background4csfg.gif

area88dogfightgqsk9.gif

area88shootingwps58.gif

areabombinglesqq.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
[Area 88] - OVA 1

This OVA contains some of the most impress mechanical animation that I've ever seen. I can see why it was so revered by fans at the time and how it's managed to lodge itself in the memories of some veteran viewers of anime:

area88dogfightgqsk9.gif

area88shootingwps58.gif

areabombinglesqq.gif

That is sexy as fuck! ∑(゚Д゚)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

My conclusions:

It's pretty effective.

Mine woule probably be hard to find

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
[Area 88] - OVA 1

88landingeysm2.gif

etc.

Fighter jets as a subject matter don't interest me at all but I just wanted to reply that I very much agree that technically all the clips you just capped were cool looking, and it's hard to imagine where they could have gotten reference material for some of them so it's a testament to the artists that they turned out as well as they did.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
[Area 88] - OVA 1

88landingeysm2.gif

area88dogfightgqsk9.gif

area88shootingwps58.gif

areabombinglesqq.gif

Can we use these for reviews of Miyazaki's new film?

Custom handmade wood finished skull racer transferred from hard drive to flash drive to hard drive

wrong but :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

My conclusions:

It's pretty effective.
Certain image websites aren't indexed by google. A few of my previous avatars don't work in a reverse search.

Theonik

Mamoru Hosoda said it was amazing and we know that there's no love loss between him and Miyazaki considering that Miyazaki fired him, so I imagine it's going to be pretty great.
I'm waiting for Oshii to watch it. He's the only man we can trust.
Edit: Also while I'm at it sub or dub for Area 88?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom