• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Dunno if this was mentioned but Oreimo is on the Crunchyroll summer lineup page. Does this mean simulcasts of the extra episodes?

I've never seen Gargantia but a contestant made this character for some contest about the show. Something like whatever character wins gets to have a cameo in an episode of the show.

A person named Sai made this character:
187a79fd01871ac534058a64f1b3a9951372227429_full.jpg

Your probably asking me "why are you posting a character that doesn't really matter Mr.Gintoki313?" Well the reason is... dat hair. I've been waiting forever for someone to make that hairstyle on a character. Last time I saw this hairstyle was during Myself;Yourself with Asami's
father... or supposed father
. It's nothing huge but I like seeing it.

Jex

Also the character animation is way more shoddy than I remembered. Them nostalgia goggles.
I didn't notice that at the time because I hadn't had enough experience with animation to tell okay animation from shoddy animation but I do remember some people complaining about it at the time.

Jex

Fighter jets as a subject matter don't interest me at all but I just wanted to reply that I very much agree that technically all the clips you just capped were cool looking, and it's hard to imagine where they could have gotten reference material for some of them so it's a testament to the artists that they turned out as well as they did.

I'm pretty sure that a number of people who made the episode were seriously obsessed with planes of all kinds. There are a number of insanely detailed cockpit shots and lots of 'shop talk' about air brakes, adjusting wings etc etc. I imagine they had to have some visual source material to produce such a detailed work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never seen Gargantia but a contestant made this character for some contest about the show. Something like whatever character wins gets to have a cameo in an episode of the show.

A person named Sai made this character:
Your probably asking me "why are you posting a character that doesn't really matter Mr.Gintoki313?" Well the reason is... dat hair. I've been waiting forever for someone to make that hairstyle on a character. Last time I saw this hairstyle was during Myself;Yourself with Asami's

Is it the side ponytail? lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 3

Why not shoot? Okay they might not be straight up normal zombies, but the rules of fighting zombies still apply, D'Eon. They might be victims but they're dead. Wreck 'em.

Ok what? How did you know that Robin? And why is no one calling you on it?

One thing I'm liking about this show is the art. The animation and artwork is pretty good and definitely avoids the designs and stuff that people like Stump seem to have an aversion to. Story-wise, I seems to handled the historical-fiction-noir-supernatural feeling a lot better than Night Raid 1931.

Okay, D'Eon, you're like the worst member of the team right now. Near useless in fights so far, both sides of you can't handle their emotions, you don't think. Durand may be cold, torturous, bastard but he's more valuable to the team than you right now.

Uh-oh.
This better be part of some plan, Durand. You're already shaping up to be the Zelos of this series.

Wow, Durand's gotta have them connections.

Theonik

So sad, We agree on so many things and yet iM@S makes us bitter enemies. It is such a terrible show for doing so and I can honestly not recommend it to anyone lest they be dragged into horrible war.
Saddest part is
I haven't even seen the show, what drives me is pure waifu bias.

Is it the side ponytail? lol

Sort of. For one it's very rare to see a man in anime with this hairstyle, and also they must have bangs and hair to go with it. Most ponytails looks like this when I prefer for them to let their hair down and have some bangs to make it look cool. Kinda like this but on a male character like he has (couldn't find a male example sadly). I heard on male's it's called a rattail but the one's I looked up look pretty stringy instead of like a ponytail style.

I know I sound weird talking about hair, but it's surprising on my part to see this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sort of. For one it's very rare to see a man in anime with this hairstyle, and also they must have bangs and hair to go with it. Most ponytails looks like this when I prefer for them to let their hair down and have some bangs to make it look cool. Kinda like this but on a male character like he has (couldn't find a male example sadly). I heard on male's it's called a rattail but the one's I looked up look pretty stringy instead of like a ponytail style.

I know I sound weird talking about hair, but it's surprising on my part to see this.

I like this style very much too.

Too bad it doesn't translate well to real life.

Pseudo side-tail bros.

Rayearth

Neo Member

If I remember correctly, it was a contest for pixiv artists, and yea, the premise was the best original character would get a cameo in the last episode.

The contest sounded cool when it was announced back when Gargantia was the hotness 3-4 episodes in, but now, when VVV is the talk of the town? Does pixiv still care?

...You're the Pony-man from FMP Fumoffu, aren't you.

Jex

whoa.

I'm guessing there's no chance that the eventual UK release will be region-free, huh?
The only way we get cheap BD releases is because there's no way that they can be imported into Japan as we're on different codes, so that's very unlikely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

When you say rat tail, I think Richard Garriot. lol

But hey, fair enough!

Jex

So, after doing some reading it seems that the Area 88 DVD's copy that I've seen is actually different to the original release in that they combined two episodes into one and cut some stuff out. Why do companies do this with their releases? Like when Gunbuster in HD was only available as the shitty compressed movie, or the fact that the Macross DYRL? remaster has edits. It's pretty annoying.

Theonik

So, after doing some reading it seems that the Area 88 DVD's copy that I've seen is actually different to the original release in that they combined two episodes into one and cut some stuff out. Why do companies do this with their releases? Like when Gunbuster in HD was only available as the shitty compressed movie, or the fact that the Macross DYRL? remaster has edits. It's pretty annoying.
Actually they didn't cut anything from what I read, but they did change from 3 67 minute OVAs to 2 OVAs.
For Macross I don't think we ever got an explanation but I guess the
head crushing was too much
given it was bundled with a game and they wanted to avoid CERO Z.

Jex

Also, dear Japanese companies, please stop taking down MAD's and OP's from Youtube. They're just free advertising for your shows!

Theonik

Also, dear Japanese companies, please stop taking down MAD's and OP's from Youtube. They're just free advertising for your shows!
This thread has proven time and time again that it is the contrary.
After all people have been saying to watch the E7AO Sakuga MADs instead of the series!
Direct competition!

cnet128

Banned
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge 13 END

So that was a thing.

I'd like to say I'll miss this series, but in all honesty I'll probably have forgotten all about it once we get into the next season. It didn't leave a particularly strong impression. That said, I still enjoyed it for all the tasteful(???) lewdness (I swear like a full half of this episode was
naked lolis
), the rampant fetishism (hey guys what if we have the hero
basically rape the heroine's hair like a lustful animal with his magical agony-inducing scissors?
) and the sweet romance between Kiri and Iwai (the fact that this somehow doesn't contradict my previous point has to be some kind of twisted miracle).

...Oh, also, that exposition about how the Order Made were created was pretty disturbing, huh. Dayum.

It's very frustrating because they are essentially just free advertisements.

It shouldn't be a gargantuan task for me to go and watch the opening to a certain show I like online.

If I remember correctly, it was a contest for pixiv artists, and yea, the premise was the best original character would get a cameo in the last episode.

The contest sounded cool when it was announced back when Gargantia was the hotness 3-4 episodes in, but now, when VVV is the talk of the town? Does pixiv still care?

...You're the Pony-man from FMP Fumoffu, aren't you.

I'm not gonna lie the guy is doing a good deed. He just goes around making girls hair into ponytails lol. Though the creepy face can go.

/XX/

Yea, I got two of each patch (Oarai, KMM, Saunders and Pravda) from Mikan.
Ah, I thought there could be a possibility that someone else could be making very similar ones. Much appreciated your response, Rayearth!

I think he likes it.
Miyazaki also traveled to Germany to visit Otto Carius in 1998.
Quite the meeting of strong personalities there! Cool pictures, many thanks.

He definitely should check out Girls und Panzer as well!

Mamoru Hosoda said it was amazing and we know that there's no love loss between him and Miyazaki considering that Miyazaki fired him, so I imagine it's going to be pretty great.
Well, the situation seemed to be more convoluted than that. When talking about this, Mr. Hosoda has been very polite and discrete (like on this very interesting interview for Le Figaro Magazine... sorry, only in French... why doesn't more people ask him about juicy topics like this one?), and mentioned his stay at Studio Ghibli like a "positive experience" overall, and "don't connecting with the staff" as a reason for his departure, blaming in part the inaccessible structure created around Hayao Miyazaki, and not Mr. Miyazaki himself.

He is just too respectful of Hayao Miyazaki's figure and that shows (while keeping mention of him as original inspiration up to this day), so I'd still consider that opinion as biased, based on his view on Mr. Miyazaki expressed in a such a good light... after all!

I'm waiting for Oshii to watch it. He's the only man we can trust.
Now this is truly a critical (and viciously so) man. He has something for everyone, Mr. Hosoda included:

Mamoru Oshii: The most opinionated man in anime | Newsletter said:
On Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children, Summer Wars): “When it comes to copying other people, he’s a genius. But like (Evangelion director) Hideaki Anno, there’s nothing driving him, no theme, no substance.”
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/New...i_The_most_opinionated_man_in_anime_4973.aspx

This is one of the most innuendo laden episodes of a kids show I've seen.
You see that 7Th? It is the reason why they had to get rid of Mikoto!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 7

I really am getting sick of this OP. It's so bad.

God, Albert you're so juvenile. Oh yeah, Corvo, I'm really feeling those gay vibes from Franz again.

Fuck yeah the Count continuing his smooze-and-seduce plan, it seems. Like you guys said, he really is the Original OG. Dude is so fucking smooth. Oh baby.

/XX/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom