• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

It is Isabelle from Animal Crossing New Leaf and she is barking.

hitohaclosedoorm9ebb.gif

Detective Conan 227:
That epilogue scene with Theme of Old Castle playing. My god, it was incredible. They did a great job building up a sinister atmosphere and really questioning what exactly Jodie is up to. The 'Cool Guy' scene didn't disappoint, either.

I also enjoyed seeing the return of Deduction Queen Sonoko. It had been too long since the last appearance, but at last the superior character that Conan knocks out is being used again.

Mamoru Hosoda said it was amazing and we know that there's no love loss between him and Miyazaki considering that Miyazaki fired him, so I imagine it's going to be pretty great.

Maybe he's just saying that so he can cast Anno as the lead in his next film.

Kurita

Moteki 1-2
ij0Ow6l.jpg

Moriyama plays a temp worker who has never had any luck with women. One day, he suddenly starts getting invitations from several beautiful women, and he finds himself confused about how to deal with this new experience of having a "moteki" (a period when one is very popular and attractive to others)

This is the adaptation of the manga Moteki by Kubo Mitsuro.
It's pretty damn good, this was to be expected when you adapt such a good manga.
It's funny as hell, I laughed all the time. The MC is hilarious, I just love how he reacts to all that new stuff like being popular with girls, being in the same bed as a hottie...
The soundtrack is also great, there are some catchy songs every now and then that make some scenes even better. This one by Flower Companyz was fucking perfect.
It also has one of the best Fujifabric songs as the OP theme.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 12

I can't decide if Taiga spending time with
her dad
like this is a good thing or not yet.

What does Minorin know? I'm so conflicted right now.

Wow, Ami not acting like a total bitch or behind a facade (at least I think not behind one)? Thats...odd.

oh shit

okay this really fucking awkward.

poor Taiga :(

Mature

I think that we have the writer and director of the series, Kenji Kamiyama, to thank for that. It's not often that the director of the show is also the writer for the show but Kamiyama has managed to pull that off on a number of shows that he's directed, most notably Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which is another work that concerns itself with Japanese politics and related issues. Heck, that series even has a spin-off special episode that deals exclusively with the problem of Japan's elderly so that's clearly a theme which is important to him.
Has there been any news of Kamiyama working on a project since 009 Re: Cyborg? He's probably my favorite modern director for the reasons listed above. Curiously, I've yet to watch EotE...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 11

I can't decide if Taiga spending time with
her dad
like this is a good thing or not yet.

What does Minorin know? I'm so conflicted right now.

Wow, Ami not acting like a total bitch or behind a facade (at least I think not behind one)? Thats...odd.

oh shit

okay this really fucking awkward.

poor Taiga :(

Oh god, that arc you're on right now was so heartbreaking. And nerve-wracking, since I had no idea what was going to happen with Taiga and
her dad

CorvoSol

A message of hope for AnimeGAF
vPhj845.png

But 3D mechs are the worst thing to ever happen to mecha.

Akio is adopting the surname of the family he's marrying into. Ohtori Academy, remember?

Gendo Rokubungi in Evangelion does the same thing when marrying Yui Ikari.

About this. Is he just taking the last name of the woman he's marrying and introducing himself as such prematurely? Because the show made it sound like he's been legally adopted into the family prior to the wedding. And since Sword Art Online made a comment about Sugou doing that, I was wondering if this was an actual thing people did in Japan? If so, for what reason?

Has there been any news of Kamiyama working on a project since 009 Re: Cyborg? He's probably my favorite modern director for the reasons listed above. Curiously, I've yet to watch EotE...

I don't believe so. I'm sure Kamiyama is working on something, but it probably won't be announced for awhile.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
About this. Is he just taking the last name of the woman he's marrying and introducing himself as such prematurely? Because the show made it sound like he's been legally adopted into the family prior to the wedding. And since Sword Art Online made a comment about Sugou doing that, I was wondering if this was an actual thing people did in Japan? If so, for what reason?
In the case of Utena it's all about power.
Marrying into the Ohtori family is largely a political move from Akio, as we can tell he doesn't really care about his fiancée. And the symbolical aspect of adopting the name of the place where the show takes in, of course.

CorvoSol

Not worse than low-quality Gundam mechs and stock footage.

Eh. I'd say 3D mechs are definitely worse than stock footage. At least in stock footage I can tell what's going on. 3D mechs are almost always over designed, moving incomprehensibly, and stuck with that horrible gray pallor.

In the case of Utena it's all about power.
Marrying into the Ohtori family is largely a political move from Akio, as we can tell he doesn't really care about his fiancé. And the symbolical aspect of adopting the name of the place where the show takes in, of course.

But he isn't legally becoming her brother before marrying her, right?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Actually, to be more to the point, family status is more of a thing in Japanese culture. If a relative no-name is marrying with somebody of higher standing, the latter has priority.

CorvoSol

Actually, to be more to the point, family status is more of a thing in Japanese culture. If a relative no-name is marrying with somebody of higher standing, the latter has priority.

I can get that, I just wanna know if the legal hijinks are making them siblings prior to spouses.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you have a Netflix subscription, it's on there, around 13-14 minutes in I guess (episode 4)? The rotation goes on way longer, two or three more spins than I capped. I had to lower the resolution a bunch to make the file size reasonable and obviously GIFfing ruins colour fidelity. But it's definitely visually the coolest shot of the show so far whether they used CG or not.

So I looked at the episode through perfectly legitimate channels on Hulu and I can say pretty confidently that the spinning room was made with CG. While the room itself, being very squarish and geometrical without overmuch deformation wouldn't have been too difficult to do by hand, the glowing circles and the marquee text would've been really hard to nail right. To use CG for that, and hand drawn for the room, then compositing the two together would be way more effort than it's worth, so the entire scene (minus Akira) is probably CG.

It's interesting to note that, before and after the spinning scene, the background is clearly hand drawn. Only when it's in motion did I.G. resort to CG.

Also the character animation is way more shoddy than I remembered. Them nostalgia goggles.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I can get that, I just wanna know if the legal hijinks are making them siblings prior to spouses.
They aren't. The term "adopted" is used loosely here, like when a woman takes on her husband's family name and is now part of his family. Americans don't really care much about the specifics of this anymore because of our hippie free-love culture, but where actual traditional marriage is a thing the two respective families matter far more than the two individuals.

Fv1T10l.jpg

I could say the same Kirino

Oreimo 9

Think I've reached the point where I'm on the fence about Kirino.

Previously, I would find her abuse with Kyosuke tolerable and sometimes a little comical . This time however, he stayed out of her business and really didn't deserve any of the abuse he got. When she was arguing with the sis in the eroge, she was literally describing everything wrong about herself.

Kuro on the otherhand, is showing me why she's always in contention for best girl. While I don't mind her usual gothic outfit, she she looks cute when dressed in normal attire and her interaction with her little sister was just adorable.

CorvoSol

No. I don't think he's actually "adopted" by the Ohtori. My guess is that he just changed his name prematurely.

yup

They aren't. The term "adopted" is used loosely here, like when a woman takes on her husband's family name and is now part of his family. Americans don't really care much about the specifics of this anymore because of our hippie free-love culture, but where actual traditional marriage is a thing the two respective families matter far more than the two individuals.

Okay, I just had to know because Sword Art Online made it sound like it was definitely
Sugou becoming Asuna's legal brother so he could rape her unconscious body.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Okay, I just had to know because Sword Art Online made it sound like it was definitely
Sugou becoming Asuna's legal brother so he could rape her unconscious body.
Mental scars of SAO.

Oh yeah, speaking of mental scars, a while back you laid down a challenge regarding Scrappy Doo. I was unable to find a satisfactory response to it.

CorvoSol

Mental scars of SAO.

Oh yeah, speaking of mental scars, a while back you laid down a challenge regarding Scrappy Doo. I was unable to find a satisfactory response to it.

I KNOW, RIGHT? I mean, I didn't go anywhere special to fulfill that particular requirement, but I did at least try Google and Deviantart and NOTHING. Meanwhile one basic Google search of the other character, no marking words or anything, turned up all kinds of stuff within like, 10 results.

I was stunned.

Oreimo 9

Think I've reached the point where I'm on the fence about Kirino.

Previously, I would find her abuse with Kyosuke tolerable and sometimes a little comical . This time however, he stayed out of her business and really didn't deserve any of the abuse he got. When she was arguing with the sis in the eroge, she was literally describing everything wrong about herself.

Kuro on the otherhand, is showing me why she's always in contention for best girl. While I don't mind her usual gothic outfit, she she looks cute when dressed in normal attire and her interaction with her little sister was just adorable.

Wounds from the latest Oreimo episode are reopened everytime as I see something Oreimo related. Fuck this. =(

K - ON! - 4

You know Mio, if you wanted to suggest a training camp, why wouldn't you suggest somewhere that focused more on music, as opposed to a summer home where YOU KNOW they would get distracted. Don't tell you couldn't figure that out!

These girls must have the ultimate deadbeat parents for them to be allowed to sleep in a summer home without any supervision whatsoever. I could have bought it at first, but then they showed them working with pyrotechnics. How old are these girls again? 14 to 15? I'm pretty sure them working with that stuff is illegal. But I digress. It's a moe anime.

Oh boy. The :sdburton in this show is steadily rising.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I KNOW, RIGHT? I mean, I didn't go anywhere special to fulfill that particular requirement, but I did at least try Google and Deviantart and NOTHING. Meanwhile one basic Google search of the other character, no marking words or anything, turned up all kinds of stuff within like, 10 results.

I was stunned.
I was similarly surprised when I found how few people have thought to do anthro versions of Strike Witches. Google/Pixiv/DA/FA combined only produced 1-2 examples.

K - ON! - 4

You know Mio, if you wanted to suggest a training camp, why wouldn't you suggest somewhere that focused more on music, as opposed to a summer home where YOU KNOW they would get distracted. Don't tell you couldn't figure that out!

These girls must have the ultimate deadbeat parents for them to be allowed to sleep in a summer home without any supervision whatsoever. I could have bought it at first, but then they showed them working with pyrotechnics. How old are these girls again? 14 to 15? I'm pretty sure them working with that stuff is illegal. But I digress. It's a moe anime.

Oh boy. The :sdburton in this show is steadily rising.

Mio deep down wants to party too. Busty~

They're parents are incredibly rich, which will only become more apparent the further you get in the show.
They're 15 or 16, since Japanese high schools are only three years.

You haven't seen nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom