• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yuri Seijin OVA (2010)

That's was very hilarious and entertaining. I really love the artstyle and character designs. Very nice and fluid animation. Satomi Arai is so perfect for the Yuri Alien role.
The second image made laugh more than I should xD
I simply couldn't get past the way the straight-girl of the comedy act would do nothing but state the way Naoko's behavior was absurd as if the audience couldn't tell and then Naoko would carry on completely ignoring it.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom S2 7

kingdoms27.jpg

I'm really glad they aren't trying to cram this into one episode, especially now that they've included the mother into this flashback arc. If they did then it would've pretty much killed all the emotional impact this part had on me when I read it for the first time.

Shame the longer OVA felt off. I think it worked well in the short format like that as much longer proved to be too much in maintaining the energy.
Yeah, but the 2012 OVA had that the really nicely animated and bizarre OP and the utterly incredible ED.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I simply couldn't get past the way the straight-girl of the comedy act would do nothing but state the way Naoko's behavior was absurd as if the audience couldn't tell and then Naoko would carry on completely ignoring it.

Yuri Seijin Speedwagon-san.

Too bad this couldn't have been permanent.

Toei sez that you can't be a mature woman and have a pure heart. It is law.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MJP 11

Now this was actually an awesome episode. Easily my favorite so far. The mission was really enjoyable with an awesome change of atmosphere, there were interesting character dynamics throughout, a really nice atmosphere to the whole thing with a background on everyday life for both sides, with the focus on the
soldiers in Wulgaru and the more intricate details of the JULIA system.

I wish there were more episodes like this and less like the previous 10.

Also Lunch Lady - check! So much awesome Tamaki fanservice in this episode too. Kei can go away.

Terrific Rimjob

Wow, what a movie! Maybe not on the level of Gurren Lagann, but definitely the best live-action mech related thing I've ever seen.

I do have a few issues though, one being the fact Evilore outright lied by implying it was all action. There was a sizable amount of buildup that took away from the true appeal, which was giant mechs fighting giant monsters!

Also, some of the fights were hard to follow. I almost feel like I shouldn't have watched it in 3D, because there was just a lot of visual incoherence in general. Just trying to focus on any particular part of the amazing set pieces leads to missing the action, so you don't even know where to look half the time.

Other than that though, it was awesome as hell. Hope there's a sequel.

Lactation Moon 37

Well well well well well well well. Don't see lactation much in kids shows.

Anyway, girls just want to be princesses, or at least that's what Disney was teaching me back in the 90s. Frisbee throwing was key to being able to join, but will Usagi pass the test?

Nopes

Anyway, clearly the gimmick for this is Tuxedo Cock and Exposing Sailor Moon's identity, although I don't know why they're not concerned with everyone elses identities. that would help man. Anyway, we're closing in onto the end! Can't wait!

Hattori

Banned
Shame the longer OVA felt off. I think it worked well in the short format like that as much longer proved to be too much in maintaining the energy.
hmm... that's quite unfortunate. I'll still give a try though, maybe.

I could see how that could be a negative to some. However, for me I didn't mind it one bit. I actually kind of preferred the soft-spoken tsukkomi of Misuzu. It's kind of a breath of fresh air for me personally.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You haven't seen Trust & Betrayal?!

You're dead to me.

I have no idea why I haven't either.

You didn't watch Tatami Galaxy?

I probably will since I adore Uchouten Kazoku. I only passed on it because a.) it originally aired at a point in my life where I dismissed all romance anime out of hand and b.) before I knew more about Yuasa, I was afraid to touch something else directed by him because Kaiba had left me pretty depressed. I've long gotten over any of that, of course.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mad Pierrot: Tatami is kinda like Night on the Galactic Railroad in that for a long while you'll be wondering why you're watching the show, then at the end it's all OHHHHHHHHHHH.

Who cares? He's watching Sailor Moon, that's all that matters.
Chet gets it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MJP 12

Best filler episode. GD FLASH.

Tamaki being awesome, Kei being terrible, Suruga doing I have no fucking idea what he was doing, Izuru really needing to find some friends and Asagi walking down a dangerous path of life known as the lolicon.

It's amazing how Tamaki's breasts keep getting larger every episode and Kei's keep getting smaller. By the end of the series I expect Kei to be concave and Tamaki to be too big to actually fit in any space suit. Seriously have no idea what Suruga was doing. Feel like I missed an explanation or something, hopefully its a lead in for the next episode. And RIP Asagi. There is no way this ends well. I still expect him to end up dead at some point. Those stomach ulcers are never going away.

Not sure what to expect out of the second half with basically two low key episodes in a row. They really got away from the central element of the story in a hurry. Which is a really, really great thing. Now they're going to have to go back to it shrug.

CorvoSol

Noted. Though I wasn't planning on looking at any E7 stuff besides the series and maybe the movie if I was really drunk.
As I said. Too pure.
This is one occasion where my curiosity is not stronger than my turd sense.

Let it be. Astral Ocean is a hateful, evil show. My opinion of it is Jehxius' opinion of Stardust Memory.

My brother went through Eureka Seven recently, and loved it - he's a dub-only kind of a guy though, which is the only thing stopping him from watching Ao.

They just started a dub recently, I believe. Please do not tell him about it. It's for the best.

I don't know if any one noticed, but SAO will premiere on Toonami next week. It's going to be so much fun reading the hate while also hate watching it.

WAHAHAHAHAHA.

May TOM watch over their souls.

Minami-ke Okaeri 13 (END)

After watching a season that's apparently more similar to the first, I think I can understand some of the short-comings of Okawari. Okawari had a weird air of seriousness to it even though I didn't really mind Milhouse's introduction and then later farewell, but that really made it way less funny too. Minami-ke just shines when the characters are completely absurd but still sort of grounded in reality. Also there was more MANSAKA and Touma's brothers (who didn't even make an appearance in Okawari) who bring a lethal dose of comedy. Definitely my favorite of the seasons I've watched and I've still got one more to go, bless you Minami-ke.

Minami-ke Okaeri 13 (END)

After watching a season that's apparently more similar to the first, I think I can understand some of the short-comings of Okawari. Okawari had a weird air of seriousness to it even though I didn't really mind Milhouse's introduction and then later farewell, but that really made it way less funny too. Minami-ke just shines when the characters are completely absurd but still sort of grounded in reality. Also there was more MANSAKA and Touma's brothers (who didn't even make an appearance in Okawari) who bring a lethal dose of comedy. Definitely my favorite of the seasons I've watched and I've still got one more to go, bless you Minami-ke.

Yeah, the second season stressed the slice of life more than the comedy. I don't hate that season like some seem to, but it's definitely the least funny and entertaining season of Minami-ke.

Lain

Railgun S 15

This was a thing of beauty. J.C.Staff delivers once again a really great episode that was both good to look at and with a great impact.
The way Touma confronts Accelerator at the start really made me think "Touma is the fucking boss", and those punches looked really heavy.

Is Kirbyguy watching Sailor Moon just for the upskirt shots?

No actually, I'm watching it more to get ready for the reboot happening later on. The lewd comes second, just as an educational experience on just how much the dub messed with this series. Well that and sexual deviantry, which isn't at the level of CCS, but certainly is more interesting.

Fetish Moon 38

Fist nipples. Yeah Okay. And Dude in love with Rei dude is actually a rich dude working at a shrine (to be near Rei) He certainly looks more manly since the last time I saw him, and he's working his way up the cool scale to get some of that Fiery Mars Bar.

Anyway, the contest names are so blatant that i'm shocked that they're falling for this. Actually no I'm not, these are the people who don't recognize Usagi as Sailor Moon. All she does is put fucking red lights in her meatball hair, and wear a fucking tiara. On top of the numerous OH HAY, ONE OF THESE GIRLS IS SAILOR MOON, IT CAN'T BE THE BLONDE GIRL, ITS THE OTHER GIRL SO THAT WE CAN THROW USAGI UNDER A BUS/:KG.

But yeah. I'm not sure when we'll get into final arc time, but considering the action isn't anywhere near the level of later shows made by Toei, I'm going to assume we'll have like 3 episodes for that.

cajunator

Banned
hah. I'm being accused of being a "late bloomer" going through a "rebellious phase" because I never had one as an adolescent, just because I'm actually beginning to defend myself against family criticism of my hobbies.

I'm almost certain that my fixation on mahou shoujo partially has something to do with it being the forbidden fruit when I was a kid.

I was a good kid so it gave me leeway to be a rebellious ass later in life.

That seems like an oddly specific hobby to pressure one's child into adopting.

Not really. I actually have a General class radio license which lets me use vhf, hf, and uhf frequencies and about 1500 watts transmitting power. Morse code too. Its an ok hobby.

It's one his dad likes, my dad is always trying to get me to get into hobbies he also enjoys.

Pretty much. Dads spent....more than I have on anime...on that hobby.

Looks like Hummingbird updated their Recs page and it's much better:

You can also filter by genre or select favorite genres to shape your results, which is neat.

WATCH MILLENNIUM ACTRESS. Its really really good.

Looks like Hummingbird updated their Recs page and it's much better:

You can also filter by genre or select favorite genres to shape your results, which is neat.

This got me to check Humingbird for the first time in a while and my feed is all fucked up. It has a big list of shows being "dropped" that I've never touched.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MJP 13

Bishoujo! Bishounen! Not really. Definitely Kei's best moment in the entire series.

New character is fucking terrible. Like god awful, worst character in the series. Just truly awful in so many ways.

Show managed to burn all of the goodwill in the last 2 episodes. It's back to being a gigantic steaming pile of crap.

To top it off now its got a garbage OP, garbage ED and a garbage soundtrack. Fuck this show.

Firemind

I'm watching Dangan Ronpa and

oh lawd

I'm not sure if I should be taking this seriously or not. It even has those cheesy objection effects from Phoenix Wright.

Everything seems shitty this season. Anything remotely watchable?

wonzo

Banned
I'm watching Dangan Ronpa and

oh lawd

I'm not sure if I should be taking this seriously or not. It even has those cheesy objection effects from Phoenix Wright.

Everything seems shitty this season. Anything remotely watchable?
Uchouten Kazuko
Gatchaman Crowds
SIlver Spoon
Yamashibai : Japanese Ghost Stories
Tamayua ~more aggressive~ (watch the ova and the first season beforehand)
Teekyuu S2 (again watch the first season [it's only 30 minutes!])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom