• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Love Lab 3

Nice to see the animation is back up to par with the first episode. And now that the whole group is together, and the chemistry seems to be good, here's hoping the show can blah blah yadda yadda it's enjoyable and writing about these slice of life comedies is really hard so I'm just going to stop here.

zeroshiki

Scale of awful at the moment: 00 is worse than PFoR is worse than Rah Xephon is worse than AO is worse than SAO is worse than AGE is worse than Stardust Memory is worse than Majestic Prince is worse than SEED Destiny.

Z3 will probably have Age and its gonna take up like 20+ missions to finish the story and I will kill myself in the process.

CorvoSol

Z3 will probably have Age and its gonna take up like 20+ missions to finish the story and I will kill myself in the process.

Man how can AGE even be in an SRW game? It spans a full 100 years. Flit goes from tiny tyrant to ancient autocrat over the course of the series. I mean I can see the games handwaving up to like, seven year gaps as a one time "puberty" thing like they did with Nadesico to PoD Ruri, but a hundred years? I dunno.

Just gotta keep crossing my fingers that AGE doesn't get in, and somehow PFoR is pushed out in favor of actual E7 somehow.

And that I get to play with the ARX-8.

Mega Man Sins 10

Omega is very, very annoyed by the fact that people keep comparing him to Zero, including this guy Dune, who has scythes for a stomach. Meanwhile, we finally get to see one of the Mega Men use them things at their hips in combat. Also, it occurs to me: what if you DID kill Casshern, and were about to devour Casshern, only to realize that, like MOST robots in this show, you had neither a stomach nor a mouth.

zeroshiki

Man how can AGE even be in an SRW game? It spans a full 100 years. Flit goes from tiny tyrant to ancient autocrat over the course of the series. I mean I can see the games handwaving up to like, seven year gaps as a one time "puberty" thing like they did with Nadesico to PoD Ruri, but a hundred years? I dunno.

Just gotta keep crossing my fingers that AGE doesn't get in, and somehow PFoR is pushed out in favor of actual E7 somehow.

Its gonna take 5 SRW games to finish the AGE story. Its gonna be the worse shit ever.

fertygo

AO is pretty much SRWZ story worthy.. so..
Dimension shift.

They probably gonna merge AO and AGE story lulz
suicide-rope.jpg

CorvoSol

Its gonna take 5 SRW games to finish the AGE story. Its gonna be the worse shit ever.

Maybe they'll just ignore it. They must have ignored at least one major Gundam series in the past, right? Right? I mean geez, AGE doesn't even have good mechs. Except like, two.

AO is pretty much SRWZ story worthy.. so..
Dimension shift.

They probably gonna merge AO and AGE story lulz
suicide-rope.jpg

One of those times where I'm glad I can't understand/read japanese and that nobody bothers to translate SRW games these days.

zeroshiki

Maybe they'll just ignore it. They must have ignored at least one major Gundam series in the past, right? Right? I mean geez, AGE doesn't even have good mechs. Except like, two.

I don't think 0083 or F91 has shown up in a while but they have never not used a Gundam.

cnet128

Banned
My brother went through Eureka Seven recently, and loved it - he's a dub-only kind of a guy though, which is the only thing stopping him from watching Ao.

...Never again will I claim that anime dubs have done nothing good for the world.

Ritsu's hairstyle change in the EDs is always the best.

And Ritsu's standard hairstyle is the best as well! Basically Ritsu is just the best in general.

Sunday without God ep 3

ySUgBGB.png

Saying something seriously while holding a wet striped panties isn't gonna invoke any reaction from me :|

Ai has fine taste in pantsu. I approve. Good loli.

Oh my god why is this so amazing

He's been a little busy...

cXrn2on.jpg

o_o SUGITAAAAAAA

gachaman crowds needs more time with bikini loli.

Agreed. Very agreed. In fact, can we just turn it into the "Hajime and Utsutsu Show"? Yuri implications very much intended.

Haha, turns out that a well done rec page also serves as a WALL OF SHAME.

Hmm. I suppose you could say that about mine:

Dammit why is Kuroko on there it's because I'm watching Free isn't it ~.~

The rest is pretty fair, though some of it is a little too on-the-nose. I'm watching Hidamari so I should watch more Hidamari? Thank you Hummingbird, I totally couldn't have figured that out for myself.

Impressive that there's Precure in my "based on what you plan to watch" list though, since I haven't actually put any Precure in my Plan to Watch list (though I do of course plan to watch them. ALL OF THEM.)

I'm watching Dangan Ronpa

There is your problem. Drop it and play the game.

Fantasista Doll Episode 3: Gave this one another go and I think I fell asleep around time they were using Ice Cream as a viable tactical weapon. Yea, this one is certainly going on the seasonal drop pile.

But that was a stroke of brilliance! XD

Love Lab 3

Nice to see the animation is back up to par with the first episode. And now that the whole group is together, and the chemistry seems to be good, here's hoping the show can blah blah yadda yadda it's enjoyable and writing about these slice of life comedies is really hard so I'm just going to stop here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles to find things to write about these types of shows even when I'm really enjoying them >.> But I will persist, for it is my calling and my duty! (Full disclosure: I had to look up translations of the Japanese "shimei" to come up with that phrasing >.> WHY CAN I NOT THINK OF WORDS IN MY NATIVE LANGUAGE ANY MORE)

cnet128

Banned
You haven't seen Totoro?!!!!!!

What is wrong with you people?

I knew people would latch on to that >.>

I've been vaguely meaning to rectify my failures at watching Ghibli stuff for a while (read: years), but somehow I never get around to it. For the longest time I hadn't even seen Spirited Away; I only ended up watching that because a spontaneous groupwatch happened when I was visiting a colleague's house. (And loved it, of course.)

Actually, I think almost all the Ghibli stuff I've seen was the result of spontaneous groupwatches that weren't really my idea. That was certainly the case with Ponyo and Porco Rosso. The only one I remember specifically watching of my own accord was Howl's Moving Castle for some reason, many years ago. I don't even know why I picked that one. I wasn't exactly that impressed by it.

Theonik

I find it fortunate that the people that know me would think something was amiss if i wasn't watching cartoons.
Yeah. No-one cares really in my case. I even managed to get my mom to watch Geass.

My brother went through Eureka Seven recently, and loved it - he's a dub-only kind of a guy though, which is the only thing stopping him from watching Ao.
I say that worked out fantastically for your brother. Pray it stays thus.

One of those nice things about revisiting stuff with a bit more knowledge is I'm just more aware of stuff now: lol

Gatchaman's 1994 OVA had a remix of the original song by none other than Ichiro Mizuki.
Ichiro Mizuki is the best.

Looks like Hummingbird updated their Recs page and it's much better:

You can also filter by genre or select favorite genres to shape your results, which is neat.
This is way old. I posted about it 2-3 weeks ago. But it gives me an excuse to post that again:
Also they still haven't fixed the buttons doing nothing.

for the free! crowd (if this hasn't been posted? Search isn't telling me much).
I really like how all those Free parodies have a lot more lower body than upper body. Shows how much these people know.

Let it be. Astral Ocean is a hateful, evil show. My opinion of it is Jehxius' opinion of Stardust Memory.
I'll take your word for it.

Acosta

My marathon of Hunter X Hunter paid off, now I can follow it, really enjoying the last arc. Just watched 89.

Bisky is awesome lol.

What I really like of Hunter X Hunter as a shonen is that I think it makes a great job giving a feeling of vulnerability to the characters. Let's say, that I have less faith on Gon surpassing his enemy than Luffy, Goku, Naruto or Ichigo.

At the same time, this makes Hunter X Hunter less epic at the moment of the "Awakening" when the hero lose his shit and the counterattack begins. I always loved Fairy Tail for that (awesome music helped). But I don't mind it, the history and characters are fantastic and it´s actually refreshing seeing character that struggle and fail at what they are trying to do.

Not everything is perfect but I'm glad of following it now, the Greed Islanc doesn't hold a candle to the awesomeness of Yorknew arc, but Chimera Ant is being great.

(I know there is a Hunter x Hunter thread but people talk about the manga there, hope you don't mind).

Krogan

Hajime no Ippo

Took me long enough but I finally finished it and wow what a ride. The ending fight was incredibly satisfying and the last move he learns
Dempsey roll
is by far the most badass thing I have seen. I really loved all the boxers especially Mashiba (
once Ippo tries to get with his sister
).

Acosta

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou 2

Looking good! I thought the twist would come a bit after but it looks quite interesting so far, let's see how it develops.

Lurky

High school DxD New: episodes 1-3

Gotdamn! Issei has to be one of the best protagonists I've ever seen in an anime. That said, this season started off pretty slow with mostly talking so far. Although, the fight in episode 3 was really worth the wait.
Dat hot Koneko body.
Looks like things will be getting better from here.

Fantasista Doll: episodes 1-3

I really don't know what to say about this show. If it wasn't for those two loli, I wouldn't be watching it at all. I really want to drop it but they're just so cute~

I guess i'll wait another two episodes before deciding to drop it or not.

BluWacky

Cutie Honey F

Out of curiosity borne out over many, many years, I decided to watch the first ep of Cutie Honey F, the "successor" to the Sailor Moon anime - same timeslot, same studio, apparently the same core staff.

This was a relatively unsuccessful attempt to turn Cutie Honey into a shoujo series, although it still got 39 episodes and my understanding is the ending is pretty final so I don't think they could have spun it off any further. Even though it's shoujo, they still keep the original lyrics in the OP about how tiny her bum is...

Bear in mind that the show predates the Utena anime by about a year, so imagine my surprise at these shots:

cutiehoneyf_zps2c29b7a8.jpg
cutiehoneyf2_zps51444f6b.jpg

alas, no forest behind the school, and the Wakaba in this show is pink-haired and irritating. Also not pictured - SD weirdo headmaster.

Otherwise it's clear that there's a lot of design influence from Sailor Moon in the monsters and Panther Claw's lair, as well as stylistic elements like the flowers (and florid speeches!) that adorn so many scenes.

cutiehoneyf3_zps1e803cf3.jpg
cutiehoneyf4_zps7c09d3c8.jpg

oh, and the bishounen. The brown haired one is Honey's dad, the silver one is "the Twilight Knight" *cough*TuxedoMask*cough*.

Otherwise, it's not the most exciting of first episodes, despite car chases and fights on blimps. Honey's whirlwind transformations and fighting really needs the energy that Re: Cutie Honey provided as the way she's presented here is too restrained, and the supporting characters don't get enough screen time to prove interesting at this stage.

cutiehoneyf5_zps59d72058.jpg
cutiehoneyf6_zps7e5b1810.jpg

Surely Seiji should guess pretty much immediately that the one person he knows called Honey, that most common of Japanese names, might be the same person as Cutie Honey? Nah, too simple.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I hear that Dangonropa is much more worthwhile to experience in game form. I watched the first two episodes, but saw it suggested to start playing hte game and not watch any more of the anime. Should I wait for the Vita release in the US or import the Japanese version and patch it?

wonzo

Banned
So I hear that Dangonropa is much more worthwhile to experience in game form. I watched the first two episodes, but saw it suggested to start playing hte game and not watch any more of the anime. Should I wait for the Vita release in the US or import the Japanese version and patch it?
Vita release ofc.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
support vita gaming!

Given that the vita Us release is far away , importing the pspThebest version and patching it is a viable choice If you can't wait.

Darker than Black Season 2
After years of people telling me how bad this was, for some reason today I felt like seeing it for myself. And yeah, it's not just terrible, it's the sort of thing I wish I could forget seeing because I'm afraid it will taint my memories of the first season. Why? Someone send me a dmail 10 hours ago telling me not to watch this.

Dynedom

AnimeGAF list of things that don't exist contrary to popular belief:

Darker Than Black sequels
Eureka 7 sequels
Gundam 00 sequel movies
Usagi Drop manga

That is all

Darker than Black Season 2
After years of people telling me how bad this was, for some reason today I felt like seeing it for myself. And yeah, it's not just terrible, it's the sort of thing I wish I could forget seeing because I'm afraid it will taint my memories of the first season. Why? Someone send me a dmail 10 hours ago telling me not to watch this.

Years of people telling you how bad it was didn't stop you , and you think a D-mail will ?

Accept your fate . ( or watch the oav )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom