• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Hahahaha I knew people would recommend the KyoAni show. AnimeGAF, never change.

Uchoten Kazoku seems cool, especially since the original novel is written by the author who also did Tatami Galaxy, one of my favourite anime shows!

Narag

Hahahaha I knew people would recommend the KyoAni show. AnimeGAF, never change.

It was one person, myself, and I'm blissfully unaware of Kyoani's back catalog. What I expected to be shameless fujoshi material might end up a decent show about sports and friendship. Also, there's a chance we're going to get KEY'd. aw yeah

zeroshiki

It was one person, myself, and I'm blissfully unaware of Kyoani's back catalog. What I expected to be shameless fujoshi material might end up a decent show about sports and friendship. Also, there's a chance we're going to get KEY'd. aw yeah

What part of the back catalog?

(Depending on your answer to this, I might have to get the pitchforks ready)

zeroshiki

I've watched K-On! and the Happy Science short!

No Hyouka?
simpsons-villagers-pitchfork-torches_zps3e55d3cc.jpg

zeroshiki

It's on the backlog! From what I've read in here, it's something I'd like to spend some time with rather that just firing it up and doing something else while it's on. Have to be in the right mood for that.

You should watch K-On!! and the movie too for good measure.

Also, you should stop watching anime as background noise.

zeroshiki

More I should stop reading the anime thread while watching anime. Also probably watch better stuff so my attention doesn't wander as much.

They go hand in hand! Watching good shows will make you less likely to want to do other shit while watching.

Watch Hyouka!
77a3e200-8eca-4baa-ad0c-36f0cc8f21ef_zpsf8e568f0.jpg

So I thought I would watch a couple of scenes from Magical Shopping Arcade Amenobashi because my sister wanted me to recommend her a good comedy anime, and I can't believe how funny it still is. I haven't seen the show in a very long time, but those small clips reminded me of how funny i thought it was.

I might have to give it another watch someday when I'm done with my anime backlog.

This scene was pretty great too (the MC turns into this because of the suit, he doesn't look anything like that lol). It kinda reminds me of how bad the animation was for it but it's randomness makes it funny.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fantasista Doll Episode 3: Gave this one another go and I think I fell asleep around time they were using Ice Cream as a viable tactical weapon. Yea, this one is certainly going on the seasonal drop pile.

Firemind

So I thought I would watch a couple of scenes from Magical Shopping Arcade Amenobashi because my sister wanted me to recommend her a good comedy anime, and I can't believe how funny it still is. I haven't seen the show in a very long time, but those small clips reminded me of how funny i thought it was.

I might have to give it another watch someday when I'm done with my anime backlog.

This scene was pretty great too (the MC turns into this because of the suit, he doesn't look anything like that lol). It kinda reminds me of how bad the animation was for it but it's randomness makes it funny.

That scene is hilarious. The best episode though is the giant robot parody. Laughed so much I couldn't breathe. Then it went down to shit starting with the prehistoric episode. :(

Sailor Moon 39

Dat chest. Anyway, in another Lets throw Usagi under the bus arc, we find out that our the Jupiter is capable of skating gracefully a--- oh man, the Stringendo vibes are back with this one as we have glorious skating upskirt time.

I don't think Tuxedo Mask is really possessed with the way he acts. It's so unconvincing.

Anyway, JEALOUSY OVER OUR JUPITER! Can't handle tall girls can she?

If I remember correctly, we had Venus, Jupiter, and Mars being mistakened as Sailor Moon, so I guess we're in need of a Mercury episode next. Can't wait till I get to the point where Ami gets progressively dirty minded.

Nerokis

Attack on Titan 4

"Holy shit. That was incredible." I turn to my girlfriend. "Hey, watch this scene! Awesome, right?!" I explain what's going on. "And so now we see if humanity can actually turn things around! :D"

Attack on Titan 5

ed-nortan-laptop.gif

Ojamajo Doremi # 49 END
But what about Pop?

Do you believe if I say I just noticied what happened to her on her episode on Mo~tto, and it was pretty obvious
she stopped going to MAHOdou to have more time to train playing the piano.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi 2

LET'S SPEAK ENGLISHU

It's better than Kiniro Mosaic. =p

===========================

Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 05

Chihiro(she's back!!) comes to Takehara to visit Fu-nyon, she ends up getting off a station too early and Fu-nyon's mother got to show some swag. Potte hears from her mother biker friends about how she once was a motorcyclist.
After Fu-nyon takes Chihiro to meet the others. Later, a wild Sayomi appears and takes everyone on a lengthy( put lengthy on it) expedition, where everyone becomes friends with Chihiro, what she deserves because she is so sweet.
Will she be back for more before the end?

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 21

Hana-chan getting more genes from Doremi than the other girls.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 22

Yeah, I already know Pop is a good sister.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 23

Majo Prima knows what's up with these exams, don't even care.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 24

LET'S ROCK 'N' ROLL...this is the second time this season I'm left watching a 90's video clip.

That scene is hilarious. The best episode though is the giant robot parody. Laughed so much I couldn't breathe. Then it went down to shit starting with the prehistoric episode. :(

After the prehistoric episode the show actually tried to explain everything and take things serious. It was quite surprising because the show usually doesn't take itself seriously, which not taking the plot serious was a good thing for this show.

The robot and Hong Kong episode sure was the best :)

• The Host
I complained.

Then I realized it was really just harem anime.

The Host receives a score of
0.4 Sword Art Onlines
or
1 The Worst Eroge Adaptation You Can Think Ofs

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In response to the conversation on parents/other family members and their reactions to anime and anime related merchandise I don't think my parents mind it. I mean I've opened most of my recent parcels in front of them. As with any activity they'd only mind if it was taking up all of my time.

Though my mother was right cheeky and described my recent Alter Akari figurine as a "Japanese sex doll". :mad:

Nerokis

Attack on Titan 8

You don't even know yet.

I'm already traumatized and expecting the worst at every turn.

It seems, though, that a certain scene the show seems to love replaying (ugh, the swallow...) suddenly has a whole new meaning.

None of this is really what I was expecting. Yet I haven't had a marathon like this in a very long time.

CorvoSol

Co-Ed Ultimate Frisbee

Wait, no, that sounds like it has the potential to be enjoyable. Whatever potential Astral Ocean has is only for evil now. It's like oral surgery without anesthetics.

So close..

Close in ways no one ever thinks they want to be.

The Devil is a Part Timer 10

Boobs. Bikinis. Butts. Burgers.

The Four Bs. Real talk time: the "oh, there you are momma" scene was horrifying.

Playing the "games should be about gameplay" card doesn't even make sense when you're talking about games in the adventure/visual novel mould where there isn't any real-time action and you spend most of your time reading text. The closest thing to "gameplay" here in the traditional sense is the occasional QTE-style events where you have to make a split-second judgement about which of the girls' powers provides the solution to a situation. Somehow I don't think that should be the core of the game experience.

These kinds of games are about the characters and narrative and audiovisual experience, so it makes perfect sense to judge them on largely the same criteria as you would judge an anime. And if you think any Milky Holmes media doesn't have "moe characters being moe" as one of its major draws, I think you may be deluding yourself >.>
Well, I do think that whether visual novels are really "games" in the traditional sense is something of an open question... they are a kind of video game, I guess, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as normal games. Not when they often have such minimal amounts of interaction. If a game has almost no interaction (ie you spend most of the "game" just clicking through dialog without being able to make any choices or do anything at all), it's not really a game... and it's probably not going to hold my interest either.

And yeah, that's why the only visual novel I've ever actually gotten to an ending in is Love Hina Advance for the GBA. :)

So yeah, you make some fair points here, but it doesn't excuse, or even just make acceptable, most of the rest of the stuff you're talking about.

...But Kobayashi isn't "some other random person", he's a legitimate part of the detective team. He just takes on the leader role, which is a much more sensible role for the player to have than "one of four moeblob detectives" since as you say, this is a videogame, so the player is expected to be the competent one who makes all the important decisions and does the actual deduction. The game handles this pretty well, by letting the Milky Holmes girls do the actual searching for clues at the crime scene, then Kobayashi/the player discusses their findings with each of them individually and then helps them draw conclusions.
I'm sure you could say something similar about Koihime Musou, but that didn't stop the franchise from getting exponentially better when they made the animes and decided to get rid of the guy entirely there. It's the same here.

And anyway, your idea that somehow they just can't be main characters is ridiculous and makes no sense. Of course they could be, and it would work just fine. (Have you ever played the Touch Detective games? They are graphic adventures, of course, not visual novels, but they are comic Japanese detective games about a young girl detective and her all-female friends, involve some magical powers, etc...)

...No, because the difference between an all-ages harem/dating sim and an H harem/dating sim is the presence or absence of sex, not romance. If there's not even any romance, it's not that kind of game. It's just a game with character interaction in it.
No, I think that if it's like a dating sim, it's a dating sim, even if technically the game doesn't end in romance. And what you're describing sure sounds like a dating sim. But if you must, "visual novel" then.

CorvoSol

So Corvo, which show do you hate more? SAO or E7AO?

I haven't finished Astral Ocean yet, but I'm leaning toward that. Sword Art Online was a stupid, if enjoyable show for 14ish episodes. AO was that for like, 5? Suguha's shitting up SAO doesn't happen till the second half of SAO, but Truth's shitting up of AO starts much sooner.

Honestly, though, at this moment Pocket Full of Rainbows is worse than either, mostly because it is in SRWZ2 which means I constantly have to live with it.

Scale of awful at the moment: 00 is worse than PFoR is worse than Rah Xephon is worse than AO is worse than SAO is worse than AGE is worse than Stardust Memory is worse than Majestic Prince is worse than SEED Destiny.

Kurita

In response to the conversation on parents/other family members and their reactions to anime and anime related merchandise I don't think my parents mind it. I mean I've opened most of my recent parcels in front of them. As with any activity they'd only mind if it was taking up all of my time.
Yeah they don't care either. They even think my One Piece figures look pretty good.
They're just a bit annoyed that I buy more mangas than books :lol

CorvoSol

Though my mother was right cheeky and described my recent Alter Akari figurine as a "Japanese sex doll". :mad:

With regards to this jazz, my parents know I watch the animus, and my dad watches his fair share, too. My kid bro mocks me for being weeaboo and playing games in Japanese, but since he plays as many bad games as I do, its in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom